Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Beginner Needing Advice

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Beginner Needing Advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-17, 03:52 PM
raymour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Beginner Needing Advice

I'm a complete beginner looking to get into commuting with a bike. I'm looking for more of a sport hybrid. I'll be riding 3 miles both ways (one decent hill) plus any fitness and enjoyment riding I might want to do which might include dirt trails. I was trying to find an affordable used bike but honestly, I don't even know what I need or should stay away from. I want something that is comfortable and I enjoy using or I know I won't use it.

My number one pick right now is the Fuji Traverse 1.7 Disc ST. I've also found a good price on a used Fuji Crosstown 1.3 disc. I think the Absolute is a little bit more than I'm looking to spent. The traverse seems like the perfect mix of road and trail for what I'm looking to do.

I've also been looking at the Giant Escape 3 and Sedona DX. I'm going to ride some Giants tomorrow. Is there any significant advantages to a Giant vs Fuji vs Trek? Should I look into Trek above Fuji or Giant? (I would have to find a dealer near me as I haven't come across one yet.)

Are there any other hybrids worth looking into that do well on trail and pavement? I'm trying to stay as far under $500 as possible which I know is hard but this is my first bike. Sorry I'm so clueless! Any advice would be appreciated!

Last edited by raymour; 08-03-17 at 04:49 PM.
Old 08-03-17, 04:49 PM
downeaster59

Bikes: Cannondale Quick CX 4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by raymour
I'm a complete beginner looking to get into commuting with a bike. I'm looking for more of a sport hybrid. I'll be riding 3 miles both ways (one decent hill) plus any fitness and enjoyment riding I might want to do which might include dirt trails. I was trying to find an affordable used bike but honestly, I don't even know what I need or should stay away from. I want something that is comfortable and I enjoy using or I know I won't use it. I've been looking at the Fuji Traverse, Crosstown and Absolute (I've pretty much ruled the crosstown out but I did find one for a really good price so I wanted to see if anyone had used one?) I've also been looking at the Giant Escape 3 and Sedona DX. I've ridden the Fuji Traverse (and really enjoyed it) and I'm going to ride some Giants tomorrow. Is there any significant advantages to a Giant vs Fuji vs Trek? Are there any other hybrids worth looking into that do well on trail and pavement? I'm trying to stay as far under $500 as possible which I know is hard but this is my first bike. Sorry I'm so clueless! Any advice would be appreciated!
All the bikes you mentioned are good. You'll find advocates here for each one! Let me make a suggestion to add to your list: the Cannondale Quick CX 4. It does pretty well on pavement, and quite well on dirt/gravel rail trails. A new one will run you around $600 (unless you catch a good sale), but you might find a couple of used ones about that will be more affordable for you.

In any case, try a number of bikes before you decide. Chances are, one will feel more "right" to you than the others.
Old 08-03-17, 04:58 PM
raymour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by downeaster59
All the bikes you mentioned are good. You'll find advocates here for each one! Let me make a suggestion to add to your list: the Cannondale Quick CX 4. It does pretty well on pavement, and quite well on dirt/gravel rail trails. A new one will run you around $600 (unless you catch a good sale), but you might find a couple of used ones about that will be more affordable for you.

In any case, try a number of bikes before you decide. Chances are, one will feel more "right" to you than the others.
I had briefly looked at that bike but ruled it out initially because of price. From the research I've been doing, it keeps coming up, though. I think I'll have to go ride that one tomorrow as well! My first budget was 200 and that went out the window quickly lol!
Old 08-03-17, 06:08 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Liked 768 Times in 573 Posts
All of the brands you mentioned are indeed good brands. And it's like like Chevrolet vs. Ford where each one is filled with OEM parts. The only thing the manufacturer really designs on these things is the frame and its geometry. They also obviously pick the parts, but all of the parts are generally either off-the-shelf components (like Shimano drivetrain parts, KMC chains, Tektro brakes, etc) or are house-brand parts that are manufactured by others to certain specifications (like Giant brand wheels or Bontrager/Trek brand wheels). Giant is notable for having Giant-branded tires (nearly everything on a Giant is branded "Giant"), but the tires are made to their specs, probably by Kenda. Same with Bontrager tires on a Trek.

