Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

front derailed blues

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

front derailed blues

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-17, 02:23 PM
Meekers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
front derailed blues

I have broken my FD (tiagra 3x9 speed), purely metal fatigue. I don't want this to happen again, so I was wondering if there is a more robust option. Would an XT mountain front derailer work on a triple road bike?
Old 06-11-17, 02:31 PM
Rowan

Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
No. The MTB derailleurs have a different pull ratio to the road derailleurs.

You will need a road triple to work with road levers if Shimano, and you will need a 9sp one, not the newest offering (10 or 11 speed).

Where did the Tiagra break? You cannot guarantee anything will not break.

As a by-the-by, I have Tiagra triple derailleurs on two bikes, at least, and have had no issues with breaking other than a bolt through one of the linkages way back when. I used a replacement bolt and nut provided by my ride partner for that roadside repair, and the derailleur has gone on to do several tens of thousands of kilometres since.
Old 06-11-17, 11:14 PM
Doug64

Liked 860 Times in 444 Posts
IMO the Tiagra (4503) is one of the most versatile front derailleurs for touring; it is easy to adjust, handles a wide range of gearing, and is robust. They are also hard to find. I picked up 2 spares a couple of years ago to keep our touring bike fleet going. Like Rowan, we have put thousands of miles on Tiagra FDs and have not had any problems. We use Tiagra FDs on all our touring bikes, including my wife's, mine and our kids' bikes.

The Tiagra 4503 is more robust than the Tiagra 4403. What model do you have?

Last edited by Doug64; 06-11-17 at 11:21 PM.
Old 06-12-17, 07:56 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Liked 1,589 Times in 1,230 Posts
If your shifter is friction, many different derailleurs would work fine. But if you have an indexed shifter, you could easily have the wrong cable pull with other derailleurs.

I have three bikes with road triples that have the "wrong" front derailleurs, but they work fine with my friction shifters.
Old 06-12-17, 09:10 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Liked 4,537 Times in 2,522 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64
IMO the Tiagra (4503) is one of the most versatile front derailleurs for touring; it is easy to adjust, handles a wide range of gearing, and is robust. They are also hard to find. I picked up 2 spares a couple of years ago to keep our touring bike fleet going. Like Rowan, we have put thousands of miles on Tiagra FDs and have not had any problems. We use Tiagra FDs on all our touring bikes, including my wife's, mine and our kids' bikes.

The Tiagra 4503 is more robust than the Tiagra 4403. What model do you have?
I have like, and recommended, Tiagras in the past but after several failures, I'm not so sure anymore. The aluminum tab that holds the spring tension tends to break. I've lost 3 to 5 of them (can't remember exactly) in the last 3 years on my bikes as well as my daughter's bike. I've been moving away from them for that reason.

I do have a Microshift version and an IRD Alpina on a couple of bikes. The Microshift are pretty good but I'm not that much of a fan of the Alpina.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 06-14-17, 12:36 PM
wnylogo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After reading this thread, it diagnosed my problem. I see that the tab that holds the spring tension is broken on my 9 speed Tiagra triple front derailleur. I've been riding my 2008 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 on just the big chainring in front because it wouldn't shift. Closer inspection found the broken tab. The crank was changed to a 26-36-48 M590 crankset and have the original 11-32t cassette. Would a new Shimano Deore M590 9-Speed Triple "Top-Swing Dual-Pull" front derailleur work to replace the Tiagra? Would really appreciate help!
Old 06-14-17, 01:09 PM
Doug64

Originally Posted by wnylogo
After reading this thread, it diagnosed my problem. I see that the tab that holds the spring tension is broken on my 9 speed Tiagra triple front derailleur. I've been riding my 2008 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 on just the big chainring in front because it wouldn't shift. Closer inspection found the broken tab. The crank was changed to a 26-36-48 M590 crankset and have the original 11-32t cassette. Would a new Shimano Deore M590 9-Speed Triple "Top-Swing Dual-Pull" front derailleur work to replace the Tiagra? Would really appreciate help!
Probably not with the STI shifters.
Old 06-14-17, 01:58 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Liked 738 Times in 469 Posts
I have a used 9-speed triple 105 derailleur sitting in my closet. It is an FD-5503 with 31.8 mm clamp on.

