Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

It is a PITA

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

It is a PITA

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-17, 04:12 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Liked 187 Times in 123 Posts
It is a PITA

Ok now it is April and not so cold but here in Illinois but the wind is nuts. It looks like all week next week 15-25 mph winds and today they are gusting to 30. I tell you I would much rather put on my gloves, gortex, and running pants and ride with much less wind and it be 35 degrees. I will take cold over wind any day.

Ok I have my complaint for today. I think I will stick to the running shoes until this passes. I may even opt for the treadmill to avoid the wind running. It slowed me today running into it............no bike.
Old 04-09-17, 04:20 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Liked 272 Times in 160 Posts
days like that are gym days for me
Old 04-09-17, 04:30 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Liked 601 Times in 314 Posts
Windy up here on the 45th of northern Michigan....but it's a knockout 78deg right now.
Old 04-09-17, 04:31 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Liked 3,612 Times in 2,360 Posts
any trails thru the woods? someone recommend that to me last fall & trees help a great deal
Old 04-09-17, 04:32 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Liked 2,962 Times in 1,642 Posts
Pack up a change of clothes and your credit card and just ride down wind until it changes. It might bring you full circle and back home in a week or so, or if you run out of continent, you can fly home.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 04-09-17, 09:27 PM
oldpuck81

Bikes: 2008 Motobecane Immortal Spirit, Motobecane HAL6 Expert & Fantom 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm here in Dallas, TX where we get our share of wind. The way I look at it, wind will make you stronger. So on a windy day where you would otherwise stay indoors and be a girlyman, go out and ride straight into the wind, with the idea in mind that you are going to fight until you can't fight anymore. Dont' worry if you only go 5, 10, 15... miles, let the wind be your enemy. Then turn around, hoist the spinnaker and haul a$$ back to the house. The ride into the wind will probably take double the effort and it will make you stronger in less time than on a calm day.
Old 04-09-17, 09:46 PM
doctor j

Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Here's an alternative for those windy days... get a friend or your significant other to drive you and your bike "X" number of miles into the wind and drop you off. Ride back one way with the tail wind of your life.

I did that last year. My wife drove me about 30 miles down the road. I rode back, and at the end of the ride, my average was a little over 21 mph on my heavy bike. It was a blast.

And, for an editorial comment, I wish the weather dudes who call those days "breezy" would have to ride a bicycle INTO 20 or 30 miles of "breezy". I think they'd use a new adjective to describe those conditions.
Old 04-09-17, 09:46 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Liked 3,080 Times in 1,903 Posts
Plenty of wind up here in Minnesota. The first 15 miles of Saturday's ride was straight into a steady 20 MPH wind (plus gusts). And it was on gravel. Later there was a solid 10 miles of even greater cross winds. There were times on dicy gravel descents when those cross winds challenged my (limited) technical skills.

Just remember, the wind is ALWAYS your friend. It's just a friend that doles out more than its share of tough love.
Old 04-09-17, 09:54 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Liked 246 Times in 182 Posts
Htfu
Old 04-09-17, 09:55 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Liked 3,080 Times in 1,903 Posts
Originally Posted by doctor j
Here's an alternative for those windy days... get a friend or your significant other to drive you and your bike "X" number of miles into the wind and drop you off. Ride back one way with the tail wind of your life.

I did that last year. My wife drove me about 30 miles down the road. I rode back, and at the end of the ride, my average was a little over 21 mph on my heavy bike. It was a blast.
That's not my personal style, but I can see the appeal.

There are hammer heads around here (and surely everywhere else) who take advantage of very high wind days . Sample post from a couple of months ago on a local club page, "Anyone want to go segment hunting tomorrow? Up to 50 mile-an-hour gusts out of the west..." That's how those seemingly super-human Strava KOMs are done.
Old 04-10-17, 04:55 AM
Cyclist0084

Liked 353 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by doctor j

And, for an editorial comment, I wish the weather dudes who call those days "breezy" would have to ride a bicycle INTO 20 or 30 miles of "breezy". I think they'd use a new adjective to describe those conditions.
On a good day, my average is usually anywhere between 13mph to 14mph. I like your idea of having someone take me down the road so as to have a massive tailwind (yes, I'm a "wind wienie" LOL!!) and to hit a 21mph average, or more, coming home. I bet it surely would be a blast.

Old 04-10-17, 05:27 AM
churnman

Bikes: 1986 Specialized Allez SE "Jim Merz" edition, Trek 750

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
MUPs through wooded areas alleviate this problem.
Old 04-10-17, 05:52 AM
Baldy1953

Liked 30 Times in 18 Posts
It has been pretty wind here in North Florida recently also. I have found that if I get out early , it is usually at lesser speeds. Of course, there have been days that the wind is over 15 mph and it seems like it is going against me no matter what way I ride. It just likes to make the ride more challenging.

