Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Simple question - best chain lube?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Simple question - best chain lube?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-07, 02:22 PM
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Boeshield. Nothing I've used has lasted longer under any conditions
Old 07-18-07, 02:38 PM
modernjess
ride for a change

Bikes: Surly Cross-check & Moonlander, Pivot Mach 429, Ted Wojcik Sof-Trac, Ridley Orion. Santa Cruz Stigmata

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Raiyn
Boeshield. Nothing I've used has lasted longer under any conditions
+1 my thoughts exactly.

Earlier someone said "there is no one right answser" and I agree, it does depend on conditions etc... But over the years I've used almost every type mentioned and to me Boeshield is the overall winner.

If I could only choose one lube it would be Boeshield.
Old 07-18-07, 02:45 PM
kaygeerides
Custom User Title

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Boeshield T-9.... one more vote. At Interbike every year the T-9 booth has a steel plate which has been sprayed with various lubes (WD-40, Phil's, White Lightning, etc) and weathered. Of course the part of the plate that was sprayed with T-9 has dramatically less corrosion than the other spots. Not sure about the transferrability of this test to bike chains, but it's easy to apply and can be used on everything on the bike (except where you want grease).
Old 07-18-07, 02:48 PM
greenstork

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Summer - Dumonde Tech Lite
Winter - ProLink
Old 07-18-07, 02:50 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Liked 3,110 Times in 1,418 Posts
ProLink for the summer, Finish Line XC Wet for the winter. Lube, wipe, ride, repeat.
Old 07-18-07, 03:17 PM
pieholden

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Finish Line Cross Country Dry unless I'm riding mountain bike in wet conditions through streams and such, which is whehn i use the Finish Line Wet. The key is to drop the lube conservatively on each side of each link throughout the length of the chain, give it a spin, let it sit for 5 minutes then wipe the sides with a clean rag. This will keep the lube where it needs to be and doesn't leave any reisdual lube to attract dirt that will kill your drivetrain.
Old 07-18-07, 03:54 PM
Russ
Fish'r wish'r

Bikes: Homebuilt (vintage mtb frame)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dumonde Tech. Clean drivetrain well before first application, apply lightly, and reapply whenever the drivetrain starts to make noise (squeaks, clicking, whatever - you'll hear something when more lube is needed). Drivetrain stays pretty clean (not pristine, but not bad) - no gunky buildup.
Old 07-18-07, 04:12 PM
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by modernjess
+1 my thoughts exactly.

Earlier someone said "there is no one right answser" and I agree, it does depend on conditions etc... But over the years I've used almost every type mentioned and to me Boeshield is the overall winner.

If I could only choose one lube it would be Boeshield.
I use Boeshield around the house in light lube applications where one would typically try WD-40. I sprayed the mechanism on our breezeway jalousies two or three years ago and they went from being essentially stuck to operating effortlessly to this day.

Originally Posted by kaygeerides
Boeshield T-9.... one more vote. At Interbike every year the T-9 booth has a steel plate which has been sprayed with various lubes (WD-40, Phil's, White Lightning, etc) and weathered. Of course the part of the plate that was sprayed with T-9 has dramatically less corrosion than the other spots. Not sure about the transferrability of this test to bike chains, but it's easy to apply and can be used on everything on the bike (except where you want grease).
Some folks have used it for rustproofing the inside of steel bike frames
Old 07-18-07, 07:05 PM
Psydotek
Body By Nintendo

Location: Videogames ruined my life. Good thing i have 2 extra lives.

Bikes: Giant TCR2, Giant TCX, IRO BFSSFG SE, Salsa Casseroll, IRO Rob Roy.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Raiyn
Some folks have used it for rustproofing the inside of steel bike frames
I'm planning on doing this while i finally start building up the track frame i've got sitting here next to me.

I used White Lightning for a bit at first then finally switched to Boeshield when i found a place that had it (after hearing about it here). I haven't looked at anything else since then.

