Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Question about tire brands

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Question about tire brands

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-16, 05:58 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
What I can't figure out is why a company like Goodyear who makes really good car and truck tires would want to make schity bicycle tires? You would think they would go the same direction as Conti and Michelin who make quality bicycle and car tires, and keep their image intact. But that's just me, I guess I'm silly for thinking that way.
I suspect Wal Mart sells a lot more bike tires than all the local bike shops in the USA combined. We enthusiasts wouldn't buy a tire from Wal Mart except under the most dire of circumstances, but the rest of the general public sees a tire as a commodity, and will buy the cheapest one.

I used to be into high end audio gear, and audio enthusiasts would feel the same way when some once proud brand suddenly is slapping its name on cheap gear sold at big box stores. Same thing. Non audio enthusiasts buy their gear at big box stores, not specialty stores, and there are a lot more of them than there are of us.
Old 05-06-16, 06:52 PM
techsensei

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
No different then the multitude of frames manufactured by Giant for bicycle companies throughout the world. You don't get to be as big as Giant by selling a single branded bike line.
Giant became huge when they became the OEM for Schwinn in the late 70's. It was only after Schwinn decided to go with another manufacturer that Giant began selling bikes under their own name.
Old 05-06-16, 09:38 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1128 Post(s)
Liked 257 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by techsensei
Giant became huge when they became the OEM for Schwinn in the late 70's. It was only after Schwinn decided to go with another manufacturer that Giant began selling bikes under their own name.
Maybe, but that still doesn't play well for Goodyear other than the money side of the equation. That's fine if Goodyear wants to sell crappy bike tires at Walmart, but then come out with a line of high end tires to cover the whole spectrum, but just to sell cheap crappy tires may make people think their car tires are cheap and crappy. It's kind of like taking 26 ounces of crystal clear water and putting a drop of nasty water, that one drop spoiled the 26 ounces of crystal clear water, well Goodyear is doing that to themselves.
Old 05-06-16, 10:29 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3247 Post(s)
Liked 1,801 Times in 1,083 Posts
The idea that these Goodyear's must be cheap and crappy is faulty. CS can (and do, under Maxxis label) make fine high-performance tires, but even economy tires designed for durability can be good tires. All the Goodyears need to be is "good enough," and they win.
Old 05-06-16, 10:56 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Maybe, but that still doesn't play well for Goodyear other than the money side of the equation.
Bingo.

Tooling to make bike tires likely isn't cheap. Add in competing with low cost Asian manufacturers on products you are selling for $10 a pop at Wal-Mart, there likely just isn't profit there to justify capital expenditure.

Now, enter Cheng Shen tires. They can get in with the biggest retailer in America, Goodyear can make a buck having them affix a label with your name onto their product, and Wal-Mart can market them as a "quality" tire. Win-win-win. As others have mentioned, they aren't horrible tires, I like the Forte branded ones I have well enough for what I paid. They may not pass the discerning eye of everyone here, they may not make sense for the type of biking many here do, but for the person putting on tire that cares the most about whether it fits on their rim, there isn't much discerning being done.
Old 05-07-16, 04:41 AM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

While tooling may not be cheap, most of the high end tires are built in Asia anyways, so all Goodyear has to do is to contract with one of them, and then hire a bicycle tire engineer like Specialized did two years ago, and start making decent tires as well as the cheap ones if they must. The start up costs may be high but not as high as buying your own equipment and doing it all in house.

And there must be profit in the mid to high end tire market otherwise we would either be paying exorbitant prices for tires or not finding any at all. I'm sure there is a lot of profit in tires that's why you see end of the season $75 road tires going for $35. It's a lot like furniture, they have sales where they mark furniture off 50, 60, 70% from suggested retail, do you think furniture retailers are losing money when they do that? no, and neither are the bicycle tire companies. So your profit argument doesn't hold water.
Old 05-07-16, 06:49 AM
jefnvk

So your profit argument doesn't hold water.
Could they make a profit, if they really wanted? Probably. Would it likely be more than a drop in a bucket next to their other tire businesses? Doubtful.

