Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Time for a Tent

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Time for a Tent

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-16, 09:57 AM
mm718

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Squeezebox
I think the BA Rattlesnake looks a lot like the Copper Spur. But the Rattlesnake is 1 lb heavier. I wonder where the extra wt comes from.
mountain glow seems silly to me, at least at first. But I do have a 1 oz flashlight clipped into the ceiling loop of my tent.
I have a BA tent with mountain glow and really don't like it. It's very dim and has an unpleasant depressing hue. You also can't remove the LCD strand, which is sewn into the tent. If I was looking for ambient light I'd get a solar lantern with a brighter softer light.
Old 12-01-16, 12:48 PM
Ty0604
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Fuji Jari

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the BA Rattlesnake looks a lot like the Copper Spur. But the Rattlesnake is 1 lb heavier. I wonder where the extra wt comes from.
mountain glow seems silly to me, at least at first. But I do have a 1 oz flashlight clipped into the ceiling loop of my tent.
Was wondering the same. The specifications sound almost identical while reading them.
Old 12-01-16, 01:31 PM
AdvXtrm

Bikes: 2016 Novara - Safari

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ty0604
Was wondering the same. The specifications sound almost identical while reading them.
It uses heavier denier materials than the Copper Spur. The Copper Spur is part of their "Ultralight Trail" line of tents, the Rattlesnake is part of their "Superlight" line.

So there is a trade-off, but I'm happy with the increased durability of the Rattlesnake, which is listed as being "1 pound" heavier. And of course, come on, it's called the "Rattlesnake"! How hardcore is that?!!! lol

Here's how they list their tents from "Lightest" (most delicate) to "heaviest" (most durable).
https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Tents
Old 12-01-16, 01:38 PM
Ty0604
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Fuji Jari

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sweet! Thanks for the clarification
Old 12-02-16, 10:00 PM
robow

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 200 Posts
Originally Posted by AdvXtrm
The comment regarding the "Drip-line" of the Seedhouse SL2 is definitely something to consider if I go that route, but it looks like it's not an issue that isn't easily averted.
Well I guess we weren't the only ones that complained about the SL2 drip line. I didn't realize that Big Agnes redesigned the SL2 for 2016 and corrected the drip line problem and changed the pole and attachment system so the walls are steeper and you have more "open" room inside, though the floor space and weight seemed to have remained the same.

Old 12-03-16, 02:37 AM
AdvXtrm

Bikes: 2016 Novara - Safari

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by robow
Well I guess we weren't the only ones that complained about the SL2 drip line. I didn't realize that Big Agnes redesigned the SL2 for 2016 and corrected the drip line problem and changed the pole and attachment system so the walls are steeper and you have more "open" room inside, though the floor space and weight seemed to have remained the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCtsedyvqEk
It's a fantastic tent, and is pretty much the only other one I'd want besides the one I ended up ordering.