Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Roadie to commuter

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Roadie to commuter

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-17, 08:32 PM
damnable

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Roadie to commuter

Hi folks,
I've been thinking about this for a while and can't seem to make a decision.

I have two bikes and need to sell one of them as I am moving and just don't have room. Realistically they both don't get enough use to justify keeping both. I just can't decide which one to sell so I would like your opinion please as which ever one I keep needs to be suitable for commuting.

Bike #1 - Road bike with drop bars
Mid-range, running full 105 triple
Aluminum frame with carbon forks. About 6 years old.

Bike #2 - Flat bar road bike
Lowish-end (but not Walmart low), chinese brand, running hodge-podge mix of Deore, Sora and whatever. MTB gearing with triple.
Aluminum frame with carbon forks. About 4 years old.
Has V-brakes and currently has 700x28 tires

I'd ridden both bikes with a removable pannier setup without issues, so they can both do the job of moving stuff. I suppose bike #2 is more suitable because it's a bit more bomb proof and has the ability to take a larger tyre and a more upright riding position, but I am still quite attached to bike #1 as overall it's a superior bike, even if only judging by the price I paid for it. But if it was easier to convert the roadie to something more suitable for commute it might change my mind. But on the other hand I don't have time to do proper road rides at the moment.

I would love to keep both but unfortunately circumstances dictate I can't and I didn't think it would be this hard to choose.

My solace is that I can buy another bike if circumstances change.

Last edited by damnable; 01-07-17 at 10:19 PM.
Old 01-07-17, 08:40 PM
martianone

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
IMHO- Commute with #1 & be happy. Replace components as they wear out.
Or trade both in for a single new ride (eg a cross bike with drop bars, fatter tires and bombproof wheelset
Old 01-07-17, 08:49 PM
zze86

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Is there one that you enjor riding more than the other irregardless of percieved usefullness and durability? If so, that one.
Old 01-07-17, 09:16 PM
Beneficial Ear
Car Free

Bikes: caad8, Trek 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like you want a drop bar bike that can fit a 28c+ tire.
The flat bar bike can become that.
Or you could get a new bike that covers all the bases if you feel the flatbar bike isn't worth building up.
If you want to do long fast group rides etc I'd keep the roadie and swap the wheelset between commuting/racing.
Old 01-07-17, 09:29 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
We don't necessarily need "bomb-proof" and larger tires. If you like the drop bar road bike better, keep it.
Old 01-07-17, 09:49 PM
Snuts
Mid Tour!

Bikes: Marin Muirwoods Racked out for this years Tour, Norco Indi 4 racked out from last years tour, Giant Defi II for week-end ripps.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Keep the road bike.
You can easily replace it at less cost once your settled in to your new location.

Do they both have a triple crankset?

-Snuts-
Old 01-07-17, 10:04 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts
Can your road bike take fenders? I'd not want to be stuck with only a non-fender bike... but maybe that's not an issue for you. I like the sell both and get a does it all bike, idea.
Old 01-07-17, 10:36 PM
damnable

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Snuts
Keep the road bike.
You can easily replace it at less cost once your settled in to your new location.

Do they both have a triple crankset?

-Snuts-
Yeah they both have triple cranksets, although the flat bar has overall lower gearing. The roadie will only take clip on fenders, but I'm not sure I'd use them anyway.

I was actually more leaning towards selling off the road bike, really because it's a bit less versatile but responses so far have made me reconsider.
Old 01-07-17, 10:43 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Liked 2,964 Times in 1,643 Posts
I'd start by thinking about whether either bike were so unsuitable for the commute as to rule it out. If either bike is OK for the commute, than forget about the commute for the moment, and consider which bike you'd want to ride for pleasure. Keep that one.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 01-07-17, 11:02 PM
Snuts
Mid Tour!

Bikes: Marin Muirwoods Racked out for this years Tour, Norco Indi 4 racked out from last years tour, Giant Defi II for week-end ripps.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I was going to edit my earlier post to start:

"You asked my opinion so here it is"

The choice is always up to you.

Along the lines of what FBinNY said. I have a road bike I really enjoy riding. But to replace it, would be an upgrade, and expensive compared to replacing my commuter.

-Snuts-
Old 01-07-17, 11:05 PM
CliffordK

Liked 4,572 Times in 3,396 Posts
Another option is to sell 'em both.... and buy what you really want.

I'm a skinny tire, drop bar roadie commuter. My former racing bike has carried a rack for decades, although often I'll carry a pack rather than panniers. And, it tows a trailer just fine... just remind me to slow down for the corners and curb cuts on corners. I've converted most of my bikes to SPD pedals for clip in walkable shoes, but I'm comfortable with toeclips too.

