Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Mezzo/Ori folding bike upgrades?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Mezzo/Ori folding bike upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-16, 12:41 PM
Winfried

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 100 Posts
Out of curiosity, is it easy/possible to add an IGH (Alfine 8 or 11) to a M10 as a replacement for the ten-speed Shimano CS-H500 cassette?

M10 - ORi Life Style Folding Bikes
Old 09-16-16, 01:37 PM
cpg

Bikes: Mezzo I4, Trek 1200, Rudge (Montague) BiFrame, Bickerton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Winfried
Out of curiosity, is it easy/possible to add an IGH (Alfine 8 or 11) to a M10 as a replacement for the ten-speed Shimano CS-H500 cassette?

M10 - ORi Life Style Folding Bikes
While I am not too familiar with the Alfine hubs, I imagine it will work. Mezzo rear dropout spacing is 135mm so that should be compatible. The shifter will have to be replaced for an Alfine compatible one. A chain tensioner will be be required but the exiting rear mech should fulfil that task with the use of longer end stop screws so it can be permanently set in one position for the correct chain alignment. A smaller front chain ring might be needed to get more usable gear rations.
Old 09-16-16, 01:46 PM
Winfried

Good to know. Thanks.
Old 09-16-16, 03:58 PM
bhkyte

Bikes: 2X dualdrive Mezzo folder,plus others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I am pretty sure its been done.
Check back over this thread.
There was another thread about converting I4 to dual drive but owner went for either nexus or afline 8.
Old 09-17-16, 06:11 AM
Diode100

Bikes: 2011 Jetstream P11 Alfine; 3sp Presto-Lite; Occasional Access to 6sp Brompton

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cpg
While I am not too familiar with the Alfine hubs, I imagine it will work. Mezzo rear dropout spacing is 135mm so that should be compatible. The shifter will have to be replaced for an Alfine compatible one. A chain tensioner will be be required but the exiting rear mech should fulfil that task with the use of longer end stop screws so it can be permanently set in one position for the correct chain alignment. A smaller front chain ring might be needed to get more usable gear rations.
Using the existing rear mech as the chain tensioner kind of ruins one of the pluses of having an internal hub gear, that being a nice clean simple chain line. You might want to look at what's available on the after market to find something less cumbersome, or perhaps a Brompton or Birdy tensioner would do the job.
Old 09-17-16, 10:51 AM
Winfried

I'll ask Ori and see what they think about it.
--
Edit: An easier (?) alternative could be to build one's own SRAM Dual Drive by keeping the ten-speed cassette while replacing the wheel with one with a three-speed IGH:

35-349 wheels, 52T chainring, ten-speed 12-28T cassette

Original bike : = 2.4 - 5.6m dev
Nexus 3 IGH : 1.7 - 7.6m
Brompton BWR IGH : 1.5 - 8.7m

Besides that, does someone know if a front-rack is available for the fork, so as to carry one or two small clip-on pannier bags like on a touring bike?

Last edited by Winfried; 09-19-16 at 07:02 AM.
Old 09-22-16, 06:49 AM
cavan97

Bikes: Mezzo Hi4 (nexus-8 IGH), Mezzo D10, Dahon Mu XL, Dahon curve, Carrera transport 20" folder, Raleigh Eurotrek, Carrera Vanquish 07

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hi folks I have converted my hi4 to a nexus 8 IGH, with a 56/16 combination. Its a big improvement on the 4 speed. Ill have pics up next week, im off work then.
I then bought a second hand D10 on ebay for 400 euro including p&p. Its an absolute flier. Beating all my times on strava with my other folders (best previous was on Dahon MUXL 20 inch 8speed IGH). I have to say its so so quick.
Then (I have to stay off ebay I tells you) I bought a repairable Mezzo hi4 for 145 euro including p&p. Im waiting for it to arrive, but I can fix it up with all the spares I got off the original i4 because it was immaculate. still have rim, spokes, hub, shifter etc. however I was wondering how hard would it be to convert the i4 to a D10. I know ill need a wheel with a freehub (might get that from ATB sales. The 10 speed cog on the D10 spec (11-28T), the short cage 105 derailleur or similar and the 10 speed shifter can all be bought either second hand or on wiggle/chain reaction new. ill need a wider bottom bracket and front chain ring 53-56T (preferably). Big question though. Will it fold okay???
Old 09-22-16, 01:50 PM
bhkyte

