Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Tires for goatheads?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Tires for goatheads?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-17, 09:07 AM
Joe Minton

Bikes: Gary Fisher Hi-Fi Deluxe, Giant Stance, Cannondale Synapse, Diamondback 8sp IGH, 1989 Merckx

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not mentioned so far is the Panaracer “Flataway” tire liners. These are Kevlar mats that are remarkably difficult to penetrate. I could not get a Goathead thorn through one no matter how I tried. Even a sewing needle held in my vice would barely penetrate the mat, using a lot of force I might add.

They are very light (38g) and adhere to the inside of the tire. Shops are not keen to install them because they are fiddly. They can be reused by spraying a light coat of contact cement to renew their adhesive qualities. They are a bit costly, going for nearly $20 each but last forever & do not damage tubes.

I have them in my Schwalbe 50x622 “Big Apple” and 50x559 “Kojak” tires. They did not affect the excellent ride qualities of these tires in any way I could determine.

Time does march though: I just fitted a pair of the new Schwalbe “Big Ben Plus HS 439” tires to my wife’s bike. These tires have Schwalbe’s latest anti-puncture technology and I suspect they will perform nearly as well as the more fiddly Flataway liners.

One clear advantage of the Flataways is that one can use them to ‘convert’ any tire to near-puncture proof status.

Joe

An Amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/Panaracer-Fla...way&th=1&psc=1
Old 07-14-17, 09:14 AM
deegentim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cyccommute:
I work at the Ft Collins Bike COOP and we have lots of other tires I could burn. How many would it take to avoid burning up my Randonneurs?
Old 07-14-17, 10:28 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Liked 3,066 Times in 1,657 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute

Sweeping roads is someone ineffective. People getting off the roads, pick goatheads, brush them off on the road and leave the thorns behind for the next schmuck who comes along. The goathead is kind of ingenious that way.
The vine is also resistant to most herbicides, and thrives when the road workers cut back all the competing vegetation.
Old 07-14-17, 11:52 AM
restlessswind

Bikes: 2017 Surly Cross-Check. 2020 Specialized Turbo Vado 3.0, 2002 GT Dyno Roadster, 2002 Rans Stratus, 2020 Giant Fathom 2, 2011 Trek Pure Sport

Liked 85 Times in 62 Posts
Early this week, I made a grave mistake of cutting around a road block on the grass at a park. When I came back to the street, I was engulfed in goatheads! I lost count on the front wheel at 50 (1/3 around the wheel.)
I was fortunate to have Mr. Tuffy's. They did not leave me stranded. I was able to pluck all the heads off, finish my ride to work (11 mi one way, and park is at mid-point). At lunchtime, I had a flat rear.I still had a handful of thorns stuck in the sidewalls. I ended up having my wife pick me and my bike up. When I got home, the front was soft. A goat thorn actually made penetration through the Tuffy liner.
I spent the greater part of my evening pulling "stingers" out of both tires. The evening ended up with pinch flats on new tubes. My fingers were so sore by the end of the night.
Note to self----STAY OFF THE GRASS!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
goat.jpg (96.3 KB, 69 views)
Old 07-14-17, 01:09 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Liked 2,807 Times in 1,803 Posts
Cuckleburrs? We call them porcupine eggs
Yup! Probably a form of cockleburr. There seem to be many variations. I still see the oval shaped form with shorter spines but it's been years since I've seen the really vicious type here in North Central Texas. Mebbe the fire ants, nutria or one of our many other invasive species ate 'em all.
Old 07-14-17, 01:22 PM
CliffordK

Liked 4,571 Times in 3,395 Posts
Thanks for all the comments and thoughts.

If it was just me, I'd probably go with a latex sealant, but since it requires maintenance, I'm not sure it is time yet. Wait a few years until my nephew is a little older. I did try slime in my nephew's 24" bike, and that is still a possibility, although I've never really liked the green slime.

I'll probably go with the 25mm or 28mm Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires for the road bike. And, the Michelin Protek Cross Max if I do a Cross bike.

Those Panaracer Flataway liners look good.

And, maybe consider the tire wipers too... hit all the bases.

restlessswind, those thorns are exactly what my niece's bike looked like the last time I was up there. So, I spent some time picking out the big ones, as well as all the thorns that had broken off.
Old 07-14-17, 01:25 PM
CliffordK

We've got some of those coclkeburs. Plants with large leaves? But so far they don't seem to bother the bikes, but I don't do a lot of off-road cycling around them. I also have a gumwood tree. Its seeds also look vicious, but so far they don't really seem to bother anything. Squirrels?
Old 07-14-17, 02:00 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Liked 4,340 Times in 2,435 Posts
Originally Posted by deegentim
cyccommute:
I work at the Ft Collins Bike COOP and we have lots of other tires I could burn. How many would it take to avoid burning up my Randonneurs?
It's even worse if you try to fool the Goathead Gods! You could endanger us all, you fool!
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 07-14-17, 02:02 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by DiabloScott
The vine is also resistant to most herbicides, and thrives when the road workers cut back all the competing vegetation.
The plant actually competes poorly with other plants but thrives in disturbed soils. I've read that the seeds can also lay fallow for up to 50 years and still sprout when the conditions are right.

