Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-17, 09:55 AM
TexMac

Bikes: Ridley Noah fast, Colnago CLX,Giant Propel Advanced, Pinnerello Gogma 65.1, Specialized S-works Venge, CAADX,Cervelo S3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spectastic
I was having a conversation with a certified coach about recovering between efforts (eg. in a crit or intervals or something like that), and he told me that in order to help your body recover in between efforts, it needs to have a big aerobic engine, which is developed through base training (and I guess pseudo base/tempo training for the time constrained cyclists). This surprised me, because I always thought that you get better at recovering from efforts by doing short-medium length intervals, and play around with the power/interval duration/recovery duration. This argument of having a big aerobic engine, which helps the body eliminate waste and fight off fatigue was new to me. It reminds me of something that @mattm posted a while back about how all his coach told him to do was to ride in z2 all day. Can someone else elaborate on this point?
I think Z2 is for folks with plenty of times for lots of miles , with 1 hr you are better off intervals
Old 06-01-17, 09:57 AM
TexMac

Bikes: Ridley Noah fast, Colnago CLX,Giant Propel Advanced, Pinnerello Gogma 65.1, Specialized S-works Venge, CAADX,Cervelo S3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
What is the max recovery time, sans injury, dehydration etc., anyone here would expect from a near max training effort <90min?

Junior's big event is on Friday July 2nd (U23 RR, no expectations) and I'd like junior to do a (Pikes Peak) pre-runon Sat - 6 days before before we drive out (I hate planes).
Near max effort - means RPE 90% starting at 9,000' finishing 14,000. We have no data to run HR or power to.

I'm trying to time things with travel, support etc. That hill cannot be done easily without support, or a car to start, and the climbing bike, which is different than the road bike, in not going to be flown, so I'll drive it. Current thinking is doing 60 miles of a regular 95 mile group ride on Sat (pick him up at turnaround) and then 2 hour break, and 90 min pretty hard effort on Sat - 6 days before.

Doing it Friday - is a logistical issue - maybe. Skipping it means can't pre-run until near the race time in Aug and again, the pre-run may be too close to race.
Best luck to your Junior. Just curious what's the climbing and road bike?
Old 06-01-17, 10:06 AM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3377 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by TexMac
Best luck to your Junior. Just curious what's the climbing and road bike?
He actually is not a junior, he's 18, racing age 19 - I call him junior out of habit as my posting was 80% about what I buy/build and he rides.

His Road bike is a Venge, Di2, pretty light, but more aero and seat a bit lower etc. It can climb, but does not have (so junior says) the ride of the MASI.

Hill bike is MASI and built to 12# and also Di2, Shimano Cranks, pedals, RD. It has no FD (might add back), single offset front 46T ring, and the brakes are lighter.
Front is higher, and is setup for more hill climbing position.

Both could work for either, just not ideal.
Old 06-01-17, 10:12 AM
TexMac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
He actually is not a junior, he's 18, racing age 19 - I call him junior out of habit as my posting was 80% about what I buy/build and he rides.

His Road bike is a Venge, Di2, pretty light, but more aero and seat a bit lower etc. It can climb, but does not have (so junior says) the ride of the MASI.

Hill bike is MASI and built to 12# and also Di2, Shimano Cranks, pedals, RD. It has no FD (might add back), single offset front 46T ring, and the brakes are lighter.
Front is higher, and is setup for more hill climbing position.

Both could work for either, just not ideal.
Thanks. Interesting take on the bikes.
Old 06-01-17, 10:41 AM
jdms mvp

Bikes: nagasawa, fuji track pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
been 3 weeks since everesting , been playing around chasing KOMs, and did an impromtu 20min test. 335w for 20minute @63kg, is a career PB by 1w. I'll take it.

stoked about it. been doing other 1-4min career PBs too, while hunting.

gonna build my TT bike back up this weekend and finish the summer training on it.

Last edited by jdms mvp; 06-01-17 at 10:47 AM.
Old 06-01-17, 11:38 AM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
what product do you guys use for nutrition on the bike? I've been using just plain water... and I realize now that getting into more important road races, I need some combination of complex carbs and protein to keep up with my sugar consumption and fight off fatigue.

I saw a video from source endurance that you need a certain amount of complex carbs/kg weight/hr, and 5-6g of protein as well (I think there are certain amino acids that are preferable, so whey is probably not a great choice?). anyone know about this stuff?
Old 06-01-17, 11:59 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1853 Post(s)
Liked 680 Times in 431 Posts
I use Infinit.

