Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Best Shoe you've ever worn

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-17, 05:05 PM
lsberrios1 

Bikes: '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello!

I was wondering what's the best cycling shoe you've ever worn. I've had my fair share of cycling shoes and up to right now I've liked the S-Works 6 shoes the most. The list of shoes I've owned is the following:

* Shimano R087 - bought them a size too big since these were the ones I started with. They were good for rainy days, commuting and using super thick socks, not for performance riding.
* Specialized S-Works Road Shoe (2013) - Were pretty good but a little on the narrow side, half a size too small and required shimming since I was still getting used to doing longer distances and harder efforts as I gained fitness
* Bont Vaypor - bought them from the UK a size or 2 too small. Wore them for a few 1000 miles but suffered incredible pain. Did not return them because the shipping itself would have cost me the same I paid for the shoes.
* Mavic Cosmic Ultimate - Good shoe, however, the upper did not feel as stiff as the S-Works or the Bonts even. Very nice looking though.
* Giant Pulse - Good shoe for the $$$. VERY Comfy just not as stiff as I'd like it to be. Just being picky since I've ridden top end stuff.
* Specialized S-Works Sub6 - awesome shoe, just as comfy if not more than the SW6 but the only downfall was having to deal with laces. Made it a little difficult to put on and take off.
* Specialized S-Works 6 Torch - Awesome shoe, stiff, comfortable and sexy. Still may favorite as of right now.
* SIDI Shot - newest addition to the combo. Only ridden 8 miles on them so I can't give a verdict but the quality seems amazing right off the bat. I hope to enjoy them for quite a long time.

So tell me, what's your favorite shoe and why?

Cheers,
Luis
Old 06-05-17, 05:33 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Liked 1,558 Times in 1,022 Posts
My go-to shoes are my Giro ACC empires with laceups. But also bought a pair of these, as generally I'm a fan of black and white color schemes.. but found them really very comfortable.. you don't hear a lot of chatter about mavic shoes, but I think they're pretty decent.
Old 06-05-17, 05:46 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Liked 372 Times in 254 Posts
In the day, I had the wooden sole ones. I'd have to look them up. The sole just fit perfectly and absorbed sweat.
I had other good experiences.

These heat molded Shimanos (that I had heat molded) are very comfortable, but a bit small (got them free) and I wear them sockless, so they fit fine.

Kid thinks the Sub6 lace are the kind. He was asking me why no-one every thought of laces for cycling shoes before.
Old 06-05-17, 05:47 PM
lsberrios1 

Bikes: '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
you don't hear a lot of chatter about mavic shoes, but I think they're pretty decent.
I agree, they are pretty good and those ones are lookers for sure! Those are definitely very attractive.
Old 06-05-17, 06:13 PM
silversx80

Bikes: Lynskey R240, 2013 CAAD10

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Giro Factor HV. They fit so nice, with no hot spots, and the sole stiffer than a teenager's sock drawer.
Old 06-05-17, 06:27 PM
Pridedog
Gone Biking!

Bikes: Orbea Gain, Lynskey, Redline Conquest Disc, Bike Friday, Cannnondale T2 Tandem.

Liked 50 Times in 28 Posts
Sidi Megas.
Old 06-05-17, 06:31 PM
noodle soup

Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
In the day, I had the wooden sole ones. I'd have to look them up. The sole just fit perfectly and absorbed sweat
I'll guess you are thinking of Duegi shoes.

They fit me well too.
Old 06-05-17, 06:32 PM
enzo thecat

Bikes: 2017 Trek P1 Domane SLR 7, 2016 Boone SLR 7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So far the best shoe is the Specialized Audax road shoe which I recently purchased at my LBS. The cleats seem to be in just the right spot and the pedal is positioned perfectly under my foot. I feel like I can deliver power easily and efficiently. At the same time I bought a pair of Fi'zi:k shoes. On the Fi'zi:k shoes, the cleats are positioned too far inside and forward. My toes feel way more fatigued in the Fi'zi:k
Old 06-05-17, 06:32 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Liked 372 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
Originally Posted by Doge
In the day, I had the wooden sole ones. I'd have to look them up. The sole just fit perfectly and absorbed sweat
I'll guess you are thinking of Duegi shoes.

