Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Best way to safely avoid pedestrians on shared path?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Best way to safely avoid pedestrians on shared path?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-17, 08:59 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Many times those bike symbols with arrows are there to help less informed cyclists understand which side of the path they should be on, such as riding to the right in countries that drive on the right. The presence of a bike symbol does not prohibit its use by pedestrians.
Old 03-27-17, 09:43 AM
DunderXIII

Bikes: Marinoni Piuma, Tricross Elite, Tricross Sport (*R.I.P), Mikado DeChamplain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In Quebec if it has the diamond in front of the bike it means its a restricted bike lane. You can't walk on it for fun, its bikes only. But paths on bridges are rarely restricted and are most often multi-user. That's when learning the "shove as you pass" move gets in handy (kidding!)

People that walk on restricted bike lanes **** me off. But what can I do? I just live with it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond_lane

Old 03-27-17, 10:55 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
I find that wearing bright colors and using some bright flashing lights makes it harder for pedestrians to see me and generally pull to the far right and stop when I encounter an oblivious pedestrian. When they do notice me they usually have a look on their face of "how did I miss seeing him".
Old 03-27-17, 11:04 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Liked 2,641 Times in 1,534 Posts
I watch everyone I can watch, and I try to predict how each person is going to behave. If I think they're going to do something dumb, I slow down as if they are toddlers. It can be good to ring my bell from a distance so they're not startled as I pass.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-27-17, 11:08 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Liked 593 Times in 448 Posts
Safely?
  1. Go an appropriate speed for conditions. Conditions including the type/speed of impediments around me, of course, and that includes pedestrians, dogs, whatever.
  2. Use a bell, something clearly part of a moving vehicle. Combined with "passing on your left" it seems to work reasonably well.
  3. Of course, these days, lots of folks have their headphones on and their synapses otherwise engaged, and so occasionally it's clear that no amount of noise is going to grab their attention.

Which brings me back to technique #1 above, again.
Old 03-27-17, 11:13 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Liked 3,110 Times in 1,418 Posts
What FBinNY said.
Old 03-27-17, 11:17 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Liked 2,116 Times in 1,379 Posts
If I think it's going to be a tight space or a problem, I call out "Hello hello!" and slow down if needed. There's one particular spot on my ride where there's often anglers walking down the same hill I'm riding, and though I'd like to go fast, I definitely don't want a pole in my spokes and hook in my eye from a startled reaction, and they have a perfect right to be there too.

Like I've said in other places, when I've had a bell, I typically forget I have it until the moment is past.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 03-27-17, 12:10 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
Being courteous and riding slowly , and a ding with your bell seems civil,
and has worked for decades at home and on tours,

Just had one admonishment, in England "The pavements are for people and their dogs"

Pavement being british for sidewalk..

Old 03-27-17, 01:30 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Originally Posted by DunderXIII
In Quebec if it has the diamond in front of the bike it means its a restricted bike lane. You can't walk on it for fun, its bikes only. But paths on bridges are rarely restricted and are most often multi-user. That's when learning the "shove as you pass" move gets in handy (kidding!)

People that walk on restricted bike lanes **** me off. But what can I do? I just live with it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond_lane

I've never seen such a sign. Is that only in Canada? I don't think that's a MUTCD official regulatory sign.
Old 03-27-17, 01:38 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Ride at an appropriate speed, loud bike bell too. Big fan of bell when I'm back a bit, and then a loudly " passing left" or "passing right" for whatever is correct for your path.
Old 03-27-17, 01:59 PM
mb2112

Bikes: Road Bike, Mountain Bike, Commuter Bike, Gravel bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Then there's this:
Old 03-27-17, 02:11 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
The other thing I do when I'm on a MUP in the forest preserve and encounter people fixated on their phones in my path is to say "please pay attention". It usually has the desired effect of getting them to look up from their phone without becoming enraged at me.
Old 03-27-17, 02:29 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Liked 2,101 Times in 1,152 Posts
Riding along with a fellow commuter, we were sharing stories of bike/ped encounters. His strategy was not to telegraph his next move because they will block you. Funny but it kinda works. Of course, slow down and give them room when they are obviously flopping around like a fish on the riverbank. The annoying ones are those that walk/run right down the middle. wtf?
Old 03-27-17, 03:53 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
First, let mother nature clear the path for you. Ride in the rain.

You already know that bells don't work for people wearing headphones. But Airzounds or loud horns might give the impression you're just a road rager. So use your voice and yell out "BIKE!" and let them decide to go right or left.

If still no response, ride pass them (carefully) while sounding your horn.
Old 03-27-17, 07:05 PM
DunderXIII

Bikes: Marinoni Piuma, Tricross Elite, Tricross Sport (*R.I.P), Mikado DeChamplain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
I've never seen such a sign. Is that only in Canada? I don't think that's a MUTCD official regulatory sign.
I don't know, the wikipedia link says US & Canada. Here it's everywhere; restricted bike lanes, restricted bus lanes, restricted car-pool-lane, restricted bus lane, restricted bus&bike lane, alouette!
Old 03-27-17, 07:51 PM
jon c. 

Liked 1,027 Times in 576 Posts
If you encounter pedestrians blocking the path on a bridge, its most effective to just shove them off the bridge.
Solving the problem one pedestrian at a time. It's a slow process, but if we all work together success can be realized.
Old 03-27-17, 08:27 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
I simply remind myself not to judge or resent pedestrians. Like me, they simply want to enjoy the day and get wherever their going.