If you PM me, I can give you a code for 10 percent off.
Old 06-01-17, 01:39 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by TexMac
Thanks. Interesting take on the bikes.
Guess the other thing is I routed a Di2 cable through stem and into, out of steer tube. So removing bar and stem for flying is not an option.
Old 06-01-17, 02:38 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
what product do you guys use for nutrition on the bike? I've been using just plain water... and I realize now that getting into more important road races, I need some combination of complex carbs and protein to keep up with my sugar consumption and fight off fatigue.
Used powerade powder for the last few years. Just switched to pure maltodextrin (Now Foods Carbo Gain). Have like a 5 lb jar of the stuff. Cheap, very little taste, mixes cleanly, feels good. Yep.
Old 06-01-17, 06:11 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
I use infinity also, sometimes a few gels or bananas as well.

Training status, not much.
Didn't feel like it on Tuesday so I worked late. Wednesday night I did the hill climb race ride. All out 25 minute effort. 200 TSS total. Tonight and tomorrow I may not have time due to goin to shows. Sunday I may do a crit but that means short ride on Saturday and basically a rest week. Hard to stay above 90 CTL lately, and all structure is long gone. Really I should do a 3 hour ride with intensity on Sat and a long ride with tempo/threshold on Sunday.

Really I think I need a real vacation.
Old 06-01-17, 06:53 PM
Doge

I saw a video from source endurance that you need a certain amount of complex carbs/kg weight/hr, and 5-6g of protein as well (I think there are certain amino acids that are preferable, so whey is probably not a great choice?). anyone know about this stuff?
My feed zone experience has shown me it is very hard to find patterns. Teams sometimes have the director/specify but even when sponsored some will use other stuff and hide the container. What is becoming more common is riders wanting different stuff on different laps. I have to write a lot on bottles to keep it clear.

The new GUs have amino acids in them. Whey messes me and my daughter up, but my son runs fine on it. Son did race well with chocolate milk but ever since he forgot it wasn't water and poured it over his head - he goes water, some rare times electrolyte. Problem is stuff in bottles is consumed at different rates based on temperature. In varying temperatures it is hard to predict the concentration of powder/water and just using water it can be used for cooling (over head) etc. And it is easy to exchange/get another feed etc. If you ride in many areas, different weather, different feeders etc., it is easiest to use water in the bottle/s.

There is always a mix of fat/protein - normally Justin's PB and/or Almond butter. The USAFA supplies this so that works great. Good fat is always there and most has protein in it. Nut fat/avocados. He does use whey protein powder for training, but for racing - protein comes form food - mainly nuts.

Carbs the GU with the amino acids. He selects non-caffeinated and caffeinated - so does not take the caffeine for granted and he uses caffeine just for racing. GU/Chews also work as electrolytes. He prefers Bonk Breaker Chews instead if he can find them and they go on the top tube - esp crits (and eats one every X laps), but they are hard to find. Cliff makes some too.

This is what Puppy does / something like this:
-Crit < 1 hour, no serious eating within 4 hours, the nut butter about 2 hours before. Double espresso 45 min before, GU or Bonk Breaker Chews 10 min before and ride with 1-2 Caffeinated ones. Total Caffeine ~ 200mg

-RR 2-3 hr eat more before, a Justin's pack at start, one an hour in. Hit the Caffeine about mid-race. Move to more carbs last hour or so. White bagel is good, finish on sugar / GU/Bonk Breaker Chews. Total Caffeine ~<300mg

-4-5 hours 109 mile races, July 2, Louisville heat - we are still planning. This is new territory for him.
There is lots of feed opportunity, so I'll have a mix of things and listen. I'll maybe be feeding the LUX kids too and LUX may be feeding Puppy. Plan is likely close to the RR 2-3 hours with mini ham and cheese croissant maybe 2 hours in, or some higher fat food with a little protein in addition to the Justin's. Likely will have Electrolyte and Water to hand off. Some iced/some not. We think he can do the 25mg GUs most of the race on top of the Justin's etc. Total Caffeine ~300mg
Old 06-01-17, 06:58 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Clif blocks / gu (but I prefer the blocks), sometimes a nuun tablet because I like bubbles. 4-5hr races are still a bit of a mystery to me. I have seen bros eating real food during them things, like ham sandwich in tin foil type stuff.
Old 06-01-17, 09:35 PM
hack

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval

Damn, man. That sucks. But good to have a diagnosis.

Hope you get things sorted out.
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
Yikes! My mom has diagnosed celiac but it wasn't caught until she was like 60. It explained sooooooooo much. Anyway glad they caught your thing. Be sure to add in a follow up "is it sustainably grown?" when asking about GF options.
Originally Posted by TMonk
bummer about the celiac hack - but I'm glad you're learning things and on the path back to health. on the plus side, if you're a beer drinker, you'll probably lose some weight now . I hear that manahattans and red wine have less calories than a pint of IPA .

