Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

New bike recommendations

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

New bike recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-17, 12:19 PM
jbandt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
New bike recommendations

Hi folks,

Currently a Salsa Fargo owner, but I find myself looking at something better suited for my needs. Fargo is a great bike but I think it's a bit to mtb focused for my mainly flat commutes riding.

I'm looking at the Salsa Vaya, Specialized AWOL, and Kona Sutra LTD. I like the relatively short reach and taller stack of these bikes for the upright position, and clearance for 2" tires is nice too. Not sure what to go with. Vaya is first pick but I don't have any local retailers. Kona is scarce too. AWOL is easiest to get. Any opinions on these 3. I'm mostly commuting with occasional weekend road or mild trail rides.
Old 01-31-17, 12:54 PM
Tim_Iowa

Bikes: 1997 Rivendell Road Standard 650b conversion (tourer), 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10 (gravel/tour), 2013 Foundry Auger disc (CX/gravel), 2016 Cannondale Fat CAAD 2 (MTB/winter), 2011 Cannondale Flash 29er Lefty (trail MTB)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Have you tried lightweight, slick tires on your Fargo yet?
Old 01-31-17, 01:03 PM
jbandt

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tim_Iowa
Have you tried lightweight, slick tires on your Fargo yet?
I have. Vittoria rando in 35mm. Found those to not be very comfy. Currently on conti cruise contact in 2" variety. I'm finding this size to be too slow/sluggish. I'm also considering something in the 40mm size to maybe be a happy medium between the two. I've also considered going to a carbon fork to lighten and smooth out the ride, but a qr carbon fork is not as popular these days. Just not sure I want to invest the money if I end up changing bikes anyway.
Old 01-31-17, 05:29 PM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Look at GT Grade, Felt v85, Surly Straggler, Fuji Tread, Fuji Jari, Diamondback Haanjo and Breezer Radar Pro as some other offerings in the country bike/adventure bike/gravel road bike lineup.
Old 01-31-17, 08:09 PM
syncro87

Bikes: Raleigh Willard 2, Spec Sequoia Elite, State 4130 AllRoad, Catrike Expedition, Mercier Nano mini velo

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
< I'm mostly commuting with occasional weekend road or mild trail rides. >

Specialized Sequoia

Trek CrossRip

Felt V series line

Specialized Diverge

Giant Anyroad

Cannondale Slate

Jamis Renegade

Salsa Vaya, you already mentioned

Spec AWOL, ^

Just some ideas that come to mind if you want something decent on road that can also do some trail, etc. The Anyroad in particular seemed to be fairly upright to me when I looked at one.

Last edited by syncro87; 01-31-17 at 08:21 PM.
Old 01-31-17, 09:03 PM
jbandt

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by NormanF
Look at GT Grade, Felt v85, Surly Straggler, Fuji Tread, Fuji Jari, Diamondback Haanjo and Breezer Radar Pro as some other offerings in the country bike/adventure bike/gravel road bike lineup.
I'll check on the fuji, I've had a V85. Didn't like it much. Tire clearance isn't great either. GT and Surly aren't readily available either.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 01-31-17, 09:45 PM
NormanF

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Fairdale Weekender could also be on your list.

It was on mine but at the time I went for a GT Eightball partly for an IGH and tire clearance up to 42 c.

Today, I'd get the redesigned Weekender which has clearance for up to 45 c tires.

Whatever all-rounder bike you eventually decide to get, I'm sure you will be happy with it. Good luck!
Old 01-31-17, 10:00 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Vaya, AWOL, and Sutra were the same three bikes I cross shopped when I was on the market. Coming from a Fargo, any lower stack than what the Vaya and AWOL offer will feel like you're riding on your hands.

Obviously, a test ride is mandatory but beyond that I always recommend a careful consideration of the dealer. My relationship with the Specialized dealer runs long and deep, so that gave the AWOL a leg up.

The Sutra offers a more traditional touring geo, the AWOL is more gravel/versatile, and the Vaya has the shortest reach. My gues is that because you're coming off a Fargo, you'll probably feel most comfortable (familiar) on the Vaya. I'd be very happy to own a Vaya. The geo is very comfy and there's no questioning the quality.

My AWOL has been fantastic. Comfy, strong and smooth, it's done everything I've asked of it without a hiccup. I'm approaching 10k miles of rain or shine commuting and middleweight touring. I've done a few gravel runs, but mostly for weekend entertainment.

Maybe you can pick up a Vaya frameset and swap the running gear off the Fargo. Add a quality wheelset and you're good to go.

-Kedosto
Old 01-31-17, 11:18 PM
jbandt

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kedosto
Vaya, AWOL, and Sutra were the same three bikes I cross shopped when I was on the market. Coming from a Fargo, any lower stack than what the Vaya and AWOL offer will feel like you're riding on your hands.

Obviously, a test ride is mandatory but beyond that I always recommend a careful consideration of the dealer. My relationship with the Specialized dealer runs long and deep, so that gave the AWOL a leg up.

