Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Pinarello Montello 1985 - Campagnolo SR or C Record?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Pinarello Montello 1985 - Campagnolo SR or C Record?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-17, 05:00 PM
repechage

Liked 2,848 Times in 2,010 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
I don't recognize it, sorry. I can however say that it isn't a SR or NR campy post.
Record to Chorus titanium shaft it looks like.
Much later than the rest but I would keep it in place.
Old 01-08-17, 05:03 PM
vnz00

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rr99
Hi,

I have uploaded up close photos of the seat post. Considering its structure (one seat bolt) do you think that this is a SR? Doesn't look like a SR to me :/ No engraved 'Campagnolo'... Can this be an early Campagnolo seat post? Your assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Hi RR99, this is a later titanium seatpost, dating from the early 2000's/ 10speed era. It started off as the top of the line Record seatpost and then became the Chorus seatpost with minor differences to the clamp when the record version went to carbon. The only branding would be on the back of the seatpost ID'ing it as Record or Chorus. These were often rubbed off though. I hope this helps.
Old 01-09-17, 09:21 AM
styggno1
Steel is real

Bikes: 40 - accumulated over 40 years

Liked 1,116 Times in 310 Posts
All threads benefit from first execution delta brakes. This thread too.

From https://bulgier.net

Old 01-11-17, 04:06 AM
rr99

Liked 12 Times in 5 Posts
Hi WolfRyder,

Sorry for the delayed response. Please review the photos. I'm dismantling it at the moment therefore its pretty dirty.

Originally Posted by WolfRyder
This is the distinctive to the Montecello "money shot" I was talking about.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Photo 1-10-17, 20 28 13.jpg (95.9 KB, 172 views)
Photo 1-10-17, 20 28 24.jpg (93.1 KB, 170 views)
Old 01-11-17, 07:11 PM
WolfRyder

Bikes: Not that many, just getting started.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice man looks like a legit Montello to me with that distinctive feature. Refer to experts here though for more info on the bike. What other questions did you have? I know these get a little pricey, but nice Italian, pretty much top tier bike, I am thinking. I know decals can fade out on these Pinnies, yours look good , so maybe new. What is tubing on it? When did they put out the chrome ones? I guess that 85 catalog is saying they were SLX and blue. Still looks like a great bike to me. Hopefully all the details will come together to your satisfaction. Seems like there should be period correct SR post on that thing though. If thats what you thought you were getting let the Seller know.
Old 01-13-17, 05:26 PM
WolfRyder

Bikes: Not that many, just getting started.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This Pinnie Monte (I just came up with that abbreviation now lol) All chrome SLX Frameset looks pretty similar to yours on ebay.de and Seller is saying it is a 85. No decals, which shouldn't be too unexpected on a vintage Pinarello. Seems like they didn't design those to last, but collectors know that, so is less of big deal about original decals than from another brand per se.

Old 01-13-17, 06:03 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Liked 4,114 Times in 1,527 Posts
Originally Posted by WolfRyder
When did they put out the chrome ones?
As far as I know Pinarello never sold the Montello as a pure chrome bike. In the late 80's they made some "chromovelato" which had translucent black paint over the chrome. They were all chrome underneath, so it's pretty common to find them stripped down to the chrome.

I'm pretty sure all Montellos were made with Columbus SLX.
Old 01-13-17, 06:46 PM
Bikerider007

Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by styggno1
All threads benefit from first execution delta brakes. This thread too.

From https://bulgier.net

^^^

Would be in the year range and bike style I would do C Rec.on.
Old 01-17-17, 07:24 PM
Old Fireleg

Bikes: '76 Colnago Super NR,'83 Romani Aero KL/SP SR, '85 Mino Denti Aero Master CR, '86 ALAN Cyclo-cross DA, '89 Bottecchia SLX CR, '90 Colnago Master Piu CR

Liked 71 Times in 48 Posts
Feel free to mount Super Record for the Montello. In 1985-86 many professionals were wary of the new C-Record yet. and they used the old tried and tested SR. Your frame made in the first period ('85-'87)
I believe there isn't one to tell us exactly what year. Unless you have the bill or an old familiar Pinarello worker who knows the secret of the serial numbers. Perhaps the stamp on the back of the saddle helps invention of the year. You're lucky this is the first series Regal saddle with aluminium rails (San Marco changed to the copper rails during the year 1987)
If you want to be completely period correct you needed the date of the crankarms and the rear derallieur adapted to the frame. And I see your brakes were made before 1984...
Old 01-23-17, 04:45 PM
rr99

