Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tips for Riding a Tandem

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Tips for Riding a Tandem

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-16, 03:47 PM
Alcanbrad

Bikes: '14 CoMo Carrera, '11 CoMo Primera co-pilot, '98 Santana Visa, a Plethora of road bikes, A commuter/Gravel beast (and 1 MTB)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 39 Posts
All very good suggestions. I would recommend takin a 2 or more night trip on the bike carrying with you what you are planning on carrying. You will learn a lot on that first adventure. Also, have a cycling savvy friend back home that can ship you supplied and clothing as you may need as well as receiving packages you send home of the things you thought you needed but decided you need the space or to reduce weight.

Be sure and blog your trip in real time as having a following will aford you the ability to share the fun and challenges of your adventure and give you a reason to press on.

Good luck!
Old 12-06-16, 07:09 PM
Binky

Bikes: Too, too many....

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Mri G.
Hi everyone!

My partner and I are planning a 6000 mile trip on a tandem bike next year, but neither of us have ever ridden one before.(:
Seriously: the fellow who suggested that you rent or borrow one before you commit to buy sounds a lot more sensible than you do.

Six thousand miles ?

I have a lovely old tandem bike hanging from the rafters of the garage that I had high hopes for but my partner has been on it only once. That was enough for her.

I have ridden it solo on a few occasions since then but she just didn't like it - preferred the feeling of being in control and preferred riding any one of several of her own bikes over the tandem experience.

Bink
Old 12-06-16, 07:20 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3133 Post(s)
Liked 2,115 Times in 1,378 Posts
Don't dis the distant, ambitious part of the plan too hard. They're going to try a secondhand bike. And the stoker is the one here asking for help, not the captain asking how to get his girl to come along. That's enough for starters.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 12-06-16, 11:12 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 599 Times in 331 Posts
Originally Posted by Binky
Seriously: the fellow who suggested that you rent or borrow one before you commit to buy sounds a lot more sensible than you do.
Woman ... not "fellow" ... and stoker ... and, in fact, experienced female stoker who rides long distances.

And yes, I think they jumped the gun on the purchase ... but maybe they can sell it if they discover that it just won't work for them.
Old 12-07-16, 04:24 AM
Mri G.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello, Rob here. I am less worried about the bike handling side of things although I haven't ridden a bicycle more than a couple dozen times since I was a child. I had motorcycles as my only transport for around 4 years riding a heavy bike loaded up with bags and a wriggling passenger is no problem once I am used to the bike. As for load carrying the bike we are getting is rated for 210kg on off road tracks so long as the wheels stay on the ground. There is no way either of us would want to ride hard enough for that to be in question! Also I am 65kg Mri is 50kg so even with more luggage than necessary we will still be well with in the bikes limits (48 spoke wheels both front and rear)
Things I will worry about are things like, not being tough enough to camp out as much as we need to keep costs down. Hills. Maintenance/repairs. Luggage volume. Getting a sore arse. Arguing. Having to stop every half mile for a photo of a bird that later turns out to be a photo of empty sky!
Old 12-07-16, 04:30 AM
Mri G.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For First Page Replies
@kingston We're going to try to do a bit of training before we leave and we've met a tandem cyclist in town who's willing to give us lessons. Given our first day on the trip will require us to cycle around Las Vegas, I'm definitely NOT going to have that as my first time ever because otherwise we would surely die. I'm really nervous around cars even while driving so that's going to be a main focus we will work up to in the coming months. And thanks on the tips for the captain training!
@Carbonfiberboy quote Is it possible to get the whole kit under 25kg? I only ask because that's how much we'll have to spare in plane luggage. Haha. Though we could always buy and ditch gear abroad so I guess it's not too big of a deal.

And thanks about the info on the stoker being able to move around a bit! I was getting a bit nervous there as I wiggle probably more so than average. Haha.
@Machka Well I only work part time at the moment, so hoping to be able to wiggle in a few days or trips inbetween somewhere. However, we won't have a set mileage a day to reach, but just whatever we feel like we're up to. We'll push ourselves a bit every day, but won't go crazy with it and will slowly build ourselves up to whatever number we get to. Out of curiosity though, what's a good average mileage a day to reach for?

@B. Carfree Guess it's a good thing I'm stoker then as I'm used to not feeling well and will take any discomfort in stride. That and I can't really steer nor know anything about gears so I would make a horrible captain. Haha. Good, proper tires are definitely one of the things we're going to invest in. Is there a brand or type you'd suggest for us to look at? I'd like to do more off-roading than on cuz I'm nervous around cars, but I think we'll probably end up on the road more than not because Rob (my partner) is saying it'll be a lot easier. Haha.

