Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Masters Racing (All Disciplines)
Reload this Page >

Training for Racing All Disciplines

Search
Notices
Masters Racing (All Disciplines) Race on the track or road or on your mountainbike in the Masters Category? Want to talk tactics, strategy and training with your peers?

Training for Racing All Disciplines

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-16, 04:23 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
And these cloud socks would be perfect for climbing rides:

DeFeet International
Old 12-14-16, 02:20 AM
Rowan

Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Hope your mother's surgery has turned out well, HP.
Old 12-14-16, 08:29 AM
IBOHUNT

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck

Liked 26 Times in 10 Posts
5k of ru**i*g at noon then an hour on the trainer after work. At the end did some big gear work for [MENTION=207647]sarals[/MENTION] then some spinny stuff for [MENTION=208276]revchuck[/MENTION].
Old 12-14-16, 12:18 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Hi all!

Moms surgery was gnarly and took 6ish hours. But in the end: mission accomplished. She did quite well with the anesthesia and even made it to a surgery floor (as opposed to ICU) last night. Today she's just very tired & puny but so far so good.

It's actually sunny and non-bleak here today, temps in the 30s-40s. Definitely rideable weather but man the roads here are not bike-friendly. How did I ever ride here as a kid and not get creamed???

So another trainer workout for me today, 1:15 with 40 min of over-under intervals. Simultaneously seemed very difficult and also quite doable. Such a long time since I've done any workouts on the trainer though! It's super-pleasing to me to make these perfect little squared off intervals on my power tracings in my data file. But pedaling is so different on the trainer- not this beautiful, elegant, soaring feeling like on the road. Feels like work.

But I always feel so much happier & more settled after any kind of ride- trainer, road, whatever. I just like bikes I guess.
Old 12-14-16, 12:42 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Well, I was seriously thinking about skiing today. But on further review:

Winds: southwest 25 to 40 mph with gusts 65 to 70 mph. Gusts over 80 mph likely in wind prone areas around Reno, Carson City and Minden. Sierra Ridge gusts up to 130 mph.

Guy died in an avalanche over the weekend, watched the helicopters doing S & R from my office window. Not great decision making, after 3 days of a wet snow dumped over rocks him and his buddy ducked the out of bounds rope, hiked a ridge line, then dropped in on a wind blown ultra steep chute. First guy made it. Both were 60. You'd think they'd know better.

Last edited by Racer Ex; 12-14-16 at 12:46 PM.
Old 12-14-16, 01:14 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Liked 5,281 Times in 3,011 Posts
Good to hear, [MENTION=351576]Heathpack[/MENTION]. Continued positive thoughts.
Old 12-14-16, 01:25 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Liked 5,281 Times in 3,011 Posts
Yesterday morning, I had to check to make sure I had the correct weight on. It really was that good. Last night, I pretty much thought I was going to die. The intervals were just beating me up. Dang bike keeps messing with the weights, and the weights keep messing with the bike. But it's at the point where I'm winning the mental game that comes along daily, and putting solid workouts together, so that's really the name of the game, at this point.
Old 12-14-16, 02:22 PM
Dalai

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Heathpack
Moms surgery was gnarly and took 6ish hours. But in the end: mission accomplished. She did quite well with the anesthesia and even made it to a surgery floor (as opposed to ICU) last night. Today she's just very tired & puny but so far so good.
Great news Heathpack!
Old 12-14-16, 06:15 PM
Bandera
~>~

Liked 184 Times in 123 Posts
I'm Shrinking!

As the Wicked Witch of the West, who my Evil Twin Skippy dated for years, so famously said: "I'm shrinking!"

Nagging knee discomfort, reviewed fit data: Right on the money on all three road bikes.
On "feel" lowered the saddle ~3 mm: Ahhh, that's better.

A function of advanced age no doubt, I've been getting a bit hoarse shouting "Get off my lawn" lately too.....

PS: Having the Wicked With of the West over for the holidays with Skippy was always interesting.
She was Vegan/Lactose-Gluten-Protein-Lipid-H2O intolerant and her flying monkeys were not house trained.

