Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Who does ALL their own maintenance?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway
View Poll Results: Who does your bike maintenance?
I do all of my own maintenance
57.32%
I use the LBS for very limited things like truing wheels, etc.
37.80%
I use the LBS for all maintenance needs
4.88%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-17, 10:37 AM
JBerman

Bikes: Guru Evolo-R

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just curious who does their own maintenance vs those who rely on the LBS for everything. Growing up, my dad was really big into cycling yet he went to the LBS for literally everything, even slight adjustments.
Old 04-03-17, 10:41 AM
Seizedpost
Bench vise user

Bikes: 2004 Orbea Marmaloda, 1982 S12-S LTD, 1956? Maino, 1985 Sagres

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do all my own maintenance, but maybe there should be a fourth option for people who oil their own chains and go to the LBS for cable adjustment?
Old 04-03-17, 10:44 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
I ride steel bikes with downtube shiftes, both friction and index, and do all of my own maintenance. I even prefer to build my own wheels.

Old 04-03-17, 10:48 AM
JBerman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Seizedpost
I do all my own maintenance, but maybe there should be a fourth option for people who oil their own chains and go to the LBS for cable adjustment?
I guess I didn't think that some people might not lube their own chain. But I know a LOT of people probably take advantage of the LBS doing 30 day/6 month/annual tune ups (my dad loved them) or go to them when things are out of adjustment vs those who really just do things themselves. I do pretty much everything except for truing wheels.
Old 04-03-17, 10:57 AM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Liked 331 Times in 191 Posts
I have lbs do wheel truing if it is bad . Some of the times I can get wheels true some times they go the other way. . I have got to the point where I know to leave it alone ,and take it to shop before I totally screw it up
Old 04-03-17, 11:13 AM
zymphad

Bikes: Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike

Liked 52 Times in 30 Posts
I do all of my maintenance, I don't do wheels. I'll just buy new wheel if it's f'd.
Old 04-03-17, 11:14 AM
indyfabz

Liked 16,219 Times in 7,616 Posts
This poll is missing something like "I use a LBS for most maintenance jobs but do some jobs myself." No to very rarely to always leaves too much uncovered.
Old 04-03-17, 11:21 AM
topflightpro

Liked 680 Times in 431 Posts
I do most maintenance myself. I go to the LBS for things where the frequency of the maintenance does not justify the cost for purchasing the tools, such as pressing BB bearings or cutting steer tubes. I do it so infrequently, I really cannot justify purchasing the tools to do it.
Old 04-03-17, 11:24 AM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
You should be able to do most of the maintenance. You don't need that many special tools for the more common stuff. I also leave wheel building and frameset stuff requiring special tools (alignment, BB thread chasing/refacing, carbon fork cutting, etc) for the LBS. You just buy the special tools as you need them. Last season, I got a Park DAG-2 derailleur hanger alignment gague. Stuff like that you can leave for the LBS until you feel adventurous enough.
Old 04-03-17, 11:28 AM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Liked 375 Times in 256 Posts
I use the LBS more and more. For time mainly. I do the trick / weird stuff (Cables). I have them do bearings and bend RD hangers.

Last edited by Doge; 04-03-17 at 05:11 PM.
Old 04-03-17, 11:29 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Liked 9,227 Times in 4,277 Posts
I do all my own except need help with wheelbuild/truing and also pressing in headset races.
Old 04-03-17, 11:31 AM
JBerman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
This poll is missing something like "I use a LBS for most maintenance jobs but do some jobs myself." No to very rarely to always leaves too much uncovered.
Yea prob should have had that.. Too late now
Old 04-03-17, 11:44 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Liked 410 Times in 236 Posts
When I was doing my initial upgrade of my bike I had to invest in all these specialty tools, so it makes sense now to do my own maintenance. Even go a truing stand, but haven't had to use it much. I don't bother with some of the more esoteric items, and thus far haven't run into issues that I can't resolve.