@StephenH I don't have much experience on a single bike so I think that might be a plus when getting used to a tandem. My partner used to ride a bit, but hasn't in ages so hopefully he's forgotten what it 'should' feel like. Haha. Thanks for the tip about both standing at the same time if it feels too weird for both to be sitting. Do you have to stand together at the same speed or can you just stand like normal? And got to admit, never thought about the sweat thing. Is there like a shield or something I could get cuz he sweats quite a bit... Probably just have to remember to keep my mouth closed. Haha.

"If you're in the middle of a 24 hour race and the stoker needs pictures of that VW car show, you stop and take pictures of the VW car show." Yay!!! I like taking photos of red rocks and birds so definitely going to show my partner this quote of yours.

@Rowan And thanks about the tip about not just going on trails due to other users! Was just thinking, 'where can we go where there aren't any cars...' so thanks! I'm pretty sure there are a few good dead ends around where we live that would be perfect then. And there's a fairly empty parking lot across our house, though maybe a bit small. How big of a space would be ideal for learning?

And I doubt we'll get a trailer because I'm used to traveling for years at a time with only one (school sized) backpack. My partner on the otherhand is the type who will be adamant about taking giant down jackets and numerous pairs of gloves to Spain...in the middle of summer. But we'll definitely make a list and see what we can and can't cut. He's more of a gear techy so that'll be his job and then I'll go in and strip half of his suggestions. Lols.
Old 12-07-16, 04:42 AM
Mri G.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Second Page Replies:

@Alcanbrad We'll definitely blog about the trip as I run one already over at Our Voyages | Travel Blogs Updating it might be another issue though - have any recommendations about finding/making power?

@Binky We totally agree we should've tested it before buying, but we found a good deal on ebay and I'm fairly stubborn so...I'm pretty sure we'll at least make it to Wyoming before giving up (if we do, which I don't think we will because again, I'm fairly stubborn and partner has gotten use to that. lols) And given I definitely wouldn't even think of doing this trip on a single because I'm just that bad with the whole steering and gearing thing, I think being on a tandem will work for us. I'm also not fussed about my partner having all of the control because out of the two of us, he's the obvious, like ridiculously obvious, choice. I've also jumped off a bridge swing that he created himself that was over rocks and a certain death so definitely have the whole trust thing sorted. Though granted, I am never jumping off a bridge again. Haha.

@Machka Haha we both definitely agree that we jumped the gun on the whole purchase thing, but I haggled the price down to cover return shipping if we don't like it. We also have a shed to keep it in until spring if we want to resell it at the start of the season and aren't fighting for cash atm so can afford to wait.

@rob (disguised as Mri G.)
Originally Posted by StephenH
If you're in the middle of a 24 hour race and the stoker needs pictures of that VW car show, you stop and take pictures of the VW car show.
Ha! The experienced people are on my side!
Old 12-07-16, 09:20 AM
cajoe

Bikes: 1994 Santana Sovereign tandem, 1999 Trek 5000, 1985 Specialized Allez SE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mri G, based on your enthusiasm I predict great success! My wife and I bought our first tandem (used) having never ridden one, and we have really enjoyed it. BTW, about a year ago I wrote a blog post summarizing what we'd learned from the smart people on this forum and based on our first few years of riding. In case you find it helpful: https://joeshappyhour.wordpress.com/...andem-bicycle/
Old 12-07-16, 04:07 PM
Mri G.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cajoe
Mri G, based on your enthusiasm I predict great success! My wife and I bought our first tandem (used) having never ridden one, and we have really enjoyed it. BTW, about a year ago I wrote a blog post summarizing what we'd learned from the smart people on this forum and based on our first few years of riding. In case you find it helpful: https://joeshappyhour.wordpress.com/...andem-bicycle/
Haha, I hope so and thanks! Will definitely check that out. (:
Old 12-07-16, 06:04 PM
Alcanbrad

Bikes: '14 CoMo Carrera, '11 CoMo Primera co-pilot, '98 Santana Visa, a Plethora of road bikes, A commuter/Gravel beast (and 1 MTB)

Second Page Replies:

@Alcanbrad We'll definitely blog about the trip as I run one already over at Our Voyages | Travel Blogs Updating it might be another issue though - have any recommendations about finding/making power?
Great blog. Check out my blog of my ride of the entire length of the Alaska Highway: Brad's AlCan Adventure

Power and internet access can be an issue when you are camping. There were many days/nights where there was no power so some days I was not able to post and would post a few days at a time. Most places are not not like the Yukon and will have power, but you might have to plug in in some strange locations, like public bathrooms or on the side of a building. I can't offer much advice other than to have an extension cord with your to make it a little easier, however, you don't want to carry any unnecessary weight, so, long story short, plug in and charge up when you can, and figure that there may be days when you cannot post.

