Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Do you use your best bike for commuting?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-17, 07:35 AM
snow_echo_NY

Bikes: Scott Genius, Surly Crosscheck, Yuba Mundo cargo, Specialized Dolce Triple (stolen 5/8/15)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my commuter bike is my good bike - is my only bike.

the family bike is nice for getting around with the kid/family. i think if i had to ride it everyday i would hate it though. it's a nice break from the commuter (it's a more relaxed position).

i want to get a nice tour bike. but i'm afraid i would use it to go to work everyday and i park outside so it is a risk. sigh. even parking it indoors where others have access to it would make me nervous. for those of you with private storage that only you have access to, this is a very lucky problem to have
Old 08-25-17, 07:49 AM
highrpm

Bikes: Huffy Sienna Cruiser, Specialized Rockhopper

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My Trek hybrid is an awesome commuter bike. The 32mm tires are perfect for roads. It's light enough. And that flat bar is great for the constant stop-and-go in the city. It's my only bike right now.
Old 08-25-17, 07:55 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Yup. My commuter is the best bike I own. I have an older lower end mountain bike that I like to get dirty on once in a while (it used to be my commuter) but it's inferior to my commuter in every way)

Last edited by Skipjacks; 09-01-17 at 07:18 AM.
Old 08-25-17, 08:26 AM
MatthewJRudd

Bikes: 2012 TREK Madone 3.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do commute with my best bike, which is also my only bike for now. It's a 2012 Madone, it's insured against theft and I lock it up properly. Maybe in a year or so I can pick up a nice hybrid and sling some panniers on it, but right now all my bike $$ go towards upgrades for this machine so it's my only option.
Old 08-25-17, 08:34 AM
cobracommand0
Scrub

Bikes: 1988 Schwinn Caliente, 2011 Trek 820

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My commuter is my nicest bike, a 2011 Trek 820. It's the only bike I've bought new (only about $360) and became my primary since it was so much nicer than the used 1980s Schwinn Caliente I bought back in 2008. The Schwinn is in partial retirement as it needs a new crank.

The Trek has been a good commuter, I recently swapped out 2.00 knobblies for 1.5 Schwalbe's and this has made a huge difference in street riding.
Old 08-25-17, 08:47 AM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Liked 88 Times in 35 Posts
back when i had a long 15 mile one-way commute, i commuted on my lean and mean titanium road bike (my "best" bike) with a backpack as often as the weather would allow.

now that i have a short little 5 mile one-way commute, i commute on my dedicated commuter bike (CX bike with rack/panniers and full fenders) because top end speed isn't much of a priority for me anymore.

and now that i have two little toddlers, i also use the CX bike for weekend rides too, because it has the attachment cleat for the burley child trailer.

my titanium rocket doesn't get much love these days. i can't even remember the last time i rode it.
Old 08-25-17, 10:02 AM
Isolation

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Depends on the weather. If dry roads then the Scott gets to go outside.
Old 08-29-17, 12:29 AM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts

Yes - since I own only one.
Old 09-01-17, 01:19 AM
riprock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Best? Even with qualifiers, that's too subjective. I enjoy both of my main rigs, and I commute with the one least likely to be stolen --the more expensive one. In my city, a 30+ year old road bike is way more likely to get stolen than a new Trek FX. Wear isn't much of an issue, since every part, including the frame, is replaceable (I don't ride collectables, I collect rideables).
Old 09-01-17, 03:59 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
I have a bike (BSO FGSS) at my place in England.

I have one chained up in CPH at the main train station even though I don't live there any longer for use as I often return.

I have one at the lake house in Hungary.

One is also sitting at the in-law in Germany for when I return there.

No need to have more than one bike at each frequently visited location.
Old 09-01-17, 03:27 PM
johngwheeler

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by riprock
Best? Even with qualifiers, that's too subjective. I enjoy both of my main rigs, and I commute with the one least likely to be stolen --the more expensive one. In my city, a 30+ year old road bike is way more likely to get stolen than a new Trek FX. Wear isn't much of an issue, since every part, including the frame, is replaceable (I don't ride collectables, I collect rideables).
That's interesting. What makes an old road bike more attractive to thieves? Surely a new Trek hybrid would be worth more (unless the road bike was a collectible item).

What bike types are most attractive to thieves? I would have though mountain bikes, but maybe I'm wrong!
Old 09-01-17, 09:19 PM
riprock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by johngwheeler
That's interesting. What makes an old road bike more attractive to thieves?
I wish I knew. Maybe it has to do with novelty. In the racks, there are probably eight to ten mountain bikes and hybrids per one road bike. At college, they were an even greater rarity with all the cruisers in the mix.
Old 09-01-17, 10:41 PM
CliffordK

Liked 4,673 Times in 3,455 Posts
My old road bike has lasted many moons without being stolen, so either it isn't on the top of the thieves list, or I don't give them the opportunity.

No chance for a Craigslist flip without me finding it. Still a savvy e-bay strip and part out could net a couple hundred without the frame, maybe.
Old 09-01-17, 11:10 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Liked 4,336 Times in 2,790 Posts
I've commuted on all my bikes. All are set up for 1st class fit with good saddles and cockpits my hands can spend all day on. Every bike feels completely "right" as soon as I clip in. But they are very different. I always keep working a workhorse fix gear with permanent fenders, LowRider rack and U-lock mount. 28#. (The bike that stays if I was told I could keep just one.) It has a plastic covered seat and powdercoat and cares very little about getting even very wet. I have a similar concept geared bike with, in addition, a rear rack.

