Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Riding with prescription glasses

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Riding with prescription glasses

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-17, 02:19 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
I have this problem as well particularly on the hot sweaty days. Went to checkout Nerd Wax that was referenced and found these instead. Might try them.

https://www.amazon.com/Keepons-Super...words=nerd+wax
Old 06-02-17, 02:44 PM
Squeeze
High Plains Luddite

Bikes: 3x8 & 3x9

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 54 Posts
I put off buying prescription sunglasses for a very long time. Needless luxury, way too expensive, etc.

Even if I never rode a bike or drove a car or went skiing again, I simply would not want to be without prescription sunglasses ever again. They are fantastic.

Now, I live where the chamber of commerce or tourist department or whoever makes up these statistics says there are 300 sunny days per year. I suppose if you live where it rains all the time, they might not be as important as they are to me.

Good luck.
Old 06-02-17, 02:46 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4823 Post(s)
Liked 1,557 Times in 1,021 Posts
A couple things i've read in this thread that bother me a bit.
#1: OP, are your current prescription glasses made with glass lenses, or shatterproof plastic/polycarbonate? If the former, I'd suggest you change them somewhat quickly.
#2. Suggesting croakies or straps of some kind, which would fix the glasses (glass?) to your face and head when you have a fall/accident is not a good idea IMO.
#3. Generally, most advice on wearing glasses of any kind when cycling, is that the arms of the glasses should be on the outside of all helmet straps or hats you may be wearing, precisely so that the glasses get thrown clear of your eyes/face in the event of an accident.
Old 06-02-17, 03:02 PM
memebag

Bikes: 2017 Cannondale CAAD12 105, 2014 Giant Escape City

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I wear my normal prescription glasses while riding most of the time. I ride in the drops and I sweat a lot, but they never slide down. The nose part doesn't hold them up -- the ear parts do. They are plastic frames with plastic lenses. Very light, very stiff. I've had them 2 or 3 years now and they haven't loosened up at all. A company called "Salt" makes them.
Old 06-02-17, 03:53 PM
bobwysiwyg

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
A couple things i've read in this thread that bother me a bit.
#1: OP, are your current prescription glasses made with glass lenses, or shatterproof plastic/polycarbonate? If the former, I'd suggest you change them somewhat quickly.
#2. Suggesting croakies or straps of some kind, which would fix the glasses (glass?) to your face and head when you have a fall/accident is not a good idea IMO.
#3. Generally, most advice on wearing glasses of any kind when cycling, is that the arms of the glasses should be on the outside of all helmet straps or hats you may be wearing, precisely so that the glasses get thrown clear of your eyes/face in the event of an accident.
Just curious, have you ever warn eye glasses outside the straps?
Old 06-02-17, 03:57 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
Just curious, have you ever warn eye glasses outside the straps?
Always, why?
Old 06-02-17, 04:11 PM
bobwysiwyg

Always, why?
Mine would be very uncomfortable.
Old 06-02-17, 04:14 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
Mine would be very uncomfortable.
Weird.. it's pretty common.
https://www.google.com/search?q=wear...w=1280&bih=542
Old 06-02-17, 05:41 PM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
most people at some point in their lives have managed to get something sticky on their hands that, try as they might, eventually has to pretty much wear off, before it goes away completely. for me it's linseed oil, but i would search my memory for something like that and... well, stick some on my nose, i guess.

BTW, the weight of glasses, obviously has an impact on how much they want to slide down the nose. i don't know if it's applicable here, but i'm pretty sure i had some prescription glasses made up with some kind of hard plastic lens once. might be worth looking into.
Old 06-02-17, 05:43 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I don't have a problem with my glasses sliding down my nose since they're extremely lightweight.
Old 06-02-17, 05:45 PM
pickettt

Bikes: DiamondBack Podium 7, Focus Raven 1.0, Ritchey BreakAway Cross, (2) Trek 8500, Paramount PDG 90, Trek T2000, Redline Flight Pro 24

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 33 Posts
I've had over 15 pairs of good fitting Rx sunglasses since I've been riding and racing over the past 25 years. I've never had trouble with them sliding down. I have heard the idea that you should wear glasses on the outside of your helmet straps so that they may be thrown clear in a crash, thus not cutting your face. However, every incidence I've had crashing on my face (yes, there have been several), the glasses served to protect my eyes, which I value far more than my cheeks or forehead. So, my advice is first to get the best fit you can, then wear the temples on the inside of your helmet straps. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 06-02-17, 06:55 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 539 Times in 369 Posts
The Rudy sunglasses use a grippy rubber on the ear pieces and the nose clip. It stays in place.

