Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Taking a break?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-17, 10:08 AM
FRC928

Bikes: Jamis Renegade Exile

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback guys, this place is great!

Due to work, I kind of had a forced break this past weekend. I was on call, with a one hour response time, so I felt i couldn't do my normal route, due to time. I decided to bring my bike to a local park that has a trail with about a 2.5 mile loop. This kept me close enough to my car, in the event I was called. The loop is flat with lots of twists and turns, so it's a pretty slow easy ride. I took Sunday off, then rode my normal route after work on Monday.
I really think the rest did so much for me. For the first 7 miles of a 12 mile ride, I crushed my average speed, by almost 2.5mph. When I got to mile 8 the road is straight with a slight uphill for close to 2 miles, followed by a steep uphill corkscrew overpass, also had what felt like a monster head wind that whole time, so my avg. speed went down. I felt strong most of the ride, until after the uphill overpass. There's a nice downhill after the overpass, followed by a stoplight. The light was red, so I was able to take a nice break. Finished the rest of the ride strong, but was definitely tired when I was done.

Taking a break, on the ride, and a rest day seemed to help so much. Once again, thank you all for your responses.
Old 07-28-17, 08:04 PM
bgraham111

Bikes: 1996 Specialized Hardrock Sport FS, 2011 Fuji Newest 1.0, 2015 GRC-Single Gecko, 2016 Waterford RS-22

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I try to force my self to stop and "smell the roses" so to speak. Take pictures. Look around. Relax. I need to remember it's not a competition. It's hard to do sometimes. But I try.
Old 07-28-17, 09:59 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
Originally Posted by FRC928
Good morning everyone. I've only been back to cycling for a little over a month, and had a quick question, that I hope hasn't been asked over and over again.

Do you guys take a break? I mean in the middle of your ride do you ever just stop for a few minutes, and then carry on. For some reason, maybe competitive nature in myself, I find my self just pushing on even when I feel totally gassed and just want to stop.

What do you guys do?
I don't normally take a break, my ride is a 20 mile ride. I'm riding for exercise so I just keep on going until I am done.
Old 07-31-17, 02:22 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I take a break every now & then, but when I'm riding solo I don't think I rest as much as I should or as long as I should. My rest breaks usually consist of a couple minutes, then I'm back on the move. I think I need to discipline myself to take at least 5-10 minutes now & then when on long rides. It's a lot easier when riding with a group because they normally take longer breaks than I usually do, like to allow slower riders to catch up.