For me it's also a time thing. I save more time doing it myself rather than going to the LBS. It's not far away, but it's the hassle of packing up the bike and driving over, and then doing the same thing a day or two later to pick up.
Old 04-03-17, 01:25 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Liked 187 Times in 123 Posts
I build everything except the frame. The LBS sell bikes with press fit BB. All the mechanics I know avoid them and it is a bike not the space shuttle.
Old 04-03-17, 02:23 PM
Flounce

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm learning and like to splurge on bike tools. I've re wrapped handlebar tape, swapped out stems, changed chainrings to compact, grease speed play pedals, disassemble cup and cone hubs to service, true wheels on truing stand, disassemble cassette for deep cleaning. I've only serviced bottom bracket once and need experience with that. I've never re-routed cables, straightened rear derailleur hanger, adjusted speedplay cleats, or adjusted derailleurs' position on bike (only adjusted shifting), so I look forward to those.
Old 04-03-17, 02:28 PM
redfooj
pluralis majestatis

Bikes: a DuhRosa

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Had a shop swap a cassette and bottom once since I didn't want to buy the associated tools.

Had them swap a 10sp to 11sp groupset last year again because of the tooling thing.

Over the winter finally grabbed all the tools and assembled a (threaded bb) bike fully from the ground up.

Wheels came built so that might be next.
Old 04-03-17, 02:29 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Liked 4,805 Times in 2,190 Posts
Little bit of trivia here. I started working on bikes in the early '80s and acquired tools for everything including BB and HS, numerous cone wrenches and pullers. With modern bikes, some of the tools became more or less obsolete.

Then, I bought a late '70s Italian bike, all Campy NR, and had to dig out all of these old tools to work on it. I'd forgotten that I even owned some of them.

Anyway, back then, I did everything from pressing races to building my own wheels and never thought a thing about it. Now, I find myself using the shop more than I ever did back then.

Old 04-03-17, 02:42 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Liked 2,434 Times in 1,187 Posts
I do 96%. I haven't done bottom brackets or hubs.
Old 04-03-17, 02:46 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
About 10 years ago, a car physically ran me into a deep ditch. Bent the derailleur hanger. The bike got me home, but shifting was worse than sketchy. I took the bike to the best LBS in the area for repairs. When I paid the bill and got the bike back, the shifting was a LOT WORSE than sketchy.

I have done everything myself for ten years -- and, to be honest, did over 95% of my own work before that. In the last 10 years, I have allowed the LBS (the owner of the shop) to assemble one new bike. Everything else and assembly of all the other new bikes has been done in my garage. The reasons?

1. I do better work than all but the owner of the LBS -- and he doesn't do much work on bikes anymore.

2. I enjoy it.
Old 04-03-17, 03:34 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
I do everything myself. Built my last two pairs of wheels as well.

No time or money for an lbs to do something worse than I could do on my own.
Old 04-03-17, 03:54 PM
edawg55

Bikes: Raleigh Merit 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just started cycling last year. I need to learn how to do maintenance but busy taking care of both my parents (health issues) so not much time with work and all. I have a bike mechanic that works on the side. As of now I'm happy that I'm back working out since I had my own health issues. Actually still do but not that bad.
Old 04-03-17, 05:00 PM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Liked 180 Times in 111 Posts
I will never let a LBS touch my bike again. I was a slow learner but not stupid. I do trust the wheel builders I have dealt with however.
Old 04-03-17, 05:01 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Liked 959 Times in 613 Posts
All me until it comes to a point that I don't have the tool or machine.
Old 04-03-17, 05:11 PM
rico_mack

Bikes: 2001 Litespeed Arenburg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also do everything with the exception of pressed in headsets. I did do that once without the proper tools and that worked out fine. But I won't do it with the current frames I have. I truly love working on my bikes - always have.
Old 04-03-17, 06:00 PM
silversx80

Bikes: Lynskey R240, 2013 CAAD10

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Everything with the exception of forming raw materials into bicycle-like shapes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.