I will make a note about two of the Giants you mentioned, the Escape and the Sedona. Both are excellent bikes, but are really from two different molds. The Escape is what I call a "performance hybrid", where the frame has geometry that's a little more aggressive and the riding position is a little further forward. Good for speed, aero, efficiency, etc. The Sedona is what I call a "comfort hybrid", with a more relaxed geometry and a more upright riding position. And actually, the Sedona uses 26" wheels whereas the others on your list use 700c wheels. The Giant model you might consider in this niche is the Cypress. It uses 700c wheels but has a relaxed style like the Sedona.

I won't tell you what's best for you -- you really need to ride as many bikes as you can and then decide which one spoke to you (pardon the pun). You'll probably "feel it" right away -- your body will tell you what fits the best and what feels the best. Even the most comfort-oriented bike will support a 3-mile commute, plus weekend recreational riding. Which bike feels the best to you will depend on what your body prefers, ergonomically.

If you're going to a Specialized dealer, check out a Roll. I really want to test drive one of these guys.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bi...s/fitness/roll

They make 'em in both step-through frame and traditional top bar frame. Super wide tires would make for great impact absorption and traction on uneven surfaces. They have super-slack sub-70 degree head angles (which means it'll be really stable). They even make one with a rack and fenders included for commuting, and all the derailleur cabling is internal:

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bi...port-eq/118221

Looks like a fun ride!
Old 08-03-17, 08:39 PM
raymour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
All of the brands you mentioned are indeed good brands. And it's like like Chevrolet vs. Ford where each one is filled with OEM parts. The only thing the manufacturer really designs on these things is the frame and its geometry. They also obviously pick the parts, but all of the parts are generally either off-the-shelf components (like Shimano drivetrain parts, KMC chains, Tektro brakes, etc) or are house-brand parts that are manufactured by others to certain specifications (like Giant brand wheels or Bontrager/Trek brand wheels). Giant is notable for having Giant-branded tires (nearly everything on a Giant is branded "Giant"), but the tires are made to their specs, probably by Kenda. Same with Bontrager tires on a Trek.

I will make a note about two of the Giants you mentioned, the Escape and the Sedona. Both are excellent bikes, but are really from two different molds. The Escape is what I call a "performance hybrid", where the frame has geometry that's a little more aggressive and the riding position is a little further forward. Good for speed, aero, efficiency, etc. The Sedona is what I call a "comfort hybrid", with a more relaxed geometry and a more upright riding position. And actually, the Sedona uses 26" wheels whereas the others on your list use 700c wheels. The Giant model you might consider in this niche is the Cypress. It uses 700c wheels but has a relaxed style like the Sedona.

I won't tell you what's best for you -- you really need to ride as many bikes as you can and then decide which one spoke to you (pardon the pun). You'll probably "feel it" right away -- your body will tell you what fits the best and what feels the best. Even the most comfort-oriented bike will support a 3-mile commute, plus weekend recreational riding. Which bike feels the best to you will depend on what your body prefers, ergonomically.

If you're going to a Specialized dealer, check out a Roll. I really want to test drive one of these guys.