-Bandera:

Last edited by Bandera; 12-14-16 at 07:39 PM.
Old 12-14-16, 06:53 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
[MENTION=351576]Heathpack[/MENTION] - wonderful news on mom. Sending love!

Trainer this morning myself. Cadence work. Over unders with high cadence on the over. X 5 with 1 minute RBI between each. I left quite a puddle of sweat on the floor. That made it really worth it!

Yesterday at the last minute I realized what it was and that Barb would be at Hellyer. The weather was threatening, but okay. I missed a couple of sessions at the track, so I decided I'd text Barb and ask if I could join her. She said "Yes!" and Coach said "Yes!". It was a really good session, considering I'm off form, up three pounds, and still in healing mode. We did mock team sprints, some chasing, and some flying 200's. I just LOVE riding on that banked concrete!
Old 12-14-16, 09:12 PM
happybday29475

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Racer Ex
Well, I was seriously thinking about skiing today. But on further review:

Winds: southwest 25 to 40 mph with gusts 65 to 70 mph. Gusts over 80 mph likely in wind prone areas around Reno, Carson City and Minden. Sierra Ridge gusts up to 130 mph.

Guy died in an avalanche over the weekend, watched the helicopters doing S & R from my office window. Not great decision making, after 3 days of a wet snow dumped over rocks him and his buddy ducked the out of bounds rope, hiked a ridge line, then dropped in on a wind blown ultra steep chute. First guy made it. Both were 60. You'd think they'd know better.
I'm actually taking an avalanche class right now. In Colorado right now: snow a month ago, super cold but no precipitation since, recent dumping with a lot of wind...the message? Stay out of the mountains...
Old 12-14-16, 09:15 PM
happybday29475

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
Yesterday morning, I had to check to make sure I had the correct weight on. It really was that good. Last night, I pretty much thought I was going to die. The intervals were just beating me up. Dang bike keeps messing with the weights, and the weights keep messing with the bike. But it's at the point where I'm winning the mental game that comes along daily, and putting solid workouts together, so that's really the name of the game, at this point.
I'm not being coached right now. It's really quite stunning how quickly every single ride goes to tempo. lol. Even the zwift races are pretty much just more tempo!

Curiously, I'm setting power PR's for these mid-time efforts. I'm thinking that's a hangover/rested effect from a month ago. How ironic that a coach's best work product comes immediately after they're not coaching you.

I love my old coach. I'm sure that a cliff is coming.
Old 12-15-16, 10:00 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Good morning all y'all.

Trainer workout this am, in the garage watching it snow. Some big gear stuff which was actually fun and challenging. And some high power/high cadence stuff that was a bit of an epic fail. I gave up on it because thatsnwhatbyoure supposed to do, right, if you're not making your targets on your intervals? But I regret giving up because in retrospect I think it was a bit of a technique thing and more practice would have been helpful for next time. And I'm off the bike tomorrow so it's not like I needed to save my legs for anything.

Sitting here drinking my delicious coffee-banana-vanilla recovery drink (Im improvising while traveling!) and some Bircher muesli. I've been into this muesli for the past few months, I have it for breakfast most days now. Totally weirdo thing to eat but really nutritious and it tastes so good to me. I'll post it up in the nutrition thread.

Shower, then 20 min guided meditation on "acceptance". Lol, good topic right before picking my cousin up at the airport. But it also pertains to TT efforts I think, just accepting the discomfort and not worrying about altering it...
Old 12-15-16, 10:03 AM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
where in NY are you right now?

also, how's your mother doing?
Old 12-15-16, 10:35 AM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Originally Posted by rapwithtom
I'm actually taking an avalanche class right now.
I need to do that this year. I've been relying on friends with that expertise; ton of back country skiers and skiing within 15 minutes of the house, and it's not hard to talk folks into playing hooky. Be good to have both the flexibility to head out on my own and another set of eyes though. On the "To Do" list it goes.