So the basic rules of the road apply. First come first served, and the passing vehicle is responsible for doing so safely.

Depending on the situation, I'll either announce myself as fair warning, or not, and do what's needed to pass safely. That usually means lower speeds when near or among pedestrians, and I accept it as part of the game. If a given path is generally crowded enough to be annoying, I find a less crowded place to ride.
YES! its so simple, why is there any question about it?

And lets not forget, time management is an important bike commuting skill.
Old 03-27-17, 09:06 PM
johngwheeler

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Being courteous and riding slowly , and a ding with your bell seems civil,
and has worked for decades at home and on tours,

Just had one admonishment, in England "The pavements are for people and their dogs"

Pavement being british for sidewalk..

This was possibly justified, depending on whether the path was clearly labelled as shared MUP or not - although even then you might find some people fundamentally object to bikes being ridden on the same path! Generally, they are just frightened by the thought of a 30kph bike going past them or their dogs/children , an arms length away.

In many Australian states (but not all), it is illegal to ride on the pedestrain pavement/sidewalk unless you are under 12yo, or an adult accompanying a child on a bike. This is why lots of previously ped-only paths are now MUPs, to encourage bike commuting. Some of them are clearly after-thoughts and not very wide.
Old 03-27-17, 09:14 PM
johngwheeler

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mb2112
Then there's this: https://youtu.be/Ehh8ZdIMMj4
That was hilarious! But I'd also be pretty frustrated if there was a dedicated bike lane (as this seemed to be) with such a mass of people in it. In which city was this filmed?

At least my ride into Sydney is nothing like this - I may have to avoid maybe 20-30 people in my whole 14km ride. This poor guy had about 300 people to dodge only going about 500m by the looks of it....
Old 03-27-17, 09:14 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Liked 2,962 Times in 1,642 Posts
IMO the key to riding on shared paths is very simple.

Keep this thought at the front of your mind at all times. ------ Bicycles are to pedestrians as cars are to bicycles.

So, as you ride, think about how you want motorists to treat you, and let that guide how you treat pedestrians. If at any time, you find yourself annoyed by pedestrians who get in your way, slow you down, or act erratically, remember how you feel about drivers who think this way.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 03-27-17, 09:28 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Liked 2,962 Times in 1,642 Posts
Originally Posted by mb2112
Then there's this: https://youtu.be/Ehh8ZdIMMj4
Needs orchestration.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 03-27-17, 10:03 PM
Joe Minton

Bikes: Gary Fisher Hi-Fi Deluxe, Giant Stance, Cannondale Synapse, Diamondback 8sp IGH, 1989 Merckx

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Much good advice above.

However, when I encounter someone with their cell phone in their ear, their iPod buds in ears, who are texting while they are on and usually obstructing a MUP (perhaps with their 'leashed' puppy stretching across the way, I sharply yell "HEY!" (I can yell really loud) and then pass them while they are recovering. I once had a woman drop her cell phone in reaction.

I am courteous and slow when approaching other folks, but --- I have no patience with thoughtless, selfish people.

Joe
Old 03-27-17, 11:28 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Liked 2,807 Times in 1,803 Posts
I've begun using bells that ring continuously while riding the local multi-use path. Just a couple of holiday jingle bells of different sizes and pitches that ring against my bike's top tube (which itself emits a slight ringing tone due to the thin tubing and oval shape).

I don't need to choose when to ring the bell, unless the pavement is so smooth it doesn't jostle the bells enough. Then I'll slap or jostle the bells, depending on how urgent the situation is.

I've been experimenting with this for several weeks, after seeing demo videos for a few different mountain bike trail bells that ring continuously.

In practice most pedestrians and joggers do notice the fairly gentle continuous jingling and move over, nudging their partners, kids, etc. It seems to give them plenty of time so nobody is rushed.

Of the dozens of people I've seen respond to the continuously ringing bells I've heard only two comments that could be interpreted as complaints -- mostly along the lines of "What the heck was that?" or "I wondered what the heck that noise was!" But in both cases the person was speaking to his/her walking/jogging partner, not to me.

The only times it hasn't worked was with pedestrians and cyclists who use ear buds and drown out external sounds. To cut through their aural buffer zones I'd need a bell so loud it would be disturbing to most folks. So I just watch for folks with ear buds and give them more room or slow down and pass more carefully.

Overall I'd call it successful. I wanted to experiment before buying a continuous trail bell because some of them are pricey ($20-$40). Or I may still use my own and experiment a bit more with three bells of different pitches and a more convenient way to disable the bells when I'm not on the MUP.
Old 03-28-17, 06:01 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by no motor?
The other thing I do when I'm on a MUP in the forest preserve and encounter people fixated on their phones in my path is to say "please pay attention". It usually has the desired effect of getting them to look up from their phone without becoming enraged at me.

that is a good idea
I like that phrase.
Old 03-28-17, 07:49 AM
PatrickGSR94

I don't know, the wikipedia link says US & Canada. Here it's everywhere; restricted bike lanes, restricted bus lanes, restricted car-pool-lane, restricted bus lane, restricted bus&bike lane, alouette!
Yeah I've seen the diamond symbol for restricted use lanes on interstates, and possibly for bus lanes, but never for referring to a bike lane. I don't believe it's a standard MUTCD-approved regulatory sign in the US. But I had someone else tell me that they're all over Canada.

So what happens if pedestrians use that "bike only" lane? Are they ticketed by police?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.