Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Quality time with my home built time machine

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Quality time with my home built time machine

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-17, 03:24 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Liked 348 Times in 176 Posts
Your GAN is more blingy than mine...and I do like the chrome! I really want a Telekom at some point (my favorite of the Merckx schemes).

I'm going to try and get this built up after tax season.

Old 01-06-17, 03:26 PM
fury413rb

Bikes: '99 CDale Multisport 2000, '97 CDale R800 w/11spd Ultegra, '98 CDale F400, '80 Voyaguer 11.8 chrome

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by styggno1
Sorry I do not speak Shimano. I am fluent in Campagnolo and after a couple of beers I get by in Mavic too. I wish I had paid more attention thru the Superb Pro lessons at school but I skipped Shimano class all together.

But I am catching up. To my knowledge, after some reseach when buying this bike, this is 1991 Dura Ace.
Originally Posted by Stevensb
Great looking bike! I'm a confirmed Campagnolo fan but must admit that DuraAce gruppo looks the part. Which generation is it?

Thanks.

Brad

Its Dura-Ace 7400 which started in 1984. It was the first indexed generation. In 1990 they introduced integrated "brifters" into the line up. I dont think much changed until 7700 came out in '96
Old 01-06-17, 03:36 PM
styggno1
Steel is real

Bikes: 40 - accumulated over 40 years

Liked 1,116 Times in 310 Posts
What makes me believe my Dura Ace is from around 1991 and original to the frame is that it is 8 speed and has dual pivot brakes as - from what I know came in 90-91? Mine does not have the brifters but that was up to the customer to chose or not.
Old 01-07-17, 08:38 AM
Jonathan Hanson 

Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
What a fun way to post this, and what a beautiful specimen! (Although personally I have to say that midnight blue one is a knockout.)

I do hope you ride them occasionally. It would be a shame to have them exclusively as wall hangers, however perfect.
Old 01-07-17, 10:25 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Liked 1,125 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
Incredible looking bike, one of the prettiest Merckx bicycles I have seen. Next time you travel back in time, please pick me up one too.

Bill

Yes! - Me too! - Size 53 or 54 please
Old 01-07-17, 10:27 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Liked 1,125 Times in 746 Posts
Thank you all!

IMotorola work horse:

]
I see the number hanger and small script on the top tube -- is that a former team member's name?

Beautiful machinery - all of them
Old 01-07-17, 10:40 AM
gomango

Liked 259 Times in 144 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
Cool bikes, cool thread.

A MXL Leader is one frameset I couldn't turn down at this point.

Love to have one built with 10 speed Chorus.
Old 01-07-17, 11:18 AM
dunrobin

Bikes: colnago titanio oval master, pinarello treviso es, centurion prestige, tomac ti 26er, lemond buenos aires, mbk 753, vitus 992 and zx1, rocky mountain hammer disc,bd century titanium, specialized venge expert

Liked 39 Times in 20 Posts
Your bike is just perfect. Can't believe a top end racing bike looks like it's never been ridden. I hope you really get to enjoy breaking it in. Even the nonmatching aero seatpost and front wheel belong.
Old 01-07-17, 11:27 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Liked 5,998 Times in 2,335 Posts
I think you got it right the first time. Obviously you have perfected time travel.
Old 01-07-17, 02:02 PM
styggno1
Steel is real

Originally Posted by qcpmsame
Incredible looking bike, one of the prettiest Merckx bicycles I have seen. Next time you travel back in time, please pick me up one too.

Bill
Yes! - Me too! - Size 53 or 54 please
Sorry guys... The next planned time warp travel is going to Ugo around 1973-4. Eddy said I could not do this trick with/to him again but he thought Ugo might be up for some fun.
Old 01-07-17, 02:09 PM
styggno1
Steel is real

I see the number hanger and small script on the top tube -- is that a former team member's name?

Thanks! I have no idea - I bought it off ebay as a bare frame some years ago. But a photo finish/number hanger could be ordered by anyone at the time - have a look at that second catalog scan on page one of this thread. The green/black/white with a dash of red MXL on the same page also has a hanger but I would say it means nothing unless there is a proven provenance coming with a bike/frame. Personally I like when a frame has one. It makes me faster... Not as fast as chrome head lugs but close.
Old 01-07-17, 02:17 PM
styggno1
Steel is real

Originally Posted by gomango
Cool bikes, cool thread.

A MXL Leader is one frameset I couldn't turn down at this point.

Love to have one built with 10 speed Chorus.
Mine is first generation Super Record 11. In 2010 SR 11 did not have the red accents that came later. Bought it slightly used and had to get a thingy that I do not know the English word for (or the Swedish) for the rear derailleur to get it to work with a 29 rear cog (which I need badly sometimes).
Old 01-07-17, 06:50 PM
gomango

Liked 259 Times in 144 Posts
Mine is first generation Super Record 11. In 2010 SR 11 did not have the red accents that came later. Bought it slightly used and had to get a thingy that I do not know the English word for (or the Swedish) for the rear derailleur to get it to work with a 29 rear cog (which I need badly sometimes).
My son has a 13-29 cassette on his Della Santa, but it has a Veloce- medium rear derailleur.

The rest is 10 speed Chorus.

Slick set up. Works like a charm.