I figured the guys weren't local; The Chutes are pretty notorious for burying poachers almost every year and you could have checked every box on a "Don't Go" list with the current conditions. Even when they are open and they've done controls I've had some fairly big sloughs and they recommend having a beacon. Plus they were skiing on the weekend. Sure enough, ENT doctor from the Bay Area.

Door's open if you want to head west. Good video. There are a ton of different lines and some of them are definitely yard sales if you make a mistake.

Old 12-15-16, 12:06 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
2:10 at endurance pace this morning. I did it fasted, and couldn't start until 8:40, so I was starving when I started. The hungry feeling went away after I got going. Two days ago it was in the mid-70s; average temp for the ride today was 41 and the headwind was following me around again. Also set a new PR today for annual mileage - the old one was 8204, I'm at 8214 so far. Plus I turned 65.

Demain, on roule!
Old 12-15-16, 12:16 PM
Bandera
~>~

Liked 184 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by revchuck
Plus I turned 65.
Happy birthday, welcome to the Medicare club.

-Bandera
Old 12-15-16, 01:10 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Originally Posted by echappist
where in NY are you right now?

also, how's your mother doing?
We're on the north shore of Long Island, which is where I grew up.

Moms doing pretty well. Maybe needs a packed red cell transfusion but that is totally doable. All things considered, pretty good.

Haha, my cousin told me at lunch how her vet put her dog on a diet but she doesn't agree that he's fat. First thing my mother says to her when she sees a recent pic of the dog: "he's getting fat".
Old 12-15-16, 01:29 PM
IBOHUNT

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck

Liked 26 Times in 10 Posts
Good news about mum [MENTION=351576]Heathpack[/MENTION]

Happy Birthday [MENTION=208276]revchuck[/MENTION]

5K ru**i*g yesterday at noon followed by 90 minutes on Zwift.
Don't get the entire deal about Zwift. Pretty lame graphics, not much customization. The developers could learn a lot from the gaming world I think.
Old 12-15-16, 01:41 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Nicely done [MENTION=208276]revchuck[/MENTION]!

Pretty good for a codger. Have a great birthday!
Old 12-15-16, 02:01 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Heathpack
We're on the north shore of Long Island, which is where I grew up.

Moms doing pretty well. Maybe needs a packed red cell transfusion but that is totally doable. All things considered, pretty good.
oh wow, in which case kinda surprised that it's snowing where you are (i though you may be up the Hudson valley). it's just brutally cold in NJ right now, but no flurries.

Also smart move bringing the trainer. Lon Gisland apparently isn't very bike friendly
Old 12-15-16, 02:01 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Originally Posted by revchuck
Plus I turned 65.

Happy Birthday!
Old 12-15-16, 03:32 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Originally Posted by echappist
oh wow, in which case kinda surprised that it's snowing where you are (i though you may be up the Hudson valley). it's just brutally cold in NJ right now, but no flurries.

Also smart move bringing the trainer. Lon Gisland apparently isn't very bike friendly
It only snowed for like 15 minutes. But I had the garage door open and a fan on me (yes in the brutally cold temps), so it was like a blizzard from where I sat.

Joisey. I have cousins there. I forgot how Catholic this NY metro area is. People are forever praying around here. Feels foreign to me now. We're Irish Catholic which is different than Italian Catholic, the main other faction (aside from Jews) hereabouts.
Old 12-15-16, 03:59 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Liked 2,851 Times in 1,595 Posts
Yesterday low cadence tempo around Fiesta Island and today, ride as I feel over / under intervals at Fiesta on the TT bike.

So what the hell is a ride as I feel over/under interval. It is acknowledgement that constant tempo riding is well just getting good at tempo and not really that useful. A ride as I feel over/under interval is a concession to having to ride something harder and at a longer duration to improve fitness. I set the upper and lower numbers and duration as it suits me to start with no real expectation but try to raise the upper and lower set points as the workout progresses.

These are almost failure proof and generally I hit good numbers.
Old 12-15-16, 04:00 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Liked 2,851 Times in 1,595 Posts
[MENTION=208276]revchuck[/MENTION] Welcome to the varsity. We have a lot of promising JV around this forum. Let's show them how its done by the upperclassmen.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.