Thanks ... I figure better to know and fix than be in the dark. I better get at least a 10% FTP bump after healing.
Old 06-02-17, 12:54 AM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Thursday night training crit. An hour of sprinting out of corners, drafting down the descent and attacking a climb to stay in. Lots of fun. Still getting used to the 7:00 (A) field, so for now I'm jsut pack fodder. Put in one big attack for a prime, but was WAYYYY too early and realized as I did it that I had a teammate up the road in the break.. Derp.

CTL 106. ATL 118. Feelin' good.
Old 06-02-17, 05:32 AM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
2 hours last night. Shoulder still sore, but was fine riding. Might race tomorrow.
Old 06-02-17, 08:18 AM
TexMac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last night, had a good non-stop ride for 108 minutes with 18 minutes zone/12% in zone 4, and 80% zone 2. Still not comfortable riding behind folks even though my collarbone is healing in week 7. Had to tell couple of folks to i just need to ride solo unless you want to stay on my wheel.
Old 06-02-17, 08:38 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

omg my face is in full on "Don't look at the Ark!!!" meltdown allergy mode.
Old 06-02-17, 09:27 AM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
omg my face is in full on "Don't look at the Ark!!!" meltdown allergy mode.
ugh dude for years I've thought people who complain about allergies are just making **** up, but each year I start getting them worse and worse. i haven't been able to breath since getting home from KSR.
Old 06-02-17, 09:43 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

I've always had bad allegies, but this year is exceptionally awful. Like up until 3am snotting errywhere grossness. @globecanvas got to deal with me clearing my throat every 10 seconds for an hour and a half, and his teammate sneezing all over his dashboard on Tuesday critday.
Old 06-02-17, 09:53 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes. I piloted the plague ship and in return they called me a germophobe.
Old 06-02-17, 10:07 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1853 Post(s)
Liked 680 Times in 431 Posts
Two tricks I use to help me deal with allergies:

NeilMed Nasal flush - I do it daily. When things are really bad, I do twice a day. One note of warning, often some nasal flush fluid stays in your sinuses and when you lean over, it will come rushing out.

Humidifier - Run it at night while you sleep.

This is in addition to my daily allergy medication and decongestant, for which I have to have a prescription despite it being OTC because I cannot legally purchase enough on a monthly basis.

I also keep Afrin in my cycling bag to help open my sinuses before I ride/race. If you do this, be careful. Afrin is very addictive. I was hooked on it for awhile, and it was awful getting off it.
Old 06-02-17, 10:52 AM
scheibo
once a runner

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i had pretty bad allergies and got allergy shots twice a week for like 10 years when i was younger and that 'cured' me until i moved to california where there is now a brand new abundance of local flora and fauna that i was apparently not inoculated against. every year im here my allergies have been getting worse - this year was especially bad because it rained so much the plants were not all killed off by March like they usually have been (though thankfully they have been over the last few weeks).
Old 06-02-17, 10:58 AM
scheibo
once a runner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
been completely trashed since monday - doing a 10k running tempo after a period of little mileage completely ruined me. i find that if i'm not doing at least 50 miles of running a week i take a long time to recover from workouts/races and i was definitely not doing 50 mi/week while i was recovering from infection. it's been a struggle to even convince myself to ride my bike for 1hr long recovery rides. had a massage yesterday which helped a bunch, but still not feeling great. i have another running workout tonight which im worried will ruin my weekend riding plans as well, but i need to prioritize running right now because im supposed to be doing a race in Frankfurt on the 13th and i dont want to be completely garbage. i need to walk the fine line between getting in shape and not getting injured until then, so my cycling might suffer a bit.

on a more positive note, i've made it 3.5 days so far without sabotaging myself with poor dietary choices.
Old 06-02-17, 10:59 AM
scheibo
once a runner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jdms mvp
been 3 weeks since everesting , been playing around chasing KOMs, and did an impromtu 20min test. 335w for 20minute @63kg, is a career PB by 1w. I'll take it.
nice! was that enough for the KOM?
Old 06-02-17, 11:24 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Two tricks I use to help me deal with allergies:

NeilMed Nasal flush - I do it daily. When things are really bad, I do twice a day. One note of warning, often some nasal flush fluid stays in your sinuses and when you lean over, it will come rushing out.

Humidifier - Run it at night while you sleep.

This is in addition to my daily allergy medication and decongestant, for which I have to have a prescription despite it being OTC because I cannot legally purchase enough on a monthly basis.

I also keep Afrin in my cycling bag to help open my sinuses before I ride/race. If you do this, be careful. Afrin is very addictive. I was hooked on it for awhile, and it was awful getting off it.
Another dedicated NeilMed user here. He's right about the drainage. Caused a puddle or two bending over to tie my shoes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.