Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

National Teams etc and how to get there

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-17, 04:25 PM
CanadianBiker32

Bikes: Maxim, Rocky Mountain, Argon 18, Cervelo S2 Team

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Just curious as to someone who wants to get onto some Elite teams in cycling world.
Such as a UCI pursuit team etc.
What type of races does one need to enter and do in order to move up the ranks to try to get on a special team etc?
thanks
Old 02-26-17, 04:29 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3377 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by CanadianBiker32
Just curious as to someone who wants to get onto some Elite teams in cycling world.
What type of races does one need to enter and do in order to move up the ranks to try to get on a special team etc?
thanks
Totally country independent.

I expect it is always a very large percent political based on assumptions they have about a rider and the rider commitment.

I have noticed, with some frustration that they typically don't pick the riders able to the best for a certain course, rather the riders that have done the best in the past.

FWIW Canada has camped out at the LA Velodrome the last half decade. So if you are from Canada - think about moving to LA.
Old 02-26-17, 05:52 PM
mkadam68

Bikes: 2012 MotorHouse road bike. No. You can't get one.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Yeah, Doge kinda nails it ("political"). Not only is it how well you ride in races, and which races, but it's also alot about who you know. Not necessarily you directly, but for instance, your coach. Maybe he has a good reputation in the community, and does he know the right people. He can then recommend you to them, they take a look, and like what they see, and give you a call, maybe an invitation to a team ride or camp or something, where you then prove that you have the goods and attitude to belong. And attitude is very big at the youth level (U23). Sure, maybe you have the talent and maybe even potential, but if you know everything, no one else will want to waste their energy trying to teach you.

Now, it's also possible to do this without knowing people/having a network of contacts. To do that, you just need to show up to the races that prospective "special teams" show up at, and then you spank them. Their coach/director will then take notice of you. But unless you have natural talent to beat them at their game AND a hard work ethos to develop it, this is much, much harder.
Old 02-27-17, 12:34 PM
gl98115

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
FWIW Canada has camped out at the LA Velodrome the last half decade. So if you are from Canada - think about moving to LA.
False. Cycling Canada is based out of the Mattamy National Cycling Centre in Milton, Ontario. Their indoor velodrome is much nicer than LA.

Here are the selection policies for track in Canada.

Program / Policies - National Team - Track - Cycling Canada Cyclisme
Old 02-27-17, 02:04 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3377 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by gl98115
False. Cycling Canada is based out of the Mattamy National Cycling Centre in Milton, Ontario. Their indoor velodrome is much nicer than LA.

Here are the selection policies for track in Canada.

Program / Policies - National Team - Track - Cycling Canada Cyclisme
My son was working with Tanya a Canadian NT coach who told us that a few years back. Last year the there were some maple leafs around still practicing. I assumed still in the same program.

As far as how nice it is, I would recommend a choice based on the coaches, competition and contacts.
Old 02-27-17, 02:15 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1853 Post(s)
Liked 680 Times in 431 Posts
To be fair, the Mattamy Center cost two and a half times as much as the LA Velodrome.
Old 02-27-17, 11:51 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by CanadianBiker32
thanks
I think it depends on what country you're in - @scheibo tells a tale of people going from Cat 5 directly to UCI pro in your homeland.

In the US, I don't think that's even possible.

my race videos
Old 02-28-17, 09:28 AM
scheibo
once a runner

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I especially like a quote from an article where one of the riders talks about about the cycling they did before joining a trade team: "Cycling is cross-training for running. We did two races, but we did them for fun. We didn’t really consider ourselves cyclists, it was just a thing to do". And now they're on ProCyclingStats! I should have stayed in Canada...