Nasty little buggers!
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 07-14-17, 02:52 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Liked 2,807 Times in 1,803 Posts
Originally Posted by restlessswind
Early this week, I made a grave mistake of cutting around a road block on the grass at a park. When I came back to the street, I was engulfed in goatheads! I lost count on the front wheel at 50 (1/3 around the wheel.)
Heh! That's exactly how I've gotten many flats. Those were all with my hybridized mountain bike wearing Continental Speed Rides. Great tires but only a thin puncture shield. Got half a dozen flats last fall and winter cutting through grassy areas and picking up burrs.

The Michelin Protek Cross Max tires ignore that stuff, but they weigh three times what the Conti Speed Rides weigh. Everything is a compromise.

I spent the greater part of my evening pulling "stingers" out of both tires. The evening ended up with pinch flats on new tubes. My fingers were so sore by the end of the night.
Get some mosquito hemostats from a military surplus outlet or Micro-Tools. Among other things they're great for plucking tiny thorns, shards of glass and other stuff that gets stuck in tires, especially the sipes between the tread blocks. Better than most tweezers. The mosquito hemostats have a tiny needle nose, textured gripping surface and can clamp down on the tiniest bit of stuff.
Old 07-14-17, 03:13 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by canklecat
Get some mosquito hemostats from a military surplus outlet or Micro-Tools. Among other things they're great for plucking tiny thorns, shards of glass and other stuff that gets stuck in tires, especially the sipes between the tread blocks. Better than most tweezers. The mosquito hemostats have a tiny needle nose, textured gripping surface and can clamp down on the tiniest bit of stuff.
I like the leather punch on my Swiss Army knives. I can easily probe the bottom of holes with them. Glass has a unique "feel", and I can usually quickly dig out stuff like thorns, glass, or even those radial wires (although small pliers can help for wires, also on my Swiss Army knives).

And, I don't think I do much damage to the tires.

The problem is if one gets a badly abused tire. I got a cross bike with a used tire on it that must have had 500 pieces of glass in it . And, cleaning my Nephew's and Niece's tires from goatheads and goathead thorns when we went riding earlier took a while
Old 07-14-17, 03:16 PM
TallRider

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
One reason I use sealant in my tubes instead of a kevlar-belted tire is that more-puncture-resistant tires tend to be stiffer, which means
a) less comfortable ride, since the tire doesn't deform as easily over road imperfections
b) slower ride, since the deformation of a stiffer tire takes more energy

I should have mentioned this in my previous post.
Old 07-14-17, 03:25 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Liked 3,066 Times in 1,657 Posts
The plant actually competes poorly with other plants
That's what I was saying. The tall grasses next to the trail keep the goatheads in check. When the trail maintenance people mow the tall grasses, the vines go crazy.
Old 07-14-17, 04:28 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by DiabloScott
That's what I was saying. The tall grasses next to the trail keep the goatheads in check. When the trail maintenance people mow the tall grasses, the vines go crazy.
Just clarifying.

It usually takes more than just mowing the grass. Grass and vegetation removal are ideal conditions for goatheads. They thrive here in the cracks of bike path pavement and on sidewalks. Newly installed bike paths are probably the worst.

Most roadways here have the vegetation scrapped away from the pavement about 1 to 2 fee by road crews "pulling shoulders" which makes it ideal conditions. I never roll my bike off a road unless I look around a whole lot and even then I might carry my bike.

Last edited by cyccommute; 07-14-17 at 04:31 PM.
Old 07-14-17, 04:59 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Liked 4,087 Times in 2,643 Posts
The problem I've found with that method is that you don't know where you picked up the goathead or how deeply embedded it is. Often the "brushing off" is followed by a whoosh of air.

Sweeping roads is someone ineffective. People getting off the roads, pick goatheads, brush them off on the road and leave the thorns behind for the next schmuck who comes along. The goathead is kind of ingenious that way.
The sweeping CO does it the day before we get there. It has reduced goathead flats radically. We now leave the road with clean tires. As long as we don't ride until we return, there has been no great force to drive the goatheads we picked up at the lunch stop in. Every one i have brushed off came of easily. I've had one flat in a couple of CO goathead weeks and that one was when I forgot to brush off before I started,

Sweeping the roads as CO does it is very effective. (You can ask the support mechanics who have been there more than 5 years. They remember that nightmare year.)

Ben