Enjoy your trip!
Old 12-07-16, 06:59 PM
Mistikka

Bikes: daVinci Global Venture, Marinoni Tourismo Extreme, aging Norco Terrene

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This is madness, you know…

Good for you!

We bought our tandem as a 40th wedding anniversary present to ourselves. We should have done in years earlier.

We've never undertaken a trip of more than a thousand miles on the bike, but based on that I will add two small, but —for us— vital recommendations:
1) padded cycling shorts or underwear
2) chamois cream
Old 12-07-16, 09:04 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3917 Post(s)
Liked 1,975 Times in 1,410 Posts
For First Page Replies
<snip>
@Carbonfiberboy quote Is it possible to get the whole kit under 25kg? I only ask because that's how much we'll have to spare in plane luggage. Haha. Though we could always buy and ditch gear abroad so I guess it's not too big of a deal.<snip>
Yes, because we have ours down to 40-46 lbs. depending on the tour. The first thing to abandon is "nice clothes." Nancy has a stuffable ply dress and black flats. We each have a light LS Nylon shirt and trail runners. Besides bike clothes, that's it.

I've attached a miserable .TXT file of our packing list, miserable because this forum won't allow the PDF due to size.
Attached Files
File Type: txt
tandem_tour_wts_w _stove.txt (2.0 KB, 12 views)
Old 12-08-16, 01:23 AM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

@B. Carfree Guess it's a good thing I'm stoker then as I'm used to not feeling well and will take any discomfort in stride. That and I can't really steer nor know anything about gears so I would make a horrible captain. Haha. Good, proper tires are definitely one of the things we're going to invest in. Is there a brand or type you'd suggest for us to look at? I'd like to do more off-roading than on cuz I'm nervous around cars, but I think we'll probably end up on the road more than not because Rob (my partner) is saying it'll be a lot easier. Haha.

I can't be sure what will work best for you. We ride 26" tires in large part due to having a smaller captain (5'6") since it allows her to have less toe overlap. Compass Bicycles makes a very nice 54 mm 26" tire called the Rat Trap Pass that we find works very well for us both on and off road. However, if we were doing lots of climbing in muddy conditions, it might not offer enough traction. They have other offerings in other wheel sizes. They are expensive, but about as compliant as tires come. I'm sure other folks here can offer advice on other tires that will fill the bill for you.

Your partner is right about road miles being easier. There is less rolling resistance on pavement and the grades aren't usually as steep. However, unpaved roads are definitely a joy to ride on when one is fed up with traffic noise, hassles and risks. He may decide to do more off-road riding as you get along in your trip. I know that happened to us on our first trip way back when. One day we had just had it with the traffic and we took the next turn onto a dirt road. That was so much nicer that we stayed off the pavement at every opportunity for the rest of that trip.
Old 12-08-16, 05:14 AM
Mri G.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@Alcanbrad Thanks for the kind words about my blog. I've left you a message on day four of your trip, but don't think I'll get any notifications if you reply so you might have to let me know on here. (: And think we're going to go with solar panels as my partner has become obsessed with figuring out a way to have constant power. Personally though, I think having a few days without it would be a good thing, so with luck we just won't be able to afford them.
@Mistikka Oh yeah, I forgot kgs were bigger than lbs. Thanks for the 'miserable' list; the numbers are a bit confusing because the columns seemed to have disappeared, but I can still understand the gist of it. (: There's a lot more than I thought we could take due to the weight and size, so that's nice to know that we're not limited to only 20-30 items...though might not tell my partner that as he'll want to cram as much in as he can. Haha. This will be his first 'non-luxury' trip - as in, he'll actually have to carry everything he wants to take. (Since meeting him, we've only ever traveled in a van).
@B. Carfree So should we look at larger or smaller tires due to having a taller captain (5'9/10")? And does the Rat Trap Pass only fit on Compass Bicycles? We have a Dawes Double Edge that should be arriving today. (: Not sure what tires are already on it yet, but I think my partner is looking at something called the Marathon Plus? Do you know if that would be a good fit for our trip?

