Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Good Bike in Trunk Car

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Good Bike in Trunk Car

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-17, 08:15 AM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Liked 372 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP
[MENTION=364302]Doge[/MENTION], have you considered a Miata?
Not into cults
Old 04-21-17, 08:18 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
Not into cults
Fair enough. Could you spare a few minutes to talk about Lord Xenu?
Old 04-21-17, 08:27 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Liked 9,202 Times in 4,262 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP
Fair enough. Could you spare a few minutes to talk about Lord Xenu?
Are you making yourself clear?
Old 04-21-17, 08:48 AM
himespau 

Liked 3,011 Times in 1,852 Posts
I like the idea of the new Kia Niro, but it probably handles like a Kia and is too tall for you. On the other hand, a crossover with a claimed 50 mpg sounds like it'd let you carry stuff and still fit people with decent mileage (and no added diesel tax).
Old 04-23-17, 06:45 PM
LiquorLad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Van or bicycle rack. Pick one.
Old 04-23-17, 07:42 PM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
All gasoline in the USA that I know of.
Nope, I sold a couple diesel ones.

Edit: They were sedans though. I can't actually say definitively they're made in wagon.
Old 04-23-17, 08:01 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by Abe_Froman

Edit: They were sedans though. I can't actually say definitively they're made in wagon.
My comment was the wagons were all gas. Auto Trader has 0 E class wagons in the country Diesel.

I have an E320 CDI - Diesel - already and I don't want to give it up even with 200K on it. It is at the point it will most likely cost more to keep than to get a new car and I have the spouse factor. So I am looking.
Wed am I'm going to drive from San Clemente to Grand Junction. 793 miles. I kinda think I could make it on one tank if I was light on the pedal (21gal X 40mpg). I'm not going to try as it is too close. But there are very few cars that that would even be a debate.
Old 04-23-17, 08:08 PM
Doge

What do you think of this?
Cars for Sale: Used 2012 Mercedes-Benz R350 BlueTEC 4MATIC for sale in Phoenix, AZ 85020: Wagon Details - 449387230 - Autotrader
Old 04-23-17, 08:11 PM
kydeadhead

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not sure you can convince your wife of this,but if it's been serviced regularly and hasn't had a bunch of short trips that don't get it warmed up properly,200K isn't that much for a diesel.
Old 04-23-17, 08:36 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by kydeadhead
Not sure you can convince your wife of this,but if it's been serviced regularly and hasn't had a bunch of short trips that don't get it warmed up properly,200K isn't that much for a diesel.
You are correct - on both accounts.
"Boring" is the issue. The engine is fine. It needs seat / interior work and the kids were rough on it. That R320 looks good. I can't figure out why the MPG is so bad on the R series.
Mine is in perfect running condition. However every other little thing from AC fan, water pump and belt adds up, and even the odd glow plug or injector seal leak - "small things" reminded me of what Benz maintenance can cost. I work at home and do 25-30K/year.
Old 04-23-17, 08:51 PM
nycphotography
NYC

Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
My sedan has a bit over 200K on it and time to get something new (1-2 years used) - says my wife. I wanted to go for 300K, but done with kid's college tuition so we have options now.
Best bike in trunk car is my Chrysler T&C.

Bikes travel upright along the left side, on bungie strap, 30 sec to load/unload. zero disassembly required.
Old 04-23-17, 09:40 PM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

R classes are really nice. Nicest minivan in the world, and I mean that in a good way. You might want to check out some CPO cars though to compare. You'll pay a bit of a premium, but MB usually has pretty good programs with them...longer warranty, APR, sometimes maintenance included or payments waived for a while.

I can do a short bit of research when I'm in the office tkmorrow if you like...check retail/auction prices on the car, run carfax if you like.
Old 04-23-17, 11:01 PM
gregf83 

Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
I can't figure out why the MPG is so bad on the R series.
Because it weighs 10,000 lbs. Beautiful car but a fuel hog.
Old 04-23-17, 11:27 PM
Doge

R classes are really nice. Nicest minivan in the world, and I mean that in a good way. You might want to check out some CPO cars though to compare. You'll pay a bit of a premium, but MB usually has pretty good programs with them...longer warranty, APR, sometimes maintenance included or payments waived for a while.

I can do a short bit of research when I'm in the office tkmorrow if you like...check retail/auction prices on the car, run carfax if you like.
Thank you very much, but not ready yet. The closest is 300 miles away. I think we will pull the trigger about June.
Old 04-24-17, 12:09 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Liked 4,079 Times in 2,641 Posts
I think Doge has better gas mileage in mind. It would keep the bikes very secure parked anywhere.
Old 04-24-17, 07:53 AM
blazin
Blazer of saddles, trails

Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
I like the idea of the new Kia Niro, but it probably handles like a Kia and is too tall for you. On the other hand, a crossover with a claimed 50 mpg sounds like it'd let you carry stuff and still fit people with decent mileage (and no added diesel tax).
My neighbor just got one of these. He also has a Subaru Outback. The Niro is both shorter than the Subie in both senses: less high and less long. I don't think you could get a single bike in there without putting down the rear seats, even with wheels off.
Old 04-24-17, 08:09 AM
himespau 

Originally Posted by blazin
My neighbor just got one of these. He also has a Subaru Outback. The Niro is both shorter than the Subie in both senses: less high and less long. I don't think you could get a single bike in there without putting down the rear seats, even with wheels off.
Good to know, I'd thought it was bigger than that. Oh well, I'm nowhere near the market myself at the moment.
Old 04-24-17, 08:24 AM
seypat

Liked 2,583 Times in 1,535 Posts
Not what you are looking for and not made anymore, the Mazda 5 is the most versatile vehicle I have ever owned. That includes the pickups I have had. I have 2 5s currently. It is a very good car for the high schooler or college kid. It needs more power, but still a hoot to drive. It is just a bigger version of the 3. A TD Mazda 6 wagon coming to the states is rumored to be out there. It hasn't shown up yet, though.