They fit me well too.
Yes they were.
Old 06-05-17, 06:39 PM
noodle soup

Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
you don't hear a lot of chatter about mavic shoes, but I think they're pretty decent
If you have a narrow foot, Mavic is a great choice.
Old 06-05-17, 06:44 PM
indyfabz

Liked 16,107 Times in 7,563 Posts
Size 12 Bruno Magli Lorenzo boots.
Old 06-06-17, 03:44 AM
kbarch

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So far, the best were the first ones I ever got - a higher-end pair from Specialized. Not their fanciest, but not cheap. Fit very well, and always comfy. Light and stiff-soled, but the uppers are sort of indifferent, and very soft above the toes. As they started to wear out, I picked up a pair from Sidi, having been familiar with that brand from motorcycling and made very happy with their boots. But these were from the bottom of their range. Still well-made, but not as comfy, and not as good an overall fit as I'd expected. Black - actually more like charcoal - with three velcro straps, they're also ugly. Currently I ride with a pair from Diadora. Kinda clunky, but once I put them on, I don't think about them again until I take them off, so I guess they're pretty good.
Street shoes are another story: still have a pair of Testoni oxfords I got about 15 years ago - it's like they were custom made for my feet.
Old 06-06-17, 03:57 AM
trekmogul 

Bikes: Salsa Beargrease XX1, Trek Eqnuinox 9.9 SSL, Trek Madone 6.9 ,Trek District Carbon, Trek Boone7, Trek Fuel EX9.0,Trek Fuel 9.5, Trek Rumblefish Pro, Trek Remedy 9.9, Trek Equinox7, Trek District Belt

Liked 82 Times in 45 Posts
Sidi Shot Vent Carbon Road Shoes

IMG_0690.jpg

IMG_0691.jpg

So far these are really working out for me..Great shoes and of the highest quality and craftsmanship.
Old 06-06-17, 04:47 AM
ReneV

Bikes: FM098-V2, '16 Synapse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lake CX301.

It may just be a fortunate coincidence but they fit my feet exactly and it's like I'm not wearing anything.

Last edited by ReneV; 06-06-17 at 04:54 AM.
Old 06-06-17, 06:38 AM
topflightpro

Liked 680 Times in 431 Posts
Riivo.
Old 06-06-17, 07:06 AM
SydneyFife

Bikes: Merlin Works Cr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gaerne. Like others have mentioned with Sidi, I have worn Gaerne motocross boots my whole life and they truly make beautiful cycling shoes.
Old 06-06-17, 07:07 AM
magikcat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
giro empire slx. Got this at a discount. Not only theyre comfortable but extremely light.
Old 06-06-17, 07:16 AM
waters60

Liked 108 Times in 63 Posts
The Imelda Marcos of bike shoes?!
You must be searching for the perfect shoe. My Sidi Genius give me almost ten years @ 5'000 miles per year. Their fit makes my feet happy. Shoes are like saddles.
Old 06-06-17, 07:28 AM
cycledogg

Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Sidi, once you go Sidi, you never go back. I have 5 pairs, starting with genius 3 now have Vent 3 as shown.

Sidi_Ergo3_Vent_Carbon_WhiteBlackRed.jpg
Old 06-06-17, 07:52 AM
Dopefish905

Bikes: Cervelo S3

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Giro empire Acc (laceups)

Huge fan of giro shoes and how they fit at least my foot, don't see me switching in the near future to anything else
Old 06-06-17, 08:02 AM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
So far a pair of NOS Bont a-three I originally bought from Performance on closeout:

Got them for $80 at the time. Great value and they have the heat moulding for the sole which is nice. Two moulding sessions later and they pretty much fit like a glove. Also bought them a half size bigger and was glad I did. Would go for another pair in a heartbeat but found that they are unavailable. If money was no object, then would probably go for a pair of D2 custom shoes. Maybe the Super Crit?

https://www.d2shoe.com/crit.php

But that's not happening for me as $750 is waaaay to rich...

Last edited by ptempel; 06-06-17 at 08:09 AM.
Old 06-06-17, 08:06 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Liked 3,609 Times in 2,357 Posts
'bout 15 yrs ago had a pair of Merrill waterproof summer light hiking boots. fit like a sneaker. sorry, not for cycling

looked like this (a bargain at $80!)
MERRELL Men's Moab Rover Mid WP Boots, Espresso

but had a Gore-Tex liner like this
Rugged Outdoors | Merrell Moab Mid Gore-Tex Men's
Old 06-06-17, 08:20 AM
redfooj
pluralis majestatis

Bikes: a DuhRosa

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
i hate the tongue on sidis. didnt even give them a chance to break in they just caused so much discomfort. like mavic cosmic ultimate very much
Old 06-06-17, 08:21 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Liked 3,107 Times in 1,418 Posts
S-Works. I'm on my 3d pair.
Old 06-06-17, 08:28 AM
Scarbo
Erik the Inveigler

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by waters60
My Sidi Genius give me almost ten years @ 5'000 miles per year. Their fit makes my feet happy. Shoes are like saddles.
+1

I'd agree with this. These shoes are not only comfortable but they last forever--you can't kill the things. I even have Sidi motorcycle boots.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.