They make 'em in both step-through frame and traditional top bar frame. Super wide tires would make for great impact absorption and traction on uneven surfaces. They have super-slack sub-70 degree head angles (which means it'll be really stable). They even make one with a rack and fenders included for commuting, and all the derailleur cabling is internal:

Looks like a fun ride!
I'm headed to a Cannondale/Specialized dealer tomorrow as well so I'll make sure I try the Roll and let you know! Thanks for the suggestions! I'm hoping to eventually start riding over 10 miles a day so I'm trying to find something comfortable enough for beginner/casual use but functional enough for longer rides as well.
Old 08-04-17, 05:07 AM
downeaster59

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[MENTION=455851]hokiefyd[/MENTION]: That Roll looks interesting, too! I hadn't seen that model before. It should be great for relatively short rides. I wonder how it would feel for, say, rides of 20+ miles? But each bike has its intended purpose.
Old 08-04-17, 06:24 AM
hokiefyd 

I'm headed to a Cannondale/Specialized dealer tomorrow as well so I'll make sure I try the Roll and let you know! Thanks for the suggestions! I'm hoping to eventually start riding over 10 miles a day so I'm trying to find something comfortable enough for beginner/casual use but functional enough for longer rides as well.
Geometry plays a part in that, but I think grips and saddle are at least as important. And those ARE some things that are easily changed about a bike. As an example, I have a 2015 Trek Verve 3, perhaps one of the LEAST sporty of the hybrid class. It's very much designed to be an upright cruiser bike. I've done 10 miles on it before, though. On July 30, my daughter and I went for an evening ride and I took the Verve. We rode 10.2 miles and averaged 8.8 mph. We rode easy, stopped to walk through some new construction houses here and there, and just enjoyed being out. This morning, I rode my 1997 Trek 750 for 10.2 miles with an average speed of 11.0 mph. I was by myself and I didn't stop much.

The biggest shortcoming to the Verve is the weight. It's 33 pounds according to an old digital bathroom scale we have -- and that's about what I'd expect for a large frame aluminum comfort hybrid with a suspension fork and a rear rack. It also has a suspension seat post and the saddle itself is heavy. One can do distance on this bike, but it's certainly not as efficient as something lighter. My 750 weighs 29 pounds, with a butterfly trekking bar and a rear rack. Trek claims it's about 25 pounds (the stuff I've added has likely added to the weight). The saddle is also a touch heavier than the stock saddle (which was pretty light). It's a LOT easier to pedal the 750 around.

You mentioned some dirt trails. I think that should probably move bikes like the Giant Roam and Fuji Traverse to the head of your list. Specialized's bike in that category is the Crosstrail. Trek offers the Dual Sport (DS). These have a bit wider tires than many bikes, a front suspension fork which really does help off road (I use my Verve off road often, I like the fork in that use). Bikes like the sportier Giant Escape and Trek FX will also work, but they have narrower tires that won't offer as much confidence off the paved trail. That category would not be my first choice for mixed use.

This is why I think the Roll is interesting. It uses relatively wide (2.3") 650b tires (rather than 700c like the rest of these bikes). There is no suspension fork (can be a good thing), but the plush tires take a lot of the impact away. You can also spec a slightly different handlebar on the Roll -- it looks like most models have a high rise handlebar, but they sell one model (the City model) that has more of a flat bar.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bi...ll-city/118223

You wouldn't have to spend that much on one -- you could buy one of the other Roll models and put a flat bar on it, if you wanted to lower the riding position and have more weight up front.

Lots of options, and this is one reason I like bikes so much. You can mix-and-match to your heart's desire, and there's also a seemingly endless number of options if you want something showroom stock.

Good luck!
Old 08-04-17, 07:40 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
You may very well find yourself riding quite a bit more than 10 miles a day if cycling becomes your thing. And even if it doesn't, a few bucks spent upfront is still money well spent, since upgrading an entry level bike is almost always more expensive than just buying something higher spec'd to begin with. So consider spending a little more than you think you should up front to avoid spending money on upgrades later. Second, I would advise you and all beginners to get a bike a bit sportier than you think you need. With a few tweeks, it will be plenty comfortable for casual jaunts to the grocery store or into town for a coffee with friends, but will also be capable of 20, 30 or even the occasional 60 mile ride should cycling become your thing.

