Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

So are the days of our lives...

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

So are the days of our lives...

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-17, 01:43 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Liked 3,902 Times in 2,036 Posts
The Kylions?

For sure. I've used them before.
Old 01-23-17, 02:06 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by hubcyclist
my bday is this weekend and my wife let the cat out of the bag that she was planning on my getting a smart trainer. so now I feel a sense of guilt over potentially spending what could be a lot. if i go nuts and get a cycleops hammer (i'm leaning toward either the hammer or magnus because of the cycleops warranty), it would be essentially admitting i'm an indoor guy (I haven't ridden outside since September). Plus my frugal side is looking at the elite qubo digital, it's on sale at nashbar and I've got a birthday coupon to get it for basically 30% off, $311 for a resistance controlled smart trainer seems like a great price, and nashbar as a solid return policy. So basically, I dunno lol
Be sure the model you are getting is ANT+. The plain qubo digital uses ANT (not ANT+) so zwift can't control it. The qubo digital smart b+ is ANT+
Old 01-23-17, 02:09 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Liked 638 Times in 340 Posts
Originally Posted by Enthalpic
Be sure the model you are getting is ANT+. The plain qubo digital uses ANT (not ANT+) so zwift can't control it. The qubo digital smart b+ is ANT+
Yeah, this is the one

Elite Qubo Digital Smart B+ Trainer
Old 01-23-17, 02:36 PM
topflightpro

Liked 693 Times in 439 Posts
We had a Performance Travel Trac trainer that used a similar design for engaging the wheel on the trainer resistance unit. We hated it. It was awful, and I will never go back to any trainer that uses that design. I think the trainers in which the resistance wheel clamps down on the wheel are much better.
Old 01-23-17, 02:56 PM
hubcyclist

Yeah, that was one concern I had about the design, and while I have a power meter (my wife doesn't but she's not far enough along that she even cares about power), what I've read is that this design can lead to some funky readings and I'd imagine weirdness when getting out of the saddle and not having the weight on the roller
Old 01-23-17, 03:26 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
I haven't had any issues.
Old 01-24-17, 01:10 AM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Finally swapped my cassette to my new Flo wheels, cleaned it, put on new brake pads cuz my old ones were about half a mm thick, and adjusted rear derailleur better than the damn mechanic without even touching the limits or the b screw. Hope it holds up while riding. And excited to ride with new wheels and brake pads!
Old 01-24-17, 07:45 AM
topflightpro

I think I'm coming down with something.
Old 01-24-17, 08:00 AM
mattm
**** that

Liked 105 Times in 30 Posts
The saga continues.

Had to call 911 yesterday for dad's super-low blood sugar, but all is generally well now.

Will need to stay longer than expected.. already scheming on getting a bike down here! The strava segments look ripe for sniping where I'm at in 'Bama - there are about ten road riders total here from what I can tell.

my race videos
Old 01-24-17, 08:35 AM
topflightpro

Originally Posted by mattm
The saga continues.

Had to call 911 yesterday for dad's super-low blood sugar, but all is generally well now.

Will need to stay longer than expected.. already scheming on getting a bike down here! The strava segments look ripe for sniping where I'm at in 'Bama - there are about ten road riders total here from what I can tell.
Where are you, specifically?
Old 01-24-17, 08:38 AM
topflightpro

We are constructing a new building on campus. It's incredibly fascinating to watch. I just spent 5 min. staring out the window as the crane lowered a steel girder into place.

And I know I'm not the only one amazed by this. It's not uncommon to see several guys just standing there, looking out the window drinking their coffee, watching.
Old 01-24-17, 08:39 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Liked 185 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
We are constructing a new building on campus. It's incredibly fascinating to watch. I just spent 5 min. staring out the window as the crane lowered a steel girder into place.

And I know I'm not the only one amazed by this. It's not uncommon to see several guys just standing there, looking out the window drinking their coffee, watching.
+1

It's like a large version of Legos. I'm fascinated watching Junior assemble things. I need to tape him one day, like in a semi controlled environment. He's textbook when he's doing that stuff.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 01-24-17, 08:52 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Liked 185 Times in 105 Posts
So the 2017 racing thread made me realize that I'm not really thinking about racing. I mean, I expect to race, yes, but I'm not thinking of any race in particular. No focal points, no A races.

Now that things are a little better financially the Missus basically gave me a green light to get bike things done. Technically I can do whatever but I can't bring myself to spend anything over about $80 without her agreeing it's okay, and I can't bring myself to spend money if I think it's not a good value or good use of money.

I've spent close to zero dollars on my bike and racing in two years. All my entries in 2016 were paid by a $280? commission check from 2015, and I spent about $60 of that for misc food/etc while out on family outings. I got a gift cert from a race promoter I helped in 2016 so I spent that (+$11) to get two training tires that are still in boxes. I owe $40 to [MENTION=99188]tetonrider[/MENTION] who refuses to give me a way to pay him (he probably missed my messages?). Other than race entries (and a few thousand $ lost at the Series) in 2015 those are literally all my bike expenses in two years.

