Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

What's your favorite type saddle?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

What's your favorite type saddle?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-17, 11:52 AM
tspoon

Bikes: 1990 Paul Dye Hand Built 7 Speed, 1965 Raleigh Sport, Folding 26" Tourer

Liked 43 Times in 15 Posts
Brooks C17 carved is my seat these days. Have tried the B17 in the past, prefer a saddle with a cutout. Had a first generation Selle Anatomica, the one that was a modified Brooks Professional, that was probably the best I had, it eventually stretched over 80,000k til it became uncomfortable. Also had a current model Anatomica that lasted all of 5000k before there was no more adjustment and the seat broke at the adjustment point. Near the end I could get all of 50k before needing readjustment. Very good concept, extremely poor materials, needless to say, won't be buying another.
The C17 seems to be going well, although I bent the rails in a crash, and after a new set was purchased and fitted, some of the saddle tension seemed to be lost.
Old 04-26-17, 04:55 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Liked 4,275 Times in 2,854 Posts
Brooks Cambium C17 Carved. I have two and probably will be going for a third soon for a new bike being built! Most comfortable saddle my buns and taintal area have experienced : )
Old 04-26-17, 07:24 PM
Zurichman2

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I love my Brooks Waterford with the cut out in the middle. Not really crazy about it in the rain though. I have heard that they have come out with a saddle now that has a rubber coating on it but I haven't seen one yet.

Zman
Old 04-26-17, 08:57 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio
I honestly like the concept of this saddle. It really does eliminate numbness pretty much completely. I got one amidst saddle woes on my last tour and rode a couple thousand km's with it. However I just couldn't make it work. As per SQ-Lab's own words, I suspect it is too soft as after 50km, like clockwork my bum would start killing me. Absolutely nothing before that, the first 50km's was always a breeze but immediately when we hit 50, a dull pain would start at the sitbones. I may give it a revisit on my MTB but I think I need another type of saddle concept on my tourer as I've found that to be balanced on a road bike I need to lean forwards quite a bit using my Ischial Rami as support. Since SQ-Lab is based almost completely on the Ischial tuberosities I can't get balanced with one.

Also setting the saddle height by feel is actually quite challenging with the saddle having the side to side sway. You don't feel the hip movement as one would with a rigid saddle so one easily ends up with a too high a saddle. One more reason to bring a tape measurer on the next tour.
Yes, the style is a bit quirky & requires one to sit hips forward/butt back, fairly easy to slide forward off the 'shelf' whence the geometry doesn't work so well. Also I've had a bit of minor sit-bone soreness on some longer rides; I figure it's probably lack of training but can't be 100% positive about that.

BTW Eddy Merckx was notorious for adjusting saddle height while racing, I saw a video clip where he borrowed a ruler from the team car to check it while riding, heh.
Old 04-26-17, 09:11 PM
cdnguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alias5000
Also very decent and very affordable: Planet Bike A.R.S. Standard. In Canada now also sold as MEC Standard Saddle for about 35$Cdn. I love this saddle.
But: haven't had a chance to test it for long long touring, yet.
Was actually looking to go pick up this saddle this weekend. How long have you owned it for? Any downsides?
Old 04-26-17, 09:28 PM
Randybb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This baby is the best saddle I've ever used. Perfect firmness. I always had issues with chaffing and sores between my thighs from rubbing against the long nose on most saddles, with this stubby design my thighs don't rub. I'm also a huge fan of the center hole - no more sore perineum or tingling nuts after 4+ hours. Plus, don't have to stand up in order to pass gas.
Old 04-26-17, 10:10 PM
alias5000

Bikes: HP Velotechnik Streetmachine GTE, 2015 Devinci Silverstone SL4, 2012 Cannondale Road Tandem 2, Circe Morpheus, 2021 Rose Backroad, 2017 Devinci Hatchet

Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by cdnguy
Was actually looking to go pick up this saddle this weekend. How long have you owned it for? Any downsides?
Owned it for a bit more than a year now, daily distances are in the 40-110km range. My kilometers on this one are limited in terms of touring so far. However, I have many thousands of kilometers on the A.R.S. classic (one level lower) and the Standard feels like the classic without the foam starting to give up after a day of sitting on it.
As for the A.R.S. Standard, it fits well for riding positions where the handlebar is about level with the seat. I am doubtful about more aggressive positions because of it's size (comes out a little bit wider in the front). There are two gel pads for your seat bones. If your seat bones hit them on the spot, you'll love it. Mine do. You will have to play with the saddle's horizontal angle adjustment very carefully to find the spot in which you are stable. Other saddles are easier to adjust, but it's worth it. I have never ridden a Brooks, but from all saddles I know, the ARS Standard is the best I have ever sat on.
Old 04-27-17, 04:04 PM
Fluteman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome choice of saddles..thx everyone!
Old 04-27-17, 08:51 PM
DropBarFan

