Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

why in the world would you buy SRAM?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

why in the world would you buy SRAM?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-17, 12:07 PM
BikeLite

Liked 146 Times in 94 Posts
At first I would pronounce it S-RAM
Old 06-11-17, 06:34 PM
ypsetihw

Bikes: s-1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AndreyT
Ham-fisted, poor mechanical skills?

Because quality is notably higher.

Nope.

False, adjusts the same way as any other equipment.

A direct lie?

Quite the opposite, DoubleTap is a must.

Troll alert?

Huh? SRAM rules it all. Shimano is just... well... cheaper and inferior alternative.
after experimenting a bit, yes I was able to adjust it properly. not ham-fisted, as you suggest. the ergonomics of the hoods are very odd to me, and they don't fit my hands. not a troll here, but they do seem awkwardly narrow. while I was able to adjust the FD, there is, in what I can see, no front derailleur trim. (10 speed apex) are we talking about the same thing? because you can't adjust the trim as far as I can see.

higher quality? how so. provide a material example. rules it all? how so?

as to the comment about using some cable measuring device to adjust cable tension?! who the hell does that? like, not what shimano says, but who the hell ACTUALLY does that? nonsense.
Old 06-11-17, 06:55 PM
edthesped

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeLite
At first I would pronounce it S-RAM
Originally Posted by SkyDog75
Can't help you with the WTF part, but the YouTube video below demonstrates the pronunciation. (The "SR" is pronounced like Sri Lanka. The "AM" is like ample.)
And I thought it was S-Pam until I saw this video...

But seriously, I run Sram and Shimano and find I like Sram a little better than Shimano, except I prefer a road triple with brifters so when going for a brifter triple I have no choice but to seek out Shimano.
Old 06-11-17, 07:17 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Liked 801 Times in 591 Posts
My first, and only, experience with Sram is an ESP 3.0 system on my wife's 2006 Trek hybrid bike. I was disappointed to see it when I first bought the bike (used). And cheap grip shifters...ugh...

Turns out, I really like it. It's entry level Sram (X3 today), which is more-or-less the equal to Shimano Acera (which I have on my Trek hybrid). I don't know if it's the shifters themselves, or the longer 1:1 cable pull, but the shifting feel (the movement) is fluid smooth on this bike. I'm not talking about the feel of the chain meshing with the cogs (KMC chain with Sunrace freewheel), but rather the feel of the system when I command a shift. I'm used to trigger shfiters on Shimano derailleurs. You snap the trigger, it shifts. On the 1:1 grip shift, you get tactile feedback through the system, and it's a pleasant feeling. I don't know how to describe it...it almost feels like a more fluid analog action rather than a binary action with trigger shifters.

I presume the longer 1:1 cable pull has something to do with this. Pulling twice as much cable to move the derailleur one cog (as opposed to Shimano) probably also means there's less effort in doing so (mechanical advantage?) compared with Shimano.

I haven't ever used a Sram trigger shifter, or anything higher than X3, but I'm pretty pleased with how the X3 system performs on her Trek.
Old 06-11-17, 09:27 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Liked 512 Times in 387 Posts
Originally Posted by Jarrett2
Cuz it's better.
I like it too. Just because you and your local mechanics can't figure out how to make it work doesn't mean it doesn't.

Every few years somebody comes out with something new, and rather than approach it with an open mind many consumers and shop mechanics try to deal with it using the old rules and tricks, leading them to conclude the new stuff is just sh*t. Shimano's move from 9- to 10-speed shifting was one of these. Likewise, Shimano's 11-speed and Tiagra 4700. And Doubletap, which hasn't changed for 9 years, except for yaw and quality upgrades, continues to confound.
Old 06-12-17, 09:20 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Liked 1,057 Times in 636 Posts
I upgraded my Stratus to Sram7 several years ago. It is without a doubt the best shifting RD I have ever owned. It shifts quickly to all gears almost every time very quietly with no fuss at all. Pretty much what I would call flawless shifts.
Old 06-12-17, 09:25 AM
JagR

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac 2017 - TREK Madone - Cannondale CAPO

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To each their own...opinions are like ********!
Old 06-12-17, 09:43 AM
Wheever

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6 disk, 2016 Scott Big Jon Fat Bike

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
Also... Wth is the deal with strawberry ice cream? There's chocolate and vanilla and that ought to be good enough for everybody.
Oh, the deuce you say! Strawberry is the ONLY flavor I'll eat! Those other two flavors are crap!

(Actually, this is true. I only eat strawberry.)
Old 06-12-17, 10:27 AM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Wheever
Oh, the deuce you say! Strawberry is the ONLY flavor I'll eat! Those other two flavors are crap!

(Actually, this is true. I only eat strawberry.)
Have you ever even tried chocolate or vanilla?
Old 06-12-17, 10:43 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,363 Times in 868 Posts
Shimano does have a manufacturing city state and a number of other country factories to make components with fully automated machinery .

That's how they make parts by the millions, to fit on very low cost bikes.

They Sued Shimano, to get into the OEM factory builds..

then they bought out Sach of Germany, to take out a Competitor, Unbolted all the Production machinery ,

and put it on a ship to Taipei , now all of their stuff comes out of that manufacturing hub of the bike business.