I understand a budget but, IMO, $450 to $500 retail (less if you can get something on sale) is about the lowest I would go and it isn't out of the question to stretch your budget a bit to $600 or $700 if you can swing it. The reason is that especially when it comes to flat bar hybrids, you get the most money for your dollar in the $500 to $800 price range.
Old 08-04-17, 12:52 PM
mrodgers

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
The biggest shortcoming to the Verve is the weight. It's 33 pounds according to an old digital bathroom scale we have -- and that's about what I'd expect for a large frame aluminum comfort hybrid with a suspension fork and a rear rack. It also has a suspension seat post and the saddle itself is heavy. One can do distance on this bike, but it's certainly not as efficient as something lighter. My 750 weighs 29 pounds, with a butterfly trekking bar and a rear rack. Trek claims it's about 25 pounds (the stuff I've added has likely added to the weight). The saddle is also a touch heavier than the stock saddle (which was pretty light). It's a LOT easier to pedal the 750 around.
Weight means nothing. I just spent 7 days in New York and wanted to lean my bike against a tree. Had to get help from my buddy to pick the back end up to move it closer to the tree. I should have weighed the thing just to see. Unladen with just the rear rack it is 34 lb. With my bags packed, I literally could not lift up the back end. Climbed some nice hills with that weight on the bike. It was nothing.
Old 08-04-17, 02:06 PM
raymour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I rode a ton of bikes today. As of right now, I've narrowed it down to the Specialized Crossroads Sport, Trek Verve 3 (with the 9x3 drivetrain), and Giant Cypress DX. The giant is the only one with front suspension that I rode. Do I really need front suspension that adds that extra 5 lbs? I tried the Cannondale Quick and Specialized Vita which I felt were a little more performance/sport oriented than I had been looking for (and every time I hit a bump I think I bruised my pelvis) I did ride a carbon frame Vita though which was crazy light and a super nice bike but I don't think I can swing $800. I really like the suspension seat on all the others. All the ones I've narrowed it down have the adjustable stem and handle bar placement which I like as a beginner. Could I replace that with a straight bar down the road? I was hoping that one would stand out but I feel like I liked and disliked all the same things about each bike. They are all crazy similar.
Old 08-04-17, 02:19 PM
raymour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Geometry plays a part in that, but I think grips and saddle are at least as important. And those ARE some things that are easily changed about a bike. As an example, I have a 2015 Trek Verve 3, perhaps one of the LEAST sporty of the hybrid class. It's very much designed to be an upright cruiser bike. I've done 10 miles on it before, though. On July 30, my daughter and I went for an evening ride and I took the Verve. We rode 10.2 miles and averaged 8.8 mph. We rode easy, stopped to walk through some new construction houses here and there, and just enjoyed being out. This morning, I rode my 1997 Trek 750 for 10.2 miles with an average speed of 11.0 mph. I was by myself and I didn't stop much.

You mentioned some dirt trails. I think that should probably move bikes like the Giant Roam and Fuji Traverse to the head of your list. Specialized's bike in that category is the Crosstrail. Trek offers the Dual Sport (DS). These have a bit wider tires than many bikes, a front suspension fork which really does help off road (I use my Verve off road often, I like the fork in that use). Bikes like the sportier Giant Escape and Trek FX will also work, but they have narrower tires that won't offer as much confidence off the paved trail. That category would not be my first choice for mixed use.

This is why I think the Roll is interesting. It uses relatively wide (2.3") 650b tires (rather than 700c like the rest of these bikes). There is no suspension fork (can be a good thing), but the plush tires take a lot of the impact away. You can also spec a slightly different handlebar on the Roll -- it looks like most models have a high rise handlebar, but they sell one model

You wouldn't have to spend that much on one -- you could buy one of the other Roll models and put a flat bar on it, if you wanted to lower the riding position and have more weight up front.

Lots of options, and this is one reason I like bikes so much. You can mix-and-match to your heart's desire, and there's also a seemingly endless number of options if you want something showroom stock.

