Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Mid-Range Cycling GPS: Lezyne Vs Sigma?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-17, 04:34 PM
FlatTyre

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey guys, I am getting back on the road after a while off and I want to get a mid range GPS computer. I do not need turn by turn directions, but I would like tracking and altitude that the GPS's provide along with the usual speed/cadence/heart rate. I am looking at the Lezyne Super Enhanced GPS and the Sigma Rox 10.0. I am able to find either of these without the sensors for around the $100 range, give or take. Did a search, found some reviews for both, but nothing that would really push me one way or another. Anyone with good/bad experiences with these two? Thanks!
Old 03-11-17, 05:15 PM
Slackerprince
Redefining Lazy

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Synapse 5 105, 2013 Giant Escape 3

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a Garmin Edge 500 and really like it.
Are you set on the 2 models you posted?

S
Old 03-11-17, 05:17 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
You won't find anything better than this for the price. $110 for HR + cadence

https://www.amazon.com/Magellan-CY03...ike%2Bgps&th=1
Old 03-11-17, 05:33 PM
zymphad

Bikes: Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 30 Posts
I'm thinking of Bryton 530C, but Lezyne has turn by turn, so... tough decision.

But with the above, now thinking Magellan may be the best for my needs.

Last edited by zymphad; 03-11-17 at 05:36 PM.
Old 03-11-17, 06:36 PM
FlatTyre

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Slackerprince
I use a Garmin Edge 500 and really like it.
Are you set on the 2 models you posted?

S
Not totally set on those two. The edge 500 seems to fit the bill too. I big reason why I chose those two is because of battery life. The edge 500 is older so i figured these other two might be a little bit better choice.

That Magellan model seems nice, but again, I worry about the battery life.
Old 03-11-17, 07:23 PM
Slackerprince
Redefining Lazy

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Synapse 5 105, 2013 Giant Escape 3

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FlatTyre
Not totally set on those two. The edge 500 seems to fit the bill too. I big reason why I chose those two is because of battery life. The edge 500 is older so i figured these other two might be a little bit better choice.

The Edge 500 barely goes through any juice.
I can't recommend it enough.
Plenty of reviews on YouTube to look at.
Shop around and you can find a deal.

S
Old 03-11-17, 07:30 PM
motosonic

Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

I've been looking too. Is there an issue with the Magellan's battery life? I was looking at the edge 520, but I dont really want to spend $300.
Old 03-11-17, 07:53 PM
FlatTyre

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by motosonic
I've been looking too. Is there an issue with the Magellan's battery life? I was looking at the edge 520, but I dont really want to spend $300.
Not that there is a problem, butfrom what I have seen, the more intricate color touch displays battery life are understandably shorter. The monochrome displays seem to have longer battery life. I just don't need the mapping/turn by turn features and I would prefer to not have to worry about charging after every single ride.

I'm guessing the edge 500, although older, still is on the same level, if not better than the two I was thinking about?
Old 03-11-17, 07:59 PM
motosonic

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Not that there is a problem, butfrom what I have seen, the more intricate color touch displays battery life are understandably shorter. The monochrome displays seem to have longer battery life. I just don't need the mapping/turn by turn features and I would prefer to not have to worry about charging after every single ride.

I'm guessing the edge 500, although older, still is on the same level, if not better than the two I was thinking about?
I'm looking at the Lezyne as well, and the review on DC rainmaker was pretty good. So I think for me it'll be between that and the edge 520. I personally think the cost of the 500 is too high for its age.
Old 03-11-17, 10:35 PM
IamNed

Bikes: 2014 Bianchi Sempre Pro, 1995 Bianchi Premio, 2014 Bianchi Pista Fixed Gear, 1994 Bianchi Timber Wolf

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

You're doing a great job of describing why I love my Polar M450.
Old 03-11-17, 10:59 PM
FlatTyre

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by IamNed
You're doing a great job of describing why I love my Polar M450.
Well now I can add the polar M450 to the mix. Thanks for the suggestion. Still tough to decide, I'm kind of ruling out the sigma so far.
Old 03-11-17, 11:11 PM
IamNed

Bikes: 2014 Bianchi Sempre Pro, 1995 Bianchi Premio, 2014 Bianchi Pista Fixed Gear, 1994 Bianchi Timber Wolf

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well now I can add the polar M450 to the mix. Thanks for the suggestion. Still tough to decide, I'm kind of ruling out the sigma so far.
The plethora of Garmins to choose from bothered me, and price. On the M450 after the ride I have all the route information I can desire. I have mine set with three active custom screens, but usually stay on screen one. First screen shows "Speed, Cadence, Heartrate, Distance", second screen shows "Max Speed, Max Cadence, Max HR, Duration (time), third screen shows "Avg Speed, Avg Cadence, Avg HR, Calories".

Dang, I'm sounding like an advertisement. I looked at a lot of options including Lezyne and Sigma. Very pleased with my choice.
Old 03-12-17, 06:21 AM
motosonic

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by IamNed
The plethora of Garmins to choose from bothered me, and price. On the M450 after the ride I have all the route information I can desire. I have mine set with three active custom screens, but usually stay on screen one. First screen shows "Speed, Cadence, Heartrate, Distance", second screen shows "Max Speed, Max Cadence, Max HR, Duration (time), third screen shows "Avg Speed, Avg Cadence, Avg HR, Calories".

Dang, I'm sounding like an advertisement. I looked at a lot of options including Lezyne and Sigma. Very pleased with my choice.
Didn't even know about this one either.
Are there different mounts available for the Polar M450? I'd like one of the 'out front' style mounts because I don't have a lot of real estate available in the cockpit.. lol My quad lock with phone takes up the stem.