Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Gazelle Superieur resuscitation

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-17, 04:37 AM
seboros

Bikes: Bianchi Rekord 839, Francesco Moser 51.151, a red Olmo, Raleigh Team Panasonic, Bianchi SL470, Gazelle Superieur

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

My friend called me to ask if I want a bike for free. His wife does not want to use the junky old Dutch bike as a garden decoration to hold flower pots anymore.

Turns out to be a Gazelle Superieur. If the serial number they used is similar to Raleigh's, then GK6 might mean:

G = Gazelle factory
K = July
6 = 1976 or 1986

It has the standard Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub, a british threaded bottom bracket, cottered cranks, Weinmann Vainqueur 999 Red Brakes and a bent fork blade.

The frame looks undamaged (it passed the string test with a 2 mm deviation from left string to seat tube to right string to seat tube). I plan on realigning the fork blades (it's got no buckling or cracking) and use it as my city bike.

The grand plan:
Shed as much weight as possible. No drive train guard, no mudguards, no lights, no generator, no kickstand, fixed gear, front brake, 30–40mm tyres. Leave the paint on. Being left in the rain for some time, it's got a very nice patina. You don't know for sure which part is paint brown and which is rust. The golden lettering and pinstriping add a touch of steampunkness. Initially I thought of building it with golden or copper looking parts. Luckily I saw a Cinelli Gazetta in the window of a hipsteresque bar. The poor bike had every part golden except for the frame (deep section gold rims and everything). No more gold for Gazelle now.

Anyone knows anything about this model? Unfortunately I left everything but the frame to my grandma's in the countryside so I can't make out the year of manufacture judging by the parts until I get there.

Last edited by seboros; 02-17-17 at 04:39 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-17-17, 06:27 AM
Bikerider007

Bikes: Yes

Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
Nice stylish frame. I would lean toward the older year but know nothing of Gazelle. And I would have a tough time not leaving at least fenders on if you have.
Old 02-17-17, 06:43 AM
seboros

Bikes: Bianchi Rekord 839, Francesco Moser 51.151, a red Olmo, Raleigh Team Panasonic, Bianchi SL470, Gazelle Superieur

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for the input! I'll have too look for the fenders at grandma's. I don't remember if they were original. If they are, I'll consider installing them. Though I'd probably use it to ride along with my little girl on sunny weather.
Old 02-17-17, 07:21 AM
non-fixie 
Polymultiplié

Bikes: Yes, please.

Liked 4,896 Times in 1,833 Posts
The Gazelle Superieur was a rather popular upright sports model. They are still quite common in these parts, in fact so common that no one has bothered thus far to document anything about its history.

Yours is an earlier model, so I agree with [MENTION=417491]Bikerider007[/MENTION] that seventies is more likely. The later ones had drum brakes, and were a lot less interesting to look at. Yours has these elegant fork ends:

I'd be really tempted to use all those nice details and braze-ons and build a nice tourer with it, instead of a fixie. With inverted north road or even drop bars.

Old 02-17-17, 08:20 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Liked 969 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by seboros
My friend called me to ask if I want a bike for free. His wife does not want to use the junky old Dutch bike as a garden decoration to hold flower pots anymore.

Turns out to be a Gazelle Superieur. If the serial number they used is similar to Raleigh's, then GK6 might mean:

G = Gazelle factory
K = July
6 = 1976 or 1986
From 1981 they got 7-digit serial numbers. A 6 digit serial number with G* in front is from between 1974 and 1981. The first digit is the last digit of the year it was build in. Hence this is a 1976, which explains the colour. Actually Gazelle had two shades of dark brown in the seventies, I have one in the other, lighter, brown. It's the fork ends and chainstay ends that are a bit uncommon and probably typical for this model in that period.

70's is good, Gazelle only started cutting corners on quality in the 80's. So it's not even vintage yet. Bikes like that have been shipped in great numbers to Eastern Europe for at least a decade, because they are a bit underestimated in the Netherlands and they can only be sold as a 'trainstation bike', which can't be expensive. In Eastern Europe people appreciate the quality.