Old 06-12-17, 11:57 AM
Camilo

Liked 1,407 Times in 903 Posts
Easy to adjust
Good quality at all price points
Cost/weight ratio
Most important, in fact the only important distinguishing point among all brands: Best ergonomics in both hood shape and shifting method (for me).
Old 06-12-17, 04:08 PM
neamatoad
forever shiny and chrome

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
easy to use, easy to set up, and they don't have a laundry list of dealer restrictions and conditions like shimano does these days...
Old 06-12-17, 04:43 PM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AndreyT
Quite the opposite, DoubleTap is a must.
Sorry, no. Doubletap is awful. All it does is complicates shifting.
Old 06-12-17, 04:48 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
In my very limited experience-- made that much less valuable by how niche my setup is-- DoubleTap beats the snot out of Shimano. Shifts up better, shifts down better, never ghost shifts. Shimano does not believe in a cog bigger than 32T on a road bike, so their components don't want to play that game. Nothing against Shimano-- I had zero complaints about 5700 or 6700 when I used them both extensively. Shimano just doesn't make parts to do what I want to do, and SRAM does. So for me, right now, SRAM is better. People need to know that it's okay to like more than one thing.
Old 06-12-17, 05:05 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Liked 3,753 Times in 2,792 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
People need to know that it's okay to like more than one thing.
That's just crazy talk. If that's okay, then how can I say that what I like is RIGHT and what you like MAKES YOU HITLER?
Old 06-13-17, 06:29 AM
edthesped

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JagR
To each their own...opinions are like ********!
Rosy?
Old 06-13-17, 06:40 AM
Fett2oo5

Bikes: '91 Klein Quantum

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just my 2 cents.....

SRAM should fix their levers and hoods to be more ergo (contact points are important!), and short throw.

Shimano should put interchangeable batteries on the derailleurs and shifters. The entire point of going wireless, is to go wireless. I don't want an octopus of power cables inside my frame.

BOTH of them need to bring down their MSRP considerably.

Last edited by Fett2oo5; 06-13-17 at 06:46 AM.
Old 06-13-17, 01:45 PM
cellery

Liked 31 Times in 12 Posts
OP, I think you want to rephrase your question as "why in the world would you buy sram 2x".

In the 1x world I don't see how one could even compare the Shimano stuff to sram's superior offering at every price level. Shimano doesn't even make a road shifter that is compatible clutch rear derailleur, or vice versa. Even the long cage road shimano stuff tops out at what, 32t? and it is still chainslap city unless you buy a bike with knobby tires and flat bars.

The two companies are doing different things. For the most part they appear to be targeting different markets. Shimano has got the 'top tube bags make your bike slow' crowd covered. and Sram has cornered the market that thinks front derailleurs look ugly. And I appreciate those options. Never had a problem, mechanically, with sram. But for the most part, both companies components work fine. Both have warranty issues from time to time. I have had two shimano shifters explode on me. Yes, doubletap can be frustrating sometimes - if you ride your bike once a month.
Old 06-13-17, 01:49 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Liked 2,150 Times in 1,402 Posts
I like their ratios on the 8x11-32 cassette better than Shimano.

They just came out with an Eagle 12x version of GX. Only $200 for the cassette! The hell with that.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 06-13-17, 01:56 PM
JagR

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac 2017 - TREK Madone - Cannondale CAPO

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by edthesped
Rosy?
??
Old 06-13-17, 02:08 PM
cellery

Liked 31 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
I like their ratios on the 8x11-32 cassette better than Shimano.

They just came out with an Eagle 12x version of GX. Only $200 for the cassette! The hell with that.
I do agree the xd driver cassettes are way, way overpriced. I struggle to understand the pricing on a wear/tear item - the xd casette have been around for years. You'd think economy of scale would have brought the price down by now; even the 11 speed replacements cost an arm and leg.
Old 06-13-17, 02:23 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Liked 633 Times in 436 Posts
I've used SRAM chains on my mountain bike for several years. They are reasonably priced and I've had no problems with them. I like the master link.

(Disclosure: I've used Wippermann chains on my road bike and KMC chains on my folders... and haven't had any problems with them either!)
Steve
Old 06-13-17, 04:07 PM
Harhir 

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3, HP Velotechnik Scorpion

Liked 143 Times in 76 Posts
I don't know much about the newer SRAM components but I have a Fichtel & Sachs 3x7 on my 23 year old daily commuter. This is basically the predecessor of the SRAM Dual Drive after Sachs was bought by SRAM.
This hub now failed after 23 years extensive use. Probably because of uneven tension through the spokes. I replaced it with another old but unused Sachs 3x7 which I found online. I love the concept of combining derailleurs with internal hubs. Especially for city driving since you can switch while standing and I am not sure if any other manufacturer has a similar product.
I just don't know how the new SRAM Dual drive compare to the older Fichtel & Sachs 3x7 quality wise. But the older internal hubs from Fichtel & Sachs are more or less bullet proof.
Old 06-13-17, 05:46 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Before getting into riding more regularly, I had an '03 Cannondale Adventure 1000, which had the DualDrive on it, 3x9 with a 38T single ring up front. I loved that shifting setup. All shifting done with one hand, and the 3-speed hub never gave me a single problem. If the frame had actually fit me worth a damn I might still have it.
Old 06-13-17, 06:16 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Liked 743 Times in 423 Posts
SRAM couldn't get their front derailleur to work right so they took it off and claimed 1x was the way to go!
Friends Don't Let Friends Ride SRAM.
SRAM used to be on department store bikes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.