If a person can ride a road bike 100+ miles, climbing miserable mountains just because they're there, all using 2x gearing, then I'm not convinced that a commuter needs a triple crankset and a cassette large enough to be seen from space.

But, find a bike that is comfortable to YOU... and suits YOUR commuting needs. Riding 1/4 mile down the road to the corner store may be very different than commuting 10 or 20 miles across town. And, also different from going car-free.

One last thing to consider is security and THEFT. How, where, and in what city you store your bike while commuting may dictate your bike choice. Dry racks?
Old 01-08-17, 12:38 AM
sexy cyclist

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What about the road bike makes it unsuitable for commutes? When I commuted I used a Ridley Fenix or Trek Emonda with Revelate frame bags to haul clothes etc. Worlds more comfortable than a lower end flat bar bike, and more fun to ride. Plus the speed mattered quite a bit on my 50 mile round trip.
Old 01-08-17, 08:19 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Liked 1,702 Times in 840 Posts
I had a MTB based commuter, then I acquired a roadbike. Loved 'em both, each had qualities the other didn't. When I bought a new bike for commuting I bought a mix of the two. It's a semi-touring or distance bike, possibly a gravel bike or a drop-bar hybrid. Sturdier than the roadie with a longer wheelbase and more relaxed geometry for more self-steering and the ability to take wider tires. Not as sturdy as the MTB based commuter, but lighter with a more comfortable position. Also not as twitchy as the roadbike either. It had dropouts for a rack and fenders, although you can always fit some sort of rack and fenders without dropouts. It took a couole of weeks of test rides and some back and forth to two different bike stores for back to back rides. I am very happy wth my choice.

But if I had to choose just one of the original two bikes for commuting, I'd have to pick the MTB for it's overall utility, although the road bike was slightly more fun to ride.
Old 01-08-17, 09:36 AM
PaulH

Liked 97 Times in 66 Posts
Try commuting on each bike and decide which is best and what modification are required to make the best one better.
Old 01-08-17, 10:12 AM
Allez3

Bikes: Sirrus, Midnight Special (almost there)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by damnable
Hi folks,
I've been thinking about this for a while and can't seem to make a decision.

I have two bikes and need to sell one of them as I am moving and just don't have room. Realistically they both don't get enough use to justify keeping both. I just can't decide which one to sell so I would like your opinion please as which ever one I keep needs to be suitable for commuting.

Bike #1 - Road bike with drop bars
Mid-range, running full 105 triple
Aluminum frame with carbon forks. About 6 years old.

Bike #2 - Flat bar road bike
Lowish-end (but not Walmart low), chinese brand, running hodge-podge mix of Deore, Sora and whatever. MTB gearing with triple.
Aluminum frame with carbon forks. About 4 years old.
Has V-brakes and currently has 700x28 tires

I'd ridden both bikes with a removable pannier setup without issues, so they can both do the job of moving stuff. I suppose bike #2 is more suitable because it's a bit more bomb proof and has the ability to take a larger tyre and a more upright riding position, but I am still quite attached to bike #1 as overall it's a superior bike, even if only judging by the price I paid for it. But if it was easier to convert the roadie to something more suitable for commute it might change my mind. But on the other hand I don't have time to do proper road rides at the moment.

I would love to keep both but unfortunately circumstances dictate I can't and I didn't think it would be this hard to choose.

My solace is that I can buy another bike if circumstances change.
See if you can fit 26mm or 28mm tires to take more abuse on #1 then be happy. If not, then maybe look at a conversion on #2. I converted to a double with drop bars on my Sirrus Sport that I bought when I got back into cycling after many years of absence, then bought an Allez because I needed something that felt lighter for weekend rides. I would say I regretted the hybrid option (and two bikes for that matter, but I didn't know if I was going to get back on the bike like I have), flatbars enabled me to get back on the bike with back problems that have since resolved due to riding but it's a different style of riding from a hand position and body position standpoint. Should have bought a cyclocross bike and sucked it up, which is basically what the hybrid has become. It's my go to bike now for most riding with larger rims and tires that can take road abuse. It's like the first beater I had when I was about 14, probably one size too big, but comfortable as heck once I got it tuned in. If I want to add a rack I can. I love the Allez for bouncing around on weekends, but I'm pushing 50 now and don't really think much about how fast I'm going anymore so I find myself riding it less and less. I see something like a Crux or Diverge in the future, maybe even go back to steel with a Surley frame or something but it will be a few more years.
Old 01-08-17, 10:11 PM
skinny matt
more coffee please