Hi guys,

Thank you so much for your responses. I'm really thankful.
I apologize if I'm boring with my questions, but I have another one coming up.
The Montello that I've bought recently came fully chromed. This is not though its original condition. The previous owner made it like this. The tubing is SLX.
Moreover, I've really trusted the seller concernig the year of the Montello. He confirmed that it is a 1985 model. However, when I have inspected the frame & fork in detail, I've kind of a noticed that the fork, 1cm below the GP panto, has a softly engraved circle which is only visible up close. Hence, I believe, just a guees, that this partcular part of the fork, above the engraved line along with the GP panto, was actually painted before the owner made the frame&fork fully chromed.
I believe that the 1985 Montello came with fully chromed fork, no circles nor lines engraved on it. The later models came just exactly as I've described above (with partially painted fork).
I'm totally confused and I don't whether this is a 1985 model or not? I trully hope that the seller didn't lied to me.
Are there any Pinarello experts who can help me out over here? Are there any specific signs on the 1985 Montello frame? What's distinctive about this particular model that other models don't have?

I would really appreciate each response.

Thank you

Best,
rr99
Old 01-23-17, 05:09 PM
Andy_K 

[MENTION=20650]T-Mar[/MENTION] seems to have a really good handle on how to narrow down the age of these. Maybe he'll offer some advice.

I believe most Montellos had fully chrome forks, the exception being the cromovelato models. Is the location of the circle you're describing consistent with the white ring on this Montello (from the 1987 catalog)?

Old 01-23-17, 05:18 PM
rr99

I believe it is.
Omg, why would this seller lie, cause I've specifically asked for the year...
He firmly confirmed twice that 1985 Montello is indeed what he's actually selling.

Originally Posted by Andy_K
[MENTION=20650]T-Mar[/MENTION] seems to have a really good handle on how to narrow down the age of these. Maybe he'll offer some advice.

I believe most Montellos had fully chrome forks, the exception being the cromovelato models. Is the location of the circle you're describing consistent with the white ring on this Montello (from the 1987 catalog)?

Old 01-23-17, 05:36 PM
Andy_K 

I believe it is.
Omg, why would this seller lie, cause I've specifically asked for the year...
He firmly confirmed twice that 1985 Montello is indeed what he's actually selling.
I wouldn't necessarily assume he lied. He might really have believed that it was a 1985. The age on these is notoriously difficult to pin down. It's also possible (though less likely, I think) that it is a 1985 and this is just some variation that doesn't appear in the catalogs.

Do you mind if I ask why having a 1985 in particular is important to you? I'm not saying you're wrong to want that, I'm just curious as to why.
Old 01-23-17, 05:45 PM
rr99

Frankly, my father had ride an 1985 Montello. He trully loved that bike, but unforunatelly he's bike was stolen and never found afterwards. Dissapeared from the face of earth.
I'm born in 1985 as well. It's an emotional and personal thing. I believe you understand me.

I wouldn't necessarily assume he lied. He might really have believed that it was a 1985. The age on these is notoriously difficult to pin down. It's also possible (though less likely, I think) that it is a 1985 and this is just some variation that doesn't appear in the catalogs.

Do you mind if I ask why having a 1985 in particular is important to you? I'm not saying you're wrong to want that, I'm just curious as to why.
Old 01-23-17, 05:55 PM
Andy_K 

Fair enough. I like to think of mine as a 1987 because that's the year I graduated from high school, but honestly I don't really know.
Old 01-23-17, 05:57 PM
rr99

I found a 'similar' frame as mine which ia currently on sale on eBay. It is listed as an 1985 Montello, but when you zoom in the fork, you can clearly see that there is an engraved circle(ring) just below the GP panto on the fork.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/122313326325

Old 01-23-17, 05:57 PM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Liked 581 Times in 253 Posts
A Montello with Dura Ace. I swapped the pedals and put on a white Turbo since this picture was taken back in 2015.
I also have an '83ish Record with Campy NR.

I just can't imagine a Pinarello with Dura Ace on it :/ The picture will be incomplete. That just my opinion.
Attached Images
IMG_0906.jpg (95.5 KB, 124 views)

Last edited by rjhammett; 01-23-17 at 06:00 PM.
Old 01-23-17, 06:55 PM
rr99

I'll upload tomorrow more photos of the entire frame and fork, so you guys can review it from upclose.

Originally Posted by Chuckk
What I was told on the CR list is that my Montello was a 1985 because it only had one set of bottle bosses.
Seat tube bosses started in '86.

Is it possible that the line you're seeing on the fork is the mating point between the fork bridge and the blades?
Probably a clear close-up would explain.
Old 01-24-17, 08:38 AM
T-Mar

Liked 3,052 Times in 1,885 Posts
The 1985 Montello had a single set of bottle bosses, no pump peg and a seat tube decal with a single Pinarello logo on the front of the tube. The 1986 version got upgraded with two set of bottle bosses, a pump peg and a seat tube decal with the Pinarello logo on both sides of the tube. The decal change prevented the logo from been obscured when using a bottle on the seat tube bosses. Note that these configurations applied to standard production and there could be variations for custom ordered framesets.
Old 01-24-17, 11:54 AM
rr99

As I've promised, I have attached photos of my Montello. Concerning our previous discussion, what do you think about the authenticity of this 1985 Montello?

