Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Trading Up to a Bike

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-17, 04:52 PM
SarahBeth

Bikes: Specialized Roll Low Entry - 2018

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's a quick update:

I've been communicating with my LBS and I'm leaning towards the Cannondale Quick 4. They have a great deal on a 2016 and I think that will keep me in good stead. I've decided the cruiser will be my splurge when I hit another milestone.

Trek FX is on my shortlist as well. I contemplated a Diamondback (Clarity 2/ Clarity ST) but I think the former two will be better in long run.

If there's something I need to know about the Cannondale please tell me! The sales guy steered me away from the Quick 8. He said I was getting a much better bike with the Quick 4 and there was only a $30 difference in price. I was also told that it would be possible to do 40-50 miles on the bike. I'll be checking it out this week.

Thanks for all your help! It's been quite a journey getting to this point.
Old 05-23-17, 10:20 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by SarahBeth
Here's a quick update:

I've been communicating with my LBS and I'm leaning towards the Cannondale Quick 4. They have a great deal on a 2016 and I think that will keep me in good stead. I've decided the cruiser will be my splurge when I hit another milestone.

Trek FX is on my shortlist as well. I contemplated a Diamondback (Clarity 2/ Clarity ST) but I think the former two will be better in long run.

If there's something I need to know about the Cannondale please tell me! The sales guy steered me away from the Quick 8. He said I was getting a much better bike with the Quick 4 and there was only a $30 difference in price. I was also told that it would be possible to do 40-50 miles on the bike. I'll be checking it out this week.

Thanks for all your help! It's been quite a journey getting to this point.
Not sure of all the particulars but the Cannondale Quick has a good reputation and this model has been around, in one configuration or another, for about 8 or 9 years. Is the model you are looking for an 8 speed or a 9 speed? Have you ridden the bike? IMO Cannondale and Trek are about equal these days. I live in Wisconsin which is pretty much Trek country, but I would not hesitate to go with Cannondale if after a test ride, I liked it better than a comparable Trek. Almost did, in fact, buy a Quick, 5 years ago, before deciding to spend a lot more money and go with my current bike.

Last edited by MRT2; 05-23-17 at 10:38 AM.
Old 05-23-17, 12:20 PM
SarahBeth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2
Not sure of all the particulars but the Cannondale Quick has a good reputation and this model has been around, in one configuration or another, for about 8 or 9 years. Is the model you are looking for an 8 speed or a 9 speed? Have you ridden the bike? IMO Cannondale and Trek are about equal these days.
I know Cannondale had a great reputation a few years ago. Most of our bike messengers rode one. But that's the extent of my knowledge of the brand. I'm obviously spending a little more than I would have with the cruiser. However, I'm focusing on fitness with this purchase and pleasure for the next. Most of all, I want the option of longer rides. What I initially desired is still true. But I discovered it's impractical for my first bike. However, it would be a great addition later on. And I've heard there's a great biking community in Boston. I just might ride to school.

Where do I find the speed? I noticed that 9 speed was mentioned. Here are the specs. Is there anything of concern or that I'll need to change?
  • Frame: Quick, Butted 6061 Alloy, SAVE, 1-1/8" headtube
  • Fork: Quick, carbon blades, 1-1/8" steerer
  • Headset: Tange Si 1-1/8"
  • Front Derailleur: Shimano Altus, 31.8 clamp
  • Rear Derailleur: Shimano Acera
  • Crankset: Shimano
  • Chainrings: 48/36/26
  • Number of Gears: 27
  • Shifters: Shimano ST-EF51, EZ-Fire Plus
  • Chainset: Suntour XCM, 48/38/28
  • Bottom Bracket: Tange Cartridge
  • Cassette: Sunrace M90, 11-32, 9-speed
  • Chain: KMC Z99, 9-speed
  • Pedals: Quick Reinforced Composite w/ Kraton Inserts
  • Brakeset: Shimano ST-EF51
  • Brakes: Cannondale C4 mini linear-pull
  • Handlebars: Cannondale C4, 6061 alloy, 25mm rise, 640mm
  • Stem: Cannondale C4, 6061 alloy, 31.8, 12 deg.
  • Grips: Cannondale Ergo Performance, Lock-On
  • Wheelset: Xero C3 Star Cross system wheelset
  • Front Tire: Schwalbe Spicer, 700x30c, puncture protection, reflective sidewall
  • Rear Tire: Schwalbe Spicer, 700x30c, puncture protection, reflective sidewall
  • Saddle: Cannondale Quick Ergo Performance
  • Seatpost: Cannondale C4, 6061 Alloy, 27.2x350mm
  • Notes: Mudguard & Rack Compatible
As for the Trek, I was considering the 2016 7.2 WSD Low Step or the 2017 FX Stagger. All three are women's bikes. I plan to test ride this week. What are your thoughts about Diamondback? Dick's is having a pretty good sale but I don't know much about the brand.
Save
Save
Old 05-23-17, 03:44 PM
MRT2

