Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

4 bikes stolen from my garage

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-17, 03:39 PM
CrowSeph

Bikes: BMC SLR01; Cannondale Trail; Lot's of project and vintage bikes..

Liked 168 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
They deserve really more than that
[MENTION=403445]Jaredn[/MENTION]: i hope you will get your bikes back..
Old 02-23-17, 03:42 PM
Jaredn

Bikes: 2021 Rock Lobster Steel "All-Road" // 1989 Eddy Merckx Century TSX "Team Motorola" // 1995 Eddy Merckx Arcobaleno

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CrowSeph
[MENTION=403445]Jaredn[/MENTION]: i hope you will get your bikes back..
Thanks. Though I've already mentally written them off, I really really really want that Merckx back ...
Old 03-07-17, 03:40 PM
Defyme

Bikes: 2015 Giant Defy Advanced 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaredn
You may not be TRYING to be ****ty about this, but you ARE being ****ty.

I will most definitely miss the Merckx and the Giant. Just because I don't ride 24/7 doesn't mean I don't enjoy riding. I have other hobbies, cars, computers, photography. I would be upset if my camera, computer, or car got stolen as well.

I own a house with a detached garage that we only use for storage. I've been busy with work, out of town here and there, and had holiday crap to deal with. I have had no reason to go in the garage and no time to ride my bikes. The last time I remember going in there was Dec 9th for some tools, and the bikes were there for sure. I may have gone in there 2 or 3 days ago, or a week ago, I don't keep a log at the door whenever I enter or exit.

I posted on Bike Index and setup alerts for new listings on craigslist.
I just filed a police report and we are still going through the security footage to find out exactly when it happened.
Sorry to hear about your loss. I do want to thank you for posting your story on the forum. I for one have been standing my ground with my wife regarding storing our bikes in our house. And, I will say that at least six times a year, she pleads with me to move the bikes into the garage. I am going to share your story with her as a reminder why I am insistent of keeping the bikes in the house.

I know that if I were you, I would feel sick over having my bikes stolen. Especially, if it were my Giant Defy. That is not something I could go out and replace tomorrow. Hope you find your bikes. I feel for you!
Old 03-07-17, 03:47 PM
Jaredn

Bikes: 2021 Rock Lobster Steel "All-Road" // 1989 Eddy Merckx Century TSX "Team Motorola" // 1995 Eddy Merckx Arcobaleno

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Found the videos in my surveillance system-

https://vimeo.com/album/4451488

https://vimeo.com/album/4451490
Old 03-08-17, 12:08 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Liked 339 Times in 208 Posts
Found the videos in my surveillance system-

https://vimeo.com/album/4451488

https://vimeo.com/album/4451490
Wow. That's huge.
I don't know if you'll ever see your bike again, but the likelihood of an arrest seems to have greatly increased.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 03-08-17, 10:39 PM
ZippyThePinhead
Slacker

Bikes: 1986 Peugeot Orient Express, 1987 Trek 560 Pro, 1983 SR Semi Pro, 2010 Motobecane Le Champion Titanium, 2011 Trek Fuel EX8

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman
[...] the likelihood of an arrest seems to have greatly increased.
I really hope so. I hope the OP gets the bikes back, too, especially the Merckx.

Some years ago my neighborhood was hit with a sudden flurry of cat burglary episodes. The perp was sneaking in during the night, brazenly stealing while folks slept just feet away. In the wake of this several residents went out and bought home security camera systems, and I asked a friend of mine who is experienced in that business what he thought. Very succinctly he told me that the local police could show dozens of videos of guys wearing baseball caps, hoodies, and bandanas covering their faces who were captured on security cameras while robbing/burglarizing.

However, they did get the perp in the cat burglary case, but so far as I know, not because of any security camera footage.

Best of luck to the OP. My heart goes out to you.
Old 03-10-17, 04:48 PM
KristinaW

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry for your loss, that's terrible! Hope you get them all back.

What's about insurance, do you have it? I'm asking cos I don't have insurance for my bike before one perfect summer day someone stole it from the park. No one was found and that was awful. The next bike, my husband insured on the next day after purchase, he said that he don't want to see when my tears again. We have the same insurance company for bikes as for cars, it's MIS (https://www.mis-insurance.com/) and we pay $7/month, that cost my calmness.