Good luck!
The Roll was a super fun ride! The dealer steered me away from it though because if it's upright position. The Trek dealer never even showed me the DS, he really wanted to get me on a Verve 2 or 3. That's what is so scary about buying a bike as a beginner, though! How do I know if I should buy and customize something not quite perfect or buy more expensive and downgrade parts to make it comfortable enough for me to use (like adding suspension seat and upright handle bars) or get something right in the middle with adjustable stem and handlebars but not quite the comfort of the lower grade and not quite the performance of the better bikes?
Old 08-04-17, 03:03 PM
downeaster59

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Roll was a super fun ride! The dealer steered me away from it though because if it's upright position. The Trek dealer never even showed me the DS, he really wanted to get me on a Verve 2 or 3. That's what is so scary about buying a bike as a beginner, though! How do I know if I should buy and customize something not quite perfect or buy more expensive and downgrade parts to make it comfortable enough for me to use (like adding suspension seat and upright handle bars) or get something right in the middle with adjustable stem and handlebars but not quite the comfort of the lower grade and not quite the performance of the better bikes?
You said in your first post that you wanted a bike that was comfortable and that you would enjoy using. Sounds like the Roll scored for you on both counts! Did you try the Verve, and if so, how did you like it compared to the Roll? Don't overthink this. Get a bike that you will love to ride. (That's the whole point, isn't it?) Then, once you've ridden it for a while and get used to it, you will get a better feel for how you want to ride. Then, you will be ready to think about changing components and such. You can then fine tune your bike to be the best at what you want to do.
Old 08-04-17, 03:41 PM
raymour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You said in your first post that you wanted a bike that was comfortable and that you would enjoy using. Sounds like the Roll scored for you on both counts! Did you try the Verve, and if so, how did you like it compared to the Roll? Don't overthink this. Get a bike that you will love to ride. (That's the whole point, isn't it?) Then, once you've ridden it for a while and get used to it, you will get a better feel for how you want to ride. Then, you will be ready to think about changing components and such. You can then fine tune your bike to be the best at what you want to do.
Honestly, I liked the Giant Cypress DX the best of everything I've ridden so far. It was also the only one that I got to ride on a nice track for a longer period of time. However, I did notice that I had to stretch for the handle bars and my forearms were a little strained. It also has a suspension fork in the front (which some people told me to stay away from and others said it was helpful and the weight doesn't matter) I didn't ride the Roam but I suppose I should. It has the disc brakes, 9x3 drivetrain but straight bars instead of adjustable stem. Is there a major disadvantage to the adjustable bars? Could eventually I switch them for straight bars even though the bike itself is made for a more upright riding?

I tried the Verve (unfortunately this LBS only allows trials on the standing rack thing so I couldn't try it outside). I really liked the Verve 3 in the men's style. They don't make the Verve 3 in women's past a 19 inch and that was way too cramped. I liked the 9x3 drive train on the verve, I don't really think I need it but it definitely shifts smoother! I liked the lock comfort grips they had on it (but I guess I could put them on anything) The Roll is definitely a fun, casual cruiser and if I didn't want to start doing longer I rides, it would probably work well. I liked it better comfort-wise but that could also be that it had a cruiser saddle already on lol! It doesn't feel like it would do well for if I wanted to do a faster, farther, more aggressive ride though.

The Specialized Crossroads felt good as well. There wasn't anything that I really loved but there wasn't anything I disliked either. I didn't feel like I was stretching like with the Cypress, though.

Last edited by raymour; 08-04-17 at 03:58 PM.
Old 08-04-17, 06:37 PM
hokiefyd 

Honestly, I liked the Giant Cypress DX the best of everything I've ridden so far. It was also the only one that I got to ride on a nice track for a longer period of time. However, I did notice that I had to stretch for the handle bars and my forearms were a little strained. It also has a suspension fork in the front (which some people told me to stay away from and others said it was helpful and the weight doesn't matter).
Don't listen to us -- listen to YOU! If the suspension fork feels good to you, and you like the Cypress, then buy it! My Verve 3 is nearly exactly the same as the Cypress you're considering. It's a 2015 model, and they had suspension forks back then. Upright seating position, soft ride, very enjoyable.

