Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

LHT done New Photos

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

LHT done New Photos

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-05, 12:07 PM
FarHorizon
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Congratulations! Looks like a pleasant ride. I'm having wheels built for my Klein Navigator and will post photos when it's done.
Old 12-14-05, 02:17 PM
eric von zipper

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, Thorn Sherpa

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
great looking bike, lht comrade
Old 12-14-05, 03:52 PM
eofelis 
The Rock Cycle

Bikes: Salsa Vaya Ti, Specialized Ruby, Gunnar Sport, Motobecane Fantom CXX, Jamis Dragon, Novara Randonee x2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by metal_cowboy
I like the "no sticker look". I guess I need to take the butter knife to my LHT!
I've been thinking of taking the decals off my LHT too. And my Pacer. I like the "stealth" look on bikes.
Novara Randonee x2
Motobecane Fantom CXX
Jamis Dakar XCR
Old 12-15-05, 10:16 AM
Schumius
senile member

Bikes: 1 mtb converted for commuting (actually, collecting dust in the garage), a LHT with "durable components"

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What a beauty Fixer, can I have it for Christmas?
Old 12-15-05, 04:58 PM
smasher

Bikes: 2 3-speeds, 2 single-speeds, a Bianchi Volpe, old GT MTB...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This one's mine:

Build details:
- Sugino XD600 cranks
- SRAM 8.0 rear cassette (8-speed)
- Deore rder
- Deore XT fder
- Deore LX/CR18 rear wheel
- Shimano 600/CR18 front wheel
- Shimano low-profile cantis
- Cane Creek headset
- Brooks B17
- Nitto B115 h'bars
- Parts-bin Dia-Compe levers
- Tektro extension levers
- Shimano 8-speed bar-ends
- SKS P45 fenders
- Blackburn rack

I'm still getting used to the very low bottom bracket; I normally ride fixed, and I can't really pedal through turns the way I'm used to. But it's a very capable bike, and very, very solid and stable.

Last edited by smasher; 12-18-05 at 07:56 AM.
Old 12-15-05, 06:12 PM
Rich B.

Bikes: LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just the bike I've been considering! A local shop will build one for me for $2000. That's too rich for me so I'm considering building my own. Is that the route you took, and did you save lots that way? I've never built a bike before, but I am handy and up for the challenge if it will cost less in the long run. Just how steep is the learning curve for bike building? Thanks, Rich
Old 12-16-05, 08:52 AM
smasher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not a pro, but I've built a lot of bikes, and I volunteer regularly at Bikes Not Bombs in Boston.

It all depends on how ambitious you want to be. If you haven't built one before, start with a single-speed conversion, or find an old bike and take it apart to see it's put together. I don't think I'd start with a LHT.

You don't need to build EVERYTHING yourself. (Wheel building is its own thing, and takes a while to learn how to do well.) There are some places where you can make your life a little easier (cartridge bottom brackets, friction shifting instead of indexed, new-style cantilevers (the new Shimanos, or the Tektro Oryx, or Avid Shorties), etc.) Scrounge around and you should be able to find some good stuff.

It'd be a good idea to work with somebody who knows what they're doing, who can check your work and make sure you haven't done anything unsafe (like a bad brake setup, etc.). And there are a lot of specialized tools you'll need access to in order to do some of the work.
Old 12-16-05, 08:58 AM
smasher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh--and I scrounged up a lot of the parts. Most of it was stuff I had lying around. The crank, bb, headset and brakes were new; everything else either came from other bikes (my old Volpe, and another bike I'd built up a few years ago), or was bought over time at swap meets, Bikes Not Bombs, or off Craig's List. So this bike wasn't a $2000 bike for me.
Old 12-16-05, 11:14 AM
roadfix
hello

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by smasher
This one's mine:
Smasher.....Your bike photo isn't popping up.

Prior posts.....thanks for all your comments. I've been commuting to work on weekends on the LHT, lightly loaded. The bike is everything I expected and have absolutely no complaints. I'm getting a lot of compliments on the color....

Since I had most used mtb components on hand, my build only cost me a bit over $600, and that includes the cost of the new frameset and new Tubus rack. I'm happy with the component selection so far and don't think I'll change anything. Thanks...

George
Old 12-16-05, 02:38 PM
halfbiked
dangerous with tools

Bikes: fat, long, single & fast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Fixer
I'm getting a lot of compliments on the color....

I can't believe they dropped sage green.
Old 12-18-05, 08:02 AM
smasher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Fixer
Smasher.....Your bike photo isn't popping up.

Prior posts.....thanks for all your comments. I've been commuting to work on weekends on the LHT, lightly loaded. The bike is everything I expected and have absolutely no complaints. I'm getting a lot of compliments on the color....

Since I had most used mtb components on hand, my build only cost me a bit over $600, and that includes the cost of the new frameset and new Tubus rack. I'm happy with the component selection so far and don't think I'll change anything. Thanks...

George
Whoops; I fixed it. (I'm new to this forum and I haven't gotten the hang of everything yet.)

I'm getting a lot of comments on the color, too, though I haven't honestly bonded with it yet. Just finished the build in October or so--just in time for the weather to go wrong. Now I'm back on my winter bike.

My LHT replaces a burgundy Bianchi Volpe. The Volpe is a good bike, but I wasn't so happy with the geometry. I liked the color, though.
Old 12-18-05, 11:38 AM
roadfix
hello

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by smasher
Whoops; I fixed it. (I'm new to this forum and I haven't gotten the hang of everything yet.)

I'm getting a lot of comments on the color, too, though I haven't honestly bonded with it yet. Just finished the build in October or so--just in time for the weather to go wrong. Now I'm back on my winter bike.

My LHT replaces a burgundy Bianchi Volpe. The Volpe is a good bike, but I wasn't so happy with the geometry. I liked the color, though.
Nicely done! It's amazing given the choice of colors, green, green , and green (I know new colors are out), every LHT build have been distinctively different in appearance.