Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Anyone used as ISM Adamo Touring Saddle?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-17, 04:21 PM
5kdad

Bikes: Felt Z100 road bike, Schwinn Frontier, Salsa Marrakesh, box-store tandem, and Sun Recumbent trike.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm over 50 (actually, I'm 60), overweight, and am looking for a more "prostate friendly" saddle for my mountain bike. I don't actually do mountain biking, it's the bike I ride on our rural Arkansas dirt roads, and is my "touring" bike when I've done a few overnight trips.
Currently i have Brooks sprung saddles on both my road and mt bikes, and really like them. But due to some prostate issues, I need something different.
Yeah, I know, this saddle looks sort of odd. I have an Adamo Breakaway on loan from the LBS, but finding it very uncomfortable. Yes, I know, supposed to take a while to get accustomed to a new saddle, and may be a bit difficult to get this one properly "dialed" in, but I am thinking for about $60, i wouldn't mind to try the touring saddle.
Any "real life" experience with the Adamo touring saddle?
Old 07-12-17, 07:57 AM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Liked 246 Times in 182 Posts
No, but you might want to look at the Reprieve saddle. You don't have to give up the nose of the saddle (very helpful in bike handling). Should do what your looking for. They have a 30 day trial. You ought to be able to get in enough miles in that time to see if it works.

It's built to be anatomically compatible and you can adjust the firmness. I have two of these now.

J.

Last edited by JohnJ80; 07-12-17 at 08:01 AM.
Old 07-12-17, 09:27 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Liked 2,814 Times in 1,808 Posts
A friend recently switched to an ISM saddle after experiencing some persistent saddle sores. No idea what, specifically, was sore. He's riding long distances fast again so I'm assuming it's working.

If you basically liked the Brooks saddles they and Selle make carved leather saddles with cutouts to relieve pressure on the urethra, etc. I've taken only short rides around the block on friends' bikes equipped with those saddles, not really enough to tell how they'd be over a long ride. But the Selle Anatomica was immediately comfy. Felt like a hammock, in a good way. Due to limited mobility in my back and neck I tend to sit in a saddle rather than on it. So the scoop designs and those with pressure relief feel most comfortable to me. I'll never be seriously fast so I'm willing to sacrifice some efficiency for comfort.

FWIW, my two main bikes -- 1980s road racing bike and 1990s mountain bike -- both have Lycra fabric over dense foam saddles. Very comfortable, especially in summer because they breathe. Sweat transfers to the saddle so I don't get swamp butt. And the saddles air dry quickly. They're so comfortable I usually don't need padded shorts. Just Champion tech fabric boxer/briefs under baggies. Serfas Tailbones use this design.
Old 07-12-17, 12:11 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by 5kdad
I'm over 50 (actually, I'm 60), overweight, and am looking for a more "prostate friendly" saddle for my mountain bike. I don't actually do mountain biking, it's the bike I ride on our rural Arkansas dirt roads, and is my "touring" bike when I've done a few overnight trips.
Currently i have Brooks sprung saddles on both my road and mt bikes, and really like them. But due to some prostate issues, I need something different.
Yeah, I know, this saddle looks sort of odd. I have an Adamo Breakaway on loan from the LBS, but finding it very uncomfortable. Yes, I know, supposed to take a while to get accustomed to a new saddle, and may be a bit difficult to get this one properly "dialed" in, but I am thinking for about $60, i wouldn't mind to try the touring saddle.
Any "real life" experience with the Adamo touring saddle?
Did you view and follow the videos on the ISM website on how to correctly mount the saddle and where to correctly sit on one?
Old 07-12-17, 05:10 PM
Joe Minton

Bikes: Gary Fisher Hi-Fi Deluxe, Giant Stance, Cannondale Synapse, Diamondback 8sp IGH, 1989 Merckx

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Long Story Short:

I am 75 years old.

Fifty to fifty-five years ago, I was a bicycle road racer. I achieved “expert” status (which would now be Cat 1).

I always had problems with perineum pressure (numbness/pain/etc.). In those days there were no options, other than turning the saddle a bit to the right, which I did. The rightward position allowed me to place my Boy Parts a little out of harm’s way (to the left). Many professional riders still do this.

**There is no demonstrably good reason to continue this practice --- No One should be required to ride their bike while sitting on the equivalent on an axe handle.

I now ride two ISM “Prologue” saddles (current version: PL-1.1) and one Cobb “Randee”. Both designs completely eliminate pressure on my ‘boy parts’; I can ride each of them all-day without any perineum pain whatsoever. ---- Wish I coulda had them when I was racing!

