Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

First road bike--getting more confused by the day

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

First road bike--getting more confused by the day

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-17, 10:34 AM
Lazyass

Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts
Tires are the most important factor. And endurance bike is good, but a so-called gravel or all road bike is even more versatile because they can fit even bigger tires.

This aluminum bike with 35c tires is a magic carpet ride, and I'm no faster on my 16lb racing bike with 25c tires. Unless you're racing at a high level, your legs determine your speed.

Old 08-04-17, 10:35 AM
Swede1

Bikes: 2016 Ghost Panamao X3 Hybrid 2017 Specialized Roubaix Comp

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2
I would bet these roadies aren't riding the gravel portions of that trail.
We start a few miles early (Grand River park) so we can get 60+miles roundtrip of continuous paved trail..works for me
Old 08-04-17, 10:35 AM
trainsktg

Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Hell, even 8sp Claris is good these days. My first road bike was a new $650 aluminum 2014 Defy 5 with 8sp Claris. I wore the chainring and jockey wheels out by 5,000 miles and upgraded it to full 11sp 105 for a little over $300. To this day it gets used nearly as much as my 2015 carbon TCR, but its relegated to mostly winter and wet riding now.

I just bought a 2017 Giant 'gravel' bike with 10sp Tiagra. It is slightly 'clunkier' sounding when shifting than the 105 groupsets on my road bikes, but it has the same high and low trim features, i.e the same functionality except one less gear.

To the point, as said above this most likely won't be your only road bike, so my recommendation would be to buy something of moderate cost that fits you properly, ride the heck out of it, and 1.) put away the money saved to later buy all of the goodies you probably don't even know you want yet (clipless pedals and shoes, GPS bike computer, power meter, smart trainer for Zwifting in bad weather on-and-on-and-on speaking from experience), and 2.) use the experience gained from riding this one to allow you to determine exactly what you want in you 'nicer' road bike, i.e would you be satisfied with a decent stock carbon bike with moderate groupset or do you want to go all out and get 'the best'?

Keith
Old 08-04-17, 10:40 AM
CrankyOne

Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Swede1
42 and have always been very active. Played a lot of sports my entire life, but had foot surgery earlier in the year, and to ease some of the pain I jumped on the bike for to stay active...surprise...turns out I liked it for more than a mode of transportation. Finances are fine (received my tenure this year--yay), it is mainly about what my partner allows
Given that I'd likely go for something that you think you'll like for a while like maybe CF + 106 (the numeral five key on my new Apple MacBook Pro stopped working) if you can afford it. Going lessor on the groupset could leave you frustrated, spending more likely not worth it.

USED is a great option. You can save a lot of money if you can find the right bike.

Make sure you ride the bike a bit first and get the correct size and then get it properly fitted. There are differences in geometry that could leave you in love or pain so test rides are critical.
Old 08-04-17, 10:50 AM
12strings

Bikes: 2015 Jamis Quest Comp

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Going to weigh in here...

1. I agree that in most areas that matter, aluminum is fine, tiagra is fine, and that even a $800 entry level road bike with Clari's is MUCH better than a 200 Walmart hybrid...but the jump from there to $3000 is less significant.

2. HOWEVER, with the synapse specifically, I have multiple friends and online reviews that rave about the Carbon Synapse...but online reviews and my own personal test-riding of the Aluminum synapse were less than inspiring. I would at least look at a few other aluminum bikes. Or, with your budget, get a $2000 Carbon synapse with 105.
Old 08-04-17, 10:51 AM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by trainsktg
Hell, even 8sp Claris is good these days. My first road bike was a new $650 aluminum 2014 Defy 5 with 8sp Claris. I wore the chainring and jockey wheels out by 5,000 miles and upgraded it to full 11sp 105 for a little over $300. To this day it gets used nearly as much as my 2015 carbon TCR, but its relegated to mostly winter and wet riding now.
My Diverge has Claris. My 2011 Focus has Ultegra 6700 10sp. I like the Claris better. I want to go with Campy but I feel bad replacing it. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it. The new Claris R2000 looks pretty sweet, too.

Old 08-04-17, 11:06 AM
trainsktg

Originally Posted by Lazyass
My Diverge has Claris. My 2011 Focus has Ultegra 6700 10sp. I like the Claris better. I want to go with Campy but I feel bad replacing it. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it. The new Claris R2000 looks pretty sweet, too.

Did they go back to the thumb shifter? My 2014 Claris set had two standard brifters; I had read that the earlier Claris thumbshifter group was not regarded favorably.

Keith
Old 08-04-17, 11:08 AM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by trainsktg
Did they go back to the thumb shifter? My 2014 Claris set had two standard brifters; I had read that the earlier Claris thumbshifter group was not regarded favorably.