If you really want to haul bikes, I suggest a GM cargo van, the extended, long frame. I have/had numerous ones through the years. Like the one before it, the current one has nearly 200K on it with no problems yet. Get the 3500 with the 6 liter and a 3:73 rear end. It will get around 17+MPG on the highway if you keep your foot out of it. The Duramax diesel is available on the 3500 also. It rides a lot better than the 2500 pickups I had. I carried some 16ft. pieces of siding in it the other day and could still close the rear doors. That is room for a lot of bikes and support gear.

Last edited by seypat; 04-24-17 at 08:37 AM.
Old 04-24-17, 08:42 AM
Abe_Froman

Originally Posted by seypat
Not what you are looking for and not made anymore, the Mazda 5 is the most versatile vehicle I have ever owned. That includes the pickups I have had. I have 2 5s currently. It is a very good car for the high schooler or college kid. It needs more power, but still a hoot to drive. It is just a bigger version of the 3. A TD Mazda 6 wagon coming to the states is rumored to be out there. It hasn't shown up yet, though.

If you really want to haul bikes, I suggest a GM cargo van, the extended, long frame. I have/had numerous ones through the years. Like the one before it, the current one has nearly 200K on it with no problems yet. Get the 3500 with the 6 liter and a 3:73 rear end. It will get around 17+MPG on the highway if you keep your foot out of it. The Duramax diesel is available on the 3500 also. It rides a lot better than the 2500 pickups I had. I carried some 16ft. pieces of siding in it the other day and could still close the rear doors. That is room for a lot of bikes and support gear.
One car I was really surprised with was the Honda Fit. There is a TON of room in there. All the seats fold down flat into the floor....you could set up a table and have dinner for 4 in the back of the thing. I'm 6', and I can get in and lay down flat in the back.
Old 04-24-17, 08:45 AM
seypat

What about the Volkswagon Alltrak?

2017 VW Golf Alltrack All-Wheel Drive | Volkswagen
Old 04-24-17, 09:03 AM
seypat

One car I was really surprised with was the Honda Fit. There is a TON of room in there. All the seats fold down flat into the floor....you could set up a table and have dinner for 4 in the back of the thing. I'm 6', and I can get in and lay down flat in the back.
The 5 surpassed my beloved 90/91 Civic Si Hatchback as my favorite ride. That was a fun/versatile car. The 5 just needs more power and more interior sound insulation. Between those 2, I had a couple of GMC pickups. Nice vehicles, but not very fun to drive, park, etc.
Old 04-24-17, 09:25 AM
Abe_Froman

The 5 surpassed my beloved 90/91 Civic Si Hatchback as my favorite ride. That was a fun/versatile car. The 5 just needs more power and more interior sound insulation. Between those 2, I had a couple of GMC pickups. Nice vehicles, but not very fun to drive, park, etc.
I have an Infiniti G37 right now. I don't like it lol

I'd never had a decent car, much less a fast one. So I wanted to spend a bit extra, and get something 'fun.'

I can now officially say I do not, and will not ever consider driving fun or exciting. I want quiet, comfortable, with a bunch of space to move crap with. Basically, my long dead grandfathers Cadillac
Old 04-24-17, 09:32 AM
himespau 

I have fond memories of my mid-late 90's Olds 88. My wife called it an old man car, but it rode smooth, was incredibly comfortable and had all the features I could ever want. Speaking of big cars, when I was in high school, I drove an 81 Ford Granada. At 6'2 or so, I could comfortably lay down all stretched out and take a nap on either the front or the back bench. I only wish I'd had enough of a social life to have done something my parents would have approved of less than take naps on those benches.
Old 04-24-17, 09:34 AM
seypat

I have an Infiniti G37 right now. I don't like it lol

I'd never had a decent car, much less a fast one. So I wanted to spend a bit extra, and get something 'fun.'

I can now officially say I do not, and will not ever consider driving fun or exciting. I want quiet, comfortable, with a bunch of space to move crap with. Basically, my long dead grandfathers Cadillac
My dad used to say he wanted a Caddy/Lincoln that was long enough that when he turned at one end of a city block, the back end of the car was still coming around the other end of the block!
Old 04-24-17, 09:39 AM
Doge

What about the Volkswagon Alltrak?

2017 VW Golf Alltrack All-Wheel Drive | Volkswagen
Maybe. Very close to the BMW 328d (which is Diesel) xDrive - 40mpg and like the 328d - a bit small. I ideally want 2 bikes plus 4 total passenger config and high mileage.

Passengers are wife and me and junior and/or teammate sister.

The bikes are wife and mine for 2K trek (So SoCal to CO someplace) and then maybe 1-2 on top, but junior and teammate/s normally have bikes in their trailer. Trips are normally 1k miles each way and about 500 miles at the destination. Utah I70 is posted 80mph speed limit, CO is posted 75. The speeds are pretty good and bike racks, trailers etc cost more fuel and wind noise. And in the day buddy had racks fly off the car. While I'm sure that was user error - I can't get it out of my mind. Then I forget racks are there and am parking garage challenged, I either can't use one, or forget and that is bad.

So far those used E350 Benz's @ ~ $23K look real good, but mpg is less than desired.
The BMW may work. Plan is to take a car (non BMW) in for service and see if I can use a service loaner car and find out.
I'll likely be buying pre-owned.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.