The "pro" method is glasses outside the helmet straps, but that's never worked for me. The choice is kind of controversial here on BF!

My old distance prescription was a few years out of date. I could still see road signs, etc, but it was gradually getting fuzzier.

I had the inserts replaced with my new prescription. WOW! It's like HD video, everything is sharp, and it's an improvement to the ride aesthetics.
Old 06-02-17, 07:33 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts

My guess is that you don't wear prescription glasses, that you don't need them to see. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm not sure if those who don't wear prescription glasses can understand the level of anxiety those who need them to see live with on a daily basis. Every time they come off my head they get smudged or twisted, or set down and forgotten, or fall on the floor, or shoved in a pocket...

It is far less stressful to just keep them on my face where they belong and allow the helmet to go on and off without messing with something which I am blind without.

-Tim-
Old 06-02-17, 07:45 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf
The "pro" method is glasses outside the helmet straps, but that's never worked for me. The choice is kind of controversial here on BF!
Outside the straps is for people who don't need glasses. As a (nearly) lifelong glasses wearer, I think about taking my glasses off when I get into bed at night, not when I'm taking my helmet off. If my glasses were over the straps, they'd end up on the ground every time the helmet came off. For me, vision over fashion for sure.
Old 06-02-17, 07:51 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by TimothyH
My guess is that you don't wear prescription glasses, that you don't need them to see. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm not sure if those who don't wear prescription glasses can understand the level of anxiety those who need them to see live with on a daily basis. Every time they come off my head they get smudged or twisted, or set down and forgotten, or fall on the floor, or shoved in a pocket...

It is far less stressful to just keep them on my face where they belong and allow the helmet to go on and off without messing with something which I am blind without.

-Tim-
I wear prescription glasses for distance sometimes, but not on the bike, as I have a fairly weak prescription and I haven't as yet bothered to get sports rx glasses. Also wear reading glasses sometimes depending on the material, but again, not on a bike.. I can still make out the important stuff on my garmin.
That said, I put my helmet on once, and my sunglasses on once when I get on the bike and ride. Then take them off when I stop. Then put them on again when I go again. Not sure I understand where the stress level you're intimating exists would come from? Stress would be having shards of broken glass or plastic shoved through my eyeball in the event of a bad accident. ymmv
Old 06-02-17, 08:28 PM
tmmgeekette

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
rm -rf, love the name. I'm a UNIX Engineer so I get the joke.

To answer the questions, I'm pretty sure my Rx glasses are made of glass.

I'll be honest, I don't like the idea of strapping my glasses on using a chums or croakie because #1- I take my glasses off to wipe a lot (but not while biking), and #2- If I only used it for biking then I'd have to put the thingy on my glasses then take it off again every time I went on a ride. BUT, If I found one that's easy to get on and off, then I'd probably use it. Another big pro for me using chums is that if my glasses ever fell off my face and crashed on the ground, I'd be sol. I can't see **** without them and might as well start feeling around with a cane. (Exaggeration, but you get the idea).

I just got an idea that there may be rubber ear thingies that fit on glasses permanently that would add friction and hug the face better around the ears. That may work better.

I still don't have a helmet (will get one by end of next week) so I dunno how I'll be wearing them under our over the straps. I know you're supposed to wear them over, but I'm not sure I could stand how that feels.

Coming from someone who had 2020 vision until late in my 30's, it SUCKS to be this blind. I don't even qualify for lasik. And never appreciated what a pain it is until now.