I know Cannondale had a great reputation a few years ago. Most of our bike messengers rode one. But that's the extent of my knowledge of the brand. I'm obviously spending a little more than I would have with the cruiser. However, I'm focusing on fitness with this purchase and pleasure for the next. Most of all, I want the option of longer rides. What I initially desired is still true. But I discovered it's impractical for my first bike. However, it would be a great addition later on. And I've heard there's a great biking community in Boston. I just might ride to school.

Where do I find the speed? I noticed that 9 speed was mentioned. Here are the specs. Is there anything of concern or that I'll need to change?
  • Frame: Quick, Butted 6061 Alloy, SAVE, 1-1/8" headtube
  • Fork: Quick, carbon blades, 1-1/8" steerer
  • Headset: Tange Si 1-1/8"
  • Front Derailleur: Shimano Altus, 31.8 clamp
  • Rear Derailleur: Shimano Acera
  • Crankset: Shimano
  • Chainrings: 48/36/26
  • Number of Gears: 27
  • Shifters: Shimano ST-EF51, EZ-Fire Plus
  • Chainset: Suntour XCM, 48/38/28
  • Bottom Bracket: Tange Cartridge
  • Cassette: Sunrace M90, 11-32, 9-speed
  • Chain: KMC Z99, 9-speed
  • Pedals: Quick Reinforced Composite w/ Kraton Inserts
  • Brakeset: Shimano ST-EF51
  • Brakes: Cannondale C4 mini linear-pull
  • Handlebars: Cannondale C4, 6061 alloy, 25mm rise, 640mm
  • Stem: Cannondale C4, 6061 alloy, 31.8, 12 deg.
  • Grips: Cannondale Ergo Performance, Lock-On
  • Wheelset: Xero C3 Star Cross system wheelset
  • Front Tire: Schwalbe Spicer, 700x30c, puncture protection, reflective sidewall
  • Rear Tire: Schwalbe Spicer, 700x30c, puncture protection, reflective sidewall
  • Saddle: Cannondale Quick Ergo Performance
  • Seatpost: Cannondale C4, 6061 Alloy, 27.2x350mm
  • Notes: Mudguard & Rack Compatible
As for the Trek, I was considering the 2016 7.2 WSD Low Step or the 2017 FX Stagger. All three are women's bikes. I plan to test ride this week. What are your thoughts about Diamondback? Dick's is having a pretty good sale but I don't know much about the brand.
Save
Save
The C'Dale looks to be a 9 speed.

Like Schwinn, Diamondback is one of those brands that is a mixed bag. They sell some good bikes, and some department store crap. And most, but maybe not all that they sell at Dick's are department store crap.
Old 05-23-17, 04:28 PM
SarahBeth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The C'Dale looks to be a 9 speed.

Like Schwinn, Diamondback is one of those brands that is a mixed bag. They sell some good bikes, and some department store crap. And most, but maybe not all that they sell at Dick's are department store crap.
Thanks for your help! You've been great.

So if it's a 9-speed bike, what effect does that have on the ride? And what about the wheels? I've seen larger numbers recommended on this board.
Old 05-24-17, 07:17 AM
MRT2

Thanks for your help! You've been great.

So if it's a 9-speed bike, what effect does that have on the ride? And what about the wheels? I've seen larger numbers recommended on this board.
9 speed is good. Plenty of gears to configure your bike however you like it. close geared for performance on flats. Widely spaced to give you plenty of low gears on hills. Or something in between.

