Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Speedplays: Ultra Light Cleats with Zero pedals?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-17, 04:45 PM
Pedal Wench

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am heavily invested in Zero pedals - have about 5 pairs, and just rebuilt two titanium pairs. However, I am having difficulty clipping in - often. I weigh about 121-122 lbs. So, thinking about the Ultra Lights, but don't want to have to get a whole new entourage of pedals.
Anyone have any problems using Zero pedals with the UL cleats? Does that negate the ease-of-entry for them?
Old 07-21-17, 05:30 PM
redlude97

Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
yes it works, maybe not ideally but not noticeable IME. The ultra light action is so easy to clip into and out of I couldn't tell the difference between the zero and LA pedals.
Old 07-21-17, 07:51 PM
Bathwater

Location: In my car with my Garmin, stealing all your Strava KOMs
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry, I don't know anything cleat compatibility, but you can adjust the cleat tension by bending the crescent-shaped spring inside.
Old 07-22-17, 05:17 AM
hunterr41

Bikes: Giant Defy Composite 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Call Speedplay, they are helpful. According to my info, be sure you are not over tightening. Snug then 1/4 turn.
Old 07-23-17, 12:34 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Liked 183 Times in 119 Posts
Tighten the screws to 2.5 Nm (don't forget the blue loctite). They even sell a torque key for that. I forgot if I tried Ultra Light Action cleats with Zero pedals or Zero cleats with ULA pedals. I wish I remembered which combo it was but it was a pain getting out. I had to really twist my foot a lot more than usual and it was not fun at all.