There's no point in preserving the original, but I don't see the point in trying to make a heavy bike light, it will still be a heavy bike with lots of naked braze-ons for things you left of. Weight is overestimated, it doesn't make a bike slower unless it's very hilly there, but then you shouldn't underestimate an SA3. I'd get a nice chrome outer cable for the SA and have it curve beautifully to the cable braze-ons, maybe chrome or wooden fenders with chrome supports, wide light coloured or white wall tyres, a nice shiny kickstand with a visible spring and maybe even a chrome front rack and show off it's original comfortable all purpose character in a new way. But that's just me.
Old 02-17-17, 01:44 PM
juvela

Liked 3,522 Times in 2,291 Posts
-----

BSC threaded shell mentioned.

You might wish to check width; possible it could be 70mm.

This could affect build plans if you envision a chainset change.

-----

Last edited by juvela; 02-17-17 at 01:44 PM. Reason: fix typo
Old 02-17-17, 02:37 PM
Slash5

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Nice that it's a BSA BB. Both Gazelle's I've had my hands on had a whacko press fit BB that I was unable to find any info on and would have had to be ordered from the Netherlands.
Old 02-17-17, 04:00 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Liked 6,577 Times in 3,776 Posts
Exactly this, spit, polish and chrome, it would be stunning.

Originally Posted by Stadjer
From 1981 they got 7-digit serial numbers. A 6 digit serial number with G* in front is from between 1974 and 1981. The first digit is the last digit of the year it was build in. Hence this is a 1976, which explains the colour. Actually Gazelle had two shades of dark brown in the seventies, I have one in the other, lighter, brown. It's the fork ends and chainstay ends that are a bit uncommon and probably typical for this model in that period.

70's is good, Gazelle only started cutting corners on quality in the 80's. So it's not even vintage yet. Bikes like that have been shipped in great numbers to Eastern Europe for at least a decade, because they are a bit underestimated in the Netherlands and they can only be sold as a 'trainstation bike', which can't be expensive. In Eastern Europe people appreciate the quality.

There's no point in preserving the original, but I don't see the point in trying to make a heavy bike light, it will still be a heavy bike with lots of naked braze-ons for things you left of. Weight is overestimated, it doesn't make a bike slower unless it's very hilly there, but then you shouldn't underestimate an SA3. I'd get a nice chrome outer cable for the SA and have it curve beautifully to the cable braze-ons, maybe chrome or wooden fenders with chrome supports, wide light coloured or white wall tyres, a nice shiny kickstand with a visible spring and maybe even a chrome front rack and show off it's original comfortable all purpose character in a new way. But that's just me.
Old 02-18-17, 02:57 AM
seboros

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thank you for the information! I have mostly italian lightweights and I thought this Gazelle was really nothing superieur. I also never really dug the extras on bikes. I remember as a kid I stripped my cruiser bike just to be in tune with the BMX trend.

But reading your advice makes me think this build over.
Old 02-18-17, 03:03 AM
seboros

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
-----

BSC threaded shell mentioned.

You might wish to check width; possible it could be 70mm.

This could affect build plans if you envision a chainset change.

-----
Measuring the bb shell width was among the first things I did. It's 68mm. I alteady have a Shimano BB UN 55 and a pair of Ofmega square tapered cranks to go with it. I was aware of the idiosyncratic bbs some dutch bikes had.
Old 02-18-17, 03:11 AM
seboros

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Thanks a lot, Stadjer! I never thought I could drool over a description of fenders and kickstands. First I envisioned this bike like a roadster along the lines of the path racers. You got me think this over.
Old 02-18-17, 05:09 AM
non-fixie 
Polymultiplié

Here's some more inspiration:

Old 02-18-17, 07:53 AM
seboros

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by non-fixie
What a delightfully quaint film! Thanks for sharing!
Old 02-18-17, 09:03 AM
Stadjer

Thank you for the information! I have mostly italian lightweights and I thought this Gazelle was really nothing superieur. I also never really dug the extras on bikes. I remember as a kid I stripped my cruiser bike just to be in tune with the BMX trend.
I happened to try to turn an old Gazelle into a 'cross bike' when I was about eleven and there was a BMX hype and my parents refused to by me one. It was a small roadster from my grandpa's shed, probably pre war. The stripping went well and getting it rolling again was easy and I was very pleased to discover a beautiful sprocket like in my user icon behind the fully enclosed chaincase. But it was even considerably heavier than the 70's Gazelles, but the most important thing was that the geometry was completely wrong for the purpose. And I got laughed at the BMX track. So I learned very early that one can't change a bike's character by stripping it.