I can't get Rx sunglasses just yet so in the meantime Ill have to deal.
Old 06-02-17, 08:31 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Stress would be having shards of broken glass or plastic shoved through my eyeball in the event of a bad accident. ymmv
If I crash and my head hits the ground hard enough for shards of my polycarbonate ANSI 87.1 rated lenses to end up in my face, those shards are most likely the least of my worries.
Old 06-02-17, 10:24 PM
But its me 

Bikes: A few older US made Cannondales, a modern Soma Saga (no longer made, alas!), and one gifted crabon Specialized. Never enough.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by leob1
Check Zenni Otical for inexpensive rx sunglasses. You need to know your rx and PD. There are plenty of style and lens options to choose from. I have several pair from them, the work well.
When I absolutely don't want my glasses to come off, when I boating for example, I use Croakies, it keeps them on my head.
I'll second the Zenni Optical recommendation. For $30 I picked up a pair of single vision Rx sunglasses that work great for my rides. And at $30 I won't fret when I break them.
Old 06-02-17, 10:30 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,806 Times in 1,802 Posts
That "thrown clear" rationale for wearing glasses outside the helmet straps makes as much sense as not wearing a safety belt in a car, so you can be "thrown clear".

IOW, no sense at all. Certainly not with safety glasses.

Several years ago I tested various pairs of ANSI 87.1 safety glasses we had in the gear cabinet at work, before I wore them for inspections at construction and manufacturing sites. I shot them with BB guns, pellet guns, shotguns and .22 caliber LR. All lenses withstood multiple impacts. Some frames failed earlier than others -- some cracked after a single impact. The best combinations of lenses and frames withstood multiple impacts.

Remarkably, although not rated as safety glasses, my old Rayban Wayfarers purchased during the early 1980s withstood similar abuse -- just a tiny nick in one lens. Alas, I lost 'em around 2004 and never replaced them. No idea whether the currently available Wayfarers are comparably tough.

I'd rather have those in front of my eyes rather than "thrown clear".
Old 06-03-17, 03:37 AM
coominya

Bikes: Giant ToughRoad Giant talon

Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tmmgeekette
#2, I have sunglasses that are not prescription.
I use prescription contacts, the type you can leave in for 30 days. Takes all the effort out of it.
Old 06-03-17, 05:17 AM
tmmgeekette

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't do contacts because I suffer enough from allergies and itchy eyes that it would drive me insane to have to refrain from scratching. I wear bifocals too.

I've been looking on zenni optical since last night. I also might be eligible for Rx sunglasses thru my insurance (I thought I wasn't yet), but I usually still have to pay a couple hundred out of pocket so I'll keep looking at zenni optical to see what I might like. Thanks for that suggestion.
Old 06-03-17, 06:25 AM
bobwysiwyg

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Outside the straps is for people who don't need glasses. As a (nearly) lifelong glasses wearer, I think about taking my glasses off when I get into bed at night, not when I'm taking my helmet off. If my glasses were over the straps, they'd end up on the ground every time the helmet came off. For me, vision over fashion for sure.
This.
Old 06-03-17, 06:26 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I got blue block prescription sun glasses at Walmart for right around $100. Sitting upright on my bents I do not have a problem with them sliding down on my nose.
Old 06-03-17, 06:40 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
If I crash and my head hits the ground hard enough for shards of my polycarbonate ANSI 87.1 rated lenses to end up in my face, those shards are most likely the least of my worries.
True perhaps.. though you suggested to the OP wearing his glasses not just under the straps, but also held down under a beanie, without knowing what his lenses are made of.
Old 06-03-17, 06:49 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Wear your glasses under your helmet straps regardless of what the pros say. The helmet strap keeps them on. I've fallen many times in my youth and never had anything strike directly on my face. Taking your glasses on and off all the time risks you losing them or worse, stepping on them - something that will likely happen if you wear them over the straps and they fly off.

Wearing them under your helmet straps is a one-step procedure. Wearing them over the straps is a three-step procedure:take them off, put on your helmet, put them on again-with two hands. And you need to spread them apart to put them over the straps. Do you really want to wear out your frames just for sake of wearing them like the pros do?

Last edited by Daniel4; 06-03-17 at 07:03 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.