Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Tires and Tubes

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-17, 05:02 PM
eric044

Bikes: Nashbar Race SIS, Spalding Road Step Through Single Speed, Kent Road Single Speed, 630 Cruiser, Fuji Odessa mountain bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Tires and Tubes

With a fixed road bike that takes a 28mm tire or 32mm tire, would you prefer 28mm with a thorn resistant tube or 32mm tire with a regular tube at around the same psi, based on experience? Anyone prefer to use both because of a slight difference finding both ways are enjoyable?

My experience so far leads me to believe most people would say they don't know or suggest the larger tire. But, there may be people that prefer the thorn resistant tube that I haven't read. I have a cruiser with regular 1.0mm tubes but have had problems with flats on road bikes with 1.0mm tubes. I bet the larger tire size would work on the road bikes but I have enjoyed thorn resistant tubes so far. I suppose rim depth and other component sizes and frame sizes are relevant. Maybe I will need to reconsider as setups change.
Old 08-16-17, 05:44 PM
eric044

Bikes: Nashbar Race SIS, Spalding Road Step Through Single Speed, Kent Road Single Speed, 630 Cruiser, Fuji Odessa mountain bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Granted I am not an expert on psi and someone might want to try a simplest comprehensive explanation. One might also want to opine on 30mm tires and similar sized tires.
Old 08-16-17, 05:54 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3805 Post(s)
Liked 5,808 Times in 2,935 Posts
Originally Posted by eric044
try a simplest comprehensive explanation
Yes +1!!
Old 08-16-17, 09:47 PM
GMJ
Would you just look at it

Bikes: good ones.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I would go with the 32mm with a regular tube. I've never heard anyone have anything positive to say about thorn resistant tubes. I feel like a goat-head or nail is going to pop a tube regardless of its "thorn-proofness".

The only reason I suggest a higher volume tire is that it would likely improve ride quality while maybe giving you more rubber between the tube and the road.
Old 08-17-17, 07:39 AM
eric044

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good point about rubber between tube and road. Given the dynamic shape of rims I suppose in some cases the rubber of a 32mm tire will feel heavy and the sidewalls will move whereas a 28-30mm with a thorn resistant tube may provide a better seal around the sidewalls. I suppose one could fill too much, e.g. 32mm tire with thorn resistant tube in some cases. In some cases the tire and tube combo may be so tight that you compromise the tire changing a tube or maybe even just riding, leading to more flats.
Old 08-17-17, 02:49 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone, 2023 Surly Disk Trucker

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 708 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 260 Posts
Eric,

I ride both a 28's and 32's on two different fixed gear bikes. The 28 is noticeably more nimble, to me at least, but the 32 isn't far behind. Both are Challenge brand open tubulars, which are awesome. The 32 does provide a smoother ride though. I wouldn't opt for puncture resistant tubes. I've tried them and they ruin the ride making the wheels feel heavy and sluggish. If a majority of your pavement is fairly smooth I'd go with 28's. If many sections are bumpy I'd go with 32's and 86 the thorn resistant tubes. Carry two spare tubes in your seatbag instead.