If you Like it, Buy it!
Old 08-04-17, 07:48 PM
downeaster59

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Quick CX 4 has a suspension fork. Definitely worth it on dirt/gravel or rough pavement. Unless you plan to do all your riding on smooth pavement, a suspension fork is a good idea!

With the Cypress - or any bike - you can make some adjustments (the saddle, the handlebars) so that you won't have too much of a stretch. That problem can be easily solved with a good fit.
Old 08-04-17, 08:12 PM
BookFinder 
Lifelong wheel gazer ...

Bikes: All garage sale finds...

Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
My Quick CX 4 has a suspension fork. Definitely worth it on dirt/gravel or rough pavement. Unless you plan to do all your riding on smooth pavement, a suspension fork is a good idea!

With the Cypress - or any bike - you can make some adjustments (the saddle, the handlebars) so that you won't have too much of a stretch. That problem can be easily solved with a good fit.
+1 on the merits of a suspension fork.

The "5 lbs of extra weight" is a misleading flag. You will not be carrying that weight on your back, and you will not be riding the Tour de France on the particular bike. I do not consider 5 lbs a deal breaker.

My MTB has hybrid tires and a suspension front fork and while it is a solid 15 lbs heavier than my Giant road bike, it is still an effortless and comfortable ride because of the gearing and the perfect (for me) ergonomics.

What I'm suggesting is to go with your most comfortable fit within your budget. And if a bike you like has the suspension fork, don't let the little bit of extra weight scare you away from it. As noted above, they are really nice when the pavement is rough ... or when one also has a damaged rotator cuff, which I do.

Status quo is the mental bastion of the intellectually lethargic...
Old 08-05-17, 10:00 PM
a1penguin

Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Generally bike stores are willing to swap out stems for shorter ones at no charge. So if a bike has a long reach, a shorter stem can help. If you are interested in a specific bike, but feel like the fit isn't quite right, work with the LBS to dial in the fit. It can take a while for your body to toughen up and get used to the seat. As I've been doing longer rides as the weather improved, it took time for my butt to get used to riding for so long. I also have learned to take my butt off the seat for a while and give it a rest.

Here's my take on a suspension fork on entry level bikes. A suspension fork has a higher cost than a rigid fork. If you compared two bikes at the same price but one has suspension fork and the other doesn't, the one with the suspension will have used cheaper components elsewhere to make up for the increased cost of the suspension fork.

Another comparison is tire size. A larger tire size runs at lower pressure and provides a smoother ride. You might want to consider the largest tire size each bike will accommodate. The same bike with underinflated vs overinflated tires will have different ride. The one with higher pressure will transmit road bumps to rider, while the squishy, underinflated tires will absorb more of the road unevenness.

Don't be afraid to go back for additional test rides.

I don't think you'll go wrong with any of these bikes. But the first rule of purchasing a bike is that IT MUST FIT. Otherwise, you won't like riding it and it will collect cobwebs in the garage.
Old 08-06-17, 06:58 PM
raymour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by a1penguin
Generally bike stores are willing to swap out stems for shorter ones at no charge. So if a bike has a long reach, a shorter stem can help. If you are interested in a specific bike, but feel like the fit isn't quite right, work with the LBS to dial in the fit. It can take a while for your body to toughen up and get used to the seat. As I've been doing longer rides as the weather improved, it took time for my butt to get used to riding for so long. I also have learned to take my butt off the seat for a while and give it a rest.

Here's my take on a suspension fork on entry level bikes. A suspension fork has a higher cost than a rigid fork. If you compared two bikes at the same price but one has suspension fork and the other doesn't, the one with the suspension will have used cheaper components elsewhere to make up for the increased cost of the suspension fork.

Another comparison is tire size. A larger tire size runs at lower pressure and provides a smoother ride. You might want to consider the largest tire size each bike will accommodate. The same bike with underinflated vs overinflated tires will have different ride. The one with higher pressure will transmit road bumps to rider, while the squishy, underinflated tires will absorb more of the road unevenness.

