Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

How to tell what spoke nipple on Mavic Ksyrium Elite 2009

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-17, 07:04 PM
ypsetihw

Bikes: s-1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just picked up a pair of mavic ksyrium elites locally with low miles and nice hubs with little wear for $100. they look great, and are a full pound lighter than my previous set. I find them to be pleasant to ride, and smoother while climbing, with less of the "lurch" of acceleration than my aero alloy set.

the rear wheel is ever so slightly out of true (just a mm or two). it doesn't rub the brakes, but I'm picky with my brakes, and I wish the rear had the bite/feel/modulation of the front which rides perfectly true.

of course has proprietary spokes and nipples, and several nipples at that. the serial number on the wheels indicates a ksyrium elite 09, silver, stainless spokes, and the product catalog shows M7 nipples. when you look at the wheels however, they are very obviously 6 spline, NOT 7 spline, as the M7 is supposed to be. on top of that, the 6 spline models come in multiple widths.

/tldr I don't currently own a mavic spoke wrench, but I'm happy to buy one, I just don't know which one! I can find the "M7" spoke wrench, but it is for 7 spline nipples and mine have 6 (even though the product catalog states it should be M7). without testing it out, I don't know how to tell which size 6 spline tool to buy. advice please!
Old 07-03-17, 12:46 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF, Specialized Sirrus Gravel convert '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Liked 1,135 Times in 806 Posts
take your wheel to a well stocked bike shop... have them match a spoke tool to your wheel's spoke nipples.