Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Don't forget to oil your chain

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Don't forget to oil your chain

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-17, 03:01 AM
TMassimo

Bikes: Sirrus Expert Carbon '16

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
I read the product blurb that Finish Line say for that degreaser and it says there is no need to water rinse afterwards, but how does one remove the remnants of the degreaser before applying the lube then?
Apparently, "Speed Degreaser" evaporates quickly leaving no residue.

It's good to quickly remove some dirt off but I wouldn't use it for deep cleaning. It's too expensive.

I use "EcoTech Degreaser" for deep cleaning and always rinse it off with water. I fill the chain bath with soapy water a couple of times and then just water.

I probably should take the chain off afterwards and give it a good spin but I've never taken a chain off before so I just let it air dry
Old 08-31-17, 04:12 AM
speshelite
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scooty Puff Jr
I use a diluted mixture of Simple Green and water, after cleaning the chain I just run the chain through a clean dry rag, let it dry for a couple of minutes and lube it. I've been using Simple Green on my bike chains this way for 20 years with no issues at all. I just started using a chain cleaning "machine" a few weeks ago. I've never used mineral spirits manly because its so caustic and the fumes aren't much fun either.
I've used this method as well, but stopped doing so. The cleaning machine sprays and spills dirty liquid residue everywhere.

Nowadays I just wipe the chain down, drip oil onto each link, spin the crank arms a few times to let the lube seep in, then wipe down a bit for a couple of seconds. Faster and less messy.

I think I'll use the chain cleaning machine next time though. It's a fun chore to do.

edit: I implore everyone to avoid TriFlow for your chain. It is the worst. It creates a black messy goo out of your chain and does not last at all. The last time I used it, I got less than 100 miles of use before the chain started making noise again.

Triflow is very, very popular among bike shop mechanics. Then again, most mechanics and shops can't tell the difference between their head and their rear end.
Old 08-31-17, 05:38 AM
Scooty Puff Jr

Bikes: I'm a Flatbar Guy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by speshelite
I've used this method as well, but stopped doing so. The cleaning machine sprays and spills dirty liquid residue everywhere
I haven't had that problem, maybe because I use a minimal amount of cleaning fluid, and I don't run my chain through the machine very fast, just a couple of slow cranks, and I'm done.

I think to many people over think cleaning bike chains, as long as it gets wiped down and lubed regularly, then just enjoy your ride. I'm heading out for a ride right now before the heat and rain set in later.
Old 08-31-17, 11:29 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Liked 312 Times in 220 Posts
Originally Posted by TMassimo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0QvczynzkM

It's good to quickly remove some dirt off but I wouldn't use it for deep cleaning. It's too expensive.
Thanks for bringing this product to my attention.
Old 09-02-17, 05:12 AM
coominya

Bikes: Giant ToughRoad Giant talon

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Yes, but $2 degreaser from the auto shop is water soluble, you just rinse it off. The secret is not getting it into places you don't want it hey, but I think the speed link chain is the best innovation myself. Whip it off, shake it around in a bottle of kerosene for 5 minutes, repeat in clean kero, and hang overnight.
Old 09-02-17, 11:16 AM
a1penguin

Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
I had my bike services with the mobile that comes to the office monthly. The guy there told me I was over oiling my chain! I live in Norcal and don't ride often in the rain and it's never cold here. He had nits about oils and waxes and recommended T-9 as a happy medium for the road riding conditions in our area.
Old 09-02-17, 06:50 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by coominya
... but I think the speed link chain is the best innovation myself. Whip it off, shake it around in a bottle of kerosene for 5 minutes, repeat in clean kero, and hang overnight.
That's how I do it except I use LO mineral spirits.
Old 09-02-17, 07:26 PM
Scooty Puff Jr

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for bringing this product to my attention.
Hey Colonel, this is my cleaning regiment, using a "dummy hub" after a nice cleaning with the diluted Simple Green, couple clean rags, and the machine. You can use your own judgement.

Last edited by Scooty Puff Jr; 09-02-17 at 08:18 PM.
Old 09-02-17, 07:56 PM
Scooty Puff Jr

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I like this "Chain Luber", gets it done right using "Epic Ride" with no mess.

Last edited by Scooty Puff Jr; 09-02-17 at 08:14 PM.
Old 09-03-17, 02:10 AM
TMassimo

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Speed degreaser can be useful in some circumstances but I find the Park Tool CM5.2 machine very, very useful and effective.

omg, I need to get that "Chain Luber". I waste so much lube. Thanks for mentioning it.

Has anyone tried FL Ceramic Wax Lube?
Old 09-03-17, 02:11 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

I like this "Chain Luber", gets it done right using "Epic Ride" with no mess.
I like the look of your setup.

Where did you get the applicator that you are using to apply the Epic Ride?
Old 09-03-17, 08:17 AM
Scooty Puff Jr

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I like the look of your setup.

Where did you get the applicator that you are using to apply the Epic Ride?
Got it Walmart, it was around $6 and came with a 8oz bottle of Epic Ride lube, it works much better than I thought it would.
Old 09-04-17, 03:01 AM
TMassimo

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I just ordered this PT Master Link Pliers so I can remove the chain after washing it, give it a good spin and let it air dry overnight before applying lube. The problem is the weather here isn't very optimal for air drying anything. It's ok at the moment with temp up to 72F and a few sunny days but it won't last long before it starts raining (it's raining right now).

This might sound a bit silly but can I let the wet chain dry in a fan assisted oven at low temp for a few mins? Wouldn't that be quicker than let it air dry overnight where rust might starts to form? Just wondering...
Old 09-04-17, 03:52 AM
Scooty Puff Jr

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I just ordered this PT Master Link Pliers so I can remove the chain after washing it, give it a good spin and let it air dry overnight before applying lube. The problem is the weather here isn't very optimal for air drying anything. It's ok at the moment with temp up to 72F and a few sunny days but it won't last long before it starts raining (it's raining right now).

This might sound a bit silly but can I let the wet chain dry in a fan assisted oven at low temp for a few mins? Wouldn't that be quicker than let it air dry overnight where rust might starts to form? Just wondering...
Why not just dry it by running it through a clean towel ? It does seem silly to me to try and dry it in a oven.
Old 09-04-17, 04:20 AM
TMassimo

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Why not just dry it by running it through a clean towel ? It does seem silly to me to try and dry it in a oven.
so it's ok to apply lube even if the chain is not totally dry?
Old 09-04-17, 01:13 PM
Scooty Puff Jr

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I clean my chain on my bike using a chain cleaning machine, and I've always just ran my clean chain through a clean dry towel a few times, let it sit for a couple minutes then lube it. Remember its just a bike chain, they're pretty tough, there's not a lot you could clean it with short of soaking it in saltwater, that will affect its life. Basically what I'm saying is don't over think it, and keep it lubed.
Old 09-04-17, 04:55 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
It depends on what you used to clean the chain with. If it's mineral spirits it will be fine. If something else, perhaps not.
Old 09-04-17, 05:31 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

I have seen accounts of people on these forums who oven bake their chains at approx. 100 degrees Celsius or a bit higher, to make sure it is truly dried out.
Old 09-05-17, 07:23 AM
Scooty Puff Jr

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Its just a bike chain guys, I don't think I've ever heard of someone's bike chain failing prematurely because they didn't rinse/dry it before applying lube. As long as you wipe it down and keep it lubed, it will be fine.

Why anyone would use mineral spirits when there's so many non toxic degreasers out there blows my mind. That stuff is nasty, the fumes alone keeps me from using it for anything other than maybe cleaning paint brushes.