At least I can still get out and ride. That is the most important part.
Old 04-10-17, 08:07 AM
KenR

Bikes: 2017 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, 2005 Specialized Roubaix Elite, 2016 Trek 7.4FX hybrid

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Baldy1953
It has been pretty wind here in North Florida recently also. I have found that if I get out early , it is usually at lesser speeds. Of course, there have been days that the wind is over 15 mph and it seems like it is going against me no matter what way I ride. It just likes to make the ride more challenging.

At least I can still get out and ride. That is the most important part.
Yes, but a windy early spring day in Florida is different than a windy early spring day up north
Old 04-10-17, 09:57 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by deacon mark
Ok now it is April and not so cold but here in Illinois but the wind is nuts. It looks like all week next week 15-25 mph winds and today they are gusting to 30. I tell you I would much rather put on my gloves, gortex, and running pants and ride with much less wind and it be 35 degrees. I will take cold over wind any day.

Ok I have my complaint for today. I think I will stick to the running shoes until this passes. I may even opt for the treadmill to avoid the wind running. It slowed me today running into it............no bike.
Where in Illinois? It's been windy in Southern Illinois near St. Louis, but we keep riding anyway.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 04-10-17 at 10:49 AM.
Old 04-10-17, 11:21 AM
BassNotBass
master of bottom licks

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
All last week we here in the Lou had to put up with some pretty stiff winds and of course they were rarely tailwinds... how the hell does that work out? Even just standing at a stoplight was a challenge to keep from falling over. There were stretches where riding into the wind and maintaining 6mph felt like it took as much effort as maintaining 25mph on a normal day, it sucked royally but was a good workout.
Old 04-10-17, 11:51 AM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
I'd take cold and crisp but calm over windy any day of the week.
Old 04-10-17, 11:56 AM
Mr IGH
afraid of whales

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

The no-so-great-state of Ill. All the taxes of California, no view and crummy weather. I ditched paying for all those no-show jobs in 2013, since then the taxes on my Palatine house went from $13,000 per year to $21,000 per year. The Madigans have a lot of patrons to pay....

Went for a 25miler today, sunny and 50* on the Front Range, (and my property taxes are $900/yr )
Old 04-10-17, 11:00 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Liked 4,984 Times in 2,293 Posts
In the Spring, one of my alternative exercises for cycling is yardwork. Lot's of that to be done with the forest close by.
Old 04-11-17, 05:11 AM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Liked 372 Times in 258 Posts
I thought about commuting yesterday - but the forecast winds of '20-25, gusting to 35' promptly removed that thought from my mind. I'm old and out-of-shape as it is, so battling those kinds of winds on my first day of commuting for the year (12.5mi each way) was out of the question. BTW, it would have been almost a direct headwind on the commute home - in heavy rush hour traffic.
Old 04-14-17, 11:33 AM
gregLewis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pita

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
any trails thru the woods? someone recommend that to me last fall & trees help a great deal
Most of the trails are flooded as well.
Ever been to one of those "mystery places" where balls appear to roll uphill. Illinois is like that (in oh so many ways) - no matter which direction you ride, you have a headwind.
Old 04-14-17, 12:42 PM
wthensler 

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR 7, 2012 Giant Defy 0, 2012 Trek Domane 6.2 P1, Bianchi Infinito CV disc Di2

Liked 1,000 Times in 250 Posts
Another north central Floridian here. If you look in the "did you ride" section you will see virtually all of my posts referencing the very persistent windy conditions here since early Feb. It's my fourth year here, and I don't recall it ever this crazy windy.

I'm not a wind wimp, per se, and I do get out regardless, but it is psychologically wearing on me. 15+ mph most days, and mostly into the winds on the return. Worse yet, much of my riding is in open fields, so nowhere to take shelter. At least we can ride all winter long. Bring on the heat and humidity, already!

Last edited by wthensler; 04-14-17 at 12:54 PM.
Old 04-14-17, 12:55 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Liked 3,612 Times in 2,360 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
In the Spring, one of my alternative exercises for cycling is yardwork. Lot's of that to be done with the forest close by.
+1 & w late snow for us, we're behind schedule. did some raking last weekend. got some top soil & seed to put out
Old 04-14-17, 01:51 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts

Welcome to Florida! Except for the temperatures, the winds you're having now have been with us since mid November. It's been worse since the end of January, start of February.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 04-14-17, 01:59 PM
ypsetihw

Bikes: s-1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been having the same gripe for the last few weeks . . . then I tried Zwift yesterday - OMG I'm never gonna dread riding inside again, it's freaking awesome!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.