Do you guys think that would work for the OP?

If so, and only if the OP is in the lower 48 states, I would be willing to send it for free + shipping cost, or a small donation to a charity of my choice.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 06-14-17 at 02:14 PM.
Old 06-14-17, 02:35 PM
Doug64

Originally Posted by TimothyH
I have a used 9-speed triple 105 derailleur sitting in my closet. It is an FD-5503 with 31.8 mm clamp on.

Do you guys think that would work for the OP?

If so, and only if the OP is in the lower 48 states, I would be willing to send it for free + shipping cost, or a small donation to a charity of my choice.

-Tim-
Yes it should work, and he can get shims to allow use on most steel seat tubes (28.6 I think).
Old 06-14-17, 05:38 PM
wnylogo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been searching for a caliper to measure my seat tube. I want to be sure it is not greater than 31.8mm. Will be back...
Old 06-14-17, 06:58 PM
Doug64

I have been searching for a caliper to measure my seat tube. I want to be sure it is not greater than 31.8mm. Will be back...

Do you have a large adjustable wrench? It will work.
Old 06-14-17, 08:02 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Are @Meekers and @Wnylogo the same person?

Anyway, send a PM and let me know. I'll be happy to put it in an envelope and send it to a new home where it can get some use.

It is sitting right next to my keyboard as I type this and still has dirt from the last ride it did July 2016 before I upgraded LOL. Now I'm getting nostalgic.

Old 06-14-17, 08:11 PM
wnylogo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No, we are not the same person! Just very busy with end of school exams and home projects. PM on the way...
Old 06-16-17, 12:12 PM
HDavidH
David H.

Bikes: 92 Koga-Myata road bike, 07' Gunnar Rockhound 29'er mtb, 06' Kona Cinder Cone 69'er Gravel Bike, Windsor 8 spd IGH steel commuter, 99' Trek 520 tourer, Minnesota 1.0 Fatbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
No. The MTB derailleurs have a different pull ratio to the road derailleurs.

You will need a road triple to work with road levers if Shimano, and you will need a 9sp one, not the newest offering (10 or 11 speed).

Where did the Tiagra break? You cannot guarantee anything will not break.

As a by-the-by, I have Tiagra triple derailleurs on two bikes, at least, and have had no issues with breaking other than a bolt through one of the linkages way back when. I used a replacement bolt and nut provided by my ride partner for that roadside repair, and the derailleur has gone on to do several tens of thousands of kilometres since.
You are mistaken about the pull ratios. They are exactly the same Shimano road or Shimano MTB.
Campagnolo to Shimano is different but not Shimano road to Shimano MTB.
Here are two of my working examples:
1999 Trek 520 tourer with Ultegra brifters and a Deore long cage MTB rear de to accomodate a 34 tooth.
2006 Kona Cinder Cone MTB frame built as a 69'er Gravel bike with an XT long cage rear de, Deore MTB fron De and Shimano Sora road brifters on drop bars.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Trek 520 long cage.JPG (90.9 KB, 114 views)
Kona Gravel Grinder.jpg (90.3 KB, 114 views)
Old 06-19-17, 08:06 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Liked 4,537 Times in 2,522 Posts
Originally Posted by HDavidH
You are mistaken about the pull ratios. They are exactly the same Shimano road or Shimano MTB.
Campagnolo to Shimano is different but not Shimano road to Shimano MTB.
Here are two of my working examples:
1999 Trek 520 tourer with Ultegra brifters and a Deore long cage MTB rear de to accomodate a 34 tooth.
2006 Kona Cinder Cone MTB frame built as a 69'er Gravel bike with an XT long cage rear de, Deore MTB fron De and Shimano Sora road brifters on drop bars.
For 9 speed and older the pull ratios on rear derailers is the same and they work quite well. But the discussion is about front derailers. Those have never been the same in the indexed era. Some people have been able to get mountain fronts and STI to work but it's tricky and the results are usually not worth the effort.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 06-19-17, 09:13 AM
HDavidH
David H.