Don't be afraid to go back for additional test rides.

I don't think you'll go wrong with any of these bikes. But the first rule of purchasing a bike is that IT MUST FIT. Otherwise, you won't like riding it and it will collect cobwebs in the garage.
Of the bikes I've ridden, the price goes up with the suspension fork. The Giant Cypress has a version with a solid fork, however, some of the components are lesser than that on the Cypress DX (like 21 gear instead of 24) so I had ruled that out. This might be a stupid question but do all suspension forks lock? I've been looking at the Roam and it specifically says that it has lockout whereas the Cypress does not. Is that a good thing to have for city riding on a suspension fork? I'm going back to the LBS tomorrow to do a couple miles test rides in the adjacent park with the Giant Cypress DX and Giant Roam 3 and see how I feel between the more sporty position of the Roam vs the comfort, upright position of the Cypress.
Old 08-07-17, 01:09 AM
djmcnz
Noob Rider

Bikes: Sirrus Expert Carbon

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
...but do all suspension forks lock?
Good question and no, they don't.

Is that a good thing to have for city riding on a suspension fork?
If you use it then yes, it can be. Many people actually 'set-and-forget'. A 'remote lockout' is probably the best setup because that allows you lock and unlock from the handlebars which means you'll probably use it more which is the ideal situation.

Having said that - there are very few cases for a front suspension fork for "city riding" unless you live in a 3rd world city with unpaved roads.
Old 08-07-17, 01:13 AM
coominya

Bikes: Giant ToughRoad Giant talon

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I'm a complete beginner looking to get into commuting with a bike.
My advice would be to take your time, wait until you are absolutely certain which bike you want because you'll be riding it for a lot longer that the time you take deciding. Most noobs come in confused by the choices, then get more confused, then just before they have a chance to figure it all out, pull the pin on some bike.
Old 08-07-17, 04:55 AM
raymour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by djmcnz
Good question and no, they don't.

If you use it then yes, it can be. Many people actually 'set-and-forget'. A 'remote lockout' is probably the best setup because that allows you lock and unlock from the handlebars which means you'll probably use it more which is the ideal situation.

Having said that - there are very few cases for a front suspension fork for "city riding" unless you live in a 3rd world city with unpaved roads.
What I meant was that is it probably a good thing to be able to lock it when I'm riding on the road or around town because, as you said, it's unnecessary? On some threads, I've seen people saying that a cheaper front suspension can be dangerous too if it dips when coming down hills or turning. I live in an area that has dirt roads and a lot of trails once you get out of the smaller city which is why I'm looking at something I can take off road too hence the reason they all seem to have suspension forks.

Last edited by raymour; 08-07-17 at 05:48 AM.
Old 08-07-17, 05:08 AM
raymour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by coominya
My advice would be to take your time, wait until you are absolutely certain which bike you want because you'll be riding it for a lot longer that the time you take deciding. Most noobs come in confused by the choices, then get more confused, then just before they have a chance to figure it all out, pull the pin on some bike.
I'm starting to realize that! I thought if I did all the research and went and test rode, I would just know which one I wanted... definitely not lol I keep learning more about components, postion, etc and I don't take a $500 purchase lightly. I was talking to the guy at the Giant LBS and he said you wouldn't believe the number of people that come in here, point at a bike because of the color, ride it in a circle and buy it within 5 minutes. That is crazy to me.
Old 08-07-17, 02:39 PM
BookFinder 
Lifelong wheel gazer ...

Bikes: All garage sale finds...

Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
I'm starting to realize that! I thought if I did all the research and went and test rode, I would just know which one I wanted... definitely not lol I keep learning more about components, postion, etc and I don't take a $500 purchase lightly. I was talking to the guy at the Giant LBS and he said you wouldn't believe the number of people that come in here, point at a bike because of the color, ride it in a circle and buy it within 5 minutes. That is crazy to me.
Yes, I agree with the crazy side of that. I live in a college down and have several friends who manage rental properties. It is amazing how many high quality bicycles are just abandoned when the students leave each spring after graduation. Some people have no sense of the value of a dollar.

