Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Switch out winter tires?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.
View Poll Results: Do you switch out your winter tires?
Switch out tires
11.11%
Switch out wheel-tire combo
11.11%
Winter tires all winter long
33.33%
I switch out bikes!
44.44%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Switch out winter tires?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-17, 11:52 AM
zze86

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Switch out winter tires?

Curious - Do you change out your winter tires or wheel-tire combo to a "regular" tire/wheel-tire when the roads are clear or "safe" enough for you or do you just keep the winter tires on all winter long?
Old 01-08-17, 12:34 PM
CliffordK

Liked 4,676 Times in 3,458 Posts
It really depends.
For most of my life I've been a one-bike rider. Sometime I rode the same tires year-around. Others I swapped tires.

I now have a dedicated "winter bike" which I thought I'd try installing some Tannus solid tires on. The tires are a bit of a pain to install... so it is once on the rims... until they're worn out. The bike gets a little summer use, but most of the riding is in the winter.
Old 01-08-17, 12:40 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,363 Times in 868 Posts
Another Poll .. Long Winter for You?

You First. Where Do you live, and what kind of bike do You commute on?
Old 01-08-17, 12:47 PM
ItsJustMe
Seņior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I put "winter tires all winter long" but I do have another bike sitting there, and in the case of unusually warm weather long enough that I'm confident I won't hit any ice, I will take the other bike.
Old 01-08-17, 12:49 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Liked 223 Times in 135 Posts
Used to change change tyres, then wheel-tyre combo, for the last 5 or so years I got an extra "winter" bike, so I use that as a quickest, simplest option. Our winters are often changing - from snow, to no snow and sunny, so it's quickest to just use the appropriate bike for the day, already set up.
Old 01-08-17, 12:49 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Liked 3,239 Times in 1,745 Posts
I take my fenders off in the summer - without fenders I can use 37mm tires, with fenders only 32mm.
Old 01-08-17, 02:08 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Liked 3,753 Times in 1,716 Posts
I have the studs on one bike and another bike for clear days but when it gets nice I am always tempted to put summer tires on both bikes. Why I don't know.
Old 01-08-17, 02:29 PM
gregf83 

Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
I used studded tires for the first time last week but thankfully took them off yesterday. I keep them on a separate set of wheels.
Old 01-08-17, 04:12 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Liked 1,761 Times in 873 Posts
When I had one bike I had thought about buying a second set of wheels but didn't know how advantageous stuff snow tires would be. But then, the snow melts quickly here. However three and four years ago we had snowy winter's with months long icy patches. So I didn't ride. When I bought a new bike two years ago, I bought suomi nokian w106s for the old bike.

Knowing what I know now, I would but a second wheelset and mount studded snow tires on it. Then I could swap tires fairly quickly. I really wish I would have done that.

Mounting and recounting tires is too much of a chore, but swapping wheels makes it easier, and I would do it as weather demands.
Old 01-08-17, 04:20 PM
CrankyOne

Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
I usually put Schwalbe Marathon Winters on my primary bike (Workcycles Opafiets). If things are mostly clear (more and more each year as clearing of bikeways improves) then I'll pump them up for a smoother ride, otherwise lower pressure for better stud contact.

We have some Omafiets (Workcycles, Batavus, Gazelle I think) for guests to use so if things are really clear I'll ride one of those.

This year I switched it up and put the studs on only the front of one of the Omafiets for me to use when needed and ride my Opafiets when I know things are clear and will be on return as well.

My wife's bike always gets studs front and back. She'll occasionally grab one of the Omafiets if she's 110% sure that she'll not encounter any ice.
Old 01-08-17, 09:35 PM
skinny matt
more coffee please

Bikes: a couple schwinns

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This year I have two bikes so I can switch things up as weather dictates. Previous years were all studs all winter. Really pumped I don't have to do that now.
Old 01-08-17, 09:53 PM
zze86

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Another Poll .. Long Winter for You?

You First. Where Do you live, and what kind of bike do You commute on?
It is starting to wear on me but this is my first year commuting in the winter and thus first year with studded tires. I've just been riding the studded tires this whole time but got to wondering if maybe others may do things differently for some reason or another.
Old 01-08-17, 11:36 PM
Bizman

Bikes: 2014 Carbon Quest XS (Velomobile), 2014 Catrike Road (Trike), 2013 Easy Motion Max 700+ PCS (E-bike), 2011 Lynskey R340 (Road), 2011 Surly Moonlander (Fatty), 2010 Santa Cruise Tallboy (Full Suspension)

Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
I put studded tires on the first winter then changed tires back for summer. The next year I put them on and left them on, this is now my 4th winter. I use the studded tire bike as a winter bike when roads are real bad. I take the Velomobile (sometimes my trike) when the roads are clear. So I answered "I switch out bikes".
Old 01-09-17, 06:43 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Liked 410 Times in 236 Posts
I do option #2 and #4.

I've got a winter bike with studded tires, full fenders, and pannier that I use. When weather is good (dry and no chance to ice/snow) and I need to carry lots of things I'll swap out the wheels for a set of 25 mm tires. When weather is good and I don't need to carry stuff, I'll take another bike.
Old 01-09-17, 09:10 AM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Liked 88 Times in 35 Posts
i switch bikes.

i used to play the tire/wheel set swap game back in the early days of my bike commuting, but i got bored with that tedious game real fast.

having two bikes ready to go, one with studs/one without, allows me to quickly hop on whichever bike is appropriate for the conditions of any given winter morning and just go! with two little ones that have to get fed and dressed and dropped off at daycare every morning, i often don't have a literal second to spare as i race to get to work on time. tire/wheel set swaps would just be one more time penalty nuisance that i'm glad i no longer have to deal with.

Last edited by Steely Dan; 01-09-17 at 12:55 PM.
Old 01-09-17, 10:14 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,363 Times in 868 Posts
Originally Posted by zze86
It is starting to wear on me but this is my first year commuting in the winter and thus first year with studded tires. I've just been riding the studded tires this whole time but got to wondering if maybe others may do things differently for some reason or another.
thanks , the Why do you start a poll gives some background.

<< as indicated 7 bikes 1, is an old MTB, i built drum brake hub wheels , it gets stowed when above 0C.

This year , like last, cold + clear had roads dry, bare pavement & the tungsten steel alloy studs were less needed.

Location matters.. Inland [Pdx Etc.] they had Ice on the streets, but not here.

(so I get many years out of the Finnish made tires I got in 1990)

They keep working though I'm old and have since retired..

this year i got traction for my shoes, for the ice on road pass rest area parking lots .

VA is inland..

Last edited by fietsbob; 01-09-17 at 10:20 AM.
Old 01-09-17, 02:33 PM
Gresp15C

Liked 667 Times in 423 Posts
Madison WI. I have a dedicated winter bike with studs. The winter bike serves a number of purposes: 1) Studded tires. 2) Keeping road salt off my other bikes. 3) Cold weather (bar mitts). So the bike comes out when they start salting the roads, until early spring when the rains have washed everything away. Also, the 26" studded tires are a sunk cost until they wear out, and they only fit the winter bike.