Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Faster vs. Slower

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-16, 02:40 AM
jfowler85

Bikes: '93 911 Turbo 3.6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
If you're going to nit pick it's confusing when you use mathematical terms incorrectly.
Again - read the concerning post. Hint: this is specific to a graphed function with respect to a certain known variable. Derp.

Originally Posted by wphamilton
It looks parabolic. Because it IS parabolic, not exponential.
...this comment is so dumb I'm not sure if it is intended to be taken seriously.

Originally Posted by asgelle
You know the first rule of holes - when you find yourself at the bottom of a hole, stop digging.

I love when I get to write that (probably too much).
Uhhh sure.

Last edited by jfowler85; 11-19-16 at 02:47 AM.
Old 11-19-16, 08:32 AM
12strings

Bikes: 2015 Jamis Quest Comp

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Why all the math? :-)

While the actual calories burned during a 3.7 mile ride won't be drastic either way, the overall health benefits on your metabolism for the rest of the day will be far greater if you do 10-15 mins of very hard work, vs easy riding.

In fact, some of the shorter cross-fit workouts can last 10-15 minutes of intense effort. Doing that a few times a week IS enough to make real health and fitness gains. Going for a leisurely 15 minute bike ride 3-4 times a week will not have the same effect.

(However, you will get to work all sweaty, so I recommend doing this on your way home)
Old 11-19-16, 11:12 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by 12strings
Why all the math? :-)

While the actual calories burned during a 3.7 mile ride won't be drastic either way, the overall health benefits on your metabolism for the rest of the day will be far greater if you do 10-15 mins of very hard work, vs easy riding.

In fact, some of the shorter cross-fit workouts can last 10-15 minutes of intense effort. Doing that a few times a week IS enough to make real health and fitness gains. Going for a leisurely 15 minute bike ride 3-4 times a week will not have the same effect.

(However, you will get to work all sweaty, so I recommend doing this on your way home)
High intensity intervals do produce gains in cardio fitness faster than normal endurance types workouts. But it's usually advised to balance the sessions with longer workouts or at least periodically change up, so it's not really an either or.

On "all the math", the posts driving it are arguing over several things that one writer doesn't understand, so they can be safely ignored.
Old 11-19-16, 12:09 PM
Yellowbeard

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jfowler85
Derp.

Originally Posted by wphamilton
It looks parabolic. Because it IS parabolic, not exponential.
...this comment is so dumb I'm not sure if it is intended to be taken seriously.

A parabola is a power function, not an exponential function.

They're called "exponential" functions when the exponent is an independent variable, not just because there's an exponent in them somewhere.
Old 11-19-16, 09:23 PM
Kaze6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
According to Einstein, mass increases when speed increases.
Old 12-16-16, 07:50 PM
jfowler85

Bikes: '93 911 Turbo 3.6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yellowbeard
A parabola is a power function, not an exponential function.

They're called "exponential" functions when the exponent is an independent variable, not just because there's an exponent in them somewhere.

No. In the context of a graph's curvature we say that the parabola is the graph of a quadratic function, not the function itself.

Your definition of an exponential function is muddy...partly because you use the term to define itself twice. This might help you parse your definition in clearer terms:

Algebra - Exponential Functions
Old 12-17-16, 01:29 PM
EcoBikeRider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 408mopar
I ride to and from work 3.7 miles each way, 4 times a day. (School bus driver.) It takes me between 14 and 18 minutes, depending on how motivated I am. What burns more calories, faster, but the ride is shorter; or slower, and the ride is longer? ("Fast" is only about 15 mph.)
Same amount of work as long as you keep the gears the same. You could try using lower gears to increase work and burn more calories. This would take you long so that you could enjoy the scenery and do a slower ride.