Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Do you ride with a Road ID?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Do you ride with a Road ID?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-17, 03:50 PM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 112 Posts
Bracelet here. it's an easy habit to wear for me, a huge peace of mind for my wife.

Driver's license doesn't have a phone number on it, or an emergency contact phone number. Or whether you're allergic to any medications. What good is your address to an EMT? NONE.
Old 07-20-17, 04:33 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4813 Post(s)
Liked 1,553 Times in 1,018 Posts
I've xeroxed my DL and insurance card together onto a small piece of paper, on which I've written (yes, old school ballpoint pen) emergency contact info. tucked into my bike wallet easy to find. FWIW I also took the time to fill in the emergency contact info into the home screen of my iPhone (I don't think a lot of people know this exists) -- which is accessible without having the phone's unlock password btw.
Old 07-20-17, 04:55 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
More like dog tags for me. I need two, one is a Road ID, the other my doing. I don't carry my wallet when riding, but between my phone and tags, pretty much all an EMT would need to get started. Had a heart condition identified during femur repair surgery last fall. One tag includes reference to all the hardware in my left leg so if I should need an MRI, they should dial down the power. The other focuses on my heart, stent and meds plus my emergency contacts. My cardiologist is aware of my cycling, called a plus but told me not to crash or hit a car, I might bleed to death.
Old 07-20-17, 05:02 PM
etw

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I use a Road ID. Relatively cheap, peace of mind, easy for someone to see if needed.

Hopefully I never need it.
Old 07-20-17, 05:14 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
I carry a minimal wallet - Driver's license, insurance info and a credit card or two. I don't have any medical history that would matter in the event of an emergency, so no concerns for me, there.
Old 07-20-17, 05:55 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3261 Post(s)
Liked 2,582 Times in 1,535 Posts
My wife got me one for Christmas a couple of years ago. I do most of my running at night. She also got me a better running vest. Hmmmmmm. The Road ID rotates between my shoes and a wrist bracelet. I have a med allergy which is listed on it. Good thing to have.
Old 07-20-17, 06:09 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,805 Times in 1,802 Posts
I haven't, but probably will. I do carry a small wallet, and usually keep my ID on my body. A bracelet or necklace would be better.

As 10 Wheels mentioned, emergency personnel may not check anywhere but your neck and wrist for wearable ID. I just got a reminder of that Thursday afternoon when I chatted with EMTs about an ill family member (heat exhaustion) who couldn't remember her address, phone number, etc., and whose ID and other contact info were scattered loosely in a crowded tote bag under stuff she'd just purchased at the store.

My baggy shorts have small zippered or Velcro pockets for ID, but these may not be obvious to folks in a hurry. A bloodied, torn jersey may be cut off and discarded, along with our phones and IDs. In an accident we'll be separated from our bikes so the IDs and phones in and on our bikes won't help.

Having been in health care for years I've seen many folks who've suffered concussions and cannot give useful information to helpful folks who stop or emergency rescue personnel.

While I've never had a concussion, including as an amateur boxer, I should be realistic and admit that's only because I haven't been hit hard enough.
Old 07-20-17, 06:18 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by superdex
What good is your address to an EMT?
Not so. I was informed Thursday afternoon at my door about a family member who'd collapsed from heat exhaustion and couldn't provide any useful info to paramedics. She'd removed her emergency contact necklace and has a bad habit of carrying an empty wallet with her ID, cash, debit card, etc., scattered loosely in her purse, buried under everything else.

The only thing they could find readily was a scrap of paper with my address. Firemen from the nearest station knocked on my door to notify me.

I asked them about the best method to provide ID for emergencies. They strongly recommended wearable ID. They said they don't even spend much time searching belongings for IDs, and those can be lost easily when clothing is cut off to treat injuries, or people are separated from their purses, etc.

I'm probably going to get bracelets, including for myself.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 07-20-17, 06:32 PM
Ben I.

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix Ultegra, 2016 Ridley X-Trail

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I normally carry my license, insurance card and a CC with me just in case plus $10 cash. I've had Road ID for a few years now and like the piece of mind. It's only about $20 as I remember for the metal plate and whichever strap you pick. I have the ankle strap and find it really comfortable and have never had any issues with it, i.e. it loosening or becoming uncomfortable.
Old 07-20-17, 07:15 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 357 Posts
In my youth I was riding 300 plus miles a week. No ID, no helmet. Sometimes I didnt even have any money on me. Thousands of miles over 3 or 4 years, never a problem.

