Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Random Loud clunking noises

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-17, 03:20 PM
MyNameIsRay

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

complete noob here (will be apparent when you read on )

So my freewheel broke, it stopped giving power in both directions.
Fixing it seemed a little complicated so I bought a new one and replaced it.

When replacing it I, I couldn't work out how to remove the old freewheel (turns out it didn't have any slots to remove it with a tool and I ended up using a pipe wrench to remove it) and I removed the rear axle.

I replaced the freewheel with a new one and put the rear axle back in place and set the bike up. But when I rode it the wheel was a bit loose because I didn't tighten the axle up properly. I took the axle off and saw that one side was missing a bearing and some of them are a bit dented.

I cleaned the bearings and axle, greased them, tightened the axle up again so that it spins but doesn't move sideways. Now it rides but then randomly (not periodically) it makes a loud clunking noise, so I've stopped riding it.

I've ordered new bearings and I am going to replace them when they arrive. But do you think this will fix it or have done some more serious damage in my attempt at self repair?

On the plus side, I'm learning
Old 07-11-17, 02:03 AM
seboros

Bikes: Bianchi Rekord 839, Francesco Moser 51.151, a red Olmo, Raleigh Team Panasonic, Bianchi SL470, Gazelle Superieur

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Hi, MyNameIsRay!

From what you say, you have a loose bearings hub with cups and adjustable cones. The races that the balls ride on, both on the cups and on the cones, must be in good shape in order for the hub to spin smoothly. I would dissasemble the hub again, clean the left and right cups and cones, and check for any signs of pitting. If the cones are pitted, get some new ones. If the races are pitted, get a new hub. Of course, the bearing balls must also be pristine. If the cups and cones are allright, stop riding until new bearing balls arrive (make sure you order the same size balls), clean everything, pack with grease, adjust the cones so that there is no play in the wheel but also no drag from over-tightening the cones and see how it spins then.
Old 07-11-17, 02:34 AM
MyNameIsRay

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seboros
Hi, MyNameIsRay!

From what you say, you have a loose bearings hub with cups and adjustable cones. The races that the balls ride on, both on the cups and on the cones, must be in good shape in order for the hub to spin smoothly. I would dissasemble the hub again, clean the left and right cups and cones, and check for any signs of pitting. If the cones are pitted, get some new ones. If the races are pitted, get a new hub. Of course, the bearing balls must also be pristine. If the cups and cones are allright, stop riding until new bearing balls arrive (make sure you order the same size balls), clean everything, pack with grease, adjust the cones so that there is no play in the wheel but also no drag from over-tightening the cones and see how it spins then.
Thanks! One of the cones is definitely a bit misshapen as it doesn't lie perfectly flush. I'll have to have a look how the cups are.

Will any cone work or will I need a specific type (or size) for my bike?

My cones are like the ones here:
amazon.co.uk/QUICK-RELEASE-CONVERSION-SKEWER-SPORTS/dp/B01G6YQ2VY/ref=sr_1_39?ie=UTF8&qid=1499761297&sr=8-39&keywords=bike+cones

Last edited by MyNameIsRay; 07-11-17 at 02:38 AM.
Old 07-11-17, 02:48 AM
seboros

Bikes: Bianchi Rekord 839, Francesco Moser 51.151, a red Olmo, Raleigh Team Panasonic, Bianchi SL470, Gazelle Superieur

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Indeed, a misaligned cone invites for a tight spot. I would replace the axle, too (maybe it is bent). You'll need a similar sized and angled cone. The link you provided shows a front wheel axle, which is different from a back wheel axle. I would take the axle and cones to a bike shop nearby and see if they can get a replacement. What hub do you have?
Old 07-11-17, 03:09 AM
seboros

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I would take the axle and cones to a bike shop nearby and see if they can get a replacement.
If that doesn't work, take a caliper and measure the diameter of the cone and the length. And then you can search online for similar cones. Though I'm no expert regarding cones, I've had good results swapping similar looking cones from one hub to another.
Old 07-11-17, 05:56 AM
MyNameIsRay

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Indeed, a misaligned cone invites for a tight spot. I would replace the axle, too (maybe it is bent). You'll need a similar sized and angled cone. The link you provided shows a front wheel axle, which is different from a back wheel axle. I would take the axle and cones to a bike shop nearby and see if they can get a replacement. What hub do you have?
Not sure if you can tell from the image what hub it is. I can take a better image when I get home from work
imgur.com/a/Zkalj

edit:
its the same as this bike, you can see the hub on the 3rd image,
amazon.co.uk/d/Bikes-Cycling-Equipment/Trakbike-Fixipro-Single-Speed-Fixed-Bicycle-ORANGE/B017V818E0

(can't post links or add images until I have 10 posts)

Last edited by MyNameIsRay; 07-11-17 at 06:30 AM.
Old 07-11-17, 07:50 AM
seboros

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
You can search on Wheelsmfg for new cones, or at least find some information there. They also recommend taking your cones to the LBS or measure them yourself.

Could your hub be made by Quando? There's a discussion here where you could find something useful.

If you can't find a suitable cone, or if the races are pitted, or if the cones are pricey, then maybe you should search for a new hub. There are plenty flip-flop hubs on sealed bearings, very good and quite cheap, from Formula, Sturmey Archer, Novatec. If you want to keep it on a tight budget, find a hub with the diameter of the spoke holes in the flange similar to yours, so that you can reuse your spokes.

But you may be lucky and find a replacement cone. I love to service cup&cone hubs, as opposed to cartridge bearings hubs, where you just replace the cartridge bearings.

Last edited by seboros; 07-11-17 at 07:59 AM.
Old 07-18-17, 02:38 AM
MyNameIsRay

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can search on Wheelsmfg for new cones, or at least find some information there. They also recommend taking your cones to the LBS or measure them yourself.

Could your hub be made by Quando? There's a discussion here where you could find something useful.

If you can't find a suitable cone, or if the races are pitted, or if the cones are pricey, then maybe you should search for a new hub. There are plenty flip-flop hubs on sealed bearings, very good and quite cheap, from Formula, Sturmey Archer, Novatec. If you want to keep it on a tight budget, find a hub with the diameter of the spoke holes in the flange similar to yours, so that you can reuse your spokes.

But you may be lucky and find a replacement cone. I love to service cup&cone hubs, as opposed to cartridge bearings hubs, where you just replace the cartridge bearings.
Thanks a lot for your help!

I finally found time to replace the bearings. I cleaned everything first, and there is a very small dent on the inside of the wheel where the bearings lay. There is a small dent on one of the cones. I still greased it and added new bearings and tightened it up properly and it seemed to ride fine this morning on the 20 minutes cycle to work. But I don't trust it anymore

The bike was only £100 new and £80 when I bought it second hand so I don't want to spend much more on it, even though it needs a new wheel and cones. Recently replaced the freewheel, bearings, inner tube, brakes and pedals. Might be time to put it on Gumtree

But for now, at least I don't have to walk to work and next time I'll know how to fix it without chewing up the wheel