I am also an avid motorcyclist and is it mind boggling to realize how many impulse-buy $8,000 to $12,000 low mileage motorcycles there are in the carports across the country.

Unless you are the 1 in 10,000 who hits it perfect on the first try, anything you buy will take a bit of tweaking to make it completely comfortable. So when you know the size frame and other general specs you are hunting, you can shop and pounce on a deal.

The upshot is that if you can find it, there is an impulse-buy garage queen bicycle out there somewhere that can be your perfect fit.

Status quo is the mental bastion of the intellectually lethargic...
Old 08-07-17, 02:49 PM
raymour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BookFinder
Yes, I agree with the crazy side of that. I live in a college down and have several friends who manage rental properties. It is amazing how many high quality bicycles are just abandoned when the students leave each spring after graduation. Some people have no sense of the value of a dollar.

I am also an avid motorcyclist and is it mind boggling to realize how many impulse-buy $8,000 to $12,000 low mileage motorcycles there are in the carports across the country.

Unless you are the 1 in 10,000 who hits it perfect on the first try, anything you buy will take a bit of tweaking to make it completely comfortable. So when you know the size frame and other general specs you are hunting, you can shop and pounce on a deal.

The upshot is that if you can find it, there is an impulse-buy garage queen bicycle out there somewhere that can be your perfect fit.

I'm moving to transfer to Clemson and I'm leaning towards waiting to buy because they have a space on campus called the ReCycle Shop that takes abandoned bikes left on campus after each semester, fixes them up, and "adopts" them to students who fill out an application for just the price of the parts fix. You never know, they might have something perfect and if not, I can just go to the LBS and buy the Giant I was going to buy at home. Which is probably better considering I could actually utilize the free service stuff
Old 08-07-17, 03:28 PM
Leisesturm

Liked 782 Times in 546 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2
I understand a budget but, IMO, $450 to $500 retail (less if you can get something on sale) is about the lowest I would go and it isn't out of the question to stretch your budget a bit to $600 or $700 if you can swing it. The reason is that especially when it comes to flat bar hybrids, you get the most money for your dollar in the $500 to $800 price range.
Having just recently shopped for a road bike I have to disagree. If I wanted a hybrid I could have spent $500 and gotten something with disc brakes and 9sp cassette. If I wanted to spend $400 I could have gotten something with v-brakes and 8sp. $300? You can find v-brakes and 7sp. But I wanted a drop bar roadbike. The absolute bottom rung of major brand road bikes is in the $700+ and you do not get discs or 10sp at that low altitude. You get dual pivot sidepull and 8sp cassette and Shimano Claris. I lucked out and got a carbon fork. I didn't see anyone mention Trek in this thread and IMO the o.p. could do worse than something in the FX series. But what I came here to say was all this focus on FIT. It really is misplaced. A total novice has no clue that proper fit feels like. Maybe they CAN'T be fit properly because they are so unfit that even a proper fit feels 'wrong'. So if they go by how they 'feel'. What are they going to buy? Nothing. I have a 50cm touring bike I got from a co-op when money was tight. I'm 5'10.5". I also have a vintage Team U.S.A that in modern terminology would be 60cm. Both bikes FIT. The Trek 1.1 I just bought is a 58cm. Some would say I should have bought a 56cm. Guess what, they didn't have one! A $750 roadbike with a carbon fork on sale for $599 because it is the last one left and I'm going to quibble about 2cm? Uh... no! I'll get a shorter stem if I must, but so far I haven't had to do anything. It fits fine. Which means I'm not likely to fall asleep while riding to work. If you need your commute bike to be so comfortable that you can, indeed fall asleep on it... get a recumbent.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.