Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

How much should you spend on an older bike?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

How much should you spend on an older bike?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-16, 01:02 PM
WolfRyder

Bikes: Not that many, just getting started.

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Flintshooter
At what point do you stop spending money on restoration?
I have a 84 Fuji Sundance that has seen little to no maintenance beyond oiling the chain, and tire changes. It doesn't have anywhere near the miles my Trek does, but I suspect a complete overhaul may involve replacing several components. Even if everything else was perfect, I want to add a team pro saddle that will set me back at least $130. The bike was $425 new. There are no direct new bike comparisons, but the closest would be over $600. A new bike would be getting the Brooks saddle.
I can do a lot of things, but I’m not a bike mechanic. Beyond the most simple of things, I will be paying for any work done. At what point do you leave an old bike as it is instead of investing in keeping it as close to new as possible?
Good, bad, mediocre deals around, (on the only original once) CV bikes and bits, and it is all Used to varying degrees. However at least CV stuff doesn't really depreciate like all the new fangled Carbon, overpriced, aero, big overseas factory made, (crapola to 80's me) out there.

I am going to be an enabler and say just keep collecting vintage bikes, until you have enough of a donor pile to pull parts off/swap of that you will most likely want/need. I am not a mechanic either but am determined to learn, so will be volunteering at local bike clinic in New Year.

Last edited by WolfRyder; 12-20-16 at 05:12 PM.
Old 12-20-16, 01:08 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1303 Post(s)
Quoted: 4703 Post(s)
Liked 5,866 Times in 2,308 Posts
how much discretionary dollars do you have?
About that much.
If you become addicted, there may be a multiplier.
Old 12-20-16, 01:37 PM
Scarbo
Erik the Inveigler

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1310 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Depends. For my '72 Raleigh restoration I bought a new Brooks B17 saddle and leather bar tape, Velo Orange fenders, new Paselas, and a new IRD freewheel. I got the bike looking really sweet! Then, I made the mistake of taking it and showing it to my dad last weekend and now he wants it back! And, being the good son that I am, I told him it was his Christmas present! I now hope that father remembers me fondly. In his will.
Old 12-20-16, 01:54 PM
bulldog1935
Banned.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh International utility; '98 Moser Forma road; '92 Viner Pro CX upright

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I hope he rides it
Old 12-20-16, 02:03 PM
LouB 
Old guy on a Bike

Bikes: Trek 7.4, Gitane Super Corsa '71, Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, Charrel '78, Tommasini Diamante, Trek Verve+

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Hudson308
+1
amen to that. I've also found that all of the parts (of varying quality) that I put into my bikes, keep getting recycled. I put a garden variety DR or set of brakes etc on an old bike to "get it going;" ride it a while, like it and upgrade this or that, then those take off parts wind up on some new project. Hard for me to think of it in dollars and cents I'm afraid.
Old 12-20-16, 02:06 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 513 Post(s)
Quoted: 7389 Post(s)
Liked 2,546 Times in 1,481 Posts
If an expense on a bike can give you more use or better use out of it, it's worth it. The selling value of the bike is irrelevant if you're going to keep it. And if you keep it going, you can keep it. A new bike won't save money in most cases.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-20-16, 02:14 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 269 Post(s)
Quoted: 4546 Post(s)
Liked 6,499 Times in 3,731 Posts
That's what I'm talkin about! Coolest thing ever! Very well done.

Originally Posted by Scarbo
Depends. For my '72 Raleigh restoration I bought a new Brooks B17 saddle and leather bar tape, Velo Orange fenders, new Paselas, and a new IRD freewheel. I got the bike looking really sweet! Then, I made the mistake of taking it and showing it to my dad last weekend and now he wants it back! And, being the good son that I am, I told him it was his Christmas present! I now hope that father remembers me fondly. In his will.
Old 12-20-16, 02:20 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 527 Post(s)
Quoted: 3266 Post(s)
Liked 3,982 Times in 1,470 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
how much discretionary dollars do you have?
About that much.
If you become addicted, there may be a multiplier.
True. Eventually you end up hiring former Enron accountants to help explain your bike expenses to your significant other, but by then it's too late to worry about it.
Old 12-20-16, 05:07 PM
Flintshooter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This isn't something I am thinking about buying. It is a bike I bought new in 1984. I guess a better question would be, "does it make sense to pay more than half the original cost to keep riding an older bike". I have no intention of selling it. Factored in, is, considering inflation and passage of time, how a bicycle that cost $400 in 1984 compares to one that costs $600 in 2017.
Thanks to all. You have given me several things to think about.
Old 12-20-16, 05:18 PM
bulldog1935
Banned.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh International utility; '98 Moser Forma road; '92 Viner Pro CX upright

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
what he said - this bike was first built in May '76, ridden all those years, and I rebuilt it 3 times after that - I'm sure I put 5 times the original cost into it, but couldn't replace it with a nicer bike for even more.