Keith
No thumbshifter. It's like all the other groups now. Even Sora R3000.
Old 08-04-17, 11:32 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Liked 5,012 Times in 3,448 Posts
I wouldn't spend a lot on a first road bike. But maybe that's not a lot for you. But you need keep gear ratio's in mind. So if you are expecting to ride the new bike up the same steep hills you ride your current bike up, then see if the gear combo you ride up that hill today in are obtainable on the new bike. Same for riding flat going down the other side of that hill.

The lighter weight alone isn't going to get you up the hill if you are used to very low gears which road bikes may or may not have depending on what's in stock at your LBS.
Old 08-04-17, 11:37 AM
joelcool

Bikes: Road, Commuter, Mountain, Tandem and a couple others

Liked 41 Times in 27 Posts
You're obviously getting a lot of conflicting advice, which is to be expected, we all view your questions from our own perspective. It's all good. I'll tell you what my experience was getting into cycling at age 48.
I had started running but got worried that I would screw up my knees, so I bought a bike. I knew I would like it since I raced road bicycles when I was in high school. I ended up finding a Look 566 on CL that fit me. For me, I wanted carbon because I thought it was cool, and I wanted to avoid Trek, Specialized, Focus, Cannondale and all the really common bikes just because they are common. Around here you don't see many Looks.
I've had the bike for 5 years and 16,000 miles and I still love it.
Since then I've added a Stump Jumper and a tandem bike, but the Look is still my favorite.

One other thing is reserve several hundred dollars in your budget for clothing and other road bike stuff - shorts, shoes, pedals, etc.
Old 08-04-17, 12:12 PM
JoePeri

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was in a similar situation as you were a couple years ago. Road riding regularly on an old steel Fuji and a newer, but entry level MTB that I bought for trail riding.

Finally got the go-ahead to get a modern road bike from my wife with a top price of 3K. But I was looking at aluminum bikes in the 1K-1.5K range. I road tested several bikes from Specialized and Trek, and almost went with a Allez. But the LBS insisted I at least try a endurance bike made with a carbon frame as he said it matched best what kind of riding I did and the roads I usually used.

So I tested a Cannondale Synapse carbon 105. It definitely felt the best and I was sold. I think money well spent. The price was about 2K after tax as well. The bike rides better than anything else I tested and I really love it. Plus the 105 components are solid.

If you get a carbon Synapse, made sure you get some assembly paste for the seat post and a small torque wrench to tightening the integrated clamp properly. My weight varies from 200-220 depending on the time of year and that seatpost will not stay put if it isn't tightened down to spec with the assembly paste to keep it still!

Also have the LBS install a chain catcher for you. I use the K-Edge for braze-ons and it is great. I installed it myself after my chain dropped once on a hill which promptly popped off the little aluminum shield the Synapse has on the BB to keep it from getting scratched from a dropped chain. (It is a weak protection -- literally just a thick foil sticker!) Don't depend on that little thing to protect the BB. With the catcher there you never need to worry about it.
Old 08-04-17, 12:18 PM
trainsktg

Originally Posted by Iride01
I wouldn't spend a lot on a first road bike. But maybe that's not a lot for you. But you need keep gear ratio's in mind. So if you are expecting to ride the new bike up the same steep hills you ride your current bike up, then see if the gear combo you ride up that hill today in are obtainable on the new bike. Same for riding flat going down the other side of that hill.

The lighter weight alone isn't going to get you up the hill if you are used to very low gears which road bikes may or may not have depending on what's in stock at your LBS.
Good advice. Of note, if, after you purchase your new bike, you find that low power to weight is a detriment to your climbing, you can most likely change the rear cassette out to something approaching even mountain-bike gearing, for relatively little cost. Case in point, last summer I changed out the stock 11-28 cassette on my TCR to an 11-32. I believe I had to put a medium cage rear derailleur on it as well, as I think it originally came with a short cage, but regardless, the cost was under $100. As it turns out though, that still wasn't quite low enough to prevent me from grinding up some of the steepest stuff and I got sick of doing so, so I just got done installing an 11-40. The latter was just the cost of the new cassette, a new chain and a $10 part to drop my derailleur down an inch. Combined with the 34 on the front, I can pretty much climb trees with it now.

Keith
Old 08-11-17, 01:02 PM
Swede1

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Great advice from everyone...thank you.

So I went around and tested every bike I could get my hands on, and I really liked the feel of the Roubaix. Felt much smoother on the pavement than anything else I tested. I was also helped along the way by the fact that one of the local stores had a pretty darn good deals on some 2017 models....so I ended up with a 2017 Specialized Roubaix Comp, a full (3 hour) fitting, and pedals for under budget.