Gazelle is not really that special, but it's probably to Dutch bikes what Mercedes is to German cars in many ways.

Thanks a lot, Stadjer! I never thought I could drool over a description of fenders and kickstands. First I envisioned this bike like a roadster along the lines of the path racers. You got me think this over.
I like the look of path racers too, and there appears to be custom bike cults over Eastern Europe which makes the mass export of good old Dutch bikes much easier to bear. That's why I suggested the wooden fenders, it's not just about the wood, but they are usually flat and not curved around the walls of the tyres. That gives a bike with fenders a very different look.

I'm looking forward to see what you come up with when you're done rethinking.
Old 02-18-17, 11:27 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Liked 6,006 Times in 2,338 Posts
Love the film. It's got everything I like about cycling in it - going off to explore new places, making new friends, lugged, steel framed bicycles, and getting a good appetite from rigorous exercise.

With all the lugged, steel bikes, saddlebags and people wearing "normal" clothing, it could be a Rivendell ad. Right around 7:30 in the video there's a common scene. 10 people standing around watching someone repair a flat, giving suggestions, telling him he's doing it wrong, making jokes...and fenders all around!

Last edited by gugie; 02-18-17 at 11:33 AM.
Old 02-18-17, 12:07 PM
non-fixie 
Polymultiplié

Originally Posted by gugie
With all the lugged, steel bikes, saddlebags and people wearing "normal" clothing, it could be a Rivendell ad.
Either that or it's from outside the US.

While I'm not necessarily a Rivendell fan, they do seem to be the only Americans who understand that you can actually ride a bike without dressing up in lycra and protective gear ... and live to tell about it.

From a current Gazelle ad:

Old 02-18-17, 12:39 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Liked 6,006 Times in 2,338 Posts
Either that or it's from outside the US.

While I'm not necessarily a Rivendell fan, they do seem to be the only Americans who understand that you can actually ride a bike without dressing up in lycra and protective gear ... and live to tell about it.
or they're from Portland:

Last edited by gugie; 02-18-17 at 12:43 PM.
Old 02-18-17, 03:57 PM
non-fixie 
Polymultiplié

Originally Posted by gugie
or they're from Portland:

Thanks, @gugie. Is that the Portland morning rush hour?

This is what it looks like in the outskirts of Amsterdam:

Old 02-19-17, 11:33 PM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Liked 545 Times in 270 Posts
Check out the cyclist hauling his bass Fiddle at about 1:17
Old 02-20-17, 05:57 AM
Stadjer

This is what it looks like in the outskirts of Amsterdam:
It's that kind of daily use that explains why Gazelle and a lot of other Dutch bikes are still quite good and worth a second life as someone's custom bike. It's really hard on bikes, I've had a Motobecane and a Peugeot but they really aren't made for that.
Old 02-20-17, 03:56 PM
seboros

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
It's that kind of daily use that explains why Gazelle and a lot of other Dutch bikes are still quite good and worth a second life as someone's custom bike. It's really hard on bikes, I've had a Motobecane and a Peugeot but they really aren't made for that.
When I visited The Hague a few years ago I remember I was intrigued by the large number of bicycles I encountered that were squeaking along their dry rusty chains. Now I finally understand. The Dutch just ride.
Old 08-19-17, 12:22 PM
seboros

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I finally managed to get it rideable again.

russian image hosting

Compared to the steel road bikes I have, this one rides likes a comfortable truck. I haven't decided yet if it is a laid back scrambler or a limousine. I plan to equip it with toe clips and straps and a red saddle. A pair of locally made wooden fenders might be another addition. The original dynamo and bulb still work.

russian image hosting

russian image hosting
Old 08-19-17, 01:49 PM
seboros

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Here are some better pics:

image hosting services
Old 08-19-17, 01:49 PM
seboros

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Old 08-19-17, 03:06 PM
non-fixie 
Polymultiplié

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.