Now I ride with wallet and helmet. Ahhh youth.
Old 07-20-17, 07:19 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4813 Post(s)
Liked 1,553 Times in 1,018 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
I haven't, but probably will. I do carry a small wallet, and usually keep my ID on my body. A bracelet or necklace would be better.

As 10 Wheels mentioned, emergency personnel may not check anywhere but your neck and wrist for wearable ID. I just got a reminder of that Thursday afternoon when I chatted with EMTs about an ill family member (heat exhaustion) who couldn't remember her address, phone number, etc., and whose ID and other contact info were scattered loosely in a crowded tote bag under stuff she'd just purchased at the store.
Sorry, but this just seems odd to me. Really? After someone's in an accident, the first place EMTs look for ID is something wearable? Not a wallet or a purse or pockets? I don't want to speak about your ill family member, but why would someone keep their ID etc. scattered in the bottom of a tote bag?
Old 07-20-17, 07:21 PM
Tycho Brahe 

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 67 Posts
I put my keys in a small ziploc bag with my insurance card. I lost my RoadID bracelet, I need to get another (although I have no good contact to give).

If I lost my bike "wallet" while riding, and if it had my drivers license, someone that found it would have both my address and keys. Not a good idea.
Old 07-20-17, 08:38 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Sorry, but this just seems odd to me. Really? After someone's in an accident, the first place EMTs look for ID is something wearable? Not a wallet or a purse or pockets?
Yup. But that's not new.

In the 1970s I was a Navy hospital corpsman. First thing a more experienced corpsman told me when he found out I was bicycle commuting to and from Camp Pendleton (with long stretches of nothing but nothing between base facilities), including in the wee hours depending on my schedule, was to get a wearable Medic-Alert type emergency contact bracelet or necklace with my basic health info, in addition to our dog tags. My only serious health issue was a severe allergy to the then-common tetanus shot. Back then it was common to give tetanus shots as a preventive measure for almost any injury accident, particularly those that occurred in rural areas with wildlife herds or domestic cattle or horses. My last tetanus shot was at age 12 and the entire right side of my body swelled up. If the shot had been given on my left side there may have been a risk of the swelling affecting the heart.

Since then tetanus shots have been modified to be less likely to provoke allergic reactions, and aren't routinely given immediately along with other emergency medical care.

I don't want to speak about your ill family member, but why would someone keep their ID etc. scattered in the bottom of a tote bag?
Years ago I learned to never ask womenfolk about their purses. It's a good way to get the stink eye and incur all sorts of unthinkable silent curses.

Best I can figure from stealthy observation, they begin the day and shopping trips well organized. But after use at the store, the debit card, ID, etc., gets tossed into the purse or bag for re-organizing later at home.

And that's assuming the handbag addicts in my family remember to actually carry their IDs, debit/credit cards, cash, etc., at all. The bags will have the cell phone, tissues, feminine hygiene supplies, makeup, lip balm, water bottle, cutesy notepad, packets of wet wipes, hand sanitizer, greeting cards they've been meaning to mail all year, etc., etc.

Also, from the perspective of emergency medical personnel, fireman, police, etc., reaching into bags and pockets is a good way to get jabbed with an infected needle or other sharp object.

And people who've been badly injured and in shock, particularly if they're older or unconscious, often void their bladders and bowels. Reaching into pants pockets and clothing drops even lower on the priority list.
Old 07-20-17, 08:46 PM
longbeachgary

Bikes: Eddy Merckx San Remo 76, Eddy Merckx San Remo 76 - Black Silver and Red, Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL;

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Road ID every ride
Old 07-20-17, 08:56 PM
chainwhip

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 84 Posts
Yep.

Went over the bars 100 yards from home.
Ear lobe subbed for a brake pad.
Cracked helmet.
Passed out.

Two neighbors stopped traffic before a third ran me over.

No concussion, but not concious at the scene.

