Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Anybody using Scosche Rhythm+ Heart Rate Monitor Armband?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-17, 07:28 PM
MikeOK
Yo

Bikes: 2003 Yeti AS-R, 2018 Waltly ti

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I hate wearing the chest strap. Is this thing as accurate as a chest strap hrm?
Old 07-15-17, 01:12 PM
rjdennis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeOK
I hate wearing the chest strap. Is this thing as accurate as a chest strap hrm?
yes, works well but occasionally picks up cadence rather than heart rate
Old 07-15-17, 06:34 PM
Rolling15
Ontheroad

Bikes: Felt Z2

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I have had this unit for about a year. I bought it because I found that the chest strap wouldn't usually work until I worked up a sweat. The Scosche Rhythm+ works very well and seems to be very accurate. It's paired to my Garmin Edge 520. The only downside is that you have to charge it, but I haven't found this to be a problem.
Old 07-18-17, 03:47 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Liked 343 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolling15
I have had this unit for about a year. I bought it because I found that the chest strap wouldn't usually work until I worked up a sweat. The Scosche Rhythm+ works very well and seems to be very accurate. It's paired to my Garmin Edge 520. The only downside is that you have to charge it, but I haven't found this to be a problem.
I agree. Just another thing to deal with to have to charge. But that's life. Other than that, it works flawlessly.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 07-19-17, 07:41 PM
jaws7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I purchased one in early June because I had some strange readings with my chest strap. I did a few test runs with a VDO chest strap connected to a VDO Z2-Pc link computer, and a Scosche Rhythm+ connected to an identical VDO Z2, both connected via Ant+ protocol. I first tried the Scosche on my forearm, as recommended, but noticed the HR didn't increase when I started my first ride, so I moved it to the inside of my bicep. This seemed to correct the difference between the two readings for the remainder of that ride. As it turned out, when I began the next few rides, the Scosch would always read lower, but only for the first 30-60 seconds, whether it was on my forearm or bicep. During my rides (about 3 hours) though both readings were usually within 2-3 BPM of each other (1%-2% difference). So as far as I can tell, the Scosche is as accurate as a chest strap.
Old 07-20-17, 01:11 PM
ct-vt-trekker

Bikes: 2024 Specialized Tarmac SL8Pro, 2022 Specialized Epic Evo, 2021 Framed Alaskan Fatbike,2019 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro, 2018 Trek Stache 9.7, 2013 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert, 2009 Ritchey Breakaway Cross, 2016 Lynskey ProCross, 2008 Trek T1000 Tandem,

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I've had one for over a year, used 3-5 times per week year round. No issues whatsoever. I did replace the strap a month ago because the original was wearing where the velcro attaches but that was low cost and readily available. I wear it on my forearm or bicep, usually bicep, so much more comfortable than a chest strap. I wonder why anyone would use a chest strap once this became available?
No problems charging it, it charges very fast. I've used it on rides up to about 5-6 hours long.
Old 07-20-17, 04:49 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Liked 246 Times in 182 Posts
They are great. DC Rainmaker says it's his gold standard. I'd agree.

J
Old 07-20-17, 05:15 PM
MikeOK
Yo

Bikes: 2003 Yeti AS-R, 2018 Waltly ti

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It is Bluetooth, right? I use an app called motifit ride and a wahoo tickr chest strap now. Would very much like to shed the chest strap.
Old 07-20-17, 05:36 PM
derath

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
just ordered one so we'll see.
Old 07-20-17, 07:27 PM
Seattle Forrest

Liked 10,647 Times in 6,055 Posts
How many hours do you get to a charge?
Old 07-21-17, 09:59 AM
JohnJ80

Originally Posted by MikeOK
It is Bluetooth, right? I use an app called motifit ride and a wahoo tickr chest strap now. Would very much like to shed the chest strap.
does both ANT+ and BTLE and does them simultaneously. If you really want to geek out, you can have both an ANT+ bike computer and a smartphone app connected at the same time.

J.
Old 07-23-17, 10:49 AM
derath

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just wore mine for the first time. Very comfortable to wear, easy to use/pair with my Garmin 820. Seems accurate, although I haven't worn my chest strap in awhile so I don't have any recent data to compare it to. However my HR was in the correct ballpark for my rides.

It had some funny lights as I was riding that aren't explained in the little starter guide included. I will have to look it up. But it seemed like the light colors corresponded to my HR zones.

The only funny concern I thought about as I was gearing up today is the funny tan line I may end up with. I put on sunscreen.
Old 07-23-17, 04:53 PM
JohnJ80

Originally Posted by derath
Just wore mine for the first time. Very comfortable to wear, easy to use/pair with my Garmin 820. Seems accurate, although I haven't worn my chest strap in awhile so I don't have any recent data to compare it to. However my HR was in the correct ballpark for my rides.

It had some funny lights as I was riding that aren't explained in the little starter guide included. I will have to look it up. But it seemed like the light colors corresponded to my HR zones.

The only funny concern I thought about as I was gearing up today is the funny tan line I may end up with. I put on sunscreen.
Just put it on your upper arm under the sleeve with the head over the inside of your arm (brachial artery). Doesn't have to be on your lower arm. For that matter, I bet you could put it on your ankle and it would work ok. I believe it just needs to be near enough to a major artery to pick up the heart beat.

As for the light colors - the only ones I've seen are Blue, Red, and alternating red and blue. I think they mostly have to do with bluetooth and ANT+ pairing and turning the unit on and off. AFAIK, they don't have anything to do with heart zones, but I may be wrong.

J.