Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Clicking Creaking rear wheel

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-17, 03:06 PM
valleyrider

Bikes: 2014 Trek Crossrip Elite, *mart Mongoose XR-150

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A couple days ago I went out for a ride on my 2014 Trek Crossrip, equipped with 9sp Sora, and when I was coasting it started making a loudish clicking creaking noise [video attached]. It sounded like it was coming from the rear wheel, especially since I was only coasting. I know my bottom bracket needs to be service really bad, but that shouldn't be the case. I knew my rear axle was a little loose and figured that might be the issue, so I took the opportunity to repack my hubs and get it all correctly tightened up. Did that, but it is still making that creaking clicking noise. I took my freehub off and it feels perfectly fine. The freehub is only a few months old and feels basically exactly like it did when I got it. Any ideas as to what the issue is? Everything works fine, shifting great, breaks great, etc. It's just this clicking and I don't feel comfortable taking it out on a longer ride without knowing why it is.

Kids, don't ride barefoot.

Video

Edit* It only makes this noise if I am riding. I have tried to replicate it off the bike but to no avail.

Last edited by valleyrider; 06-11-17 at 05:30 PM.
Old 06-11-17, 07:00 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF, Specialized Sirrus Gravel convert '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Liked 1,135 Times in 806 Posts
check your spokes... sounds like several are loose.... which would also explain why it only happens when you're riding the bike.

OR... you may have a cracked disc.... but that would probably make noise even when you're not riding.... A BENT disc could cause a clicking, too... by shifting the pads every time the bend engages to pads...

i'd check the spokes first.

one other thing... i recently found a bearing ball that had SPLIT IN HALF... but that wheel was on a Dirt jumper, with a maniac behind the bars.... that failure caused a non-rhthymic locking of the bearings when riding...no click, just binding in that case, though...

Last edited by maddog34; 06-11-17 at 07:08 PM.
Old 06-12-17, 06:44 AM
valleyrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maddog34
check your spokes... sounds like several are loose.... which would also explain why it only happens when you're riding the bike.
The issue is that it only makes noise while coasting (I did check the spokes, BTW). I feel like those things would all make noise whether I was coasting or not.
Old 06-12-17, 06:48 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
I assume that when you repacked the hub you verified and re-verified the freehub lock nut was tightened and correct?

Felt had an issue some years ago with this and it made a strange noise. The issue/damage was immediately evident when taking the hub apart though.
Old 06-13-17, 07:19 AM
valleyrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did check that. Now I have some time to swing it by the shop, so I guess I'll do that.