Originally Posted by Randybb
This baby is the best saddle I've ever used. Perfect firmness. I always had issues with chaffing and sores between my thighs from rubbing against the long nose on most saddles, with this stubby design my thighs don't rub. I'm also a huge fan of the center hole - no more sore perineum or tingling nuts after 4+ hours. Plus, don't have to stand up in order to pass gas.
Light, 3 widths & choice of colors. Why do 'serious' saddles have the long nose anyway? Perhaps to make picking up the bike easier, heh. I've thought a light saddle + susp seatpost might be a good combo for touring: smoother ride than classic touring saddle/reg seatpost & about the same weight. Firmer road-type saddles might chafe less too.
Old 04-27-17, 09:27 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

Liked 205 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by Randybb
Carbon. Titanium.

has all the buzzwords, must be good,
Old 04-29-17, 08:36 PM
DropBarFan

BTW I've been researching suspension seatposts & found that they all require about 10-13 cm or more height so none will fit on my Surly Disc Trucker with the horizontal top tube. Specialized CG-R looks like it would work but happened to read that top part has some rubber coating that can't be inserted into the seat tube. So there's a plus for sloping top tubes besides the obvious stand-over/mounting benefit.
Old 04-29-17, 09:23 PM
zebkedic

Bikes: Surly ECR, Trek FX 3

Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Leather Brooks B17 Imperial for me
Old 04-30-17, 07:54 AM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Does anybody have any specs on the wts. of some of the saddles mentioned? Just curious.
Old 05-02-17, 12:52 AM
DropBarFan

My SQ Labs 610 Active is about 350 g compared to similarly-priced 540 g Brooks B17 MTB-oriented 611 Active carbon has similar design but somewhat lighter padding--225 g.
Old 05-02-17, 02:57 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Liked 354 Times in 236 Posts
While saddle weight should never be a deciding matter in any case, I'd wager it is even less of a consideration in a touring sense. Phil Gaimon, who's currently doing the "worst retirement ever" youtube channel is riding one of the lightest high performance road bikes on the globe and the saddle he's slapped on is a heavy ISM. And it'd be completely fine if he was riding a brooks since the butt is the most important contact point one has with a bike and thus comfort is the most important consideration with damage prevention. Especially in touring where one is on the bike for hours upon hours a week, where the riding is arguably going to be lower effort than in most other types of cycling and therefore one 'sits' more and causes stress to one's bottom more than in other types of riding.

And more on topic: Im currently trying out the ISM PL 1.1 and I'm more and more certain that the only reason why a traditional bike seat looks like it does is just that, tradition. Because it makes absolutely no anatomical sense. Bike seats of old were like the brooks seats of today so you have the wide back portion to support the sit bones and the front portion to keep the leather taut. The front portion is minimized so that it is not in the way of the thighs and it also does nothing to support anything since it's too thin for the pelvic bone structure. It's a bad idea to sit on the nose of a leather saddle and also any nosed saddle for that matter.
Modern seats mimic that shape. But there is absolutely no reason for the saddle to have a nose! you don't sit on it, it only acts as a wedge that presses against the completely wrong tissues if you lean forward with one.
But I also don't think a completely noseless saddle works since you actually do need to have support for you pubic rami if you do lean forwards. This is where a lot of weird looking seats do things right, ie. selle smp, ISM, specialized power, Cobb, tri saddles in general etc. You have the wider rear portion for the ischial tuberosities and also the front triangle with a hollow middle for the pubic rami. The hollowed out section removes all pressure from the perineum where you'd never want any pressure in any case. The end result is you only sit on bone and actually have more surface area to sit on than with a traditional saddle.

I think the issues I had with a traditional form saddle was that I have pretty ok hamstring flexibility but poor back flexibility. So if I wanted to have any kind of reach on my bikes, I had to lean forward which in turn caused numbness because of the above reasons. I could not sit like the pro's do with their pelvis sitting relatively upright and them leaning forward at the lower back (which actually looks very unhealthy and painful if I'm honest). But having tried a few of these weird saddles and currently riding the ISM I can actually lean forward without numbness and my pelvis feels stable for the first time in years. Thus all of my hand issues have been solved at the same time.