Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Bontrager CX3 tire on my hybrid?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-17, 10:39 AM
highrpm

Bikes: Huffy Sienna Cruiser, Specialized Rockhopper

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I have a Trek FX 7.4 with the AW1 tires. I mostly used it to commute ad ride paved roads in the past.

This year I started to ride the dirt roads near my house a little more.

My AW1tires are getting worn out. I heard good things about the CX3 tire. In 32mm width,it's actually lighter than the AW1. I was thinking they would be great for the dirt roads.

Do you guys have experience with these tires on paved roads? Will they feel slower than the AW1? Will they last as long?
Old 09-11-17, 08:26 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
this is a good question for the "Recreational Cyclocross and Gravelbiking" forum

Bontrager makes great tires. However, you probably want a gravel tire. I like the ones that are tubeless ready, and have a very low profile (or file tread) in the center. I love the 32mm Continental 4 season - its as fast as anything but a dedicated race tire. You might consider going up to 35mm or 40mm if ride quality is more important to you than weight. I use a Maxxis Rambler 40mm for rougher dirt rides. Short knobs are still plenty fast on pavement.