Originally Posted by Chuckk
What I was told on the CR list is that my Montello was a 1985 because it only had one set of bottle bosses.
Seat tube bosses started in '86.

Is it possible that the line you're seeing on the fork is the mating point between the fork bridge and the blades?
Probably a clear close-up would explain.

It's not unnatural for a bike frame to be completely chrome plated, then masked and painted. You can usually tell "stripped to the chrome" frames by a low level of finish on the tubes and normally painted lugs. (like your Ebay example)
Attached Images
IMG_9525.jpg (92.2 KB, 114 views)
IMG_9527.jpg (95.6 KB, 112 views)
IMG_9526.jpg (93.2 KB, 112 views)
IMG_9531.jpg (93.5 KB, 117 views)
IMG_9532.jpg (100.9 KB, 113 views)
IMG_9533.jpg (94.1 KB, 112 views)
IMG_9534.jpg (94.7 KB, 112 views)
IMG_9535.jpg (94.0 KB, 108 views)
IMG_9537.jpg (95.9 KB, 111 views)
IMG_9540.jpg (95.9 KB, 111 views)
IMG_9541.jpg (96.5 KB, 111 views)
Old 01-24-17, 12:19 PM
rr99

Hi T-Mar,

Thank you for your input. What do you think about the photos I have just added? Does this frame match the specific description/characteristics of the one you've outlined?

Thanks

Originally Posted by T-Mar
The 1985 Montello had a single set of bottle bosses, no pump peg and a seat tube decal with a single Pinarello logo on the front of the tube. The 1986 version got upgraded with two set of bottle bosses, a pump peg and a seat tube decal with the Pinarello logo on both sides of the tube. The decal change prevented the logo from been obscured when using a bottle on the seat tube bosses. Note that these configurations applied to standard production and there could be variations for custom ordered framesets.
Old 01-24-17, 12:39 PM
Andy_K 

Here's something interesting for you. This shows an alternative explanation for the rings you are seeing -- just the fork crown is painted. This bike definitely appears to be a 1985 Montello.

In addition to matching the markers T-Mar mentioned, the downtube decal shows only the 1984 Olympic victory. PINARELLO Montello

Note that you can make out a ring on your seat stays showing the paint line there too.
Old 01-24-17, 12:44 PM
Andy_K 

By the way, the level of polish on your chrome where there used to be paint is remarkable. It's not surprising the original paint would have had trouble bonding to that, but it looks great now. I thought my chrome was good, but the roughness on mine is much more apparent than on yours.
Old 01-24-17, 01:02 PM
rr99

Hi Andy.K

Thank you for your explanation. I was led to believe that the 1985 model came out with a fully chromed fork not partially colored. I thought that the original 1985 Montello should look exactly like this one which is currently listed on eBay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/132070828965

Thanks

Here's something interesting for you. This shows an alternative explanation for the rings you are seeing -- just the fork crown is painted. This bike definitely appears to be a 1985 Montello.

In addition to matching the markers T-Mar mentioned, the downtube decal shows only the 1984 Olympic victory. PINARELLO Montello

Note that you can make out a ring on your seat stays showing the paint line there too.
Old 01-24-17, 02:41 PM
Andy_K 

I was led to believe that the 1985 model came out with a fully chromed fork not partially colored. I thought that the original 1985 Montello should look exactly like this one which is currently listed on eBay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/132070828965
I'm not sure it's that simple. While I don't believe in the idyllic picture of Giovanni Pinarello sitting in his shed hand making these frames, I also don't think it would be correct to picture an assembly line where large volumes of frames are churned out in accordance with a tightly controlled formula. From what I've seen there are variations that aren't accounted for in any of the literature. For example, someone posted a Pinarello on here recently that had a tab for a racing number. What was that? Who knows?

Does your frame have a head badge or holes in the head tube where rivets would have been? That would possibly narrow things down, but maybe not. It's really hard to say there are any hard and fast rules for dating these bikes. For instance, I believe T-Mar has as much knowledge about this as anyone I've talked to, but here's a link to a ~1989 catalog that shows Pinarellos with no seat tube water bottle holes and a forward facing "Pinarello" decal in contradiction to the guideline T-Mar offered. (I think in this case the sticker on the head tube would be the distinguishing feature.)

Pinarello Vince Catalog - 2VELO2VELO

Anyway, I think you're overthinking this a bit. Lacking definitive evidence to say that it's not a 1985, I would just accept that it is and be happy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.