But now I'm not really sure if I want to spend money on bikes. I need to fix my two SRMs. Need to get new rims for the Stinger 6s (rear is cracked so I want to put a 90mm rim on, front has a chip but I'd rather have a really tall wheel like a 75 or 90mm or a really short one like a 45mm). I'm going to order a second custom stem for $250 for my black bike (already have bars and the new style shifters from 2014?). Once I do that stuff I'll be set for a while - 2.5 sets of race wheels, 2 sets of training wheels (will sell to get one carbon clincher set if possible), I still have 15? new tubular tires, maybe 5 chains, 2 new and 5-8 almost new cassettes, 20 or 30 tubes, etc. I even have two CycleOps Fluid2 trainers to warranty so I'll have two more trainers.

Weird not focusing all my energy on bike stuff.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 01-24-17, 09:28 AM
hubcyclist

Not to get too P&R, but that stuff directly affects my life, and while I'm not personally experiencing any big changes at the moment, I'm already seeing little things that are worrisome, with myself and others in my field serving as convenient punching bags.
Old 01-24-17, 09:53 AM
topflightpro

Originally Posted by hubcyclist
Not to get too P&R, but that stuff directly affects my life, and while I'm not personally experiencing any big changes at the moment, I'm already seeing little things that are worrisome, with myself and others in my field serving as convenient punching bags.
Not sure what stuff you are talking about.
Old 01-24-17, 09:57 AM
hubcyclist

Not sure what stuff you are talking about.
oh, executive orders and what not
Old 01-24-17, 10:01 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
As a freelancer, I feel you. I will leave it at that.
Old 01-24-17, 10:45 AM
hack

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I think I'm coming down with something.
I'm finally coming out of some illness that has lingered for the past 2 weeks. I remember the first couple days of it starting to set in and trying to fight it off mentally. Failed and sadly, my training has sucked as a result. Racing on Saturday??? Not ready for that.
Old 01-24-17, 10:54 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Liked 3,111 Times in 1,418 Posts
I'm right across the street from the new arena. On days when I really needed to be productive, I had to pull the shades it was so distracting.
Old 01-24-17, 01:00 PM
Hida Yanra
VeloSIRraptor

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
all youse talking about watching construction stuff happen - yeah. For sure.
I've been working in architecture for 10 years, in school for 5 before that, worked plumber/construction before that - a few years ago I got my MA in Construction Management (so, the contractor side of things) - and you know what? I see this stuff every day, and I still get really excited about it. The nerdy bits- the worrying about how to design a thing so that we CAN get a crane in there, how to design something so we can stage multiple trades more tightly to save a few 10K, .... it's a really interesting career.

Would I do this again, were I making those career choices again? .... probably not.
but hey, there are days it is a ton of fun.
Old 01-24-17, 03:21 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Working on getting an apartment, since my contract is now through the end of the year and living with in-laws and driving almost 3.5 hours round trip every day is exhausting. Bonus, it's right next to the velodrome (about half mile maybe).

Holy cow their lease sucks though. I get that people usually don't read these and just sign them, but it's complete garbage. It contradicts itself, it asks me to say that I've viewed the apartment and I accept it as-is (I haven't seen it, they won't let me until move-in), they ask me to agree to open ended vague charges at move out with no numbers listed.

I got them to strike some of the worst sections, but I'm still arguing about another section. I hate being a PITA, but I'm not going to sign away my rights just because your lease is terrible.
Old 01-25-17, 02:30 PM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
Race calendar is starting to populate..has me excited for the upcoming season
Old 01-26-17, 04:17 PM
big john

Liked 10,207 Times in 4,950 Posts
Originally Posted by hack
I'm finally coming out of some illness that has lingered for the past 2 weeks. I remember the first couple days of it starting to set in and trying to fight it off mentally. Failed and sadly, my training has sucked as a result. Racing on Saturday??? Not ready for that.

Been sick as hell for 2 weeks. Only 1 hour on the bike in that time. A weird thing happens when I don't ride, my knees start hurting and it makes work more difficult, especially if I have to get up from the floor.
Old 01-27-17, 06:30 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Liked 3,902 Times in 2,036 Posts
My knee and back problems can flare up during low-riding periods as well. Super weird.
Old 01-28-17, 09:23 AM
furiousferret

Liked 471 Times in 251 Posts
Phil Gaimon was at our shop the other night speaking to the local teams; it was pretty interesting stuff and he was pretty candid about his retirement, etc. Pretty interesting stuff, a bit inspirational and depressing at the same time. Even though he's a pro and we're just piss ant category racers, a lot of his experiences mirror our gripes on this board.

Saw a lot of cyclists I haven't seen since I've been out and it was great meeting up with them. Especially the guy that quit racing motorcycles and just rides a bike because he didn't want to puncture a lung again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.