You are looking at this with the idea that Goodyear has a desire to make a quality bike tire. I am looking at this as Goodyear wants to make a quick buck licensing their name, as is very common in all forms of industries and products. I doubt either one of us can prove which it is, unless we happen to be sitting in on meetings at Goodyear.
Old 05-07-16, 08:27 PM
rekmeyata

Originally Posted by jefnvk
Could they make a profit, if they really wanted? Probably. Would it likely be more than a drop in a bucket next to their other tire businesses? Doubtful.

You are looking at this with the idea that Goodyear has a desire to make a quality bike tire. I am looking at this as Goodyear wants to make a quick buck licensing their name, as is very common in all forms of industries and products. I doubt either one of us can prove which it is, unless we happen to be sitting in on meetings at Goodyear.
I hear you, I just have a difficult time wrapping my brain around any reason a quality car tire making company would tarnish their name by making a crappy product that could damage their reputation unless they plan on getting out the quality car tire business and start making crappy car tires in order to spin a fast buck.

Just as personal thing, if I bought a bicycle tire made by Michelin for example, and got a crappy tire I would hesitate to buy a car tire from the same company, I know, I'm weird for thinking like that.
Old 05-07-16, 08:42 PM
jefnvk

I hear you, I just have a difficult time wrapping my brain around any reason a quality car tire making company would tarnish their name by making a crappy product that could damage their reputation unless they plan on getting out the quality car tire business and start making crappy car tires in order to spin a fast buck.

Just as personal thing, if I bought a bicycle tire made by Michelin for example, and got a crappy tire I would hesitate to buy a car tire from the same company, I know, I'm weird for thinking like that.

Completely understandable, not weird at all. My first bike tire selection was motivated by the fact that Kenda modeled a pedal bike tire design and tread off a motorcycle tire I had on my Honda that I liked

I work in the auto industry, and sit in on enough manufacturing meetings to not even bat an eye when something is rebranded and resold under a different manufacturers name anymore. Even happens intra-company, it is ridiculous how things are justified by the business folks!
Old 11-17-16, 07:03 AM
Lucillle
Lucille

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 35 Posts
I'm getting a vintage Dahon folding bike, it should be here tomorrow. Seller says it has almost new Cheng Shen tires.
I'm a senior and I ride 6-10 local, flat terrain, street miles a day, I'm hoping to build up to more. My question, is that I'm trying to understand the differences between different quality tires. I'm on a fixed income, and if a brand of tire is fine for the kind of riding I do, I don't want to pony up money for expensive tires that maybe don't have any additional qualities I'm actually going to use.
When does it make sense to upgrade, and when does it make sense to just wait until and if a new or better tire is needed?
Old 11-17-16, 07:14 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked 1,252 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by Lucillle
I'm getting a vintage Dahon folding bike, it should be here tomorrow. Seller says it has almost new Cheng Shen tires.
I'm a senior and I ride 6-10 local, flat terrain, street miles a day, I'm hoping to build up to more. My question, is that I'm trying to understand the differences between different quality tires. I'm on a fixed income, and if a brand of tire is fine for the kind of riding I do, I don't want to pony up money for expensive tires that maybe don't have any additional qualities I'm actually going to use.
When does it make sense to upgrade, and when does it make sense to just wait until and if a new or better tire is needed?
Tires for neighborhood riding don't need to be the expensive ones.
Up grade when you Tour or do Real Commuting to work and back.

Do you still have your nice Cannondale Touring bike?

