Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Strava weight categories

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-17, 01:08 PM
TourDeHood

Bikes: Surly Midnight Special, All-City Big Block, Surly Karate Monkey (sold), Kona Jake(gone)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Strava weight categories

Anyone feel like there needs to be a 250+ or even 300+ for Strava?

I dont know about you, but im sick of being lumped with 200 pound guys. haha
Old 08-18-17, 02:55 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I feel your pain BUT anytime I can crack the top 200 in a segment I feel pretty good. I have about 25 segments around my local riding spots and I am in the tow 40% in most of them and top 200 in 2 of them. I will take it!!!
Old 08-18-17, 04:45 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
HEY, us 200lb guys feel the same way about being lumped in with the 145lb guys. I keep losing KOMs to a 140lb 24-year-old. <shakes fist at sky>
Old 08-18-17, 10:12 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Liked 1,125 Times in 746 Posts
Who cares --- leave your smartphone alone and just ride. ----- how much money is strava paying you anyway? ---
Old 08-18-17, 10:44 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Originally Posted by DMC707
Who cares --- leave your smartphone alone and just ride. ----- how much money is strava paying you anyway? ---
We all ride for different reasons, and that's okay.
Old 08-19-17, 11:09 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
We all ride for different reasons, and that's okay.

Agreed!! I am not a stravoholic BUT its fun to go out on a segment and go bonkers and see what happens.

Strava is definitely a fun app
Old 08-19-17, 09:44 PM
TourDeHood

Bikes: Surly Midnight Special, All-City Big Block, Surly Karate Monkey (sold), Kona Jake(gone)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Right! Im not a slave to it, but I find it fun to follow. To each his/her own I suppose...
Old 08-24-17, 10:43 AM
drewguy

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.3

Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by TourDeHood
Anyone feel like there needs to be a 250+ or even 300+ for Strava?

I dont know about you, but im sick of being lumped with 200 pound guys. haha
Just refuse to pay for premium, get lumped in with everyone, and deal with it!

(I do use Strava, though, but realize I'm not going to be anywhere near KOMs for anything other than perhaps an occasional short downhill -- too many younger, lighter, fitter people, plus group rides that give folks an extra few mph in the draft)
Old 08-24-17, 11:48 AM
Yendor72

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2016 Framed Wolftrax

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I keep thinking, these 200 lb guys that are 6'+, I shouldn't be lumped in with them! They need a short and stout group as well. That being said, I do enjoy having good days on Strava #motivation-Getcha some!
Old 08-25-17, 02:38 PM
InOmaha

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Get an e-bike and blow them away. It's cheaper then using performance enhancing drugs and not as boring as using your car to drive some of the segments.

That's the problem with Strava, there's not much in the way of categories and no good way to know if people are cheating.

I started using it years ago but they kept pushing times and segments like a race instead of personal bests. I stopped caring and use a different app to track my rides that better suits my needs. It may be different now but not worth the effort to go back or pay them to record and analyse things my watch does for me without the annual fee.
Old 08-26-17, 08:05 AM
Sillyak

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sdmc530
I feel your pain BUT anytime I can crack the top 200 in a segment I feel pretty good. I have about 25 segments around my local riding spots and I am in the tow 40% in most of them and top 200 in 2 of them. I will take it!!!
My local segments have 15-30 riders all time. I'm top 10 in a couple (out of 17 riders or so lol)
Old 08-26-17, 11:09 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by Sillyak
My local segments have 15-30 riders all time. I'm top 10 in a couple (out of 17 riders or so lol)

Nice!!

My local segments usually have over 1000 riders...some over 2K! Its crazy so anytime I can get into the top 200 I am good with that effort. 2 so far!
Old 08-26-17, 11:48 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

It looks like a typical segment local to me averages around 600 riders. We have a few 1,500-2,000 within 10 miles of my house. To get up into the ridiculous numbers, you have to get out near the coast-- there are some +15,000 rider segments out there.

The upside/downside is that we have an annual bicycle race here, the Redlands Bicycle Classic-- upside is we get to watch racing every year, downside is there are segments within a mile of my house where guys are doing 30mph up hills. Getting into the top 300 is a challenge.
Old 08-27-17, 12:20 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Liked 1,125 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by InOmaha
Get an e-bike and blow them away. It's cheaper then using performance enhancing drugs and not as boring as using your car to drive some of the segments.

That's the problem with Strava, there's not much in the way of categories and no good way to know if people are cheating.

I started using it years ago but they kept pushing times and segments like a race instead of personal bests. I stopped caring and use a different app to track my rides that better suits my needs. It may be different now but not worth the effort to go back or pay them to record and analyse things my watch does for me without the annual fee.

There ya go! Just use the car or a mini bike and keep the mph somewhat believable !
Old 08-27-17, 02:45 PM
snowman40

Bikes: Fuji

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by InOmaha

There was a guy that turned it on when he rode his motorcycle and just obliterated all the segments along that route...lol Something was definitely up as his rides were public and the route showed him clearly getting on a local highway and accelerating to 70 mph.
Old 08-27-17, 03:48 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Super easy to flag an activity, especially when the rider doesn't have any sensors. KOM Defender is one of my favorite things.
Old 08-27-17, 05:33 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Super easy to flag an activity, especially when the rider doesn't have any sensors. KOM Defender is one of my favorite things.

This is a great idea.....I like it.

I am not this serious about Strava though. Only person I am really trying to beat is myself. If I do good enough to get a high ranking that is awesome but don't much care about any KOM's.

This is a neat program though, Strava should be doing this themselves though. Especially if people are actually paying for premium, that is the least they could do.

I imagine this will type of "cheating" will go on forever though. Oh well!
Old 08-29-17, 07:14 PM
brawlo

Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
I find strava a good tool for keeping track of my riding. I'll never take it to the little and strong guys, but I do like going back historically and seeing my progression over what is years now. That is quite satisfying.

Given that so many rides can be in bunches for me or at times solo, it's losing its relevance and bunches can seriously skew the results you're getting and become more of an indication of how the bunch is progressing if you ride with them regularly. I find it becoming more and more purely a training log
Old 09-02-17, 10:49 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Originally Posted by sdmc530
This is a great idea.....I like it.

I am not this serious about Strava though. Only person I am really trying to beat is myself. If I do good enough to get a high ranking that is awesome but don't much care about any KOM's.

This is a neat program though, Strava should be doing this themselves though. Especially if people are actually paying for premium, that is the least they could do.

I imagine this will type of "cheating" will go on forever though. Oh well!
It's not even about the KOMs-- there are probably 10 rides a week I flag because of an MTB tossed in the back of the car with the Strava App still running. Everybody slides a place down the leaderboard. A rider can trim any ride in Strava, so a ride uploaded with the last five miles at +50mph is just double-laziness.
Old 09-05-17, 12:42 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
This is precious: Once you have been notified of a suspect leader board entry, you should thoroughly investigate the ride on Strava to look for tell-tale signs of bad GPS readings, or segments travelled by car

Yes, you should thoroughly investigate! Ha ha. Cheaters annoy the crap out of me though, so it's a fun little side activity.
Old 09-05-17, 08:47 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Thorough investigation is almost never required. Their speed plot is the usual zig zag, and then all of a sudden, +50mph. Or heart rate will drop to 80bpm while the speed quadruples. I have flagged a few due to bad GPS data, where their plot is making big jaggy jumps across fields or warehouses. One ride with an obvious GPS glitch KOM'd a segment with a speed of 97mph, because the plot just cut through a series of buildings.