SR11 is a fantastic groupset. Campy at its finest. imho

Again, love your classy bikes.
Old 01-08-17, 02:39 PM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Liked 545 Times in 270 Posts
Absolutely beautiful time machine! Now bring it in out of all that snow & swaddle it in a wool blanket until the warm Spring sun appears. Don
Old 01-08-17, 03:00 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Liked 755 Times in 413 Posts
Great post!
Old 01-08-17, 03:29 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Liked 348 Times in 176 Posts
Thanks! I have no idea - I bought it off ebay as a bare frame some years ago. But a photo finish/number hanger could be ordered by anyone at the time - have a look at that second catalog scan on page one of this thread. The green/black/white with a dash of red MXL on the same page also has a hanger but I would say it means nothing unless there is a proven provenance coming with a bike/frame. Personally I like when a frame has one. It makes me faster... Not as fast as chrome head lugs but close.
My (sometimes flawed) recollection is that some replicas had hangers as well.

Provenance isn't worth as much as you'd think in my experience, but it sure is cool regardless.
Old 01-10-17, 09:23 PM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman

Liked 316 Times in 175 Posts
Velominati ? The Prophet?s Prayer
Old 03-09-17, 02:55 PM
styggno1
Steel is real

Bought some parts to "correct" the Merckx Corsa Extra MAX.

As I now for - the first time, road bike wise, am taking the plunge into uncharted (for me) Shimano territory I might as well go all in. Got the right and period correct stem and seatpost for the Merckx.

Sellers pics:

Old 03-09-17, 06:52 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Liked 3,097 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs
Beautiful ride. Are the top and down tubes tapered?

The tubes are ovalized at the ends, run and get that empty papertowel tube!! Now squish one end vertically and the other horizontally, that's kind of how they look. The top tube is ovalized vertically at the head the goes to round in the middle and the ovalizing turns horizontal at the seat lug. Same with the DT ovalized vertically at the HT and horizontally, somewhat more pronounced at the BB shell. The seattube is of course round at the top but ovalized at the BB shell.

Combined with those massive chainstays it puts a lot of lateral stiffness in the frame to transfer more power into the drive train but it is still compliant vertically for a comfy ride. My apartment is all topsy-turvy right now so I can't get the weights but for all that massive look a MAX tubeset is not much heavier than SL and comes in just under SLX.

For a larger rider they really are great frames. OH there was also as seldom see, not the Bluegrass group, Mini MAX which IIRC was EL OS given a similar ovalizing treatment.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 03-09-17, 06:57 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

[QUOTE=styggno1;19295365]I have been working on my time machine for quite a while now and at last it seems like I have got it up and running. I set the timespan to 1991-92 and decided to have a go at it.

Landed in Belgium and went straight to Heerenweg 11, Meise and sneaked in to the show room.

Then everything blurred and I woke up in Sweden again. Three hours of daylight (dark daylight) and -20 Celsius. I felt really strange and confused as I came to. Still have no feeling in my left hand.

The nice thing though is that I got the bike with me thru time travel. The frame is perfect and most of the parts also. Strangely the front wheel and seatpost got mixed up in the time-transformation-equation and has to be corrected.

[QUOTE]

That is beautiful. I sometimes wish my Bianchis had lugs. It was always hard to decide if this fork or the one with the crown was better.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 03-09-17, 07:04 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Incase anyone wants to see the cleaner lugless construction
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P5220138.jpg (96.0 KB, 51 views)
Fork Crown.jpg (94.0 KB, 51 views)
MAX sticker (2).jpg (94.7 KB, 52 views)

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 03-09-17, 07:16 PM
Wileyone 

Liked 608 Times in 405 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
Your GAN is more blingy than mine...and I do like the chrome! I really want a Telekom at some point (my favorite of the Merckx schemes).

I'm going to try and get this built up after tax season.

Beautiful Frame set.
Old 03-09-17, 07:31 PM
Wileyone 

Liked 608 Times in 405 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Incase anyone wants to see the cleaner lugless construction
Not sure how this Lug less construction??

Attachment 555422

Last edited by Wileyone; 01-21-18 at 05:08 AM.
Old 03-09-17, 07:59 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

I don't think that is a lug as much as it is a reinforcing sleeve with the seat binder ears mounted on it. It doesn't have a socket for the TT.

And besides I needed an excuse to show off one of my MAX bikes

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 03-10-17, 09:32 AM
styggno1
Steel is real

No excuse is ever needed to show a frame in MAX tubing. Feel free whenever in my posts.

Personally I am torn between lugs and no lugs when it comes to MAX. Your Proto and my Caurus Proto have the smooth fillet brazed look (even if it is TIG welded and then made smooth with bondo or whatever) and I love it. What I do not like is TIG welded MAX with the welds showing - which some Protos and Caurus have.

Regardless of lug or no lug - the seat tube/top tube joint is the weak point (aesthetically) of them both. Bulky/ugly with the lug and undefined/blobby without.

When it comes to Merckx:s MX Leaders - I do believe his more traditional fork crown has the upper hand (again aesthetically) over the more generic MAX crown.

Being torn - I have worked around the "problem". I have got the lugged Merckx Corsa Extra MAX, a smooth Bianchi Caurus Proto and then some Merckx MXL: s. Problem solved... ;-)

Last edited by styggno1; 03-10-17 at 09:39 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.