Both these bikes are good rides. Not as light and fast as would be really nice, but very serviceable. And when conditions get really bad, they shine. I've submerged pedals and nearly the BB on the fix gear fording a puddle to get home from work. Hung it up, showered and got on with my evening. Rode it the next morning. (Secret? Lube everything you can with marine boat trailer hub grease. Wipe it over bare steel surfaces. Water won't touch it or the steel under.)

The geared bike is a 531 frame of classic geometry for poor roads. Fits enormous tires. On snow and ice it is a blast.

Ben
Old 09-01-17, 11:22 PM
catgita

Bikes: Fitz randonneuse, Trek Superfly/AL, Tsunami SS, Bacchetta, HPV Speed Machine, Rans Screamer

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I built a full custom allroad randonneur and use it for my daily commutes. It is several times the cost of my weekend fun bikes, put together. But, it is super reliable, full fenders, dynamo lights, handlebar bag, wide tires, very easy handling, very fast, the perfect commuter bike. It is also on the tour for potential clients at the design firm I work for.
Old 09-02-17, 12:28 AM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts

I guess so, since I own only one bike
Old 09-04-17, 10:50 AM
Smirksalot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes. I have two set up as commuters, both Miyata. One is a six ten, the other is a ninety. That said, the "best" is the ninety and that bike gets ridden a lot more often. To be fair, the frame is the only original part left on that bike, so I could switch everything to a different sport touring type frame and have a very similar bike that would still be "better" than the six ten.
Old 09-04-17, 11:02 AM
esskay1000

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
I use my Fuji Cross bike to commute instead of my Trek Madone fasty bike, mainly because I can get fenders on the Fuji. I actually like riding the Fuji though, it's a decent bike and the way I look at it is that I'm keeping miles off my high-end bike.
Old 09-05-17, 07:50 AM
dpw420

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 17 Aluminum Diverge, and an 18 Carbon Roubaix, I have my Diverge set up with racks for commuting,but when looking at both in the garage it's hard for me to not ride my new hottness!
Old 09-10-17, 10:28 PM
abdulmuiz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Life is short. Take the best and lightest bike with u.

I carry my 91 tachyon everywhere.
Old 09-15-17, 11:47 AM
nayr497

Bikes: How'd I get this many?

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have three bikes set up as "commuting" bike - rear rack, fenders, panniers. One is a SS for rain/snow days when I know I'm not going to feel like cleaning the drive train. One is geared with drop bars. One is geared with riser mtn. bars.

I have a young son so my road riding time is quite limited these days. Thus, some days I'll get geared up and ride one of my really nice road bikes to my office. It sits right next to my desk and I'm lucky and have my own space, so I can keep food and a change of clothes at work.

So, yes. I'll ride my really nice road bikes to work some days.
Old 09-15-17, 04:29 PM
johngwheeler

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Answering my OP

I can probably answer my own OP now.

Since then, I have sold my original "commuter" (Trek Crossrip) and now use my more expensive carbon Giant TCX for commuting (my previous "best bike"). I've have to make some compromises (no rack mounts) and buy some additional luggage (bar bag + backpack for laptop) and clip-on fenders, but the bike is much nicer to ride. It's considerably lighter (easier hill climbs) and the ride quality of the carbon frame is a lot smoother than the aluminum Trek.

But....I've also bought a new road bike, which is now my "best bike", or at least the fastest and most expensive one. I prefer not to use this for commuting because of its thinner tires, and complete lack of luggage capability, but I do take it out now and again in good weather when I don't need to carry anything. I also don't want to add unnecessary wear & tear to the components. I'll keep this for my pleasure rides on the weekend.

However, it looks like I"ll be changing jobs soon, so I don't know whether the next one will have the same secure bike storage as I have now. This could well change my views on bike choice. Depending on the location, I might be reluctant to lock up my Giant in the street - it's still a $2500 bike. If this is the case, then I would be looking to acquire something a bit more utilitarian that wouldn't break my heart to lose.

...and so we come back full circle to my initial commuter bike :-)
Old 09-17-17, 11:19 PM
devianb

Bikes: 2008 Dawes Haymaker 20XX Leader LD515 TotoCycling Road Bike

Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts
Short answer is no. I have three bicycles which have a distinct purpose. My Dawes Haymaker is strictly for bad weather and winter use. I have a Toto Cycling road/track bike I use to sprint to work on good weather days. I have a Leader bike [the nicest one] which is optimized for long distance trips. I used to ride commute to work with it every now and then, but decided to permanently retire it from commuting service when I got a car.
Old 11-12-17, 03:16 PM
carlos danger

Bikes: steel is real. and so is Ti...

Liked 24 Times in 19 Posts
I use my best bike for commuting yes.

Why? Why not? If I'm spending good money on a bike I think those money should be spent on the bike I use the most.
Old 11-13-17, 11:04 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by johngwheeler
I would be looking to acquire something a bit more utilitarian that wouldn't break my heart to lose.
I just don't see how any avid cyclist can say this. All of my bikes I've either payed lots of money for, or built up carefully with my 2 hands, or both. I would be heartbroken to lose any of my bikes, be it my custom built e-bike conversion, my road bike commuter with many mods and changes, or even my 90's KHS MTB which has also been basically torn down and re-built back just the way I like it.

If I had a bike crappy enough that I wouldn't care to lose it, it's would also be one I wouldn't care to ride, either.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.