Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

3' Laws - No Statistical Safety Benefit

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

3' Laws - No Statistical Safety Benefit

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-17, 11:42 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Liked 633 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
I was just joking, as that title bears an amusing similarity to taglines that are being thrown back and forth in our society nowadays -- best leave it at that to avoid venturing into P&R...
Hahaha!
My humor sensor was in the shop.
Steve
Old 06-13-17, 11:49 AM
ItsJustMe
Seņior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
How many citizens monitor their legislation of their state to know when laws are changed in manners that affect them?
Heck, most motorists don't remember half the laws that were in effect when they were first licensed. Cops don't even keep up with the law regarding cyclists.
Old 06-13-17, 01:02 PM
CliffordK

Liked 4,676 Times in 3,458 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
TLDR whole paper, which reads like a typical scientific study paper--long and boring, but a few thoughts on the summary:

1. Though the paper found no significant impact on cyclist fatality there was no mention of injury or crash, and given that rear end collisions are rare to begin with, the fail to account for that. This, IMO, makes the study almost much less irrelevant.

A study on whether MDPL reduces crashes and injuries would be much more relevant, and I would suspect that researchers would indeed find a significant difference. Data on this is much harder to come by than cyclist fatalities alone simply because most of the incidents go unreported, especially if there is little or no injury resulting from the crash.

2. A study like this might lead lawmakers who might be thinking of implementing MDPL to rethink it, or worse, for states that already have MDPL to abolish it, which is a HUGE mistake. Motorists would be given carte blanche to buzz drivers with impunity.

MDPL is a good idea, even if it is near impossible to enforce.

I'd be interested to see what others would have to say.
There are two ways to study the phenomenon. Compare states with minimum distance pass laws (MDPLs) to those without. Or, do a before & after study (hopefully with recently passed laws).

It has already been noted that states like Florida have accident rates that are outrageously high, probably due to a combination of factors including optimum cycling weather, and more retirees on bikes and in cars. So, Florida could potentially bias the studies towards whatever law has been passed.

A before & after study would be a much better way to study the phenomenon, using control states to help account for nationwide changes in cycling trends. Ideally one would do say 5 years before and 5 years after implementation of the law or so.

As far as single accident type or all accident types. Yes, the just riding along rear-end accidents are the most critical for passing lane distance laws. Left Turn rear-end accidents would also have to be excluded. However, passing distance laws could also be associated with greater cyclist and driver awareness, and ideally would affect all accident types.

Actually, it is my belief that Oregon's pedestrian crosswalk laws have positively benefited cyclists by increasing driver awareness and courtesy of "vulnerable road users", whether or not bicycles are specifically mentioned.

Still, one would have to look at the types of fatal (or serious injury) passing accidents.

The majority likely fall into what the British call the SMIDSY (sorry mate I didn't see you) accidents. Passing lane distance laws just won't help the incidents related to inattentive divers or camouflaged riders. Or perhaps riders that move from off the roadway onto the roadway.

There are likely a few mirror clearance related injuries, or perhaps vehicles pulling trailers wider than the tow vehicles that would be affected by passing distance laws. Do those accidents tend to propel riders into a ditch?

Or bicycle swerved for reason X (road debris, car door, inattention, etc). These are probably the ones most likely affected by the passing lane
Old 06-13-17, 04:53 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Originally Posted by CliffordK
There are likely a few mirror clearance related injuries, or perhaps vehicles pulling trailers wider than the tow vehicles that would be affected by passing distance laws. Do those accidents tend to propel riders into a ditch?
The first "Ride of Silence" was organized in memory of Larry Schwartz, who was killed by a bus mirror on May 4, 2003. (::Ride of Silence:: History
This is the best reason I can think of for using a rear-view mirror. You're likely to get more than propulsion into a ditch if you're hit from behind by something moving several times your speed. If there's a way to tell by sound that the vehicle approaching from the rear has an outrigger mirror or is pulling a wide load, I'd like to know what it is. IMO, riding in traffic without a mirror is a lot like playing Russian Roulette. Yet mirror use is not that common... even on Rides of Silence I've seen images of.
Steve
Old 06-13-17, 06:29 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
A study should check accident statistics somewhere that actually enforces the law. If such place exists. That an unenforced law is almost meaningless should come as no surprise.
Old 06-13-17, 06:57 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
That's actually not unreasonable. Many of the roads I and cycling acquaintances ride are two-lane rural highways, what used to be called farm to market roads. In ye olden days when I was a wee lad it wasn't unusual to encounter slow moving farm equipment on those roads. It was common knowledge that drivers were expected to yield to those slower moving vehicles and pass safely -- ."
I guess I have to disagree. Not because it shouldn't be this way, but because reality wins out. A lowly cyclist is never going to equate to a tractor towing hay bales, or some other farm implement. As to precision and statistics supporting minimum passing distances, just think of them as educational tools for four wheelers and an opportunity for awareness.
Old 06-13-17, 07:58 PM
CrankyOne

Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
Or perhaps:
Originally Posted by sweeks
IMO, riding in traffic [strike]without a mirror[/strike] is a lot like playing Russian Roulette.
Old 06-14-17, 05:55 AM
sweeks

Originally Posted by CrankyOne
Or perhaps:
IMO, riding in traffic () is a lot like playing Russian Roulette.
I see what you did there!

But I've been riding in Chicago city traffic for 15 years without a problem involving motorists. I feel comfortable in traffic, and the rear-view mirror is a major contributor to that.
Steve
Old 06-14-17, 06:56 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Liked 410 Times in 236 Posts
But I've been riding in Chicago city traffic for 15 years without a problem involving motorists. I feel comfortable in traffic, and the rear-view mirror is a major contributor to that.
Steve
I've been using a helmet-mounted mirror for the past couple of years. The only time I don't use it is when I ride to the local grocery store, but only because I don't bother wearing a helmet.

The most useful thing about the mirror is for changing lanes when making left turns. Also useful for looking out for motorists who might potentially right-hook you...And for inconspicuously observing people.
Old 06-14-17, 07:27 AM
sweeks

Originally Posted by mcours2006
The most useful thing about the mirror is for changing lanes when making left turns. Also useful for looking out for motorists who might potentially right-hook you...And for inconspicuously observing people.
I am constantly sweeping the road ahead with my eyes, and the mirror gets a glance every few seconds. I see cars coming up behind me long before I can hear them. This helps, as you say, in planning left turns. I like to actually look over my shoulder before turning though... just in case something wasn't in the mirror.

My commuter bike has a round bar-end mirror (Third Eye); on the road bike I use a Third Eye mirror which mounts on my glasses. I've found this kind more stable than the helmet mount; as well, the glasses-mounted mirror is closer to the rider's eye, which allows a wider rear field of view for a given size of mirror. Both glasses-mount and helmet-mount have the advantage over a fixed mirror that by moving the rider's head the whole area behind the bike can be scanned.
Steve
Old 06-14-17, 08:34 AM
Joe Minton

Bikes: Gary Fisher Hi-Fi Deluxe, Giant Stance, Cannondale Synapse, Diamondback 8sp IGH, 1989 Merckx

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have noticed that drivers give me more room when they pass now that the 3' rule applies here in California.

As others have stated, indirectly perhaps, correlation is not causation. Still, I am sure there has been a change in driver behavior in my area since implementation of the 3’ rule.

Joe
Old 06-14-17, 10:53 AM
AngeloDolce

Bikes: Many English 3 Speeds

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I'm mildly curious as the OP's interpretation of the article, or intent with the post.

Otherwise, the issues with these laws (major loopholes allowing passing less than the "mandatory" distance, no enforcement, and variation among different laws) would make it surprising if the study did find any impact.

I'd also expect any impacts to vary significantly by location and to include any potential changes to actual passing distance and collisions without fatalities. It looks like the study recognized that these may exist, but made no effort to quantify them since the fatality data was easier to find
Old 06-14-17, 11:02 AM
Joe Minton

Bikes: Gary Fisher Hi-Fi Deluxe, Giant Stance, Cannondale Synapse, Diamondback 8sp IGH, 1989 Merckx

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Community is the answer. When we accept, respect and understand one another, practical roadway rules are easy. This is the great truth that the Scandinavian countries have embraced; they work together for the common good.

Joe
Old 06-14-17, 02:20 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Liked 223 Times in 135 Posts
Riding in northern Italy - filtering and in lane passing is the norm. Perfectly safe, since most drivers do, or used to ride bicycles, scooters and motorcycles. No right hooks, no "sorry, didn't see you situations".

Safe passing distance depends on speed and speed difference. 1.5 m passing distance is nonsense IMO. Driver education is the way to go.