And I hope so about the more off-roading; I am not a fan of cars even when I'm driving one! lols.
Old 12-08-16, 06:23 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 599 Times in 331 Posts
Let us know how it goes!
Old 12-08-16, 07:07 PM
Alcanbrad

@Alcanbrad Thanks for the kind words about my blog. I've left you a message on day four of your trip, but don't think I'll get any notifications if you reply so you might have to let me know on here. (:

....do you see a lot of bears or other predatory wildlife when cycling? I have a slight fear of being bounced on by a cougar or something when cycling the Rockies next year...

And think we're going to go with solar panels as my partner has become obsessed with figuring out a way to have constant power. Personally though, I think having a few days without it would be a good thing, so with luck we just won't be able to afford them.
We live in Northwestern New Jersey and we have a large black bear population here and I see them quite often when riding. Usually we ignore each other, but mostly when the bear see's you they will turn and run back into the woods. I have come across a lot of different wildlife when riding and only ones I am uncomfortable with are dogs and Bison (Buffalo). I have never come across a mountain Lion but I have heard accounts of them attacking runners and mountain bikers, however, it is very rare and I think a Tandem would give them pause. I wouldn't be too worried while you are riding in the rockies, but if you are camping, pay attention to any warnings and guidelines on bears or moutain lions.

I also think that you won't be able to carry enough solar panels to power your electronics. The best you are likely to get is something that will partially charge your phone over a few hours time. I could be wrong, but last time I looked it was a lot of weight to carry with no appreciable amount of power gain.
Old 12-08-16, 10:13 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

@Alcanbrad Thanks for the kind words about my blog. I've left you a message on day four of your trip, but don't think I'll get any notifications if you reply so you might have to let me know on here. (: And think we're going to go with solar panels as my partner has become obsessed with figuring out a way to have constant power. Personally though, I think having a few days without it would be a good thing, so with luck we just won't be able to afford them. <snip>
My wife and I have done annual 10-day backpacks on the Pacific Crest Trail for decades. There are thru-hikers who do the whole 2600+ miles in one summer and we see them every year. These folks are the definition of weight-obsessed.

During maybe 2012-2014, most of them had solar panels on their backpacks to keep their smartphones charged and probably for the iPod, too. They were still carrying them in Washington, so we know that works. We saw many different models, but the form factor was all about like this: https://www.rei.com/product/106658/g...us-solar-panel

The past two years, we haven't seen any panels. We assume that they've switched to lithium batteries which they recharge about every 4 days when they hit somewhere with electricity. There's a pretty good discussion of these batteries and devices here: https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/86070/

So the question to resolve battery vs. solar panel would be: how often will you find a wall socket?

In any case, not that expensive and able to produce juice for whatever your partner wants, within reason.
Old 12-12-16, 01:22 PM
Mri G.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@Alcanbrad To keep costs down, we're going to be camping most of the time. ...you wouldn't happen to know if most people would be okay if we asked to pitch a tent on their farm or something would you? I know it can't hurt to ask, but I'd like to get an idea of what's actually possible to balance our budget better. I think I'd be really annoyed if I got eaten by a bear/cougar just to save $50. Lols.

And I get what you're saying about the solar panels, but turns out my partner already bought some without syaing anything so...guess we're just gonna have to see how it goes - though he thinks we'll have to be careful with it, but it should be enough. Carbonfiberboy also seems to support that decision a bit so yay!

@Carbonfiberboy My partner got an Anker Powerport Solar Light 15 Watt, whatever that means. Lols. I trust him on finding reliable and suitable gear though so I'm not too fussed. However a second opinion is always nice. (: Not sure how often we'll find a wall socket because neither of us have ever traveled through the Rockies, but hopefully we'll pass a few if the solar light isn't good enough. Assuming you just power up at libraries or something?
Old 12-12-16, 01:23 PM
Mri G.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh and does anyone have any tips about riding offroad? Cuz we went on our first bike trip today (about 13 miles as I had to work after) and hit like three, maybe four rocks and that was enough for me to swear off gravel roads. Haha. I've been told standing helps; so anything other than that if we can't afford a suspension set? (which we probably can't...)
Old 12-12-16, 01:39 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Oh and does anyone have any tips about riding offroad? Cuz we went on our first bike trip today (about 13 miles as I had to work after) and hit like three, maybe four rocks and that was enough for me to swear off gravel roads. Haha. I've been told standing helps; so anything other than that if we can't afford a suspension set? (which we probably can't...)
Check out the Body Float seat post thread.