Bikes: 2X dualdrive Mezzo folder,plus others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cavan97
hi folks I have converted my hi4 to a nexus 8 IGH, with a 56/16 combination. Its a big improvement on the 4 speed. Ill have pics up next week, im off work then.
I then bought a second hand D10 on ebay for 400 euro including p&p. Its an absolute flier. Beating all my times on strava with my other folders (best previous was on Dahon MUXL 20 inch 8speed IGH). I have to say its so so quick.
Then (I have to stay off ebay I tells you) I bought a repairable Mezzo hi4 for 145 euro including p&p. Im waiting for it to arrive, but I can fix it up with all the spares I got off the original i4 because it was immaculate. still have rim, spokes, hub, shifter etc. however I was wondering how hard would it be to convert the i4 to a D10. I know ill need a wheel with a freehub (might get that from ATB sales. The 10 speed cog on the D10 spec (11-28T), the short cage 105 derailleur or similar and the 10 speed shifter can all be bought either second hand or on wiggle/chain reaction new. ill need a wider bottom bracket and front chain ring 53-56T (preferably). Big question though. Will it fold okay???
Easier to go IHG.
Cqg did a I4 to dual drive but says not as easy as had to get drailler hanger to fit. The standard mezzo chainguard goes up to a 54 for a 56 you need a larger guard. Mezzo d10 one or bike friday. Else ebay one.
Dont see why it would fold ok. Same set up as d10 and d9.
Old 09-23-16, 04:37 AM
cpg

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cavan97
See my posts about converting an I4 to a dual drive, most of that should apply to your situation, link to thread: https://www.bikeforums.net/folding-bi...sion-help.html
I didn't need to change the bottom bracket and it still folds in the same manor as before the conversion.
Any 9 or 10 speed compatible hub with 135mm dropout can be used, 349 rims are available should you not be able to obtain a complete wheel. Only 32 hole or fewer spoke hub and rim, I used 36 and it made access to valve very restrictive.
Old 09-23-16, 04:47 AM
cpg

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Besides that, does someone know if a front-rack is available for the fork, so as to carry one or two small clip-on pannier bags like on a touring bike?
There used to be a front pannier kit on the Ori website under "Accessories" but it isn't there any more, it can be seen in the photo:

There was also a small rack that fitted the handle bar stem but the web site now calls it the 3 way bag and can be seen in the above photo and here: 3 way bag - ORi Life Style Folding Bikes I am sure the rack was available on its own at one time.
Old 09-23-16, 06:04 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1144 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 618 Posts
That picture is starting to make me change my mind about the mezzo,...that looks very nice.
Old 09-23-16, 06:09 AM
cpg

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Its essentially the same bike, Ori manufacture the Mezzo.
Old 09-26-16, 01:55 PM
Winfried

Incidently, does Mezzo actually have a web site? I emailed Ori about a couple of things, but got no reply; Same from their Spanish importer.

Domain Default page → MIA.
Old 09-26-16, 02:50 PM
cpg

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Incidently, does Mezzo actually have a web site? I emailed Ori about a couple of things, but got no reply; Same from their Spanish importer.

Domain Default page → MIA.
ATB sales are the people to talk to in the UK. https://www.atb-sales.co.uk/mezzo.html
Old 09-26-16, 02:54 PM
Winfried

Thanks. They don't seem to be doing so well in the UK to bother with a running web site.
Old 01-16-17, 08:26 PM
Jite

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just wanted to ask if anyone had trouble fitting normal 16 x 1.75-2.125 innertubes to their mezzo wheels. I bought some kojaks and wanted to fit them to the wheels with 'normal' innertubes but struggled to fit them to the mezzo. Others in various bike shops in halfords struggled to fit them until the main mechanic at halfords I think fitted 16 x 1.25 innertubes and refused to fit the kojaks (he said they were unsuitable and dangerous for a mezzo) and fitted marathons instead.