Bikes: 92 Koga-Myata road bike, 07' Gunnar Rockhound 29'er mtb, 06' Kona Cinder Cone 69'er Gravel Bike, Windsor 8 spd IGH steel commuter, 99' Trek 520 tourer, Minnesota 1.0 Fatbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
For 9 speed and older the pull ratios on rear derailers is the same and they work quite well. But the discussion is about front derailers. Those have never been the same in the indexed era. Some people have been able to get mountain fronts and STI to work but it's tricky and the results are usually not worth the effort.
Perhaps there are instances where your info is correct but my limited experience suggests otherwise. Here is my 06 Kona with a Deore long cage rear and an MTB XT front derailleur working perfectly with it's current old but slick Shimano Sora road brifters. Before this I had Ultegra brifters on it while waiting for the ebay purchased Sora's (borrowing from one bike to ride the other for awhile). It is not tricky. There was no effort. Previous to this old but great bio-pace 3-ring crank I had a road front crank just to see how it handled but I needed the lower gears so put this on. Either crank had the same spacing. Either crank and it's 3 rings shifted perfectly with the XT front de. The spacing on a front chain ring is the same be it a road or MTB so the indexing/travel length is the same. Strange that your info is different.
Attached Images
Kona Gravel Grinder.jpg (90.3 KB, 99 views)
Old 06-19-17, 09:53 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,363 Times in 868 Posts
replace.

Originally Posted by Meekers
I have broken my FD (tiagra 3x9 speed), purely metal fatigue. I don't want this to happen again, so I was wondering if there is a more robust option. Would an XT mountain front derailer work on a triple road bike?

just get another tiagra for triples. they're quite adequate, nothing is perfect, (Made by the Millions)

Old 06-19-17, 07:21 PM
wnylogo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shout out to TimothyH... Was surprised to receive your derailleur in the mail today! Very much appreciated. Will be heading out to find a shim at a bike shop tomorrow. Pictures will be posted after install completed. PM on the way.
Old 06-19-17, 11:52 PM
Western Flyer 

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone gravel bike Dahon MU folder w/2x8 speed internal drive train

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Meekers

I’ve been shifting with an Interloc Alpina FD for maybe 35,000 Km. I’m running a 46,32,22 chainset which is 2 teeth over the stated capacity. It up shifts better than the 105 FD it replaced.

- Gordon Hempton: One Square inch of Silence
Old 06-20-17, 07:16 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Shout out to TimothyH... Was surprised to receive your derailleur in the mail today! Very much appreciated. Will be heading out to find a shim at a bike shop tomorrow. Pictures will be posted after install completed. PM on the way.

Old 06-24-17, 01:35 PM
wnylogo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Took longer than I anticipated. Went to three bike shops to find an appropriate shim. No luck. Ditched the diy tin can route. Found Topeak handlebar bag mount adapters in my bike parts bin. Fits like a glove to the derailleur clamp. Went for a few test rides, had to make a few minor adjustments. It's working!
Thanks so much again Timothy!!
Attached Images
der install 2.jpg (98.2 KB, 54 views)
der install 3.jpg (98.7 KB, 55 views)
Old 06-25-17, 06:40 AM
bikenh

Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
To the OP did the derailleur brake or did it seize up on you. I had mine seize up on me, actually started last year to the point where I could only get it to down shift by unclipping and using my foot to push it over. After not riding that bike this winter, keep the good bike good, when I switched back over to the bike this spring I found I couldn't even upshift with it. After finally fighting with tons I managed to break the corrosion free and got the shifter back working again.

Did You shifter flat out break or did it just seize up and you need to clean it, work the sucker over to break the corrosion free?