Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

So are the days of our lives...

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

So are the days of our lives...

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-17, 11:29 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
That feeling you get when you find out the reason your students have been sending you beautiful experimental results as they burn through hundreds of dollars of reagents is due to the fact that they didn't use a negative control and all that data is worthless...
Sounds almost as nice as the feeling you get when one of your third graders writes you an "f.u." note.

Though a day later I found out it was written by another student in an attempt to get the first student in trouble... I think I prefer an angry student cussing me out than one that plans "elaborate" attempts at setting up another student she doesn't like. A bit scared to think what she may do I piss her off. Some con jobs going on around here.
Old 04-13-17, 01:17 PM
topflightpro

Liked 680 Times in 431 Posts
I just passed a woman in the break room at work. Her dress had been caught on her purse and pulled up quite a bit. I didn't know if I should say something. On the one hand, saying something seems like the polite thing to do. But on the other, I didn't want to be accused or perceived of harassing her. I ended up not saying anything.
Old 04-13-17, 03:34 PM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That feeling you get when you find out the reason your students have been sending you beautiful experimental results as they burn through hundreds of dollars of reagents is due to the fact that they didn't use a negative control and all that data is worthless...
who here among us can't directly relate to this?

Old 04-13-17, 04:10 PM
grolby

Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Oh man. That's brutal.
Old 04-13-17, 06:02 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
my kids turned 1

I'll never say anything because I didn't want to do it, but we now have a complete set of 12 monthly, grainy, and backlit pictures on that chair.

Old 04-13-17, 07:41 PM
johnybutts

Bikes: Type of horse.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I remember my time in academia - never again.
Old 04-13-17, 08:49 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Liked 3,485 Times in 1,827 Posts
cute kids [MENTION=125938]Ygduf[/MENTION]
Old 04-13-17, 08:54 PM
scheibo
once a runner

Bikes: n+1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
my kids turned 1
only 17 more years until freedom! (that's kind of cruel, i think people with life sentences get parole earlier than that...)
Old 04-13-17, 09:00 PM
himespau 

Liked 3,013 Times in 1,854 Posts
Originally Posted by johnybutts
I remember my time in academia - never again.
Yeah, my job future relying on how well 19-22 year olds follow instructions? I'd just rather say **** it and do it myself. I'd get it done faster and more accurately. I need to figure out how to gradually give up control and empower them to think for themselves...after I figure out how to fire this batch of them though (it's not just this, the entire year they've been flaky and not showing any initiative and not really doing anything unless I told them 3 times, and even then they don't bother to read to follow simple directions). I'm not paying them, so firing them should be easy, but I haven't ever had to do it before. I've always been the nice guy... and that's part of the problem. Need to figure out a new management style. The thing is, I love getting in a classroom and teaching, or I'd be right there with you finding a way to do similar stuff for an employer other than the state government who doesn't believe in what I do and just keeps me around because, "well, we have to have a university, right, even if we don't really want to fund them."
Old 04-13-17, 09:01 PM
himespau 

my kids turned 1

I'll never say anything because I didn't want to do it, but we now have a complete set of 12 monthly, grainy, and backlit pictures on that chair.
Awesome. Congrats. Now that chair will be permanently part of your memories.
Old 04-14-17, 06:32 AM
topflightpro

Isn't the semester over in a couple weeks? Won't your issue with those students just rectify itself?
Old 04-14-17, 07:10 AM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
Toyota Corolla's are awful. Ive had to drive one for the past 3 weeks while my car is fixed in the body shop.
Old 04-14-17, 08:05 AM
himespau 

Originally Posted by topflightpro
Isn't the semester over in a couple weeks? Won't your issue with those students just rectify itself?
Most students do research over the course of several semesters to get a good letter of recommendation to medical/professional school. Also, it takes me a couple of months to get them trained, and I want them there for long enough to make that investment worth my time. I tend to have them make a commitment for a whole year (not that I enforce it unless they are taking it for credit). One of my current students has given me the impression he expects to take research for credit for the rest of his time at the university and use that to fill out his electives because it's easier than classes worth the same number of credits. It's only easier because he doesn't come in as often as he's supposed to and doesn't think about the project (outside of the lab or while he's doing the experiments - needs hand holding every step of the way and needs explicitly written down instructions that he apparently doesn't follow). I think I've become too much "friend" and not enough "boss" because one of my most recent bosses was a major ******* that everyone hated and I've overcorrected too far the other way.
Old 04-14-17, 08:07 AM
himespau 

Originally Posted by Wylde06
Toyota Corolla's are awful. Ive had to drive one for the past 3 weeks while my car is fixed in the body shop.
What's awful? Power, accessories, room? I've always had decent opinions of them without ever having sat in one because the seem to last forever (at least the ones from the 90's did).
Old 04-14-17, 08:17 AM
topflightpro

If the Corolla is anything like my wife's 2010 Prius that we just got rid of, it has terrible acceleration, handling is atrocious, it steers like a boat, road noise is deafening, and everything rattles.
Old 04-14-17, 08:18 AM
Wylde06

What's awful? Power, accessories, room? I've always had decent opinions of them without ever having sat in one because the seem to last forever (at least the ones from the 90's did).

Everything. I drive a 2017 Nissan Maxima, so having to drive a Toyota Corolla right now is like driving a go cart compared to my Maxima
Old 04-14-17, 08:19 AM
Wylde06

Originally Posted by topflightpro
If the Corolla is anything like my wife's 2010 Prius that we just got rid of, it has terrible acceleration, handling is atrocious, it steers like a boat, road noise is deafening, and everything rattles.

I wouldn't say it steers like a boat, but it definitely doesn't feel grounded
Old 04-14-17, 08:36 AM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
carollas are boring, as all cars should be. safer that way.
Old 04-14-17, 09:31 AM
miyata man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my kids turned 1

Happy Belated Birthday to your twins.

I didn't want to be the cause célèbre in a second thread yesterday.

Originally Posted by Wylde06
I wouldn't say it steers like a boat, but it definitely doesn't feel grounded
Old 04-14-17, 12:27 PM
big john

Liked 9,457 Times in 4,642 Posts
Probably would be safer out there if people didn't have street legal race cars, or at least have the idea that they are
race car drivers.
We sell that 650 horsepower Corvette and when I drive one, I think about how much trouble one could get into.
I wonder why guys want these things.
Old 04-14-17, 12:42 PM
topflightpro

Originally Posted by big john
Probably would be safer out there if people didn't have street legal race cars, or at least have the idea that they are
race car drivers.
We sell that 650 horsepower Corvette and when I drive one, I think about how much trouble one could get into.
Old 04-14-17, 05:07 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Liked 87 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
race car drivers.
650 is insane.. I have an RX7 that at full boost puts down about 320rwhp..it's plenty for me even on the track.
Old 04-14-17, 06:55 PM
grolby

What's awful? It's like driving a bar of soap, that's what.
Old 04-14-17, 06:58 PM
grolby

A car can be slow without being boring. We have a Honda Fit. It's definitely slow. Not nearly as boring and floaty and rolly-poly as a Corolla.
Old 04-14-17, 07:51 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by spdntrxi
650 is insane.. I have an RX7 that at full boost puts down about 320rwhp..it's plenty for me even on the track.
Yeah, the power on some cars these days is insane. I've got 300 to the front wheels and that's plenty enough to get in trouble with.

I drove a brand new basically Kia Forte last week for work and I kinda liked it. Seats sucked and the plastic steering wheel sucked, but it was a rental special, so no options. Amazing gas mileage.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.