The Sutra offers a more traditional touring geo, the AWOL is more gravel/versatile, and the Vaya has the shortest reach. My gues is that because you're coming off a Fargo, you'll probably feel most comfortable (familiar) on the Vaya. I'd be very happy to own a Vaya. The geo is very comfy and there's no questioning the quality.

My AWOL has been fantastic. Comfy, strong and smooth, it's done everything I've asked of it without a hiccup. I'm approaching 10k miles of rain or shine commuting and middleweight touring. I've done a few gravel runs, but mostly for weekend entertainment.

Maybe you can pick up a Vaya frameset and swap the running gear off the Fargo. Add a quality wheelset and you're good to go.

-Kedosto
I'm leaning towards AWOL mostly because I can get one. Trouble is nobody stocks these touring/multipurpose types bikes in my area. To bring one in you have to be certain you want it otherwise it's another bike sitting in inventory which makes it hard to test ride. That plus outside of trek, spec, giant there aren't many shops that carry the smaller brands. Local shop has a medium AWOL I'm going to test even though it's at less 1 size of not 2 too small, but at least I can get a sense of the ride quality.
Old 02-01-17, 06:39 AM
ALLSTOTT

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Id test ride them all if possible and find the best fit. Last month I was doing the same thing as you to find a bettering fitting. The Vaya and Cross Check were my top contenders, I really liked both but ultimately chose the CC just because i got it significantly cheaper. If it wasn't for that, I was going to get the Vaya Claris.
Old 02-01-17, 07:15 AM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jbandt
Hi folks,

Currently a Salsa Fargo owner, but I find myself looking at something better suited for my needs.......I'm looking at the Salsa Vaya, Specialized AWOL, and Kona Sutra LTD.
Sure.... not exactly "a distinction without a difference"..... but the differences are subtle, maybe even modest. You certainly have good taste and a fine understanding of bicycles. But maybe consider a different approach. Maybe something faster, leaner, racier... for a real change/difference? Just my thoughts.
Old 02-01-17, 09:26 PM
NormanF

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by jbandt
I'm leaning towards AWOL mostly because I can get one. Trouble is nobody stocks these touring/multipurpose types bikes in my area. To bring one in you have to be certain you want it otherwise it's another bike sitting in inventory which makes it hard to test ride. That plus outside of trek, spec, giant there aren't many shops that carry the smaller brands. Local shop has a medium AWOL I'm going to test even though it's at less 1 size of not 2 too small, but at least I can get a sense of the ride quality.
You could try the Priority Continuum:

https://www.prioritybicycles.com/products/thecontinuum

Just order off the Internet and you're good to go!
Old 02-03-17, 03:31 PM
Treksu2
1eanda

Bikes: 2018 All-City Macho Man Flatbar, 2016 Surly Ogre, 2018 Cannondale Cujo 2, 2017 Fairdale Weekender Drop, 2016 Trek 520 Disc, 2016 Fuji Sportif 1.0 LE, 2015 Novara Randonee, 2015 Trek 7.3 FX, 2015 Trek 8.3 DS, 2008 Trek Su2

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Trek 520 Disc Touring bike and really enjoy it.

Thinking about a second bicycle this spring ... so far the 2017 All Chrome Fairdale Weekender Drop is at the top of my list
Old 02-13-17, 11:15 PM
Treksu2
1eanda

Bikes: 2018 All-City Macho Man Flatbar, 2016 Surly Ogre, 2018 Cannondale Cujo 2, 2017 Fairdale Weekender Drop, 2016 Trek 520 Disc, 2016 Fuji Sportif 1.0 LE, 2015 Novara Randonee, 2015 Trek 7.3 FX, 2015 Trek 8.3 DS, 2008 Trek Su2

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New 2017 Fairdale Weekender Drop on its way

I just ordered the 2017 Fairdale Weekender Drop (all chrome finish), should arrive at
the bike shop by this Thursday February 16, 2017

FAIRDALE2017WeekenderDrop2.jpg
Old 02-13-17, 11:21 PM
NormanF

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Treksu2
I just ordered the 2017 Fairdale Weekender Drop (all chrome finish), should arrive at
the bike shop by this Thursday February 16, 2017

Attachment 552867
Congratulations on your new Fairdale Weekender Drop! Its an all-round bike and you'll find multiple uses for it: commuting, utility riding, touring, gravel trail riding and bikepacking.

It has mounts for racks and fenders and can handle heavy loads, something a classic road bike simply can't do!

Enjoy your new bike.
Old 02-13-17, 11:27 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 179 Post(s)
Quoted: 5917 Post(s)
Liked 3,572 Times in 2,125 Posts
Figure out what you don't like about the Fargo for commuting and then find a bike that does the job better. Otherwise you are just reading about what bikes people like. Nothing wrong with that but I'd focus on finding the right tool for the job. Personally I'd commute on that Fargo. I ride a mtb drop bar conversion as a commuter--a 1987 specialized stumpjumper--and think it's a fine bike for the job.