Cheap insurance.
And I carry both Dr Lic & mobile phone.
Old 07-20-17, 09:15 PM
drewguy

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.3

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts
Expired DL, card with contact info, phone with emergency contact info on lock screen, and use Garmin LiveTrack with spouse.
Old 07-20-17, 09:50 PM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1133 Post(s)
Liked 1,675 Times in 959 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I've xeroxed my DL and insurance card together onto a small piece of paper, on which I've written (yes, old school ballpoint pen) emergency contact info. tucked into my bike wallet easy to find. FWIW I also took the time to fill in the emergency contact info into the home screen of my iPhone (I don't think a lot of people know this exists) -- which is accessible without having the phone's unlock password btw.
Same here, but my Road ID has a line "see seatbag" where I keep the reduced sized cards, along with $10 and a bike tool kit. I see no reason to carry actual ID's or a wallet that could be lost or stolen when copies will do the job. Mine was just $15, not much to pay for having that info available on your body & I've heard here before EMT's may not have the time to search for ID.

Last edited by Deal4Fuji; 07-24-17 at 07:11 AM.
Old 07-21-17, 01:48 AM
icyclist 
Spin Meister

Bikes: Trek Émonda, 1961 Follis (French) road bike (I'm the original owner), a fixie, a mountain bike, etc.

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by cycledogg
I have been road riding for well over 25 years and never carried any form of ID for emergency or any other purpose. I am now considering getting the Road ID bracelet. Just curious if other riders carry ID and what form.
Cheers
My kids gave me one. So I feel duty-bound to wear it.
Old 07-21-17, 07:35 AM
BadBurrito

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Road ID velcro'd to one of the cross straps on my shoe. I don't carry a wallet/DL. I went for years without it and no one seemed to care including me, then my wife sees a commercial for Road ID (I think while watching ToF) and suddenly she thinks it's the most important thing. Ahh to be wanted even it is so I can take out the trash.
Old 07-21-17, 08:49 AM
Silvercivic27

Bikes: Colnago, Cervelo, Scott

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I use a road ID. Maybe not every ride. I do carry my DL, medical insurance card, a credit card and a $20 in a ziplock bag with my phone every ride.
Old 07-21-17, 08:58 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 696 Times in 409 Posts
Originally Posted by cycledogg
I have been road riding for well over 25 years and never carried any form of ID for emergency or any other purpose. I am now considering getting the Road ID bracelet. Just curious if other riders carry ID and what form.
Cheers
I wrap some $ around my driver's license and a CC, along with a post-it with emergency contact and "B+, no allergies, don't take my organs" written on it and I put a rubber band or two around the whole thing.
Old 07-21-17, 09:02 AM
hunterr41

Bikes: Giant Defy Composite 2

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bracelet always
Old 07-21-17, 09:29 AM
LarRig

Bikes: Musseuw MFC 01,'93 Mongoose Rockadile,'14 CAAD 10, '81 Panasonic DX4000, '91 PDG 90, Raleigh Retro Cruiser

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If you feel that a Road ID is too expensive you can order custom dog tags online with the same info on them for a lot less $.
Old 07-21-17, 09:46 AM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 112 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Not so. I was informed Thursday afternoon at my door about a family member who'd collapsed from heat exhaustion and couldn't provide any useful info to paramedics. She'd removed her emergency contact necklace and has a bad habit of carrying an empty wallet with her ID, cash, debit card, etc., scattered loosely in her purse, buried under everything else.

The only thing they could find readily was a scrap of paper with my address. Firemen from the nearest station knocked on my door to notify me.
I'm thankful she had your address; hope she's ok.
I asked them about the best method to provide ID for emergencies. They strongly recommended wearable ID. They said they don't even spend much time searching belongings for IDs, and those can be lost easily when clothing is cut off to treat injuries, or people are separated from their purses, etc.

I'm probably going to get bracelets, including for myself.
I bought mine probably 10 years ago; for $35 it's amortized pretty well

Last edited by superdex; 07-21-17 at 09:52 AM.
Old 07-21-17, 09:47 AM
cderalow

Bikes: 2012 GT Transeo 3 2014 Cannondale CAAD 10 105

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
side note for those of you putting them on shoes or in pockets...

during a serious accident, your shoes, pockets and sometimes clothes can be parted from your person which makes them useless. bracelets and necklaces are less likely to have that happen.

also, as a former EMT, initial training had us taking pulse via two methods (wrist or neck) which puts us purposefully touching one of both of those locations, which makes us more prone to finding important information there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.