Among geared bikes, 8 speed is pretty much entry level. 9 speed is a step up. And the good thing is, unlike the current 10 and 11 speeds, current 9 speed is compatible with all current or past 8 and 9 speed Shimano components. (probably not an issue for a person buying a new bike, but you never know.) And because 9 speed is still a step up from entry level, it is likely to be supported by Shimano for at least another 5 to 10 years, so replacements will be easily available for quite some time.

As for wheels, I have no direct experience with these wheels, but I have given you my take on stock wheels. Talk with the guys or gals at the bike shop and decide if you want to give the stock wheels a try, or if you want to go with a sturdier set of wheels right away.
Old 05-24-17, 11:13 AM
SarahBeth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
9 speed is good. Plenty of gears to configure your bike however you like it. close geared for performance on flats. Widely spaced to give you plenty of low gears on hills. Or something in between.

Among geared bikes, 8 speed is pretty much entry level. 9 speed is a step up. And the good thing is, unlike the current 10 and 11 speeds, current 9 speed is compatible with all current or past 8 and 9 speed Shimano components. (probably not an issue for a person buying a new bike, but you never know.) And because 9 speed is still a step up from entry level, it is likely to be supported by Shimano for at least another 5 to 10 years, so replacements will be easily available for quite some time.

As for wheels, I have no direct experience with these wheels, but I have given you my take on stock wheels. Talk with the guys or gals at the bike shop and decide if you want to give the stock wheels a try, or if you want to go with a sturdier set of wheels right away.
Things are starting to come together. The longevity of the model and likelihood of future availability for parts is a big selling point. If this rides well it's coming home with me. As for the wheels, I think I'll give them a go and see how it works. By the time I'm ready for replacements I'll have a clearer idea about my riding style and habits. It will be much easier to make my selection based on absolutes instead of possibilities.

In regards to gear, do you have any recommendations for bike computers? Something to get me started at least. Thanks again.
Old 05-24-17, 11:24 AM
MRT2

Things are starting to come together. The longevity of the model and likelihood of future availability for parts is a big selling point. If this rides well it's coming home with me. As for the wheels, I think I'll give them a go and see how it works. By the time I'm ready for replacements I'll have a clearer idea about my riding style and habits. It will be much easier to make my selection based on absolutes instead of possibilities.

In regards to gear, do you have any recommendations for bike computers? Something to get me started at least. Thanks again.
Depends on how much you want to spend. Some people just set up an app on their phone, like Strava. That can work, but then you need to rig something up to hold your phone on your bike where you can see it, and you are using up your phone running the app. I like to save my phone for emergencies.

Others like wireless computers. Garmin is pretty much the gold standard, but expensive, like $300. Includes GPS, elevation, and other cool stuff.

I still used old fashioned wired computers. I have had the Planet Bike Protege 8.0 for about 10 years now. Calculates basic stuff like trip distance, speed, average speed. I believe the current model is the 9.0. Sigma makes wired bike computers. I like the Planet bike, but my wife uses a Sigma Sport. All pretty basic, and available for between $25 and $40, online or at a bike shop.

So take your pick.
Old 05-24-17, 12:07 PM
SarahBeth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Depends on how much you want to spend. Some people just set up an app on their phone, like Strava. That can work, but then you need to rig something up to hold your phone on your bike where you can see it, and you are using up your phone running the app. I like to save my phone for emergencies.
I planned to use Strava and attach something to the bike.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check them out. I've seen mixed reviews about the Garmin and I'll see how the simpler options work out. That may be all I need for now.
Old 05-24-17, 02:36 PM
donalson
just pedal

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, trek 560

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I picked up a Magellan Cyclo 505 a little while back... they are/where compared to the garmin 1000 (full mapping capabilities, HRM, cadence, speed, power meter etc)... and went for something like $500... but tanks to them being no longer sold they are going for $120 with a HRM and cadence/speed sensor... I've used mine a few times and I LOVE it so far... the mapping is a very nice tidbit, I can wonder around in areas I don't know and then when it's time to head home I tell it to take me home, it does a good job of using neighborhood streets over more busy streets which I thought was nice... after the ride no need to plug it in, just hit the wifi sync and it sends the ride to magellens webpage and to strava and a few others if you want it to...

but I did use my phone for a long time...

another option... a lot of runners watches work for bikes, can use the HRM feature if they have it and some will sync with a cadence/speed sensor (namely a number of the garmin forerunner series)... being that you are a walker they might be worth looking into? if you want to geek out on both running watches and cycle computers check out https://www.dcrainmaker.com/
Old 05-25-17, 12:59 PM
SarahBeth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by donalson
but I did use my phone for a long time...

another option... a lot of runners watches work for bikes, can use the HRM feature if they have it and some will sync with a cadence/speed sensor (namely a number of the garmin forerunner series)... being that you are a walker they might be worth looking into? if you want to geek out on both running watches and cycle computers check out https://www.dcrainmaker.com/
Thanks for the tip. I don't plan to use my phone. Damage would bring a shower of tears so why torture myself?

