Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Giro: why Quintana can't TT?

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-17, 10:44 AM
alathIN

Bikes: Volagi Viaje (rando/gravel/tour), Cannondale Slice 4 (tri/TT), Motobecane Fantom PLUS X9 (plus tires MTB)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Man, if Quintana could TT he would be so much more of a stage race contender (dominator?)

Why is it that he is such an average TT rider and such a great climber? You'd think with his great power-to-weight combo he ought to be at least decent in TTs. I realize there are other factors but I can't think of any other pro cyclist who has such an extreme mix of great climber and mediocre TT'er.

Today he just gave away everything he won on the big climb and then some.
Old 05-16-17, 01:09 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Liked 3,486 Times in 1,828 Posts
TT performance is dictated by w/CdA (drag coefficient), not w/kg. Being larger has less of an effect on CdA than it does on kg. This means that TT's are biased towards larger, more powerful riders. This isn't universally true of course as there are some small riders that have put out excellent TT's, but a short look at top TT placings in word champs each year gives you an idea of who is best.

Conversely, I'm impressed at how well Dumulin can climb.
Old 05-16-17, 01:26 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Liked 433 Times in 260 Posts
If nothing else, cycling is an excellent example of how a group of similarly excellent overall athletes can have dramatically different specific aptitudes.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 05-18-17, 05:46 AM
Ken Brown
cycling fanatic

Bikes: Cannondale T800

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
He finished 23rd out of 190 riders, so he is well above average, and he time trials well uphill. But I agree that he would dominate grand tours if he were a better time trialer on the flats.
Old 05-23-17, 06:31 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken Brown
He finished 23rd out of 190 riders, so he is well above average, and he time trials well uphill. But I agree that he would dominate grand tours if he were a better time trialer on the flats.
Finishing placement doesn't really mean much. There's typically only ~20 riders really trying in the time trial. The guys trying for a stage win, and the GC contenders. The domestiques are all on a training ride, their job is to suffer on the other stages.

Quintana is just too small to be a good TT. Time trialing is largely about raw power. He has a really good W/kg, but that's because the kg number is small. The best time trialist are bigger riders (Cancellara, etc) who can put up huge wattage numbers.
Old 05-23-17, 07:12 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Liked 3,210 Times in 1,730 Posts
i think the answer you are looking for is that there are fewer maglia rosa bearing riders pulled over to the side of the road
answering nature's call or respecting what is understood as a neutralized stage during time trials.
Old 05-23-17, 08:29 PM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Liked 383 Times in 308 Posts
Colombians, as a general rule, have always been known as exceptional climbers but lacking the horsepower on the flats.

Fabio Parra would be the exception that I'm aware of.
Old 05-23-17, 08:48 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Liked 4,090 Times in 2,643 Posts
Nairo Quintana weighs 100 pounds (45 kg). He has probably 3/4s the aerodynamic size of the big guys, but his power scales (almost) by weight. So if he is 3/4s the size but say 2/3s the weight, that puts him at a (2/3) / (3/4) = .89 = 89% of the power to aerodynamic drag ratio. Being off by 10% in bike racing is huge!

The beauty of bike racing is that such different body types can compete and excel in different events. Grand tours are the amazing melting pots where the different types can go face to face. Domoulin has shown himself to be a gifted rider with multiple talents, but he is going against a tiny guy who spent his life almost a mile higher than the high point of this race. The two of them shine in very different places.

Ben
Old 05-24-17, 08:40 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Liked 139 Times in 90 Posts
Raw power vs power to weight. It's always the advantage of the bigger man, because their raw power will kill a TT, and it's easy enough to manipulate your W/kg (through whatever means necessary) by shedding weight, while maintaining power. Little guys can't really up their raw power, without other kinds of artificial/chemical help. This is the big deal with Sky. Froome and Wiggins were absolutely skeletal, but they held their overall power. Helped them magically turn into climbers while maintaining power for TT's. It's much more difficult to go the other way...from climber to TT powerhouse.
Old 05-24-17, 10:14 PM
CliffordK

Liked 4,572 Times in 3,396 Posts
Does he ride a Quintana Roo TT bike?
Old 05-28-17, 02:09 PM
patrickgm60

Bikes: Yes

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Whatever the reasons, it just cost him the Giro. Perhaps the French route will favor him more than the Italian route did.
Old 05-28-17, 04:00 PM
Pibevalderrama

Bikes: 2015 Scott Speedster 10, 2016 Giant SCR2, 2016 Peugeot X01

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As I see, Quintana don't lose "Il Giro" at today's TT, but in the mountain stages, where he (can't??? don't want???) attack to Dumo until destroy him, as he did in the Blockhaus stage. Said that, I think the Quintana's TT of today was excellent due to his possibilities.
Regards