Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Why did my freewheel explode?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-17, 12:21 PM
valleyrider

Bikes: 2014 Trek Crossrip Elite, *mart Mongoose XR-150

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey all. My wife was wanting to give mountain biking a try but we don't have enough money for a new mountain bike, so I got out the first one I bought to commute on (a $20 walmart mongoose full suspension heavy-as craigslist find) and fixed it up for her to try until we can afford something. I took the freewheel off to repack the rear hub when I was doing that, and it worked for a few months but I took it out for a spin the other day and suddenly my chain got thrown when I was soft pedaling. I looked down and the bearings from the freewheel were just dropping out onto the ground. I checked it out and the ratcheting mechanism came apart (see attached pictures). It sort of looks like it screwed on some way or another, but I'm not sure.

My big question is: Did I do something wrong when I put it back together or is this just what happens with cheap stuff?

Thanks. Here are some pictoors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
0317171402a.jpg (99.1 KB, 165 views)
0317171403.jpg (98.4 KB, 166 views)
0317171404a.jpg (98.0 KB, 166 views)
0317171404.jpg (97.6 KB, 164 views)
0317171403a.jpg (98.3 KB, 165 views)
Old 03-17-17, 12:56 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Liked 1,418 Times in 968 Posts
Cheap stuff.
Old 03-17-17, 01:32 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Liked 4,537 Times in 2,522 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Cheap stuff.
No, not cheap stuff. Operator error. The lock ring on freewheels can occasionally come loose. It happens.

On the plus side, freewheels aren't too expensive.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 03-17-17, 01:38 PM
SkyDog75

Bikes: Bianchi San Mateo and a few others

Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by valleyrider
I took the freewheel off to repack the rear hub... Did I do something wrong when I put it back together or is this just what happens with cheap stuff?
I can't say I've ever personally seen one spontaneously come apart. Shimano freewheels, even the cheap ones, are reasonably well-built.

Like Stuart pointed out, it looks like the lockring came off. When you took the freewheel off and put it back on, did you use a splined tool like a Park Tool FR-1.2 to remove it? (In other words, you didn't remove the lockring, did you?)
Old 03-17-17, 01:58 PM
valleyrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SkyDog75
Like Stuart pointed out, it looks like the lockring came off. When you took the freewheel off and put it back on, did you use a splined tool like a Park Tool FR-1.2 to remove it? (In other words, you didn't remove the lockring, did you?)

That is the exact tool I used. If I remember correctly, though, I might have tried to remove the lockring before breaking down and buying the correct tool. I probably loosened it up then and it just finally came apart. Thanks for the info, I will not touch the lockring on my new freewheel!

Cheers, ya'll.
Old 03-17-17, 02:31 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Liked 697 Times in 399 Posts
The lock ring has a left hand thread to prevent unscrewing during coasting. Hard to imagine removing or loosening it by mistake as it usually requires a pin punch and hammer. Driving it clockwise loosens and removes it.
Coasting tends to have a tightening effect, but shims prevent over tightening.
Old 03-17-17, 04:04 PM
valleyrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
Hard to imagine removing or loosening it by mistake as it usually requires a pin punch and hammer.
Yeah, I'm remembering now that I was just going to trash it and get a new one so I was hammering on it, then changed my mind and decided to keep it before I got it off. I'm going to assume that's what did it.
Old 03-17-17, 04:12 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Liked 4,537 Times in 2,522 Posts
Originally Posted by valleyrider
Yeah, I'm remembering now that I was just going to trash it and get a new one so I was hammering on it, then changed my mind and decided to keep it before I got it off. I'm going to assume that's what did it.
That'll do it. On the other hand, I have had the lockring loosen on a couple of freewheels ages ago. Still carry a 16 penny nail for just that reason but I don't use freewheels anymore. The 16 penny nail and a rock does make an effective punch, however.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 03-17-17, 07:52 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Liked 4,188 Times in 2,471 Posts
Agreed that the threaded race (and not a lock ring) came loose. These things do happen every so often though not the usual problem with freewheels. Unless the OP messed with the threaded race I won't blame him. being so rare a problem even experienced guys wouldn't have thought to check the race's tightness. Andy.
Old 03-20-17, 12:18 PM
OceansBlue

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most likely because of the material used to manufacture it
Old 03-20-17, 01:20 PM
GuyWood

Bikes: 1992 Dave Yates Diabolo MTB, Steel winter roadie upgraded to full 11 speed 105 and Hunt wheels. 2016 Giant Defy Advanced two with Hunt wheels.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
...and please remember forum etiquette: It didn't explode, it ass-ploded.