Hope this helps ---.

Joe
Old 07-13-17, 12:08 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Minton
Long Story Short:

I am 75 years old.

Fifty to fifty-five years ago, I was a bicycle road racer. I achieved “expert” status (which would now be Cat 1).

I always had problems with perineum pressure (numbness/pain/etc.). In those days there were no options, other than turning the saddle a bit to the right, which I did. The rightward position allowed me to place my Boy Parts a little out of harm’s way (to the left). Many professional riders still do this.

**There is no demonstrably good reason to continue this practice --- No One should be required to ride their bike while sitting on the equivalent on an axe handle.

I now ride two ISM “Prologue” saddles (current version: PL-1.1) and one Cobb “Randee”. Both designs completely eliminate pressure on my ‘boy parts’; I can ride each of them all-day without any perineum pain whatsoever. ---- Wish I coulda had them when I was racing!

Hope this helps ---.

Joe
I posted this on another thread but I also ride on the Prologue. I'm turning 71 in October and I have them on both my Colnago road bikes (PL 1.1 on the newer one). I've been riding on a Prologue since 2012 and won't ride anything else. I'm a 10,000+ mile/year rider and never had a bit of problems on the Prologue. Half the time, I barely feel the prongs between my legs.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 07-14-17, 06:17 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Liked 682 Times in 405 Posts
I tried out both an ISM and a Selle SMP saddle. Both remove pressure from the perineum if used as the manufacturers specify. Neither has a soft nose like the Reprieve - the soft bits simply ride on air, so there really is no pressure.

With the ISM, one's pubic rami ride on what I call the horns of the ISM. Those same horns give the rider the same control a nose does.

The ISM is noseless, so when I see 'split-nose' in the Reprieve website ... well, if their saddle works, they may not know why. But with saddles, theories have to take a back seat to experience.

The ISM essentially puts all one's weight on the pubic rami; that was too much for me. The Selle SMP works great so far - about 1,000 miles, but nothing longer than 35 miles, which is less than half my age.

If you're interested in the Reprieve, I suggest looking at the Rido - RIDO: a unique design concept in bicycle saddle design and cycling comfort.. Looks a lot like the Reprieve at about 1/3 the cost, and I think the design principles may be better. But then design principles don't much matter....

Last edited by philbob57; 07-14-17 at 06:30 PM.
Old 07-16-17, 05:56 AM
Machoman121

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
I have the ISM ADAMO Attack. It has removed all pressure from the perineum. And it works even better when you are in the drops - which on a normal seat you'll be pressing your nuts up into your body together with compressing the perineum. The Attack has totally removed the pain - i can ride on the drops as long as i like.

The Attack was so good i have now three Attacks - one on each of my go-to bikes - road, mountain biking and hybrid.

I think a lot of people are not aware of something that something as effective as the ISM adamo exist - they persist with the pain thinking it's biking and it should hurt. Sitting on your manparts and it's nerves can be damaging.

Not all saddles with cutouts work - first of all the cutout has got to be quite a large relief - many normal saddle offer a small cutout which does not offer enough relief. Secondly the cutout has got to be designed well - otherwise i think it might even create additional pressure on the soft tissues which will lead to discomfort.

These days there are other true ergonomic options - Specialized Power and even Pro - stealth. I quite like the look of the Pro-stealth saddle - it's got a huge cutout - looks like it could work well. And the Pro-stealth is quite light too compared to the ISM Adamo.

A lot of saddle manufacturers have had it easy - they have not advanced the design of their saddles ergonomically to help riders stay healthy - only interested in making sales and profits.
Old 07-24-17, 09:19 AM
SamRod

Bikes: 1999 Cervelo P2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am currently on a ISM ADAMO loaner (one of my local bike shops has a loaner ppm)

Old seat San Marco with say 3-5K miles on it.

My seat rail broke and warranted looking for a suitable replacement. lots of my friends were touting the ISM

Well after my first 10 mile ride I have to say it defiantly has potential. I want to get in more miles on it say a 50mile ride
and Im sure to know. but thus far? I thunk its more comfortable than my old friend "San Marco"

As with almost seat you have to buy to try... look for a ISM loaner ppm possibly in your area. mine was near by.
Give em a 100$ deposit. ride risk free for 1 month. if I don't like it? get my $ back no q's asked. if I do? when they give me a NEW seat and I pay the difference from the already layed down deposit. Sounded like a great deal to me.

I will warn the loaner seat has a GREEN panel on it. (not that it mattered to me).
Good luck!