Thanks Folks....you will see me around!!
Old 08-11-17, 01:47 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Liked 3,710 Times in 1,954 Posts
Awesome news. Post pics or we come tonight and steal your new bike.

(By the way, we don't care what your new bike looks like. We just want an excuse to post more pics of our own bikes, which we all believe are stunningly beautiful Don't tell anyone.)
Old 08-11-17, 06:36 PM
mcmoose

Bikes: Trek Silque S, Bianchi Aria e-Road

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Yes, pics of your new sweetheart, please... and ride it like you stole it!
Old 08-11-17, 08:17 PM
Bsgs87

Bikes: Jamis Zenith Comp, 2009 Specialized Roubaix Expert, 2008 Limited Edition Torelli

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great bike! I have been riding one for about 9 years. I don't think you will regret going this route. Have fun!!!!
Old 08-14-17, 11:44 AM
JoePeri

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like an excellent choice! Definitely post a pic. And a review once you have a few rides down.
Old 08-14-17, 03:24 PM
Chuck Naill

Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
Just get a Kona Sutra and be done with it.
Old 08-14-17, 03:28 PM
brianmcg123

Bikes: 2013 Trek Madone; 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Liked 59 Times in 35 Posts
Yes, pics please. I cant wait to see your garage door.
Old 08-15-17, 05:30 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Liked 1,543 Times in 807 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Frame material is irrelevant. A good AL frame with a CF fork can provide a ton of comfort, and if it has clearance for 28-mm tires, it will be like riding a sofa...

I'll repeat the quote:

"Frame material is irrelevant." Repeat that to yourself 100 times, because it's true.

OP, go ride several candidate bikes. Don't spend $3000 on your first road bike. You should do fine in the $1500-1700 range. Look for clearance to ride wider tires in the 28mm-32mm range. You don't need disc brakes. You don't need a carbon frame. You need a shop that will take the time to fit you properly and make sure that you are comfortable with your purchase.

Find a shop that will listen to you and work with you to recommend solutions. Don't reveal a $3000 budget (duh) because this will bias the salesman. Talk about needs and requirements. Be willing to admit what you do not know, and have a reasonable conversation on the subject of what will meet your needs best.

Don't get upsold and don't fall for marketing hype. Good luck.
Old 08-15-17, 07:08 AM
KenR

Bikes: 2017 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, 2005 Specialized Roubaix Elite, 2016 Trek 7.4FX hybrid

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My experience runs a bit contrary to many of the posters here. Last year I decided to get back into riding after a long layoff, so after some shopping around, I purchased a Trek 7.4 FX. Excellent hybrid. However, after a while I realized that I was pushing the hybrid to its limits and that maybe it was time to get a road bike. Spent weeks researching and test riding about 8-9 different bikes and decided on a carbon Giant Defy with tubeless tires, disk brakes and full Ultegra groupset. Very happy with my choice. Other than a couple of small changes (25 to 28 tires and different cassette) I don't have the need to upgrade to another bike as I (hopefully) improve. I've got a great bike already.

Just my experience. Whatever you feel is the right choice is probably the right choice.
Old 08-16-17, 04:19 PM
Swede1

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Here it is....sans the pedals (waiting for shoes--apparently I have incredibly wonky feet)...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20170815_194619.jpg (99.3 KB, 96 views)
Old 08-16-17, 05:29 PM
bigbiker1

Bikes: 2013 All City Mr. Pink, 2016 Jamis DXT Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Swede1
Here it is....sans the pedals (waiting for shoes--apparently I have incredibly wonky feet)...
Specialized have some of the best looking late model bikes for sure. Man that is a great looking bike!!!
Old 08-16-17, 06:56 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Liked 3,710 Times in 1,954 Posts
Originally Posted by bigbiker1
Specialized have some of the best looking late model bikes for sure. Man that is a great looking bike!!!
Doesn't look That good ... because it isn't parked in My garage. Otherwise, love the color.
Old 08-18-17, 07:58 AM
Sangetsu

Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
It really doesn't matter what you get, a bike is a bike. Fundamentally, all the bikes you are looking at are either aluminum or carbon, and will have the same components. You are safe enough to choose by looks, buy the one you think looks best, just make sure it is the right size.

You don't even have to bother with a new bike. Too many bikes are bought on impulse, lightly used, if at all, and then sold for half or less what they cost, to make room for the next toy.

For $3k I would get something like a Cinelli Super Corsa (steel is real, my friend), and a decent group of parts to decorate it with. It's a bike which will continue to look cool long after the current trend of swoopy carbon and fat tubes become unfashionable.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.