Bikes: a couple schwinns

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Will you need to fit studded tires?
Old 01-09-17, 01:16 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Liked 493 Times in 339 Posts
Think about what you really need for your cycling purposes and choose the bike better suited for it. For example, for rides >10 miles, I prefer drop bars over flat bars, so for my 18 mile commute I'd prefer a road bike. But when I used to live in the city, I ran a lot of errands within a 5 mile radius. In that context, I really would have enjoyed a flat bar townie more than a road bike with drop bars.
Old 01-09-17, 01:41 AM
San Pedro

Bikes: 2011 Giant Seek R3, 2015 Specialized Allez Elite, 2017 Giant TCR Advanced 2

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Keep the road bike. Nice 25mm tires might work for you. I doubt you're riding through a mine field, so you probably don't need a bomb proof bike. Unless you got something really crappy, your road bike should handle commuting just fine.
Old 01-09-17, 08:48 AM
snow_echo_NY

Bikes: Scott Genius, Surly Crosscheck, Yuba Mundo cargo, Specialized Dolce Triple (stolen 5/8/15)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i agree to sell both and get the bike you really want.

i commute primarily but i also enjoy a long ride occasionally. so i have a light touring bike that is snappy but also can fit larger tires, fenders and a rack to haul stuff if i want to go bike camping. i can get a more upright position on my bike but also still enjoy the drop bars.

i had a road bike before, it was stolen. then i got the bike i wanted.
Old 01-09-17, 08:57 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
You can commute on any bike. I've been bike commuting for 10 years, averaging more than 4,000 miles a year, and during that time I've commuted on several racing bikes, two touring bikes, two cyclocross bikes, several sport touring bikes. I tried one commute on my mountain bike, and liked that the least, but my commute distance is fairly long with good roads. Likewise, you do not need fat tires or a rear rack to bike commute. I have used a Carradice seatbag to carry gear on my bikes that don't have racks, and they carry all the gear that I need. Likewise, you can use clip-on fenders for bikes without mounts. I've commuted on tires ranging from 23-35 mm, and actually prefer 25-28s on my route.
Old 01-09-17, 08:56 PM
Londonsworld 

Bikes: 71 American Eagle Olympiad, 03 Trek 5200 P1, 2013 Trek 6 series Domane, 83 Apollo branded Kuwahara, 78 Trek TX 300, 73 Nishiki Intl. 86 Nishiki Prestige, Nishiki Olympic, 72 and 73 Nishiki Safari', two-speed Electra BMX cruiser 1, 87 Nishiki Linear

Liked 65 Times in 38 Posts
Old Trek Project One

I recently started commuting to work on my old skool Trek 5200. Picked up some Chris Hubs on the cheap. Built up some wheels using Velocity hoops I never got around to using. Switched out my old 10 speed stuff and went Alfine 11 speed. I bought a Thule pack n pedal rear rack, added a Rogue Panda frame bag and modified Bontrager handlebars that a friend broke. Shimano front hub powers my front and rear Supernova lights. Added dual Bontrager Flare RT's at the back and another front Flare RT light. It was a bit awkward at first, but after a few rides I am so happy my old beast is still on the road.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2410.jpg (95.9 KB, 98 views)
IMG_2420.jpg (100.2 KB, 97 views)
IMG_2536.jpg (95.2 KB, 96 views)
IMG_2919.jpg (90.7 KB, 96 views)
IMG_3018.jpg (91.5 KB, 96 views)

Last edited by Londonsworld; 01-09-17 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Add pictures
Old 01-09-17, 10:30 PM
Beneficial Ear
Car Free

Bikes: caad8, Trek 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That right there is a bike that screams...
"cyclist"
Its also good inspiration for building a unique commuter that fits one's needs perfectly.
Old 01-09-17, 11:12 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Liked 2,116 Times in 1,379 Posts
They each sound fine unless fenders are important.

I've had no good experiences with converting bikes to other types of bikes. The differences in frame length and ride height don't seem to work out for me. But I dig that 5200.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 01-11-17, 10:18 AM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
If it were me, I'd keep the road bike. I prefer drop bars for every application other than mountainbiking. You can always put interrupter levers on the road bike if you want to ride on the tops more and are uncomfortable doing a quick hand change for the hoods to brake.
Old 01-11-17, 11:38 AM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I'd vote to also keep the road bike. But I come from riding two of them for my commute. Unless your area has steep hills, I'd also replace the triple with a double. The triple would be overkill for my area (NJ to NYC). Only "real" hill for me is from Leonia to Ft Lee and I do it comfortably on a 39x25. Maybe 39x27 if you want to spin a little more. But the bottom line is that you can commute with just about anything. Its a shame that you can't keep two bikes. I think two is handy in case of mechanical issues with one of them. If you're going to commute a lot (year round) then keep the usual consumables at hand. In addition to tires and tubes and chain, I would stock a bottom bracket and cassette. Riding in the rain or on wet roads can chew through drivetrain parts faster.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.