Old 11-17-16, 07:40 AM
Lucillle
Lucille

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 35 Posts
No I sold the Cannondale, haven't done much riding the past couple years, am trying to start back riding more since I got rid of the vehicle a little while back.
Old 11-17-16, 07:42 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked 1,252 Times in 628 Posts
No I sold the Cannondale, haven't done much riding the past couple years, am trying to start back riding more since I got rid of the vehicle a little while back.
That was a fine bike.

Old 11-17-16, 07:45 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1516 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 457 Posts
The exact width doesn't matter as much as the bead seat diameter. For a mountain bike/comfort bike 26" wheel, that is almost certainly 559mm. If a 2.1" tire fits in your frame, then you can use it or anything reasonably close but smaller, such as 1.75" or even 1.5" Tread is only useful in dirt or grass; so if you're only on streets and sidewalks, consider a less aggressive tread or even a slick, which will have less rolling resistance.

Virtually all modern tires will have a size stamped in the sidewall somewhere. It'll read something like 54x559, which is the width in mm and the bead seat diameter in mm. Tubes come in ranges of size, but not tires (tires don't stretch.)
Old 11-18-16, 08:00 AM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 251 Times in 152 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
Yeah, that'll definitely convince me to switch from Vittorias.
Old 11-18-16, 11:43 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 227 Posts
While I've had good luck in recent years with Primo, Forte, Schwalbe, Michelin and Panaracer tires, my favorite brand would have to be Acme, except that I've never been able to find any Acme tires. Until now, that is ---> @cme Bike Parts | FlatFree Bicycle Wheelsets
Old 11-18-16, 11:52 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18594 Post(s)
Liked 16,085 Times in 7,549 Posts
What 10 Wheels said. For the type of riding you will be doing right now, you don't need expensive tires.
Old 11-18-16, 12:11 PM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
I'll make a specific recommendation, and others can chime in, or suggest alternatives..

Buy two of these:

Continental Touring Plus Reflex MTB Tire (size 26 x 1.75)
wiggle.com | Continental Touring Plus Reflex MTB Tire | MTB Road Tires

They have a smooth tread center groove that should be much faster rolling, and they should be fairly puncture resistant but I'd be curious what others have to say on puncture resistance.
Old 11-18-16, 02:40 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4813 Post(s)
Liked 1,553 Times in 1,018 Posts
I see a lot of places sell Vredestein tires, but very rarely come across these being mentioned on BF. Any opinions on their lineup?
Old 11-19-16, 06:09 AM
Esteban32696

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am partial to Schwalbe tires & tubes.
Old 11-19-16, 07:06 AM
GrandaddyBiker

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by techsensei
The World's largest retailer Walmart carries Goodyear-branded bicycle tires and tubes. Who knows if they really do make them or if they are just rebranded Cheng-Shin, Kenda, etc.

I know someone who works at the Goodyear plant in Gadsden Alabama. He told me that they have made Goodyear bike tubes and tires in their plant for years. Right here in the good old USA.
Old 11-19-16, 07:33 AM
12strings

Bikes: 2015 Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Most of the major brands have tires from $20 up well done over $100. It's not so much a matter of brand a it is product level. And in general, if you buy a $100+ tire, it will not last as long as a $20 tire.. but it will roll smoother, faster, and be more comfortable.
Old 11-19-16, 08:38 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 958 Times in 494 Posts
https://americancycleandfitness.com/p...re-76292-1.htm

Last edited by 1989Pre; 11-19-16 at 09:21 AM.
Old 11-19-16, 08:57 AM
GrandaddyBiker

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
"Chinese-manufactured, Goodyear-approved replacement tires"

So in other words, they'll be the exact same thing as my Fortes, some Cheng Shens with a Goodyear sticker stuck over the CS branding.

Maybe the Goodyear bicycle tires and tubes are made in China. However, I know for a fact that for years, they have been made in Gadsden, Alabama. Right here in the USA.
Old 11-19-16, 07:40 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3247 Post(s)
Liked 1,801 Times in 1,083 Posts
Upgrade when you start thinking your tires aren't good enough.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.