What innertubes do you seasoned mezzo riders (particularly with kojak tyres) fit to your mezzo?
Old 01-17-17, 03:29 AM
cpg

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Kojacks are a much narrower tyre and will need the narrower innertubes, when I switched to Kojacs I changed the tubes as well. Kojacs are fine on a Mezzo, no problems at all, I have even done mild off road with them. In my experience, Halfords can rarely be trusted when giving advice.
Old 01-17-17, 05:22 AM
Jite

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for the quick reply. I have been rather meagre with regards upgrades to my mezzo (an old d9 bought 2nd hand off ebay). I have added the 56 tooth front chain ring and the rollerskate wheels. When I bought it it had been converted to a single speed but I converted it back so I could use the 9 gears. It is an excellent bike. This thread has been marvellous. Whoever gave the tip about angling the bars to give longer reach for bigger riders has made an already comfortable and excellent bike even more so. I almost forgot about the telescopic seat post that was suggested here that I have added and works superbly as well.

Thanks all - what a great bike the mezzo is/was. Hope that ORI will sell soon in the UK. Has anyone successfully been i touch with them? Thought about getting the suitcase wheels upgrade from them before I got the rollerskate wheels fitted. They never got back to me though...
Old 01-17-17, 05:58 AM
cpg

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good to hear you are happy with the bike.
I never got a reply from Ori either when I emailed them. Its a shame that Mezzo didn't supply the same models and accessories as Ori.
Old 01-22-17, 01:25 PM
jefmcg

Bikes: Mezzo D9, 2012 Giant Avail 2

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kojaks are fine on a Mezzo. I can't understand what he even means by "dangerous". I've actually had a catastrophic failures a kojak, and it did not feel dangerous. I rode over a discarded box cutter/stanley knife blade, that cut the tyre open like a piece of ripe fruit.

You can get Oris in the UK https://www.velorution.com/index.php...anufacturer=63
Old 01-23-17, 03:51 AM
cavan97

Bikes: Mezzo Hi4 (nexus-8 IGH), Mezzo D10, Dahon Mu XL, Dahon curve, Carrera transport 20" folder, Raleigh Eurotrek, Carrera Vanquish 07

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can also order Ori Bikes and accessories from this site in Spain.
Pivot Pro
Old 01-23-17, 03:59 AM
cavan97

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bit of advice please. Have an I4 converted to 8 speed nexus hub (will have pics up but currently converting a broken down i4 to a 10 speed and will take all pics then) but reading about the old catch on the front fork that seems to be on the ori bikes. 2 things
is it safer to change front forks to the one without the catch (like the D10) or is the old ones just as safe?
Also im buying a bit of stuff from ATB for the fixer upper so should i change that seatpost clamp to the thicker one like the D10?
Thanks
Old 01-23-17, 04:34 AM
cpg

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Its good to see that Pivot Pro are also selling the accessories. Thanks for the link.
I believe that my Mezzo has the older style front fork. It hasn't caused me any issues but it is important to remember to check that it has latched and and the QR is closed. I dont know if the newer version is safer or not.
My seat clamp failed, it was the type that pressed a clamp against the seat stem, not a very good design. If that is the type you have then I recommend getting the newer design.
Old 01-23-17, 05:09 AM
cavan97

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks cpg. yes its the one that clicks into the latch and then you close the skewer.
Thanks again think ill price the D10 seatpost clamp
Old 01-25-17, 07:04 AM
jefmcg

Bikes: Mezzo D9, 2012 Giant Avail 2

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Older style forks catastrophically fail mid ride if they are worn

https://www.bikeforums.net/folding-bi...-mezzo-d9.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.