I have a Fitbit Alta and it tracks cycling activity, but I wanted something on the bike as well. I'll check out the link. Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-25-17, 01:15 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Liked 2,630 Times in 1,530 Posts
The Cannondale Quick 4 and the Trek FX and that entire class of bikes seem like they would be great for you. I think it is a wise choice compared with the cruiser style bike you were considering. But be sure to test ride it. You have to be comfortable on it. The Quick (and its genre) are great for fitness and losing weight, because if you choose to, you can push your limits on it. The cruiser style bike is for coasting gently in the park on occasional weekends. That's a nice activity unto itself but it won't have much effect on your condition, if any. And if you try to push yourself on a heavy upright bike, the bike's feedback might tell you not to bother.

9 speeds or whatever. It's a trivial distinction. You are about to spend enough money to get a good quality bike, and the particular components at that level don't matter.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-25-17, 02:28 PM
donalson
just pedal

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, trek 560

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the tip. I don't plan to use my phone. Damage would bring a shower of tears so why torture myself?

I have a Fitbit Alta and it tracks cycling activity, but I wanted something on the bike as well. I'll check out the link. Thanks for sharing.
I have the fitbit hr2 and it also tracks cycling as long as you set it to before the ride... it uses the GPS from the cell phone to track the ride though... I found that it didn't track rides very well though compared to other apps like strava/mapmyride etc etc.

if you are already going to carry your phone (which I would recommend for emergency needs) you can have some of the apps read your HR from the fitbit (I know mapmyride will do that and i'm sure others can)...

i'm a bit of a data geek so I like to track as many metrics as I can... it's nice to look back and see how I've progressed
Old 05-28-17, 10:17 AM
SarahBeth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
The Cannondale Quick 4 and the Trek FX and that entire class of bikes seem like they would be great for you. I think it is a wise choice compared with the cruiser style bike you were considering. But be sure to test ride it. You have to be comfortable on it. The Quick (and its genre) are great for fitness and losing weight, because if you choose to, you can push your limits on it. The cruiser style bike is for coasting gently in the park on occasional weekends. That's a nice activity unto itself but it won't have much effect on your condition, if any. And if you try to push yourself on a heavy upright bike, the bike's feedback might tell you not to bother.

9 speeds or whatever. It's a trivial distinction. You are about to spend enough money to get a good quality bike, and the particular components at that level don't matter.
Thank you for your feedback. It's good to know that I've narrowed down my choices and they're in line with my long-term goals. I'm keeping my fingers crossed on the Cannondale. The LBS has a Groupon deal as well and it would be an added discount. I've also picked up a few cycling books from the library to fill in the knowledge gaps.

There's another bike in the house that's been in storage for ages. It was given to my daughter years ago but she doesn't ride. I think it's too large for her but would fit me well. Nothing flash. Just a good mountain bike which would be ideal for Boston winters.

As for the cruiser, that's my splurge.
Old 05-28-17, 10:20 AM
SarahBeth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by donalson
I have the fitbit hr2 and it also tracks cycling as long as you set it to before the ride... it uses the GPS from the cell phone to track the ride though... I found that it didn't track rides very well though compared to other apps like strava/mapmyride etc etc.

if you are already going to carry your phone (which I would recommend for emergency needs) you can have some of the apps read your HR from the fitbit (I know mapmyride will do that and i'm sure others can)...

i'm a bit of a data geek so I like to track as many metrics as I can... it's nice to look back and see how I've progressed
I don't have the HR model. I picked up the Alta last month during an unadvertised closeout. I have the model with the gold face. It was only $40. I expect to use an app (probably Strava) and make adjustments to Fitbit stats if necessary. Since I have a second device I could also put it on my ankle/laces. That's the older hack many used before cycling was included.