Do you have anything from the police?
Old 03-10-17, 04:57 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Liked 2,959 Times in 1,640 Posts
Originally Posted by KristinaW

What's about insurance, do you have it? .....
Generally, home owners insurance covers everything stolen from the home, with some restrictions, such as on jewelry. Bikes are usually covered subject to the standard deductable, though I suggest that anyone with high value bikes save their purchase receipts to prevent arguments over what a bike is worth.

However, most policies don't cover the theft of the bike out in the world. That offsite theft coverage can be added for an additional premium.

Keep in mind that theft insurance often/usually covers "fair market" or "depreciated" value. This can lead to plenty of negotiation relating what a 2 year old $5,000 bike may be worth.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 03-11-17, 04:49 PM
Tycho Brahe 

Liked 94 Times in 67 Posts
It's a detached garage, meaning I have to walk out of my house and through the back yard/side yard to get to it. I was out of state for work on and off, plus having visitors for the holidays, and it being cold and raining, I had no reason to enter the garage for about a 1-2 month period. We don't park our cars in there, the only things in there are tools, gardening supplies, various car parts, and my bikes. I don't see how this is so perplexing. It is essentially a storage unit. Do you go open all of your drawers at home every day to make sure your things are still there?
There was no need to justify yourself. Not blaming anyone, merely stating that was my takeaway from the original post. I once was overseas for a year, and I was worried about my stuff in a storage unit. Almost wanted to ask a friend to check up on it.

Glad to see you had some video. Usually when I see video surveillance tapes of crooks, the are very grainy and/or glitchy. Yours are great. What seems scary about the situation is that the person appeared to have visited several times over the span of hours/days. To have someone take continuous liberties of your property is disgraceful. The person looks homeless. I know that surely some meth head stole my bike. I am assuming you narrowed down a date at least.
Old 03-11-17, 04:52 PM
Tycho Brahe 

Liked 94 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
However, most policies don't cover the theft of the bike out in the world. That offsite theft coverage can be added for an additional premium.
My renters insurance policy covered my bicycle that was stolen in front of a store over a 100 miles away. No questions asked, no receipts needed. Liberty Mutual is a great insurance company. The insurance representative only want a police report and a bike model. I was willing to give exact details! All the upgrade components, down the the water bottle holders. The basically paid for the bicycle and wheels. Did not bother with the saddle and what not.

Last edited by Tycho Brahe; 03-11-17 at 08:34 PM.
Old 03-11-17, 07:46 PM
bargainguy

Liked 336 Times in 202 Posts
We first moved into our starter home in 1996. A year later, I went to our detached garage early one morning to get my Cannondale to ride to work, and discovered the big garage door wide open. My C-dale was still there, but my and my wife's Trek (2120/1220) had been taken. We were first time homeowners and didn't have a clue as to how the thieves gained access. The police explained the most likely scenario.

Turns out the previous homeowner had left the garage door opener on its default codes. Thief had probably driven through the neighborhood with a default remote and clicked like crazy to see what opened. We learned that one the hard way.

This may sound extreme, but I always recommend storing bikes in the house rather than detached garage. Makes the thief take the chance that someone will be home, and that changes the stakes from burglary to robbery. It's much easier to break into a detached garage than you might think, and the chances of coming across the homeowner at odd hours are slim at best. I am truly sorry for your loss.
Old 04-25-17, 11:19 PM
Ferocitas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is only further solidifying the need for bike insurance for me. I have homeowners, but a policy on a bike isn't that expensive so if something happens outside my property it's covered.
Old 04-26-17, 10:35 PM
supremekp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wow... moving to san diego and concerned. thanks for the heads up
Old 05-06-17, 08:48 PM
IWK

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Beautiful bikes man, sorry to hear it!
Old 06-02-17, 08:57 PM
Pukeskywalker

Bikes: '93 Cannondale T-1000, '03 Cannondale R800

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You may want to try posting the security footage and bike details on ******:

https://www.******.com/r/BikeSoCal/

Only 600 readers but it can't hurt
Old 07-20-17, 03:33 PM
Jaredn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They never caught the guys that hit our neighborhood around xmas last year, they hit multiple houses and stole a lot of items.

7+ months now no riding, finally bought a replacement bike. Missed the EM, so I picked up a used Titanium AX!