Big tires. The largest you can mount that will clear the bike's structure, run at the lowest pressure that will prevent pinch flats.

The photos I've seen of the trails involved don't look rough. Mostly dirt. We've ridden our skinny tire road tandem, loaded, on roads with rocks the size of potatoes. It works. Biggest problem with roads like that is tire damage to light road tires.

My wife doesn't like riding the tandem on gravel because the back end moves around. If we did it enough, she'd get used to it though.
Old 12-12-16, 01:45 PM
Alcanbrad

@Alcanbrad To keep costs down, we're going to be camping most of the time. ...you wouldn't happen to know if most people would be okay if we asked to pitch a tent on their farm or something would you? I know it can't hurt to ask, but I'd like to get an idea of what's actually possible to balance our budget better. I think I'd be really annoyed if I got eaten by a bear/cougar just to save $50. Lols.

As the old saying goes "it is easier to catch flies with honey rather than vinegar." You will probably find that you will have a lot of luck just by asking "Excuse me, we're traveling through and it's getting late. Do you know of somewhere we can pitch our tent for the night?" People tend to feel more generous offering hospitality rather than being asked for it. You will likely often find that they offer to let you camp in their back yard and will offer you use of their shower and a hot meal. It's a great way to meet people.

Good luck.
Old 12-12-16, 02:28 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
If you don't want to spring for the body float, I'm told that the thudbuster is much better than nothing.
Old 12-14-16, 02:38 PM
Mayonnaise
Arschgaudi

Bikes: Merckx Team SC, Masi (fixed), Merckx Cyclo-Cross

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
You're not avid cyclists, never ridden a tandem but are planning a 6000 mile trip next year? Is that what I'm hearing? I've been a serious cyclist since Lemond won the Coors classic in 1981, I'm very familiar with the physical and emotional demands of long hours in the saddle.

Of course you're going to do what you're going to do, but I'd strongly suggest reconsidering that trip this soon. If you proceed I can promise you many of those 6K miles will be pedaled in misery.
Old 12-14-16, 06:47 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Hello, Rob here. I am less worried about the bike handling side of things although I haven't ridden a bicycle more than a couple dozen times since I was a child. I had motorcycles as my only transport for around 4 years riding a heavy bike loaded up with bags and a wriggling passenger is no problem once I am used to the bike. As for load carrying the bike we are getting is rated for 210kg on off road tracks so long as the wheels stay on the ground. There is no way either of us would want to ride hard enough for that to be in question! Also I am 65kg Mri is 50kg so even with more luggage than necessary we will still be well with in the bikes limits (48 spoke wheels both front and rear)
Things I will worry about are things like, not being tough enough to camp out as much as we need to keep costs down. Hills. Maintenance/repairs. Luggage volume. Getting a sore arse. Arguing. Having to stop every half mile for a photo of a bird that later turns out to be a photo of empty sky!
Well, those are things to worry about all right. But only a worry if your team hasn't already hashed all that out in the past 5000 miles or so.

Camping out doesn't require toughness, just the right gear and the experience to choose the right gear.

Hills aren't a problem. Your team just needs the experience in mental and physical conditioning to climb them, plus the experience to choose the gearing to use, plus the experience of knowing how to implement the gearing choice you'd like to make.

Maintenance/repairs can be a problem if you don't have the experience in how to perform the required maintenance or the experience to choose the tools and spares you might/will need on a tour of this intensity.

Luggage volume isn't a problem. You just need the experience in touring necessary to know what to take, what to leave behind, and how to pack it all into a small, waterproof volume.

Getting a sore ass isn't a problem if you already have had that very experience and have figured out how to solve/ameliorate it.

Arguing won't be a problem for long, I guarantee it. Bird photos are a part of that same subject.

You may notice that there's a theme here. Experience. OK, so on the positive side, it's possible to get it, starting right now. It's snowing up north, but I'm sure you can find an area to tour for a couple weeks somewhere in this big country, preferably including some gravel roads. Try the Touring forum for advice on where and routes.

Edit: Here ya go, perfect practice area, see: https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/10...ja-divide.html

Last edited by Carbonfiberboy; 12-14-16 at 07:02 PM.
Old 12-15-16, 10:08 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
If you don't want to spring for the body float, I'm told that the thudbuster is much better than nothing.
We're going to try the Suntour seatpost. If adjusted properly, they're supposed to be pretty good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.