Originally Posted by bulldog1935
It's both less expensive and greener to maintain/upgrade your old steel bike than it is to import a new China cookie cutter.

Old 12-20-16, 05:25 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by Scarbo
Then, I made the mistake of taking it and showing it to my dad last weekend and now he wants it back! And, being the good son that I am, I told him it was his Christmas present! I now hope that father remembers me fondly. In his will.
LOL. You know you had to do it.

Think of the bright side, now you have a good excuse to resto another slightly fancier one for yourself.
Old 12-20-16, 07:35 PM
Scarbo
Erik the Inveigler

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
LOL. You know you had to do it.

Think of the bright side, now you have a good excuse to resto another slightly fancier one for yourself.
I'm working on it! I don't want to say anything until negotiations are complete. Then I get to start the whole process over again!
Old 12-20-16, 07:36 PM
bulldog1935
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
it was looking really good - you may be read for Honjo fenders on the next.
Old 12-20-16, 07:37 PM
Scarbo
Erik the Inveigler

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I hope he rides it
I think he will. He had fun riding it around the neighborhood last weekend. I think he was really impressed with how it looked and rode!

Still, in the end (which I hope will not be for decades!) it should come back to me!
Old 12-20-16, 07:53 PM
Scarbo
Erik the Inveigler

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
it was looking really good - you may be read for Honjo fenders on the next.
Hi, Bulldog! Are the Honjo fenders better? Please tell me what you think.

I was satisfied with the VO fenders, overall, but the rear one seemed to squeak a bit more than I would have liked.
Old 12-20-16, 08:00 PM
bulldog1935
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
VO fenders are great . If you have a squeak, the answer is usually leather washers at the mount points.
Acorn has the best - they're always in stock https://www.acornbags.com/products/leather-washers

Honjos are just slightly lighter, have more hardware options, and the blanks come without any holes so you can usually install them a little cleaner by placing your own holes.

Last edited by bulldog1935; 12-20-16 at 08:04 PM.
Old 12-20-16, 08:31 PM
Scarbo
Erik the Inveigler

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Those are nice fenders too.

You just gave me a thought. I think I have to look at where the fender attaches at the rear brakes. Maybe put a piece of rubber or leather in there. Can't have dad squeaking around the neighborhood, after all! Thank you!
Old 12-20-16, 08:58 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,804 Times in 1,801 Posts
I'm probably spending more time and money on a '92 Univega mountain bike than it's worth, but the goal is to get reacquainted with doing my own maintenance so I won't screw up a more expensive bike down the road. It's a fun bike and a good learning experience.
Old 12-20-16, 09:21 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
It's mine until it or I stop working for good. I spend what is required or for what I wanted.

And I'm pretty much a person who takes bikes and makes them into what I wanted.

They haven't made Rollfast bikes in 40+ years anyway.
Old 12-21-16, 07:41 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2299 Post(s)
Liked 2,061 Times in 1,258 Posts
Originally Posted by Flintshooter
At what point do you leave an old bike as it is instead of investing in keeping it as close to new as possible?
If you don't have the time or inclination to work on your own bike, look for something like this, in your size of course.

It's very similar to your bike and the restoration has already been done for you. It's in the sales section. And it's red!

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...ockhopper.html
Old 12-22-16, 07:41 PM
sonatageek

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
If you are interested in learning and doing most of the work yourself, I would fix the bike up. How about posting a couple of pictures so we would have a better idea of its condition.

As long as the bike is still ride-able, you can do the re-furbishing over time.

I looked over the original specs of the bike and it has the power thumb shifters that I love.
Old 12-23-16, 11:12 AM
wxflyer

Bikes: a few classic Ritcheys, a Mt. Tam, and a "modern" Klein mtb ('99)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It depends...

I just spent $300 on a 'new' fork for my Klein MTB. Because the old fork was inop. It was the original, marginal Manitou and I always wanted a Fox. Found a pristine F80 w/ v-brake bosses, 80mm just like stock. I updated the entire drivetrain 10 years ago -- damn how time flies -- and I like the bike. I can do all I want to do with it and frankly I enjoy wrenching on it. So I'll spend money fixing what needs to be fixed. Custom wheel set is next, but probably not until I wear out the originals, which still have some life left in them.