Originally Posted by jsharr
A girl once asked me to give her twelve inches and make it hurt. I had to make love to her 3 times and then punch her in the nose.
Old 07-18-07, 07:07 PM
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Psydotek
I'm planning on doing this while i finally start building up the track frame i've got sitting here next to me.
To tell the truth I like Framesaver for the task. I have no doubts that the Boeshield will do an admirable job, but my experience with Framesaver has been positive
Originally Posted by Psydotek
I used White Lightning for a bit at first then finally switched to Boeshield when i found a place that had it (after hearing about it here). I haven't looked at anything else since then.
Sears.
Old 07-18-07, 07:24 PM
workingbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ax0n
I used FinishLine Wax during the winter and it seemed really durable. I'm currently using (and loving) the Boeshield T9 for my road bike. It's another suspended wax style of lube. It sticks the the drivetrain pretty well, but in higher temperatures, stays a pasty liquid consistency on your chain.
+1 on the Boeshield, I've tried many different ones and I'm liking this one so far. Stays clean like White Lightning but has much better staying power.
Old 07-19-07, 06:15 PM
bhchdh 

Bikes: '07 Trek 520, '09 Gary Fisher Triton, '04 Trek 8000, '85 Trek 500, '84 Trek 610, '85 Trek 510, '88 Trek 660, '92 Trek 930, Trek Multitrack 700

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Pro Link
Old 07-20-07, 12:58 AM
ginsoakedboy
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rock n' Roll - the original pink stuff. Great lube because it is nice and thin so it flows where you need it to, but also sets up nicely overnight and lasts well. It is also a cleaner (the cleaner solvent is what makes it thin and penetrating), but I've found not to use it as directed which calls for it to be applied in a stream over the casette -- this results in the solvents penetrating the hub and breaking down the grease in the hub.
Old 07-20-07, 04:55 AM
ActionJeans
I wish I was more ethnic

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Bianchi Milano, Binachi Veloce

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Prolink.
Old 07-20-07, 07:48 AM
JeffS
not a role model

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sci-Fi
Dupont Teflon MultiUse Lubricant, comes in squeeze bottle or spray, is my preference.
This is what I've been using lately. It works, and is cheap.
Old 02-01-17, 07:53 PM
1Coopgt

Bikes: Mongoose Reform Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sci-Fi
Dupont Teflon MultiUse Lubricant, comes in squeeze bottle or spray, is my preference.
I use this on my motorcycle after cleaning the chain with WD40. Plan on doing the same with the Hybrid.
Old 02-01-17, 07:59 PM
jon c. 

Liked 1,027 Times in 576 Posts
I've been using Chain-L and have been happy with the results.
Old 02-02-17, 08:28 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Any lube that is decently thin enough to get inside the rollers, and has a thin application straw, is good enough for me. I have a couple of bottle of Tri-Flow so I use that. I wipe the chain, then apply ONE DROP to EACH ROLLER. One drop'll do ya!

I apply the drops to the rollers along the bottom section of chain between the RD jockey wheels and the chain rings, then rotate the cranks back to move to the next length of chain, which means you have to pay attention where you left off when you move the chain backwards. Let sit a few minutes then wipe. Works great!
Old 02-02-17, 02:04 PM
Giant Doofus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tibikefor2
Rock 'n Roll Gold

ROCK "N" ROLL LUBRICATIONS
Love this stuff.
Old 02-03-17, 12:01 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Liked 3,543 Times in 2,629 Posts
I love zombies. When you smash their skulls and their brains squish out, that makes an excellent chain lube.
Old 02-03-17, 12:59 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Liked 2,642 Times in 1,534 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
I love zombies. When you smash their skulls and their brains squish out, that makes an excellent chain lube.
Only if you squoosh* them while they're fresh.

*Do you folks in other areas use that word? It rhymes with push.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-03-17, 01:33 PM
AdvXtrm

Bikes: 2016 Novara - Safari

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another vote here for "Boeshield T-9". It penetrates the way a good chain lube should, getting between all moving parts, and then forms a protective film that lasts for a very long time. I'm happy with it!
Old 02-03-17, 03:26 PM
vol

Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
So one can do with just TriFlow for both chain and all other parts of the bike? I have an unfinished bottle of TriFlow for some 6 years now, is it still good to use? (only used it for gears, not chain)
Old 02-03-17, 04:03 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Liked 3,543 Times in 2,629 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Only if you squoosh* them while they're fresh.

*Do you folks in other areas use that word? It rhymes with push.
I might say Squoosh sometimes. Or for additional hilarity, Squarsh
Old 02-04-17, 10:03 AM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
"Squarsh" lol!

-Kedosto
(Feedin' the Zombie)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.